86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kac0825
Still planning on doing the herculiner on the inside of the 93 4runner? Curious how it'll turn out! Looking good so far man!
Yes, I plan on using black Durabak on the inside and Military Olive Drab on the outside. I am debating about whether or not to remove the sound deadening material or not. I've seen posts of people doing theirs both ways. I think it looks better when the stuff is removed, but it is a lot more work.

My gameplan as of now is to get the exhaust done and then I do need to tend to my front brakes. They are just about shot. I'm thinking of doing T100 calipers/rotors, but not sure yet. I do have a set of V6 4Runner calipers & rotors from my part out that I can use and won't cost me much other than the cost of getting the rotors machined & new pads.

After I get that figured out, it's time to fix the rust in the quarters so I can start painting the body. I plan on doing the outside before the inside.

Anyone that has worked on these things know that plans are subject to change...

Ruskymx
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Ahh gotcha. Well keep it coming with the pictures, it's coming together real nicely!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM

I had to work today for about 6 hours or so and after I got home, I took my 4Runner to the car wash to get off the mud from Rausch Creek so I can start cutting the quarters to see what I'm dealing with.

The wheel arch by the door seems to be holding up pretty good from the previous bondo job so I didn't cut that up....yet. I want to see what I can do with cutting as little as possible. It's mostly going to be a trail rig so it's not going to be perfect so I am OK with that.

I sprayed the bare metal with some Rustolem Rust Reformer primer and I am going to let it sit that way for a few days to see out it holds up. We are expecting rain the next couple of days so I will see what happens and see if any rust starts coming through again.

Now from the inside, you can see I am going to have to cut a good bit of metal off that is behind the rear bumper corner section. I'm thinking of cutting a line as low as possible, but still getting all of the rusty metal below the indentation of the body line. I was thinking of riveting or using some body panel adhesive to attach some 16-18 gauge aluminum sheet to form the rear bottom of the quarter. I plan on eventually getting a MC or TG rear bumper and don't need it to look perfect behind there bumper ends, I just prefer not to have big open space.

The line is where I plan on cutting.

I want to get the body work stuff figured out so I can order my Durabak and start painting the outside with military olive drab Durabak.

I plan on using the black Durabak on the rockers and wheels arches. I am thinking about using black on the hood as well on the part that is raised a little and have the edges of the hood green. I'll use black on the interior floor once I get the sound deadening stuff off, or on top of it..not sure yet.

Ruskymx
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Lookin good man...I got the cancer in the same spots and more so on my 95.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm doing some more work to the rear quarters today. Man is it HOT!

Did some more cutting to find out.......

That I had to do some MORE cutting

I left some metal in there and used a flapper disc and got off as much rust as I could. The metal that was left was decent plus I needed some metal in there to attach my patch panels to so I cut out the worst of it and painted it with some Rustoleum Rust Reformer. It seemed to do well for the few days on my initial cuts so hopefully it will hold for a few years. I know it's not going to be permanent. I also attached a piece of the aluminum bar that I had (LSPV bracket used same thing) so I can rivet the aluminum sheet to it on the bottom.

Here's my aluminum sheet quarter wheel well. I plan on using the same aluminum for the rear corner as well and have the joint behind the fender flares that I'm gong to put on to hide it as best as I could. The rivets should all be under the flare as well. :Insert fingers crossed smiley:

I came inside to cool down for a bit and I'm going to head back out and do some more work. I have the front flares ready to go on so I may mount them when I go back out. The rear section is going to be a PITA because I want to try and bend the metal to fit with the factory body line as best as I could. The aluminum bends easily so I just need to find a pipe or something to make the bends straight. I still need to screw the bottom of the wheel well arch into the inner fender. I'm going to wait to do that until I get the flare on there and screw both pieces on together.

Here's my table full of goodies. Notice my "super high flow cat". When installed it looks like a cat and will pass PA's visual inspection, but it's just a straight pipe inside a cat case.

Ruskymx

Last edited by ruskymx; 07-10-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM

I went back at it after a break and I did my lower rear quarter that's behind the bumper. It's no where near perfect, but it works for me.

I pulled the fender flares off the 92 PU I bought and cleaned/sanded/painted them and they fit perfectly on the front of the 4Runner.

I initially thought I may be able to make the rear fender flares from the PU work on the rear of the 4Runner and the more I looked at it, the more I realized it's not going to be possible. Wishful thinking...

Hopefully my exhaust from Dave's Offroad gets here this week so I can install it along with my Flowmaster 40 and "cat".

Ruskymx
Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Nice cat, where were you when I had to buy an $80 cat to pass, lol.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM

I have to give credit for the cat to my guy that did some work to my truck. He found it on eBay and sent me the link. I am anxiously awaiting my exhaust to arrive so I can install everything. It was only like $44 or something like that with shipping. You can always buys one and sell your real cat...
Old 07-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Uh oh.....I may be going SAS!

Working out a deal with a local guy to trade my parts 4Runner and some cash for a SAS. I'll have to buy some odds & ends, but doesn't sound like a whole lot. Plus he has the skills & equipment to install it.

If this goes through, I'll have a bunch of "new" (as in barely used at all, less than 300 miles) IFS goodies for sale!

Ruskymx
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Dibs on the BJ spacers.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Dibs on the BJ spacers.
They are yours as long as this goes through....even if it doesn't it really has the hamster running in the wheel in my head...lol

I'm not sure of the time frame that this is all going to happen. The guy is probably going to Rausch for the Takeover & I think I am too. We'll probably talk it over there and figure out some of the logistics.

I'm going to try and not take any money out of my pocket for it. I have so many parts that I can sell from my part outs, my original 4.10's F&R, 31" tires, and after SAS I'll have the BJ spacers, AISIN hubs, 4.88 front diff (maybe rear too, may go to 5.29's that he has), almost new OEM ball joints, tie rods, and other misc parts.

I emailed him back earlier today to find out what, if anything that I would have to buy elsewhere. I hope I can just get everything through him via trade plus cash. Just need to sell some parts now!

Ruskymx
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 PM

hmmmmm hmmmmm now you got my wheels turning, oh and the front shocks at least as well I think I'll need.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM

I ordered new exhaust from Dave's Offroad Performance on 7/5/11. I have not yet received it. I've emailed and called them several times, just to get an email saying that they haven't received my messages and that they ran into a snag and had to install a 22RE into a 4runner to be able to make the exhaust. The email about that was sent to me on 7/22 and it said my exhaust would be shipped the following week. On 8/2 I received another email from them stating that the exhaust looked great, but no tracking number or pictures. I emailed them AGAIN on 8/9 and still have yet to get a response from them.

They told me on 7/22 they were going to throw in their aluminum HVAC faceplate for me and I told them that I may as well get shift knobs and some other stuff to dress up the interior and have everything shipped together. After the exhaust debacle, I am trying to give them some more money, (yes, dumb, I know) for more parts and they failed to respond. I have this Flowmaster 40 and my "cat" sitting here staring at me crying to be installed and been getting tortured trying to give someone business.

My SAS plans have slowed down considerably because some costly personal stuff came up. First thing is that I quit smoking on 7/1 and I though I was having a heart attack or stroke from nicotine withdrawal and had all kinds of tests done to make sure I was OK. Good news is, it was just the withdrawal, but the bad news is that health insurance didn't cover all the tests and I got slammed with a hefty bill.

Now just yesterday, I came home from a 12 hour day at work to hear my septic alarm going off. It turns out my pump isn't working. The temporary fix is to get my tanks pumped out tomorrow and then on Wednesday, find out if my pump can be fixed or if I need a new one. A new one could run $800-$1000...OUCH!

I'll end this on a positive note. I did find out the parts available to me from the guy that wants my parts 4Runner. He has a complete SFA with 5.29's and an Aussie locker with Longfields with all the gussets already welded up and a matching rear third. He also has new rotors & calipers for this axle as well. He has 2 other axles I can pick from too, but they both need to be rebuilt and are bone stock. I'm leaning towards the built with the 5.29's.

It looks like I'll have to buy the rear leaf swap from TG, probably 4" and 3" springs for the front. Oh, and Billy 5125's for the front to match the rears in the kit. The rest he has or can make. I may have to buy some odds and ends type things, but nothing major.

My Street RV head and 268 are screaming at me too...lol I need to get my extra injectors sent out to WitchHunter and new/reman'd rockers before that happens. I want to get the SAS done because my engine runs good now except for a slight miss.

I guess Wednesday will let me know how slow or fast I'll be able to move forward...fingers crossed that my existing pump can be fixed. It's 20 years old though, so not holding my breath. If all goes well, I can get some stuff ordered and maybe start and (although not by me, I can't weld). I could cut stuff off and grind with the best of them though......I think...lol

Ruskymx
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Good new and bad news....good news is that my exhaust FINALLY came in yesterday along with some extras that they threw in for me waiting so long for it. I can't complain about that because they took care of me, but I still say it shouldn't have reached that point. I am off tomorrow and the weather should be good so I should be able to get it installed.

The bad news is that along with the personal stuff mentioned earlier, the heavy rain storms that we had before Irene, exposed a major problem with my house. Apparently, whoever built my house thought that a 1/4 inch bead of silicone was enough to seal where my deck's ledger board attaches to the house. Well, they were terribly, terribly wrong. I had waterfalls in my basement. I got to work and ripped off the first few boards and installed some flashing just in time for Irene to give it a good test. I can report that my installation of flashing has diverted all water away from the house to harmless fall to the ground OUTSIDE! Woo Hoo!

Here are some pics because I know everyone likes pics.

"The old sealing job."

Proper flashing installed.

I had planned on doing composite decking at some point anyway so I figured while I was tearing stuff apart, may as well put it back together the way I want it. I bought 10 boards so far of TimberTech XLM PVC decking.....holy crap is it expensive, but VERY nice!

Since I installed just about all the boards I bought and ran out of money until payday, the deck project will be on hold until payday, but needs to be finished before my SAS. It's looking like spring/late winter at the earliest for the SAS.

I'll post some pics of the exhaust tomorrow prior to installation and after installation. As long as everything goes well, I'll get a video too. My exhaust is 2.25" into a "disguised" straight pipe into Flowmaster 40. My mechanic co-workers are telling me it's going to sound like a Briggs & Stratton on steroids. I guess we'll find out!

Back to the regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.....

Ruskymx
Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Got the exhaust installed...forgot to take pictures before I installed, but I'll take some of it installed. I need to get the leak fixed at the manifold. Not sure if one of the gaskets slipped out of alignment as I was tightening it or what happened, but definitely leak at the manifold. I'll take a video of the sound as well most likely on Sunday.

Ruskymx
Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wish i owned three separate 4runners haha. Looking good so far. Subscribed.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Well, I finally got the exhaust installed correctly. I had some issues with the headpipe leaking at the manifold connection. The problem was that I had the O2 sensor installed before I attached it to the manifold and it was sealing completely therefor causing a leak.

Headpipe up to manifold.

"Cat" back

Flowmaster 40. I need to get the other end of the hanger on the rubber, but need an extra hand to get it on. It'll do for now.

And a video for how it sounds. It's definitely loud when driving it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSX5F3VPNBM[/YOUTUBE]

Ruskymx
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Nice work risky
Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Nice work rusky.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Picking up some goodies tomorrow...pics to follow.

Quick Reply: Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread