86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
***dash pad removal link***

Thanks for the compliments Chef, and I agree, with ya 100% Terry's threads have helped me out a lot, in fact I got this link for the dashpad removal off Terry's build thread, I thought I'd post it here to make it easier for me to find because I'm going to need it pretty soon!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...emoval-189633/
Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 PM

shockhoops

Well I did a little work on my shock hoops today. I decided not to do the cross bar through the engine compartment between the shock hoops like I talked about earlier, just to much work. So i just made and welded new shock tabs on the hoops which was my original idea. Now I have 5" of up travel. I ran out of welding wire again, so i only got one side tacked in place. I also had to flip the shocks to make them fit otherwise the shock body would have made contact with the hoop. Also the shocks lean slightly towards the tire now (they're more straight up and down now) instead of leaning in towards the engine, but I can't see that hurting anything. Here's some pics

I finally picked up some shoulder seatbelts for the rear seat, need to get those mounted. And I akso picked up to 2 rear soft brake lines (the ones that have one male & one female end) so I can use these to lengthen my front brakelines. A lot cheaper than buying the longer brakeline kits, I'll post some pics when I get those mounted.

Last edited by rustED; 08-16-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks good man. More travel. Is gonna come in handy.
One question. Why is the shock upside-down? Personal preference or what? Just curious that's all.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Hey Richard. Yeah I only had like 2-1/2" of up travel, now I got 5" I think that will be plenty, Ill set up my bumpstops to prevent the shocks from bottoming out. I had to flip the shocks upsidedown to prevent the shock body from contacting the top of the hoop (due to the larger diameter)

^^^if you look close at where the shock mounts to the hoop, its about an inch from making contact. I didn't want to flip them, but had to to make it work.

^^^actually if you look at this pic from TG's site, it looks like I have them facing the correct way, the 14" shocks don't come with the black boots though.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Your shock hoops turned out great. I probably need to do the seat belt for tthe kiddos as well. Glad to see the video helped out. If you are going to need into it sooner, let me know and I will get off of my back side and get the rest shot and posted. That was on the agenda yesterday and it went south. I will get it done this week. I promise. I will post a link on here for you.

If you do get into it, you will need to remove the speedometer bezel to get the nut on the far left side of the pad. Next remove your glovebox and you will see a little 4 or 5 inch long vent pipe that is held by a screw. Remove the screw and slide it right until it clears the other pipe it is connected to and tilt down and pull out of other half of pipe.

Once it is out, it is the only nut that you will see and it is straight up. Remove that nut and the pad will come out after you have removed the passenger vent and removed that nut that holds the far right side on the dash pad that is in the video.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hey ed,
you beat me to it! the shock hoops look great, i would love to have 5" of uptravel with 14" shocks! have you tried compressing one side to see if the tire clears everything? just curious.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hey ed,
you beat me to it! the shock hoops look great, i would love to have 5" of uptravel with 14" shocks! have you tried compressing one side to see if the tire clears everything? just curious.

i'm also rolling around the idea of moving the lower shock mounts to the back of the axle, i think i could get another 2" out of it.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Your shock hoops turned out great. I probably need to do the seat belt for tthe kiddos as well. Glad to see the video helped out. If you are going to need into it sooner, let me know and I will get off of my back side and get the rest shot and posted. That was on the agenda yesterday and it went south. I will get it done this week. I promise. I will post a link on here for you.

If you do get into it, you will need to remove the speedometer bezel to get the nut on the far left side of the pad. Next remove your glovebox and you will see a little 4 or 5 inch long vent pipe that is held by a screw. Remove the screw and slide it right until it clears the other pipe it is connected to and tilt down and pull out of other half of pipe.

Once it is out, it is the only nut that you will see and it is straight up. Remove that nut and the pad will come out after you have removed the passenger vent and removed that nut that holds the far right side on the dash pad that is in the video.
Originally Posted by liveoffroad
hey ed,

i'm also rolling around the idea of moving the lower shock mounts to the back of the axle, i think i could get another 2" out of it.

Hi Terry. Thanks for the info on the dash and the location of the nuts and screws! I'm nit in a big hurry to pull the dash pad now. I was strongly considering doing a color change to grey on the interior, then I found some seatbelts on CL and the guy I got them from was parting out a gold 1st 4runner. It has tan interior, so now I'm trying to work a deal for the seats, as they would match my interior pretty good, lol. So I spent the money I was going use for the interior paint for brakelines and welding supplies, lol, you know how it goes, I keep going back and forth on what to do on the interior, lol.

Hey liveoffroad, well I got one side mostly done, lol. I think you made a good point on compressing & drooping the suspension, I think I will do that and check clearances on everything before I go any further. I probably wont get to work on it again till tomorrow, today I need to pick up one more brakeline, and some welding wire.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
There's that dang Terry, ....makin me feel useless again! hahaha. (JK Terry, hehe.... )

Wow Ed, looks really good. And WHAT? THAT'S AWESOME news on the seats.(Not to knock WHATEVER clashing was going on... Yeah, my OCD was not bothered by that at all! .......... WAIT, NO, I TAKE IT BACK, IT DRIVES ME NUTS! ).... hahaha.. JK, I know, you work with what you find... and it looked ok, just not ideal, right? Now you'll have that tan interior... which looks pretty darn good all done! I recently saw a WHOLE RUNNER, parting out, Brown... he had the fastest selling 'NO CRACKS IN THE DASH PAD'.... .I think hackers got in there and were calling him before he even posted! hahaha... jk... But yeah, it sold FAST, every piece! Gray is more common, I guess. Lot's restore that red, too... which is VERY hard to find parts for. But they're out there... Just takes LOTS of patience! lol. SOOOOOOO, you bought this stuff or are going to? You KNOW we want pics... And btw..... Are you grabbing the originally intended back seats for it too? move the mounting back to stock? Or just getting the Front Buckets?

Good find, man... Sorry it forced ya to hold off on other stuff's... But you'll get it!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-17-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. Ive been following your thread for a month now. Lovin it!!!
On the topic of brown interior, my 87' has the brown. I change some of it to the black the comes with the grey interior runners. The steering wheel plastic, the climate control bezel, shifter knobs, and console. The black cleans up the 'too brown' look. I can post some pics if your interested. Also I changed the stock steering wheel to a comfy 3 spoke, black as well.
My issue is that some of the brown stuff that I want to keep is worn out and I'm having a brutal time finding any of it. IE: adjustable drivers and passengers headrests, panel clips, that kind of stuff. I have had to swap in some random grey and blue int. stuff to keep my runner alive and intact. The interior light (blue), handles for the seat releases (grey and blue), and the front portion of the console actually is grey and black.
Do you have any extra pieces or know where some may be? I didn't mean to hack your thread but have been thoroughly enjoying reading it and felt it is about time to join in the conversation.
Also I have been doing alot of work to it lately. Rebuilt the back window control module (new relays) and adding L.E.D. lighting. I bought a 5m strip if bright white L.E.D's and added some under hood with a hood pin to turn them on when the hoods open. SOOOOO nice to have a lit engine bay at night.
K peace.
Travis
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKGUY76
Also I have been doing alot of work to it lately. Rebuilt the back window control module (new relays) and adding L.E.D. lighting. I bought a 5m strip if bright white L.E.D's and added some under hood with a hood pin to turn them on when the hoods open. SOOOOO nice to have a lit engine bay at night.
K peace.
Travis
Travis Do you have a build thread? if so link it on your signature. I'd like to take a look at that under the hood LED mod. I like that. Just got done converting my whole dashboard to white LED's it looks clean and gives the truck somewhat of a "newer" look. Thinking of making a build thread with pix and a video on the entire process of that sometime soon.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
There's that dang Terry, ....makin me feel useless again! hahaha. (JK Terry, hehe.... )

Wow Ed, looks really good. And WHAT? THAT'S AWESOME news on the seats.(Not to knock WHATEVER clashing was going on... Yeah, my OCD was not bothered by that at all! .......... WAIT, NO, I TAKE IT BACK, IT DRIVES ME NUTS! ).... hahaha.. JK, I know, you work with what you find... and it looked ok, just not ideal, right? Now you'll have that tan interior... which looks pretty darn good all done! I recently saw a WHOLE RUNNER, parting out, Brown... he had the fastest selling 'NO CRACKS IN THE DASH PAD'.... .I think hackers got in there and were calling him before he even posted! hahaha... jk... But yeah, it sold FAST, every piece! Gray is more common, I guess. Lot's restore that red, too... which is VERY hard to find parts for. But they're out there... Just takes LOTS of patience! lol. SOOOOOOO, you bought this stuff or are going to? You KNOW we want pics... And btw..... Are you grabbing the originally intended back seats for it too? move the mounting back to stock? Or just getting the Front Buckets?

Hi Mark. Yeah I got the seatbelts I needed to do the belt swap for the rear and the guy had a nearly perfect tan rear seat, which like you said would give me the original 1 St Gen seat ( which in a way sucks cuz I just got the rear seats all fabbed up and mounted, lol) Anyway the guys on the fence about selling them, and he already sold the matching front buckets. So anyway, its not that I'm not happy with what I got, I just would like it all one color, whether it be brown/tan or change it all to gray, lol. But its like you said, you got to be patient, ill get it how I want it eventually, lol.
Good find, man... Sorry it forced ya to hold off on other stuff's... But you'll get it!

Hey mark, don't know how, but my phone screwed up this post, my intended response is above between the ***** lol.

Last edited by rustED; 08-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Hey guys. Ive been following your thread for a month now. Lovin it!!!
On the topic of brown interior, my 87' has the brown. I change some of it to the black the comes with the grey interior runners. The steering wheel plastic, the climate control bezel, shifter knobs, and console. The black cleans up the 'too brown' look. I can post some pics if your interested. Also I changed the stock steering wheel to a comfy 3 spoke, black as well.
My issue is that some of the brown stuff that I want to keep is worn out and I'm having a brutal time finding any of it. IE: adjustable drivers and passengers headrests, panel clips, that kind of stuff. I have had to swap in some random grey and blue int. stuff to keep my runner alive and intact. The interior light (blue), handles for the seat releases (grey and blue), and the front portion of the console actually is grey and black.
Do you have any extra pieces or know where some may be? I didn't mean to hack your thread but have been thoroughly enjoying reading it and felt it is about time to join in the conversation.
K peace.
Travis
Hi Travis, it sounds like you've done Alot of work to your runner. You're more than welcome to post pics here if you want, I'd like to see your interior, it might inspire me to commit to some kind of color scheme, lol. I also would like to see your led mods. I can't help you out on spare interior parts, I don't have any, but CL is a good place to look, or your local wrecking yards. Good luck, hope you find what you need, and like Richard (Redeth) said, you should start a build thread, most of us I'm sure, would enjoy following it, plus you can track your own progress!

Last edited by rustED; 08-17-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM

I hear ya, Ed! I will have a smart phone, my first one, soon! hahaha... So look forward to my ABSOLUTE BLUNDERS, k? hahaha

Far as the seats.. YEP, ... no hurry. Sadly, I've seen two over here, last 2 months, VERY clean and all for sale, panels and everything. They get stripped fast! But you'll find one in time. Like I said, "Big Lots" or "MacFrugals" for covers ,man! For now, hey, it'd work, right? (if it bothers you enough, of course.... Besides.. You could KEEP them covered, switching them to the proper tan seats when you get em, right?

Richard... I too am interested... and I WILL do an under hood light again(Had one in my 86... LOVED having it... It was a magnet based push button one... But it had a 12V plug, so I just ran it to the Battery when I was in there on trips in the Sequoias, etc., making a 'check over' on everything after a long trek in somewhere, etc., ya know? REALLY miss that. It was a Dome type for a Camper... VERY bright, but not LED... And it didn't just come on when the hood opened... but I liked being able to move it around, so it was preferable that way. That post motivated me to find one again... Gonnnnnnnnn'do it! hahaha.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I dropped my phone today and now the display wont work. I have another phone but the mouth oiece isnt working. I am going to a place called the Phone Doctor and see if I can get one of them fixed. Guess everyone is having phone problems.

Rockguy..Getting good panels is getting harder to find. I have used epoxy or might try fiberglassing the back side for strength if they are busted up.

I am eventually going to try and take some really bad panels and try and find some cloth material that is the same as the passenger area and use some spray adhesive and see what it looks like. Using old parts is a good way to experiment.

Some where last week some one made their own door panels and I am trying to find that thread and save it to my favorites. It is getting to where you really have to get creative now on some of these things.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM

I was thinking of possibly making the rear panels out if some diamond plating way further into the future though not any time soon. I kind of wanna try finding a good set of rear Toyota panels for my truck because I want a good stereo system but I want the interior to look pretty stock. And I want to conceal the 1 or 2 subwoofers in the side panels like RBX did. That was a good idea.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Hey guys. I'm taking your advice and I've started a build thread. I have to head to a wedding today so will have to get to the good stuff soon.
Terry87, I agree. Ive had to repair so much old Toyota plastic that it's becoming almost second nature, haha.
I'm curious, has anyone had any success in repainting interior pieces?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM

Hey guys. I'm taking your advice and I've started a build thread. I have to head to a wedding today so will have to get to the good stuff soon.
Terry87, I agree. Ive had to repair so much old Toyota plastic that it's becoming almost second nature, haha.
I'm curious, has anyone had any success in repainting interior pieces?
Hey Travis, Terry87 is the "go to guy" on interiors, if you check his build thread, he just painted his dash, and repaired and painted his dashpad, it turned out amazing! Glad you started a build thread, ill have to check it out!

Richard, I've thought about the diamond plate cargo panels too, I know someone on here did them awhile back, I think the went over it with bedliner, looked really good, if you look into let me know, I have a feeling the diamond plate is going to be expensive though!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM

wow ed, just read the whole thing, been a while since i been on here, i just cant wait to see it in person!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Hey Ed, .....

There's also composite Diamond Plate that I've seen used....But I honestly think Wood and Carpet is best.... Personally. It wont make as much possible noise....it's lighter and you can cut it for the speakers and start over with a fresh piece if'n it goes bad, right? hahaha... Plus, I think it would ABSORB more noise and be less likely to rust? lol.

I think RBX did wood/carpet... but I"d have to look back. IT'S SICK, whatever he did, I remember that much. I'd want to keep some 'cargo holes' going on there, too. So I just think it would be much easier/look just fine using wood. You could also mount like a light hanger and such back side of it.... maybe a power inverter too? (pretty sure RB did that as well. He did a REALLY nice job, just like his "Spare Tire Delete/add-a-cargo box instead" mod!!!

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread