86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Subaru2.5rsti's 1uzfe 4runner BEAST!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru2.5rsti's 1uzfe 4runner BEAST!!

[CENTER][CENTER]well,Im in the military (Navy) and I received orders to Sicily, Italy and I hear the roads are bad and people break into cars all the time, I decided that I needed a Truck something reliable and that can take some abuse and I have always loved the 86-89 square trucks and so here I am. I have done several build up threads on different site's to hondatech to nasioc to zilvia etc. BUT and I mean a big BUTT I have never done a truck so im going all out!
ALSO I HAVE TO HAVE THIS FINISHED BEFORE 01/AUG/2012 So it's going to be a fast-paced very detailed build that I will update very often so stay tuned!
Previous Highlights

240sx coupe, made 450rwhp

Sti swap and build in GC chasis

Im on the left
I knew I wanted more power and torque than that p***y 22re and to be honest i don't think there that great of engines to begin with (probably shouldn't have said that lol). So my choices of transplants where the turbo diesel equivalent, 2jzgte from the Japanese Toyota supra, 1uzfe from the sc400. weighed all my options and 1uzfe stood out hands down. So i searched for weeks for a perfect candidate for a swap and I found a 87 Sr5 4runner white with a blown engine everything still intact. I was the first to contact the guy and bought it for 1000 (he had so many calls when i was looking at it he had to turn his phone off), think i got a great deal.
How it Looks Now awaiting more parts

After waiting a week of craigslisting I found a perfect sc400 for a heart transplant, the owner had it parked on the street and a drunk driver rear ended it and crushed the driver rear quarter and the suspension on that side, surprisingly enough it still drove. The owner just had the timing belt, water pump and all adjacent service's done at lexus, costing him 2k plus. Did a quick compression check on all the cylinders and as soon as i was done I had it towed to the house.(note to anyone buying a ls400 or sc400 to do this swap perform a compression test before you buy it).

While I have been collecting parts, i have been parting out uneccesary parts from the sc400, I made 500 from the parts and 300 for the junkyard to dispose of it so total I paid 300 for the whole swap.

Starting to Remove the Engine and Trans, I found it the easiest to drop the engine and remove the sub frame with it. Instead of separating the engine from the trans and Hoisting it out.
There are a lot of Vacuum lines and misc. sensors so be careful when removing and label everything. I took many Pictures of what i need to know, (Power steering Diagram, Coolant Diagram and Sensor Locations). And remember Even though your not using the Automatic Transmission like I am your still going to need the Bell housing.

Super Camber LOL, It was fun getting it out of my garage with no subframe and steering rack hah.

1uzfe typical birdnest

Worst harness I have ever had to deal with and there are so many sensor's its ridiculous

As the engine sit's now ready to disect the 4runner.
5/27/12

Ripping the 4runner apart, had to tow it with the civic up the hill and violently push it up the driveway with the help of my girlfriend.

Dirty stock 22re Yuck!

Homemade battery tie down lol!

Going to pull it out tomorrow

New avatar photo lol
5/30/12

The front axle I picked up from a 83 , missing the spindles but oh well its slim pickings out here.

What im working with

Picked up an r150f Sweet!

Like I said It will be out!!

Anyone wanna buy a good 22re swap? lol
\
6/3/12

Finally Received my toyota fibergalss new rear quarter panels, front fenders and top L brackets!!! so excited! NO MORE RUST!

Dissasembled the SA from the springs and all the other bull***t the worst rust ive seen in ages!

Tearing it down!

The differential looks great, but smells horrible the owners must have never changed the fluid!

Injectors came in, RC engineering here in california does a perfect job of calibrating, cleaning and load testing every injector so theres no guesswork when I start it up!

Stripping the 4runner, should have it all sand blasted and primmed next week, im turning it in on friday

Windshield removal fail, its not as easy as the movies make it seem. lol

Couple of more hours stripping it and it will be ready for sand blasting.
6/11/2012

Friday it will be primed and ready to go !!
Ive been busting my ass trying to get it done for sand blasting, spot weld drilling the panels off and taking all the sound-deading out was a PITA!

The beast at the sandblasting place waiting to get some love

Picture of the underside of the sound-deading

Good thing i stripped the whole car of the sound-deading, found this rust hole on the driver side foot well and also glad thats all i found hah.
Got a New Cam Cover and All new Lexus gaskets for the intake and exhaust, also put on a 2uz idler pulley to replace the hydraulic bull˟˟˟˟.

More updates Very SOOON!

Future Plans:
Painting It, HELP ME CHOOSE, VOTE AT THE BOTTOM!
Rhino-Lining Interior and Engine Bay
Custom Upholstery
Getting it started

Part's I'm Waiting for:
Rear Bumper
[URL=https://www.allprooffroad.com/8489suspension/8489sas/42[/URL]

Rear Lift 3"

Continuing with more update

Everyone here on yotatech voted for which color they liked on my online poll and as i said before i will stick to whichever color they choose by 08JUN12 , the wining color is army green so its final I hope it comes out great!!

Poll Results as of midnight 08JUN12

Last edited by Subaru2.5rsti; 07-07-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM

I am so glad you agree with what I am thinking. I just started a pre-opinion post to make my next project after selling my current 4runner and supra.
I am thinking of using the 1uzfe as well with a 5 speed auto a750f trany and transfercase. they do make a 6 speed manual in the years that bolt right up to the 1uzfe. just a thought
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM

Well welcome to the toy world lol look forward to reading all about this!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies guy's
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Alright, im all caught up and up to date now the updates will be in real time
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM

I vote maroon
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM

I really like all the color choices so I have officially decided that the color with the highest vote is going to be the one I choose no matter what.
voting will be final in 2 weeks.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:42 AM

GReen with Black rims always looks awesome. .02
Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Got the 4runner in the garage today, had to tow it up the hill with my civic and run and push it up the driveway lol.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Colud have done worse

Lol
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM

HAHA That accord is a beast!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 PM

HUGE UPDATES
I bought a 83 solid front axle for a really good price and manual hubs, only thing im missing is the spindles and the brake calipers and rotors, which i was going to upgrade anyway.
So im still researching but i think im using my ifs spindles and hubs which would give me a wider stance thats even with the front, new knucle rebuild kit from crawler and use the tacoma brake calipers and rotors.

Also got a r150F from a 91 v6 4x4 4runner, got the best price from all 4 junkyards i called and a 90 day warranty, awesome.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Great build, like your runner, keep posting
Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Still have mixed feeling bout how u male the updates(all pictures in one post) but it def makes for a cleaner thread!!! But i like the direction of this build keep it coming!!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Ive made the thread this way so it saves alot of time for people that haven't been following since the beginning. I Especially hate when people have 30 or so pages and you have to hunt for the updates so you can follow what there doing.
Trust me its for the better.
Im putting alot of blood sweat and time into this so im hoping everyone here will appreciate what im building and im not half-assing anything along the way either.

Like i said it should be done in a month or two so stay tuned!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 AM

Lol im not trying to hatr if thays how it camr across i like ur build and def staying tunned!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Oh, no problem hah I didn't take it that way at all, I was just letting you know why I've decided to do it like that.
Didn't mean to come off like a jerk either was just tired from pulling that engine and it's 300 hundred driveshafts off haha
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Big updates today! wil update tonight with details!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Tease....
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM

I think you will have to a get a pilot license, that thing is going to fly.............lol

Quick Reply: Subaru2.5rsti's 1uzfe 4runner BEAST!!