86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some more stuff today. I have the driver's side mostly done, except for the top piece. The driver's side was much easier and faster to do & I think it came out better as well.

Lower trim on driver's side painted and reinstalled

The rest of the dash piece less glove box painted and ready to go, but I need to figure out why my blower isn't turning on. All fuses are good. I have a water leak from the previous owner doing a terrible job of replacing the windshield. I'm going to pull the relays etc from my 95 partout and swap them in to see if it fixes the problem.

I also installed a new idler arm today from Autozone. Duralast FA5040 so I can get the brass bushings to rebuild it. I'm going to see how long it lasts when I get my 33's on it and go from there on my decision for a Total Chaos Idler.

Oh yeah, I'll be pulling the trigger on my 30mpg mod for my 4Runner tomorrow...pictures to follow...

Ruskymx
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Here's my new Idler:

Here's what it looks like on the outside now.....multicolor!

The holes in the top piece to the door panel were kind of bothering me so I bought some stainless steel screws from Lowes and put them in the holes.

Now, onto my 30mpg mod....lol

It's a 1990 Celica GT with 84k miles. The lady that traded it in to my dealership bought it new in late 1989. She did have it repainted a year or two ago because she said the paint was really faded. It is in very good shape, with just a few minor issues like the power antennae not working (shocking, huh?) and the headliner is starting to fall down.

I'm thinking about selling my 2000 4Runner now since I'll be able to drive my 93 this winter when the weather is bad and every other day, drive this Celica. The proceeds from that, I'll be able to get wheels, tires, and a lot of the other goodies I want for my 93.

Ruskymx
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM

I did some more work today between pulling parts off the 95 and shipping stuff out.

Here are some interior pieces painted and drying

Pulled the carpet out. I didn't remove the sound deadening stuff yet, but I will do that when I'm ready to Herculine/Durabek/LineX the inside

Trim around and below the radio ready to go back in but I need to figure out why my blower doesn't work.

Center console painted and put back in. The lid is painted too, but forgot to take pictures after I put it on.

I desperately need a black or silver shift boot. I also need to figure out what to do about my blue dash as well. Oh yeah, shift knobs too...lol

I am going to have a master tech that I work with install my LC coils, rear shocks, extended brake lines & panhard drop bracket. He has a lift at his house and air tools so he could get it done MUCH quicker than I would be able to. My jackstands being tied up in my partout doesn't help either .

My ebay auction for my 00 4Runner ends on Saturday so hopefully someone buys it so I can get my wheels and tires. I'd really like to get it LineX'd right away, but new shoes are higher on the list than how it looks. I kinda like the black fenders, blue doors & tailgate and silver everything else...lol

Ruskymx
Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Rear lift is DONE! Woo Hoo! Just got home from work and snapped a few pics. It was starting to get kinda dark so they didn't come out the best. The torsions need to be adjusted. I don't believe they are even at stock height yet. I will mess with them on Sunday. I had ProComp ES 3000 series shocks, panhard drop bracket, LC coils and ext brake lines installed (F&R). The brake system was also flushed and new fluid was used. My old brake fluid was TERRIBLE! It was almost black...way over due to be flushed!

Living in PA and the rust and crap, my panhard bolt was siezed to the metal sleeve and needed to be drilled out after it was off. The guy I had do it had it done in 2 nights after his shift at the dealership. It was well worth the money to me that it cost me to not have to deal with it...lol He said even with coil spring compressors, the LC coils weren't the easiest to get it. He didn't touch the upper links for fear of a rust/seized bolts etc. FYI, the lower front shock bolts work great for a replacement for the panhard bar bolt. It doesn't have the tab to hold it in place, but it does have a bigger bolt head to get a wrench on.

I still need to fab up my own LSPV bracket which will be easy. It definitely drives different. I need to get the front leveled out with TB adjustments and get it aligned and it should be good.

Next on the list is wheels & tires. I'm still trying to sell my other 4Runner so either when I sell that or next paycheck, I'm going to buy some wheels. I'm going to buy them on eBay because the prices I found are good plus I got the email for 10% back in eBay Bucks for using IE9 so that should be roughly $40 back to use in July for something. I'd love to stumble across a LCE header on there, but haven't yet. I did come across a Downey header, but not LCE. I'm sure I can find something for the 4Runner to buy on eBay with $40+ of eBay Bucks to use.

I changed my minds about LineX too. I found this through YT,Durabak, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to get the Military Olive Drab for the entire exterior and black for the interior floor. I will use black on my bumpers and sliders when I get them too. I'm going to paint all the chrome black as well. I'm thinking about doing part of the hood in black. I was thinking the part that is "raised" on the hood, in black and the rest in OD. Black rockers and fender flares would look good too I think.

Ruskymx
Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Took some pics with better light today.

I need to get rid of the blue dash, steering wheel, and shifter boot. I'm going to get a wheel off of eBay along with the shifter boot in black. As far as the dash goes, I'm going to try and paint it in place. My windshield needs to be removed and reinstalled because the PO did a half-'d job at installing it himself. It leaks bad when it rains as you can see the rust from water pooling up on pass side floor and you can hear the air blowing in when driving. So when it's out, I'll be able to get the dash taken care of and take care of any rust under the windshield.

