86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had a guy come look at my Camaro on Saturday. He is going to come up with the cash in 2 weeks. Then this build thread will really get down to business!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahahaha.... dang, Brian, ...you really asked for it on this one, eh? lol.... Glad to hear the YelloRunner Condom is keeping things safe for ya! hehe. Hey, ....ever see Sin City? Remember that Yellow guy? haha.

And seriously.... 1000$????? Ehhh, I'm sure CA has plenty of stupid stuff like that, ....heck, they make that much every year on MANY people, just in Smog Repair Mandates! lol.
Hahaha Mark that made me laugh!

And yeah up to a grand for snow ugh. Either way i won't be paying that thanks to the condom lol. And yeah you Californians have crazy smog laws. That stinks
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont letem get to ya brian you are just mlti purposeing, there cant be alot of uses for an xxxxxxxxxx lg condom lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
dont letem get to ya brian you are just mlti purposeing, there cant be alot of uses for an xxxxxxxxxx lg condom lol.
Yes!!! Thank you!!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Brian, ....did you do shox when you did your front end? Just curious. I'll check back and read back again later tonight. I'm gonna review my OME-Nitro/Sports soon(made for 2" lift)... Thought maybe you'd like em even more cuz, well, they're BRIGHT YELLOW! Lol.

Best wishes on the sale, bud!

Mark
Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Hey Brian, ....did you do shox when you did your front end? Just curious. I'll check back and read back again later tonight. I'm gonna review my OME-Nitro/Sports soon(made for 2" lift)... Thought maybe you'd like em even more cuz, well, they're BRIGHT YELLOW! Lol.

Best wishes on the sale, bud!

Mark
Yeah i changed my shocks to the ProComp shocks but i do like the OME shocks for 2 reasons,

1. i'm sure they are WAY better than the ProComps
2. they're yellow

How much did the 4 shocks run ya?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Page 86 now, my 4Runner is 1986...
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Brian, I have a real truck cover here that was big enough to fit over my full size bronco that should fit over your 4runner, I'll trade ya for your 4:56's or trail gear bumper. After all the cover is worth $1,000 right? lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Hey Brian, I have a real truck cover here that was big enough to fit over my full size bronco that should fit over your 4runner, I'll trade ya for your 4:56's or trail gear bumper. After all the cover is worth $1,000 right? lol.
See i'm gonna need those 4.56's and the rear bumper i really want just straight cash because to be honest i don't have tons of use for a cover other than the 1 or 2 times a year its gonna snow really badly.

If you had other things to trade for my rear bumper we could make a deal though. I think you should buy the Trail Gear 4Runner rear bumper and we could just swap!

Thanks anyway.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Hey Brian,

Well, I only got the 3 up front, 2 -OME60072 Shocks and 1 - OMESD33 Stabilizer. Those three(they're the top end of the OME's for our rigs, I guess, lol) ..... 279$

I will do the Rears, too, ...but need to do some measurements flexed and stuffed, etc., to be SURE I get the right ones for the extra height with the Zuk. I think the rears are less.(Plus, I'm gonna throw a Spartan Locker in the rear, most likely.....AKA-MORE MONEY for now, lol....so I'll probably see how my Rancho 5000's hold out till summer) I would of bought all 4 if they were a package, ....but there was no price brake, unless you buy the entire OME Lift Kit, front and rear. (I'm kinda customizing my IFS and rear stuff, .....but I'm finding some GREAT prices on some OEM stuff, etc., ...so it's all worth it.)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-26-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Hey Brian,

Well, I only got the 3 up front, 2 -OME60072 Shocks and 1 - OMESD33 Stabilizer. Those three(they're the top end of the OME's for our rigs, I guess, lol) ..... 279$

I will do the Rears, too, ...but need to do some measurements flexed and stuffed, etc., to be SURE I get the right ones for the extra height with the Zuk. I think the rears are less.(Plus, I'm gonna throw a Spartan Locker in the rear, most likely.....AKA-MORE MONEY for now, lol....so I'll probably see how my Rancho 5000's hold out till summer) I would of bought all 4 if they were a package, ....but there was no price brake, unless you buy the entire OME Lift Kit, front and rear. (I'm kinda customizing my IFS and rear stuff, .....but I'm finding some GREAT prices on some OEM stuff, etc., ...so it's all worth it.)
Wow Mark i didn't realize how expensive those shocks are.

Are these better than top end Fox or Bilstein shocks per say?

Thanks for those part numbers, as i'd like to upgrade to a better shock eventually.

Glad to see that your build is coming along. Throwing a Spartan locker in your DD eh? I need to look into lockers, i'd like an ARB but i don't wanna pay for it or wire it up.

But again glad to see your build is coming along! I'll have to pop into your build thread sometime.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxft9pFcSY

A friend of mine took this video he narrates most of it, he DOES NOT know Toyota lol you'll have to pardon his mistakes. This was taken about a month ago.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Wow Mark i didn't realize how expensive those shocks are.

Are these better than top end Fox or Bilstein shocks per say?

Thanks for those part numbers, as i'd like to upgrade to a better shock eventually.

Glad to see that your build is coming along. Throwing a Spartan locker in your DD eh? I need to look into lockers, i'd like an ARB but i don't wanna pay for it or wire it up.

But again glad to see your build is coming along! I'll have to pop into your build thread sometime.
Hahaha... love the video, btw.

Yeah, that's actually cheaper than most sites, from what I found. They do have a cheaper shock, I think... not positive on that. I know most I've read also love the way the Steering Stabilizer improves the ride, too. Far as the top end Fox, ....you're talking a bit more, from what I know. Most of the really top end ones are in the hundreds, each, on the Fox, ...but those are rebuildable. I'm just trying to do the best I can with the least money. Plus, I like that I KNOW that these shocks are made for 2" lift. From everything I've read, it's hard to find an answer on the Bilsteins for that lift, but easy for a 4" lift. I don't want a 4" lift on my IFS, ...and I don't want SAS in it either, so these are fine.

Far as having a locker, ....this truck actually did around 40% off road, the first 4 years I owned it(bought it in 2002)... then I started driving the bosses CRV most often, and also, as mine started to age a lot, ...I slowed WAY down on the trips, plus was working more, raising both my teenage daughters, ....and well, my 'wilderness life' pretty much took a hiatus! hahaha. I used to pretty much live in the Angeles Crest every weekend, or Sequoias, or Sierras, .....and I could have used a lunchbox locker many times, like I had in my last 4Runner....NIGHT AND DAY, bro, seriously. My 99 Toy had an E-locker, which I liked, but also, not cheap, lol. For 250$ or so, I can get a very decent one that will get me into plenty of mischief, lol. Yotarob is loving his, and I really respect his opinion and Yukon Products, ..so I'm on it! hahaha.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Hahaha... love the video, btw.

Yeah, that's actually cheaper than most sites, from what I found. They do have a cheaper shock, I think... not positive on that. I know most I've read also love the way the Steering Stabilizer improves the ride, too. Far as the top end Fox, ....you're talking a bit more, from what I know. Most of the really top end ones are in the hundreds, each, on the Fox, ...but those are rebuildable. I'm just trying to do the best I can with the least money. Plus, I like that I KNOW that these shocks are made for 2" lift. From everything I've read, it's hard to find an answer on the Bilsteins for that lift, but easy for a 4" lift. I don't want a 4" lift on my IFS, ...and I don't want SAS in it either, so these are fine.

Far as having a locker, ....this truck actually did around 40% off road, the first 4 years I owned it(bought it in 2002)... then I started driving the bosses CRV most often, and also, as mine started to age a lot, ...I slowed WAY down on the trips, plus was working more, raising both my teenage daughters, ....and well, my 'wilderness life' pretty much took a hiatus! hahaha. I used to pretty much live in the Angeles Crest every weekend, or Sequoias, or Sierras, .....and I could have used a lunchbox locker many times, like I had in my last 4Runner....NIGHT AND DAY, bro, seriously. My 99 Toy had an E-locker, which I liked, but also, not cheap, lol. For 250$ or so, I can get a very decent one that will get me into plenty of mischief, lol. Yotarob is loving his, and I really respect his opinion and Yukon Products, ..so I'm on it! hahaha.

Thanks for all the info. I think for now i'll have to look into the steering stabilizer, i'm still running the stock one.

And about a locker, aren't you worried about your tires getting eaten up? Or about rolling your 4Runner on a turn? I have no experience at all with lockers that is something i need to do research with as i often find myself in need of a locker.

Time to do some research!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
shouldn't you be taking that white stuff off your condom?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM

For those of you who thought the truck condom wouldn't work this is for you!

*Note the other car COVERED in snow we got 15 inches*

Before

During

After

Best $10 I ever spent!

Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 01-27-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did doubt it !
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
I did doubt it !
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Thanks for all the info. I think for now i'll have to look into the steering stabilizer, i'm still running the stock one.

And about a locker, aren't you worried about your tires getting eaten up? Or about rolling your 4Runner on a turn? I have no experience at all with lockers that is something i need to do research with as i often find myself in need of a locker.

Time to do some research!
You might find a new stabilizer to be a REALLY good ting, mon! lol. They DO effect the ride off road, for sure, and on rough in town driving, too(IOW.....CRAPPY KEPT STREETS! Lol). Far as the shocks, ....ehhh, unless you're really not liking the ride compared to your stock ones(I.e, too stiff, too mushy, whatever), then you COULD just run em into the ground. OR, as you said, you could keep em as a spare set, eh? Totally up to you, ya know?

Far as the locker, ....yeah, that's a choice that might change the driving habits a lil....but from almost all the research you do, Brian, you're going to find one common thread/sentence amongst almost every one......"BEST INVESTMENT I'VE MADE, SO FAR, PERIOD!", .....for wheeling, anyway. I had a lunch box locker in my 86 PU.... it made a lil noise at times, but NEVER came close to rolling, and I really didn't notice MUCH quicker wear, to be honest. That said, I don't really hit corners trying to burn rubber, or take off from every light trying to burn em, lol. I like to 'creep' wheel, and 'flat out on the Mammoth Lakes Hot Springs Trail Wash Board' wheel, lol. Sure, on occasion, in the sierras, I have to crawl through some stuff that a locker just really ADDS to, never takes away from the experience.

Personally, ...I don't really need a 900$ locker, nor do I wanna wire up or carry the OBA system ....but ARB would probably be my choice for the rear, if I did. I think I can get the Spartan for 250$ up the street from me, from a supplier of Yukon Products.... so that's probably what I'll do.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM

You might find a new stabilizer to be a REALLY good ting, mon! lol. They DO effect the ride off road, for sure, and on rough in town driving, too(IOW.....CRAPPY KEPT STREETS! Lol). Far as the shocks, ....ehhh, unless you're really not liking the ride compared to your stock ones(I.e, too stiff, too mushy, whatever), then you COULD just run em into the ground. OR, as you said, you could keep em as a spare set, eh? Totally up to you, ya know?

Far as the locker, ....yeah, that's a choice that might change the driving habits a lil....but from almost all the research you do, Brian, you're going to find one common thread/sentence amongst almost every one......"BEST INVESTMENT I'VE MADE, SO FAR, PERIOD!", .....for wheeling, anyway. I had a lunch box locker in my 86 PU.... it made a lil noise at times, but NEVER came close to rolling, and I really didn't notice MUCH quicker wear, to be honest. That said, I don't really hit corners trying to burn rubber, or take off from every light trying to burn em, lol. I like to 'creep' wheel, and 'flat out on the Mammoth Lakes Hot Springs Trail Wash Board' wheel, lol. Sure, on occasion, in the sierras, I have to crawl through some stuff that a locker just really ADDS to, never takes away from the experience.

Personally, ...I don't really need a 900$ locker, nor do I wanna wire up or carry the OBA system ....but ARB would probably be my choice for the rear, if I did. I think I can get the Spartan for 250$ up the street from me, from a supplier of Yukon Products.... so that's probably what I'll do.
Yeah i need to get a steering stabilizer and ill probably just run the OME one as it is a good shock. As for my current shocks i'll probably just run them into the ground as they do do a good job of keeping the ride good. Ill just paint em yellow.

And that's good to hear about the locker, because my biggest concern is rolling or wearing tires super fast. I guess ill have to look into the ARB a bit more.

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread