86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Jason!!! Cool, couple guru's in you're own rights knocking stuff out!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello nmtoy... Still to have a truck looking as good as your after all these years is a hard find. I too am ready for winter to end.

Hello cyberhorn... The roads only got worse. It started out dry but when we got finished up it was some slick snow.

Hello Mark.. We did not get as much done as we would of liked as we only got one day instead of two but got a few things taken care of.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This was on the same day. The weather started out coldddd, but the shop was nice and toasty. It was 15-20 degrees. We got the heater core fixed.
Name:  jason%205_zpscjrgc2bs.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  34.7 KB

Here was Jason getting the passenger side put back in. I did not get many pictures as I would of liked but we were trying to get as much done as possible.
Name:  jason%206_zpswgkjnnfx.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  34.4 KB

One hang up that we ran into was his runner had an aftermarket evaporator installed in it and we put in a factory evaporator in. Along with getting the system cleaned which added some time to the project. My air compressor broke the other day and we took the replacement evaporator to the car wash and it freezing. I have 3 evaporators and all three were dirty. I wish I would of gotten a picture of the gunk that come out of the evaporator.

Aftermarket evaporator and getting the wiring all straightened out took a while.
Name:  jason%202_zpsksxmshdf.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  47.8 KB

Here we loaded it up and headed for Branson. Weather changed quickly and got nasty.
Name:  jason%204_zps16h59lh7.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  42.4 KB

Jason was able to use it for getting around in Branson which is hilly, curvy and with the weather was slick. Here we are getting it loaded back up for the trip for the way home.
Name:  jason%207_zpsw1skshqw.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  39.3 KB
Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks great! Sorry the weather wasn't cooperating...expecting anywhere from 4 to 12 inches at our place today depending on where you get your weather from. Hope he got out of there safe!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man that yellow runner stands out lookin good jason
Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted to say thanks to terry for everything we got done. For anyone who might question Terry's knowledge of these trucks I'm here to say I doubt there is anyone better. One look at my A/C switch in the dash and he knew that wasn't right, one look at the evap box and knew that wasn't right. His stash of parts is amazing and he gave me the best of what he had. We didn't get as much done as either of us would have liked but I know have a ton of knowledge that I did not have. Not sure when it will happen but I'm already looking forward to the next time we get to hang out and wrench on something.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 86 Toy... The weather got bad for a while and as then got better as the next day went on. It sounds like yesterday was our last blast of winter or so I hope. I dont care for winter but I will say I actually enjoyed this winter when I was in the shop. Having heat out there made this one of the most enjoyable winters I have had. Still dont like having to get outside but once I am in a warm building, it can get 50 feet deep in snow and I am good, lol

Hello Cyberhorn.. We all met up in Branson and my oldest son seen Jasons runner sitting in a parking spot and said that was a cool looking truck. He did not know it was Jasons so I played along with him saying how cool it was that there was two yellow 86 runners in Branson that day. It was funny when he finally found out it was Jasons. hehe

Thanks Jason.. I enjoy working on others just as much as mine when it is more then just a daily driver and you know it is going to kept around for a long time. Maybe several years later when these trucks are like the Model A, one of them I worked on is still around. Trying to do my part to keep them on the road. Doesnt have to be a Toyota to be wrenching on and always enjoy wrenching with you. Know of any Dodges out there, lol It was fun.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The weather changed on us quick and things had been planned for quite some time to be in Branson. It started out great and went bad quickly after about 12 oclock. We were going to have two days to work on it but lost a day due to bad weather. Just to change a heater core is at best a 4 hour job for me and I have done them several times. We only had about 7 hours to work on it. When you have to clean and get the correct parts it starts eating up time quick.

I am the idiot that when there is winter warnings that will still be on the road out there. I can get around in two wheel when I have to and will go across country for a snow cone if I wanted one. Bad weather wont keep me home. On our way to Branson I tried to teach Misty how to drive on bad roads and after about 20 miles of letting her drive on it, she was ready to let me drive and I was ready to get back in the drivers seat. She only has to drive a mile to work and it is an easy drive and we both decided other then driving to work, I will be the one that does the bad weather driving. At least she tried.

It was our Anniversary the other day and havent been out in the shop for the past few days. I had to swap a head gasket on my brothers truck and it has been in there for the past few days. I just need to set timing and check the valve lash and it should be done. He is getting antsy about not having his truck so will get that finished up today. Got the shop warming up and trying to get rid of some fire wood as I hope this is the last of winter and want to get the wood out of the way.

I was going to work the other day and my steering started getting sloppy on my 86. The Idler Arm went bad just that quick with no warning. On the way home I took it nice and slow on the back roads to get it home. I have replaced several Idler Arms on trucks and it is a high failure item. Luckily I am always scanning different sites for parts and I found one on clearance on Rockauto a while back and just put it on the shelf.

If the Idler Arm gets loose, you can change the bushings in the arm itself but mine was at the stud where the castle nut goes and you have to change the whole assembly it isnt bad. Also if it does drop like mine did, it can be a little scary thinking it will fall out and you could lose control. This is the second time I have had one to do this on me and I just take it easy and slow when this happens. It wont come apart that easily but would not suggest to keep driving one if this happens.

Just above my pointer finger, the 3/8-1/2 inch of the shiney stud is what come loose and will cause a lot of slop in the steering wheel. No real way of fixing this one, just add it to the scrap bin. This part does tend to fail quite a bit and easy to change out. It was a 10 minute fix and back on the road.
Name:  idler%20arm%201_zpscl7iv3x8.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  24.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-06-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:40 AM

yeah mine is worn as well though i think its just the main pivot bit of a clunk i wont know what to do once ive changed mine ive never felt it without being a bit loose LOL i wonder if my old one is rebuildable?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I seen a thread on here somewhere and tried to find it and it showed the part numbers for the bushings. Cant find it now, grrr. They were also saying to add a zerk fitting to prolong the life of an idler arm. I might try to find it again and add the zerk fitting to mine eventually. I am the same way, wouldnt know what to do if everything worked like it should, lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had some spare evaporators left over when we did Jasons runner and am taking the best of two and making another evaporator for a future project and get rid on one bad evaporator to free up shelf space. I had cleaned these with an air hose but still alot of dirt is in them. I made a thread from Toms build https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...trucks-286766/ on cleaning the ventilation system. I later found out that you can purchase a new evaporator for about $120 on that thread. These get dirty and can cause a mildew smell if dirty or drain line is clogged. Also a reason for wet carpets.
Name:  ac%2023_zpsghieohlk.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  22.7 KB

Just some of the dirt out of an evaporator. Usually I just go to the carwash with it. I used a shop sink, wife would of killed me if I had done this in the kitchen sink.
Name:  ac%2022_zpsgfbjcpx6.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  32.8 KB

I just clean the case with a toilet brush and Simple Green.
Name:  ac%2019_zpsthuov7gk.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  34.7 KB

You can pull the controller out to get the case clean. Just loosen two tabs and slide controller out.
Name:  ac%2020_zpspmb7dy86.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  46.6 KB

Not sure if you can see but these controllers have 2 different part numbers. I cant see any difference and would bet they are interchangeable but dont know for sure.
Name:  ac%2018_zpse0hhui9r.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  40.2 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

When doing my brother head gasket, I marked the head bolts with a marker just to keep track of the order of tightening them. Makes it a lot easier and quicker.
Name:  ac%2025_zpskfedpsyg.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 PM

any indication why it popper the head gasket terry?
i am so dreading the day i have to go in an clean the evap coil on mine

spent the day working on the cars an a lot in the kids 79 to find out whats got to be modified for the seats and fixing the floor rust do you think an ad for wanted floor pans might get me some help terry?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Dont know how I missed your post. I have bought some panels from Wolf Steel if I recall right, it is a Canadian country and was happy with the quality. Not sure about floor pans. Trying an ad cant hurt.

Doing the Evaporator is not a bad job at all. I think it is about an hour job at the most. Take it to the carwash to get it clean. Use low pressure. Lots of gunk will come out. It is an easy job. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...trucks-286766/ I need to get Mistys cleaned up here very soon.

I sure hope it doesnt pop another gasket. Not sure why the first one popped but the second one was a poor quality gasket and he was taking the cheap way out. A 22r is so much quicker and easier to do with a Webber. Hope he learned his lesson on cheap parts. This was supposed to be a project truck and he turned it into a daily driver real quick with out going thru several other systems and other then the head gaskets it has been a great little truck. He has some other things he wants to do to it someday.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Was taking my air compressor to get some parts for it and was sitting at the light. Light turned green and was concerned a car wasnt paying attention so took off harder then I really wanted to and the compressor fell to the rear. I had it braced for normal conditions but it still fell and knocked out my rear glass on the 3rd gen, grrr...

I have a new back glass and tail gate mostly apart. Does not look like too bad of a repair. First damage I have done to this truck in the 13 years of owning it. Stumbling my way thru repair of a 3rd gen tailgate. If it was a first gen I would feel more comfortable with the repair. I used the 3rd gen due to having a larger trunk area. Never again will I be without a truck. 85 shouldnt be much longer to get on the road. I am taking pictures of the repair on a 3rd gen tailgate and will add more tomorrow.

New glass only weighs about 4 pounds but a broken glass generates 20 pounds of glass. Got the glass out of the truck area and need to get it out of the tailgate.
Name:  rear%20glass%201_zpshsgmfirv.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-23-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Well that sucks. Live and learn.
at 1st I thought you got rear ended. At least no one hurt and no need to involve insurance companies. You will still find glass in a month or so. It goes every where just like beach sand..
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 PM

shop vac and a toilet bowl brush (clean of course) as you vacuum brush with the pile of the carpet gently watched dozens of broken in cars at the dealerships i worked at as security get cleaned up the brush helps pull the carpet fibers open to let the glass out

very glad no one was hurt
Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Robb.. One small piece does rattle and I think I have finally gotten it out. I was trying to avoid being hit and it bit me in the rear. I watch about as much behind me as I do in front but was really frustrated as I have really done very little damage to any of my trucks unless it was especially just for abuse or work.

Thanks Cyberhorn...I will give that a try. It broke into a million pieces and and various sizes. I have to floor mats for the rear. One for carrying things and one for looks. Glad I had the working mat in.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will do a write up on the back glass install on a 3rd gen later but I do have it in. More of a pain then I thought it would be but is doable and a second set of hands is a must.

A few of the guys I work with has been having bad luck. One hit a deer with his Dodge Ram, another has some issue with his Chevy truck, and a third guy I work with was hit head on in a company truck by a drunk 19 year old. Guess I felt as I needed to join in the party.

It is now in.
Name:  bg%206_zpsyxovuwpg.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 05-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have mentioned that I dont care for the SR5 guage that has the hashmarks on the face. The needle will break on you when you try to remove it. Here is some videos on how to do it without breaking the needle.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-28-2015 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance