86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you get the motor/tranny back in, what do you have left, just the exhaust and front driveline?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to trailer it to the shop and finish weld everyrhing.I have the exhaust,it needs put on.Front driveline and a ton of little stuff.Getting close.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Nice to hear about its a live...any video?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Yes,but it wouldnt load here.If you friend me on facebook you can watch it there.Also check out Toyotaholics on fb.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM

I got the clutch fixed today. My buddy Chris came over and helped me bleed the clutch, we figured out that the rod on the slave cylinder wasn't pushing the clutch fork far enough to disengage the clutch. We bled the lines again and tried adjusting the clutch pedal, still wouldn't disengage, so I ended up lengthen the push rod by about 5/8 of an inch, now it works perfect. We got the exhaust mostly done, just need to finish up some welds. I got one more brake caliper to put on, and bleed the brakes. The only real problem we ran into was I have a fuel filter that threads into the base of the Carb. It was leaking, so I tried tightening it up and it got worse. So we bought a new one and Chris went to put it on and snap it off when he was tightening it. So we got an EZ out to try to unthread the broken filter, and the EZ out snapped off!!! Long story short, we finally got the broken filter and the EZ out removed, drilled and rethreaded the Carb got another new filter, installed it...and it leaks just as bad as before!!!! We were alittle pissed, spent half the day changing a fuel filter! Any ideas?

Last edited by rustED; 06-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Congrats on getting it running. Great job on the radiator fix. It doesnt take much on the clutch not getting pushed far enough to operate it. Sounds like you got that fixed too.
Great job again.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Congrats on getting it running. Great job on the radiator fix. It doesnt take much on the clutch not getting pushed far enough to operate it. Sounds like you got that fixed too.
Great job again.
Thanks Terry, hopefully I will finish up the last few things on the list today. In August it will be a year since I first bought the 4runner, so it will be nice to finally be able to drive it!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM

My jeep rockcrawler has a 302 in it. Alum heads , bored .40 , cam , injectors etc and a mean dyno tune top it off. It's a blast to drive
Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM

I bet u will be happy to drive it i know i will be happy to finish mine
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTruggy
My jeep rockcrawler has a 302 in it. Alum heads , bored .40 , cam , injectors etc and a mean dyno tune top it off. It's a blast to drive
Sounds like a sweet Crawler, bet it has all the power you need and then some! I wish I had aluminum heads!

Originally Posted by racerflea
I bet u will be happy to drive it i know i will be happy to finish mine
I took it out for its first test drive today around the block. It was the first time I've ever driven the 4runner since I bought it 10mths ago (my buddy Chris actually drove it, with a blown head gasket (22re) to my house with me following in my pickup after i had first bought it, then it was parked) so it was really excited to drive it! Ended up having a couple small issues. The clutch soft line must have a pin hole, because it's leaking. Also I probably need to bleed the entire brake system, the brake pedal went to the floor during the test drive, Chris and I only bled the front, so Ill go back and bleed them all.
Also I experienced some bump steer, but that could be do in part that I'm not currently running any front shocks. A guy owes me some shock in a trade, just waiting for them. So all I have left is to weld in the front shock hoops mount the shocks, bleed the brakes, replace the clutch line and bleed the clutch, build front driveline, and I may add a steering stabilizer, replace the pulleys and fab uo a power steering pump mounting bracket, oh and liscence tabs, lol. Then its on to cleaning up the interior, lol, it will never truly be done, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 06-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

Well hell yea Ed, Congratulations .
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM

Thanks Brian, I took the kids for a ride around the block and they thought it was the coolest thing, lol. Every time I'd get on the gas they would just start laughing uncontrollablely, lol. Tomorrow we're taking them to see the monster trucks, my wife won 4 tickets off KATS FM, they're going to have a good time!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

That first drive, no matter the problems is always the greatest. Congrats on that. As far as interior, that is really easy to do. I havent found a cheap way for the seats, but all the rest is really easy.

Well worth the time and effort. Any questions on that just ask I and I can get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
That first drive, no matter the problems is always the greatest. Congrats on that. As far as interior, that is really easy to do. I havent found a cheap way for the seats, but all the rest is really easy.

Well worth the time and effort. Any questions on that just ask I and I can get you pointed in the right direction.
Hi Terry. Yeah it was a real memorable first run, the kids really enjoyed it! I'm sure Ill have plenty of questions for you on the interior, and will be completely open to suggestions! The interior isn't really bad, in fact the door panels are in really good condition, but the dash, carpet and cargo area (storage panels) need some TLC, Im not missing any trim peices, but just need a good cleaning, and/ or painting. Also the PO swapped in some later model 4 runner seats that are grey, my interior is brown/tan, so I would like to at least get seat covers for the front, the rear seats don't match up with the factory latches, so I'd like to find 1st Gen rear seats and just basically get it looking good inside. I actually am looking forward to a change of pace doing cosmetic upgrades after doing the mechanical aspect for so long, lol, I think it will be a lot of elbow grease involved, and hopefully not so much money!

Last edited by rustED; 06-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Lol all depends on how "pretty" u want it lol
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

A good cleaning is the secret to getting the interior paint to stick. I was against using paint for interior but all I had seen in the past was where they used regular spray can paint. It has to be for interiors and looks great when done right.

Hopefully you can get some off of the shelf cans and they go about $7 a can, but you can get factory colors custom made and it goes about $23 a can.

On the rear panels, if they are cracked, I use a 2 part epoxy to get them solid again. You will need to remove your roll bar or at least unbolt it and slide it to the rear and tilt forward. The roll bar angles in at the top giving you just enough room to get the panels out. If you try to flex the panels to get them off of the rear seat hooks they will bust in half. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Doing interior work is a nice change of pace from mechanical work. As far as seats, I am hoping to come across a nice set from a 2nd gen runner as the interiors seem to hold up better in those trucks then the first gen. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows how to do it. I just havent been able to find any just yet.

On your trunk carpet, just go to a home carpet store and get a remnant. Use your old piece as a template. I got a piece for $20 and it matches perfect. They want as much for the trunk area as for the passenger area.

I would suggest buying your passenger area as it has the humps and other contours formed into it. I tried using regular carpet ad it just wrinkeled on me in those area. I bought ine from stockinteriors.com and it was great but you still have to trim about 2 inches off all the way around. Next time I might try a different company for a more perfect fit but would use them again in a heart beat.

I can tell you though having new looking carpet and panels sure makes the seats stand out that much worse if they are bad. One solution causes another problem..lol
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Interior

Thanks for the tips Terry! I went out and took some pics, and realised that the interior is actually in better shape than I thought, just needs some cleaning up. I'm fortunate that none of the PO have hacked up the doors or cargo storage panels to mount speakers, lol. The only piece that I'm missing is the ashtray. And the only trim piece that is broken is the trim around the driverside rear slider window. (Maybe you can recommend what type of epoxy to use) I'm currently using the dash bezel (that houses the stereo, ashtray, etc) out of the 85' pickup because its already hacked up to hold the oil pressure, water temp gages, so I'm going to use it for now until I can afford to get a A-pillar Gage pod (like Chuckar has in his build). Anyway here some pics, sorry about the poor quality, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 06-10-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM

Hey Terry, do you know if anyone makes replacement shifter boot covers that attaches to the center console?

Mine is dry rotted and torn.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ed...I was out stripping the truck and forgot to log out, I am back now here is what I ordered for my 88. Ask for the smaller wire and they will put the color how you want it and a different color thread to add a little bit of color to it if you like.

Boot linkl... http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13393482392881
Old 06-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks Terry, that looks like a really high quality replacement! Sorry to pull you away from your truck! lol.

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread