86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn... I only got one pic yesterday but will get some up later today or tonite. I should of taken several just so I could of remembered what all I actually did get done. Seems like it is the big blue connector that causes the problem. I thought Mistys truck was the only one with that problem, didnt realize it was a fairly common problem. It will put permanent scratches in.

Hello Mark.. I got that on Mistys truck and really no way ofremoving them. I did get her a new glass but the tracks are rusty. I do seem to remember that it is the lock assembly. It was done from the PO and by the time I got it the damage was done. I was able to get it off of the glass but not before the damage was done.

What you guys have in the boneyards are in better shape then what I get a hold of. One guy was asking about getting one as they are hard to find here. I told him that if I wanted a clean one for the cost of a plane ticket and about $400 in fuel I would check west Texas to California. I think I could tell if one would make a long drive by checking it well and having the basic tools and a AFM,Ignitor/Coil assembly, TPS and doing a parking lot tune up.

I had a new 98 Ranger that was only 6 months old that broke down on me in coming out of Flagstaff down Interstate 17 on those hills and curves. Front brake pad just came off of its mountin plate. Had to do a parking lot fix in Phoenix. It ate up the rotor, but there is no place to get n fixed in that area. A new car isnt a guarantee.

I am at the airport, ready to go. lol.. Wifey never knows which airport to pick me up at as if I have a long wait for one airport, I will take a flight to the next closest one.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I spent all day getting the 85 out and cleaned where it was sitting. Got the shop washed out and getting the top prepped, more masking, getting the inside of the hood took alot of time as it was a greasy mess, servicing the air compressor as much as I could, giving the paint gun a good cleaning and a hundered other small things. It will probably be another 3 or 4 hours before I start painting. Got to get my coffee in me as my body just doesnt function without cafeine.

I want to remove the tires and paint the inner wheel wells. Got to wait for it to warm up as it is a little chilly yet and then spray on the sealer, wait a little while, then the paint and wait a little more and then the clear. It is getting painted to day even if I have to get a paint brush and roller as we are getting rain tomorrow, it will be a long day getting there, but am ready to see it on color at the end of the day.

Did have one of my nephews over helping for a couple of hours as he is wanting to learn to do his 98 Dodge Extended cab. Always enjoy working with him.

I would like a little more distance between the top and the truck so will have to pay attention when painting on that side. Will try and situate the area a little better before painiting.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will add more info to these pics later. Letting dust settle and getting ready for paint.

Think this is the couse of scratches in the rear window.

On top of my finger is the release cable for tail gate.

Pic for dakotatwho.

Primed under fender well and lowered.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahh so a major connector comes outa its clip an rides on the glass huh sounds like a reason for 2part epoxy for one side to hold it in the clip so when connected it stays in the clip!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
So what happens to that cable, Terry? I see LOTS more of it is exposed, in comparison to, let's say, the dash climate cables? Do they SPIN OUT and turn into pig tails like I've seen happen to you with others? Or just get sticky inside the cable guide? I would REALLY like to get it tight, so thanks for the pic! I REALLY want to get that pressure off the edges of the window caused by the door not 'LATCHING' shut on the passenger side of the gate.

Also, ..... need to REALLY read through that whole 'rear window jumper' section again.... I've not spent much time on it... but i JUST DON'T get it just yet! hahaha. I think I read it a lil bit and then look at that one picture of wiring and HAHAHAHA! Lemme give it another try!

BTW, HOLY COW ,.... I went to clean the lenses on the License Plate light... The covers? That thing DID NOT go back SUPER easy.... was like 3 pieces and flopping all over, ...hard to get leverage... I would DEFINITELY do it differently next time.... BUT, got it back in and it's MUCH brighter. I'm going to do LED's in there, most likely... (those are pretty pricey though.... not sure lol.

Once again..... a servant of the Yota-Brethren! I'm grateful, Terry, thanks man!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello guys.. Just got a moment and getting ready to go wet sand the sealer.

Trimmed in.

In Sealer.

Sealed up the cab.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM

HOLY MACKEREL, ......I'm excited! lol...... Sure, not as much as you, obviously... but still, can't wait! LOVE that color!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:08 PM

smoooth top finish terry? its what im gona do dont much like the rough texture myself
Old 09-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. I started at 7 this morning and it is now 9 pm. It was a long day. Got to remove some bugs and repair the tailgate. Was not happy with how the tailgate turned out. Still need to clear coat. But the biggest part is done.

Hello Cyberhorn.. My top was already smooth. It hasnt been repainted and this morning was the first time that I even did any repairs to it at all. I had thoug of rougher and smoother so I left it as it was. Happy with the way it turned out.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Still need to clear coat and repair the tailgate. I did get a few bugs in the paint so will need to remove them when the paint dries and do a slight touch up and then clear coat it. I have a dental surgery at noon, so it might be tomorrow evening before I can clear it and finish the tailgate. Possibly even Saturday, but I am happy with where it is for now.

First coat for tacking up the sealer. I am a big believer in sealer. It was some extra work, but like the finish and will use it from now on.

I think the black sealer did change the color a little more then I expected, but I like it. Still alot better then what it was. This truck was in bad shape when I started. Jason seen how bad it was and that was after I cleaned it up alot. It even runs under it own power now.

2nd coat

Will get the rest of the engine bay at a later time. I want everything under there looking new, just may be a while.

Where I stopped for tonite. Need to redo the tailgate. The white paint hid some damages and I just wouldnt be satisfied. I did miss about 3 small hail dings. Almost brave enough to paint black. Almost, not just yet.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome terry, can't wait to see some sun light pics better yet can't wait to see it in person.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 PM

HEY, .... you rock! lol.... Seriously, nice work, man... i wish I could have some space to do a bunch of practice painting. I am usually pretty good at it... But to paint MY RIG? mehhhh, ...not even gonna happen.. i'm too anal about every lil thing! hahaha(too hard on myself on my own work in that kinda stuff, ya know? hehe..

CONGRATZ, MAN! Totally different blue than I'd thought, ... I think, haha. I'll have to wait for some new pics in the sun with the clear on, etc... But if it's what it looks like to my eye... I LIKE IT TOO! It's definitely an interesting shade.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 AM

that is an excellent color terry really nice! an the metalic hue to it just sets it off
how much does the sealer run you?how much did it take to do the truck? (this for my future information)
Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
So what happens to that cable, Terry? I see LOTS more of it is exposed, in comparison to, let's say, the dash climate cables? Do they SPIN OUT and turn into pig tails like I've seen happen to you with others? Or just get sticky inside the cable guide? I would REALLY like to get it tight, so thanks for the pic! I REALLY want to get that pressure off the edges of the window caused by the door not 'LATCHING' shut on the passenger side of the gate.

Hello Mark.. I am thinking that the back glass water seal at the top of the gate might possibly get a little water in and cause them to rust or freeze inside the cable. Mine was so frozen that I tried to soak it in different rust disolvers to free it up. After 3 days, I said to heck with it and grabbed the slug with a pair of pliers and pulled til something was gonna happen. It did, the slug ripped off of the cable. So I then twisted what was left of the cable onto the end of the pliers and pulled with everything I had. It still wouldnt budge. I dont know of a way to free it once it is stuck.

Also, ..... need to REALLY read through that whole 'rear window jumper' section again.... I've not spent much time on it... but i JUST DON'T get it just yet! hahaha. I think I read it a lil bit and then look at that one picture of wiring and HAHAHAHA! Lemme give it another try!

On Mistys truck, hers was loose from the clip that holds it. There isnt alot of room between the connector and the window. Hers was damaged when I got it. There isnt anyway to get to that clip without the window up that I know of. By the pictures I see, you are like me and have some thick hands and it can be a little tight getting behind the lift assembly to get to the connector.

BTW, HOLY COW ,.... I went to clean the lenses on the License Plate light... The covers? That thing DID NOT go back SUPER easy.... was like 3 pieces and flopping all over, ...hard to get leverage... I would DEFINITELY do it differently next time.... BUT, got it back in and it's MUCH brighter. I'm going to do LED's in there, most likely... (those are pretty pricey though.... not sure lol.

Mistys was rusted up and had to use the ones off of my truck when it was a parts truck to get it fixed. I had to take two and make one. Still havent came across another one yet to fix mine so it will have to wait or come up with another solution.

Once again..... a servant of the Yota-Brethren! I'm grateful, Terry, thanks man!
Thanks...I try to be a little useful every once in awhile.

Painting is really the easy part. It is the preparation that can take awhile to do and it is the final stages that seem to take me the longest. For the most part you use alot of the techniques you would use on rattle can painting. Not trying to over simplify it, but what I start with usually anything is better then what it was before. If I had a truck as nice as yours, I would probably want it to be professionally done or using some REALLY expensive paint. Some brands out there can go thru the roof. Misty orginally wanted hers Candy Apple Red and it takes several layers of different coats and have to be applied perfect.

If you want to see if it is for you, grab an old hood and practice on it. The reason I say a hood as it will flex in the center and that is where you will find out if you have the patience for doing bodywork and then you can get some really cheap guns and paint to see what it looks like when you are done. All of the rest of the body parts will take alot of pressure and not flex. One reason I like to take a bombed out truck and seeing what I can do with it. It will be better and if it isnt perfect I can live with it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-21-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
ahh so a major connector comes outa its clip an rides on the glass huh sounds like a reason for 2part epoxy for one side to hold it in the clip so when connected it stays in the clip!
Hello Cyberhorn..I just had to reseat hers, but when I got the 88, it had the backglass broken out of it and it may of gotten loose then. So I may not be completely right about it just coming loose but cant say for sure. I know that I had checked it not too long ago for comparing some parts from a 2nd gen runner and it was still sitting nice and tight.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
that is an excellent color terry really nice! an the metalic hue to it just sets it off
how much does the sealer run you?how much did it take to do the truck? (this for my future information)
Hello Cyberhorn.. It wasnt quite the color I thought it would be, but am happy with it. Think it will look like a runner finally when I get all of the things back on it. That will free up some shop space. Wahoo!!!

I have around $350 in painting materials. You can spend alot more then that easily. I am guessing the sealer will cost around 30 to 50 dollars. About half of quart was all I needed and had some left over. One guy I talked to says the 2 part is better then the other type. It will hae one solid color over just primer and paint that can show thru when just using primer.

On the weekend car shows, Kevin Tetz suggst using it and says some painters dont believe in it. I guess a professional painter might could do without it as they know how to get everything perfect, but for the weekend painter, I think it really helps.

The guy that taught me to paint doesnt believe in it and this is the 2nd time I have used it. I was able to work on a couple of flaws before I painted. If I would of just primed and painted, I would of had to deal with them. It actually did fill in a couple of small flaws.

It probably added another 3 hours. One for dry time and 2 for wet sanding and fixing some spots I didnt get right. Other then the tail gate, I think I had 3 small, small, dings. I doubt anybody could find them. I just found them when I sprayed it. No way that I would of seen them in just primer.

The first coat, just go with a light mist. It has a really slick surface and can run easily. I came close to getting a run, but left it alone and it set up nice. After it tacked up, I painted as normal and as far as I know, I dont have any runs. That is a first for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks guys..I was catching up from Jason posted, as that was where I left off. I got the clear on and what a difference it made. I am happy with how it looks. I do have some orange peel and every bug in the county landed on it and I did get some runs in the clear coat. I am not worried about the runs, orange peel or even the bugs as most of it will wet sand out as I had all of this to happen in the past. Just part of having to use a regular shop as a paint booth.

A total repaint isnt out of the question if I dont get it to where I want it, as I know I can get it there, but if I can get it smooth and glossy with the way it looks now, I am more then happy.

Tomorrow if I am not to tired and everything is dried, I want to get the runner back together and get the truck back in the shop as we are to get some rain and the windshield leaks bad. Want to get the shop back together and still need to finish the tailgate. That is the one thing that still needs to get painted. Not sure what color to do the mud guards in front of the rear tires.

Still alot to do, wet sand, polish, buff and get all of the trim on. Hopefully I can get the tires on and get it outside for some picture. The glare inside the shop just wouldnt let some good pics to turn out.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM

eagerly waiting for the pictures, an thank you for the info on the sealer as im using rattle can primer an paint for the time being i'll need the sealer to help the eventual real paint job to hold an look its best
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear your happier with how it turned out with the clear I've been worried for ya lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM

PICS, please, before I have an anxiety attack! hehehe... But really, I'm very excited to see it, man!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance