86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Those look awesome!!
how do the tailgates hold up to standing/kneeling on them?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coryc85
Ed, some really great work here, I love all your panels. Glad to see some more sellers picking up your work and very cool of Tony to be the original seller of your cargo doors. I'm really anxious to see what other ideas you come up with.

Some things I think would be cool just to plant seeds:

1. A hinged door on those tailgate panels. Since I have a soft top, I wouldn't mind pulling the motor and glass out of my tailgate. If I had a hinged door, I could maybe put other stuff inside there, like my tow straps, tree saver.
2. When/if you make the cargo area side panels, maybe some additional doors could be made to have better access to all that side panel room for storage. I normally shove things up in there from my pass side cargo door, like the canvas cover bag for my soft top is in there, and some extra engine belts are up in there, some bungee cords, a quart of oil, that 54mm axle socket, some rope, and probably a few other things.

And 2 more things that don't fit into your flat panel plan:
3. A roof mounted console. It can slide up under the rearview mirror and use its 3 mounted bolts, use the dome light mounted bolts/screws, and if it needs to it can extend back to the edge of the metal 4runner roof and maybe hook over that lip there. Just sayin, I would like something like this to store maps, sunglasses, maybe a ham radio, etc.
4. Your metal center console plus a shifter surround.

And the glovebox idea.

Great job so far Ed!
You have alot of good ideas Cory, we think alot alike, I always thought a overhead console would be awesome. As far as the hinged tailgate cover and additional storage doors for the side panels, I think those could easily be made as a custom order, maybe if enough people were interested we could make them a stock item. There are so many variations and possibilities, we'll have to see where it goes, lol! I still plan on doing the regular center console, (and you beat me to it) I had planned to make the shifted surround too eventually.
■Edit the more I think of your side panel idea the more I like it. By having multiple accessible doors on the sides I think I could make the side panels in smaller sections and would help a lot in shipping them...I think we talked about this before when I first started working on it, I just kind of forgot about it, lol.
Originally Posted by magnet18
Those look awesome!!
how do the tailgates hold up to standing/kneeling on them?
Honestly I haven't stood or kneeled on the tailgate panal yet, I think it will hold up well, I used 18 gauge instead of 20..also the design ridges that I ran down the length makes them more sturdy. Just as a side note, the 4R cover in the center can be tturned around to face either direction, whether you want it readable with he tailgate down or if you want to be able to read it with the tailgate up.
Shoot me a pm if your still interested in that deal we were talking about, I can make a different center cover like the (teq)
if you prefer it over the 4R.

Last edited by rustED; 07-15-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
You have alot of good ideas Cory, we think alot alike, I always thought a overhead console would be awesome. As far as the hinged tailgate cover and additional storage doors for the side panels, I think those could easily be made as a custom order, maybe if enough people were interested we could make them a stock item. There are so many variations and possibilities, we'll have to see where it goes, lol! I still plan on doing the regular center console, (and you beat me to it) I had planned to make the shifted surround too eventually.
■Edit the more I think of your side panel idea the more I like it. By having multiple accessible doors on the sides I think I could make the side panels in smaller sections and would help a lot in shipping them...I think we talked about this before when I first started working on it, I just kind of forgot about it, lol.

Honestly I haven't stood or kneeled on the tailgate panal yet, I think it will hold up well, I used 18 gauge instead of 20..also the design ridges that I ran down the length makes them more sturdy. Just as a side note, the 4R cover in the center can be tturned around to face either direction, whether you want it readable with he tailgate down or if you want to be able to read it with the tailgate up.
Shoot me a pm if your still interested in that deal we were talking about, I can make a different center cover like the (teq)
Still interested
Also, is it possible to put a circle in the middle of the big panels, i think around 6 inch diameter? I'd have to go measure one to be sure, but butane camp stove canisters are a standard size, and and circle the right size would hold the stove in place nicely
Old 07-15-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Ed - I would be willing to be your guinea pig for tailgate panels that somehow opened for storage, meaning if you are willing to come up with something, I will buy it. I believe there are 3 holes in the tailgate itself, a big one in the center and smaller ones on left and right.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:30 AM

Still interested
Also, is it possible to put a circle in the middle of the big panels, i think around 6 inch diameter? I'd have to go measure one to be sure, but butane camp stove canisters are a standard size, and and circle the right size would hold the stove in place nicely
One of these (random internet photo because I'm not sure where mine is at the moment)

They are 4.25" in diameter, so a 4.5" circle should work great. Just to keep them from sliding around while cooking on the tailgate.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Still interested
One of these (random internet photo because I'm not sure where mine is at the moment)

They are 4.25" in diameter, so a 4.5" circle should work great. Just to keep them from sliding around while cooking on the tailgate.
I'm sure I could do that. I'll come up with a drawing or something first to show you before hand to see if you like it. It might be a little bit, I'm going to be busy on my weekend (Mon, Tues) finishing up some other panels.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Ed - I would be willing to be your guinea pig for tailgate panels that somehow opened for storage, meaning if you are willing to come up with something, I will buy it. I believe there are 3 holes in the tailgate itself, a big one in the center and smaller ones on left and right.

I like guinea pigs, lol! Would 2 separate doors work that separated in the center. Each door would access 1/2 of the center opening and then the smaller opening on the end? Or if you wanted 3 individual doors, I could probably do that. I'm guessing that you would probably want the hinges on the bottom so you could access the storage after the tailgate is dropped down?

If you are gutting the tailgate I wonder if you could enlarge those 2 smaller openings to make them more accessible. The center opening looks like it has the holes to mount the motor, I bet you could make the 2 end ones larger without affecting the structure incase you decide to go back and reinstall the glass and motor down the road.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 AM

I'm sure I could do that. I'll come up with a drawing or something first to show you before hand to see if you like it. It might be a little bit, I'm going to be busy on my weekend (Mon, Tues) finishing up some other panels.
Awesome!
I'm in no rush, the rest of my truck has a ways to go before any major camping expeditions
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM

Awesome!
I'm in no rush, the rest of my truck has a ways to go before any major camping expeditions
Right on, I should be able to get to it soon, I just need to finish some door panels for a friend's 86' and make a new pair of cargo doors with the 4G logo on them.

You asked how sturdy the tailgate panel was, I forgot to check the fit with the old metal cover in place, so I tried it and it fits with it on and adds more support in the center, so I think it will hold up really well for your camping adventures!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Right on, I should be able to get to it soon, I just need to finish some door panels for a friend's 86' and make a new pair of cargo doors with the 4G logo on them.

You asked how sturdy the tailgate panel was, I forgot to check the fit with the old metal cover in place, so I tried it and it fits with it on and adds more support in the center, so I think it will hold up really well for your camping adventures!
Cool!
My main worry is if i can stand on it to access the roof, knowing that's under there makes me less worried
Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 PM

I like guinea pigs, lol! Would 2 separate doors work that separated in the center. Each door would access 1/2 of the center opening and then the smaller opening on the end? Or if you wanted 3 individual doors, I could probably do that. I'm guessing that you would probably want the hinges on the bottom so you could access the storage after the tailgate is dropped down?

If you are gutting the tailgate I wonder if you could enlarge those 2 smaller openings to make them more accessible. The center opening looks like it has the holes to mount the motor, I bet you could make the 2 end ones larger without affecting the structure incase you decide to go back and reinstall the glass and motor down the road.
Ed, I think 2 doors would probably be fine, hinged on bottom. Also it prob doesn't have to be hinged, could maybe just be tab and slot like the cargo doors, but whatever you think there is fine. A company called Wagongear used to make similar things for landcruisers...take a look for some inspiration.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 AM

Ed, I think 2 doors would probably be fine, hinged on bottom. Also it prob doesn't have to be hinged, could maybe just be tab and slot like the cargo doors, but whatever you think there is fine. A company called Wagongear used to make similar things for landcruisers...take a look for some inspiration.
I haven't heard of Wagongear, I'll have to check them out.
Do you have any specific ideas for what you want for the design or pattern or logo?

Last edited by rustED; 07-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:58 AM

Ed - not entirely sure which design I like best yet. I think I'm leaning toward the last 4R one without the rising sun.

I looked a bit at the wagongear website today. He uses a recessed latch, which I like. I'll try to find some links where I can order some.

Also, if feasible, I think 1 large panel would work just fine, if not, then 2 doors would work. Not saying I 100% agree with this guy, but he has an interesting take on the hinge direction here: http://wagongear.com/project/tailgat...-general-info/

Wagongear panels are really thick, I don't think it's necessary to be so thick, seems like overkill since a piece of masonite with carpet has worked fine for almost 30 years.

Do you have the ability to powder coat?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 AM

Ed - not entirely sure which design I like best yet. I think I'm leaning toward the last 4R one without the rising sun.

I looked a bit at the wagongear website today. He uses a recessed latch, which I like. I'll try to find some links where I can order some.

Also, if feasible, I think 1 large panel would work just fine, if not, then 2 doors would work. Not saying I 100% agree with this guy, but he has an interesting take on the hinge direction here: http://wagongear.com/project/tailgat...-general-info/

Wagongear panels are really thick, I don't think it's necessary to be so thick, seems like overkill since a piece of masonite with carpet has worked fine for almost 30 years.

Do you have the ability to powder coat?
I like the idea of the recessed latch for the tailgate panel. Have you found any that you like, I did a Google search and found some, but most of them are pricey. You might be able to use some 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners like what they use to hold race car panels on, something like these:

:

I can do the panel in one peice. It will be nearly 4' long, not sure how bad shipping would be. That's why I went to the overlapping 2 peice design to try to cut down on shipping cost.

I wouldn't have thought of mounting the hinge like he did, but it looks like it would function well havi g tne extra surface area when packing and unpacking items from the tailgate.

I don't have the means to powder coat at this time, it's is something I have thought of, and would like to be able to do in the future.

Just a couple of pics from today. I worked on another version of the cargo door, also started reworking the cargo side panels to do in smaller sections, instead of all in one peice. Trying to figure out where I can add more access doors for more storage, the roll bar kind of gets in the way.

first section of cargo side panel

Last edited by rustED; 07-18-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 AM

Ed - you are really making a lot of progress on those side panels. I'll find some latches, something like this might be fine http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHCO-E5-9...26.m2548.l4275

I'm still not sold on the wagongear idea of the hinge direction, I think on the bottom probably makes more sense.

And as far as 1 piece or 2, I guess it doesn't matter that much to me. The important part is to get access to the storage in there, it might actually be easier to only have to open half the panel at a time, so I could still sit something on the tailgate and open one of the doors. In thinking about it as I type, I like the 2 door approach.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 AM

That wagon gear stuff looks really nice, pricey though
Ed, behind the roll bar is the perfect place for speaker holes/mounts, for those of us who like to adventure with a great soundtrack
Old 07-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You should look at ih8mud for ideas on the tailgate storage lids. They are being made for 60's, 80's and 100's. I have one in my 80. They do require quite abit of fabrication and most of those venders farm out the cutting.

I do love what you are producing.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Getting it from a drawing to a metal panel and getting it to look as good as you are doing takes some steady hands and skills. Great job.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile, been pretty busy lately. I have couple updates. First I got a new bead rolling machine to replace the small hand cranking model I had before. Say goodbye to the old....

Last edited by rustED; 09-12-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 PM

And hello to the new!
This machine is twice the size of the old one, is powered and has a foward/reverse variable speed drive that is controlled with the foot pedal. This thing makes it so much easier to do door panels!

Built a table for the new machine, didnt want to spend $250 for their table!

Heres a customers door panel I did on the new machine. Its not finished yet, it will have his logo in the center circle.
Things should be slowing down here pretty quick. Cory and Magnet, if you guys are still wanting some tailgate panels done I should have the time here pretty quick.

Last edited by rustED; 09-12-2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: adding pics