The guy that did my install made this to keep the brake line from catching for binding with any suspension components while flexing (lol IFS flexing).

Ruskymx
Old 06-05-2011, 12:37 PM

I bought some 33x12.5 KM2's on Friday and had them mounted and balanced.

I also took a drive to Baltimore today and picked up some stuff I found on Craigslist.

Street RV Head - New, never installed

EB 268 cam

The rest of the stuff. New timing cover, timing chain kit w/ steel guides, top end gasket set, head bolts, exhaust studs, valve adjuster screws/bolts

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some matched injectors from LCE and have them put in while everything is apart. I'm also thinking about getting a wideband O2 sensor and AFR gauge so I can tune it a little via AFM.

Ruskymx
Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 PM

tires look awesome
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Sweet!! Gotta love them km2s, i do!! Now, swap the 4.88s.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Pinon seals will be in Wednesday & 4Crawler diff drop I hope will be in by Friday. Waiting for the tracking info to update.

I also want to extend the diff breathers front and rear before Rausch EC4RJ on the 26th. My rear was blocked and I think it's the reason by seal started leaking on my 4.10's. It's still leaking after getting cleaned, but not as bad. The 4.88's don't seem to be leaking, but for a $5.55 part, it will be nice to know they are new. EDIT: Getting installed this Saturday!

The KM2's and the 3.75" backspacing on the wheels I think look awesome. I just need to get the body work done so it's all one color and not 3 different colors.

Ruskymx

Last edited by ruskymx; 06-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Starting to come together real nice Rusky.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Runner303
Starting to come together real nice Rusky.
Thanks!

I did some more stuff today. I took the 4Runner to a local exhaust shop for them to get a quote together for me for 2.25" from manifold to flowmaster 40 including a high flow cat and 2.5" from muffler to end.

I installed OEM dist cap, rotor, & plug wires as well because I think the previous owner just had cheap replacements. I also picked up an OEM head gasket to replace the Rock head gasket in my kit. I'd rather pay a little more for known quality instead of hit or miss with the Rock.

I had some aluminum bar lying around from when I made my axe and shovel mounts for my FJ so I used that to raise my LSPV.

Bracket Bling:

I am eventually going to black out all the chrome so I got started on the front bumper, which will eventually be replaced by an Addicted Offroad. I cleaned, sanded and then cleaned again the corner light trim, grill (center part was already black, didn't redo), and lower valance.

I just ordered this Sunday night and it arrived today. Thanks 4Crawler!

It's nice that it came in so quick. I am putting my 4.88's in this weekend. Well, I'm not. My coworker, (a Toyota tech) is. My stands and stuff are still tied up in my part out so for a few bucks, he's going to do it for me plus change the tranny & transfer case fluids. I know I don't need stands to change the fluids, but he's not charging me any extra to do it so FREE is for ME! Well, except for the fluids.

I'm buying a set of used injectors and then sending them to Witchunter to get them spiffed up and then buy a set of new HOC rocker shafts. I would just send mine in, but I want to have all the parts together and ready to go so when my tech does everything he can finish in a weekend.

I was talking with a buddy of mine and he says that if I can find out what MAF sensor LC uses for their MAF conversion, he can set it up for me. I know their site says a Tacoma, but 2.7 or 3.4 or newer 4.0's? I can probably get one for free from my dealership. My service dept may let me grab one from a frame buy back if it's from a 95-00. Time to start searching!

Ruskymx
Old 06-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
why hadn't I subscribed to this earlier.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM

The 4.88's are in! All I can say is WOW! What a difference! The only thing that sucks is that I didn't get new axles seals. Of course, the passenger side is leaking.

My old tires rubbed the control arms and apparently the brake line too because my new TG ext brake line on the P/S is ruined. I need to get a new one. I guess I should've listened to the guy that put them on and not drive it much until I got different wheels...ooops..my bad. I actually forgot about it.

When he was removing the rear axles, the brake lines snapped because they were rusted that bad so I now have new rear brake lines as well. A 4Crawler diff drop was also installed so my CV's won't be stressed as bad.

My used rocker arms assembly came in today along with my injectors so I need to get the injectors sent out to Witch Hunter to get spiffed up and order my new rocker arms & HOC shafts. Once I handle that, I should have everything to install my Street RV head and 268 cam except for the exhaust. I want to get the exhaust done before the head gets installed. A local shop quoted me $522 to do 2.25" from manifold back including high flow cat and flowmaster 40. I had him itemize the quote and just piping/labor is $340. I can get a Magnaflow HF cat on eBay for $55-57 shipped and a Flow 40 for similar price range.

Anyone have experience with Dave's Offroad Performance Exhaust?

Searching yielded no results. Just a few links back to the link above.

It looks like it's from the headpipe back. My headpipe is developing a hole in it right around the o2 sensor so I kinda need that too.

I'll get some pics as soon as I find my camera....I may have left it in my desk at work. At least I hope I did!!!! If it's not there, then I have a problem....lol

Ruskymx
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Here's the diff drop installed.

Painted the mirrors black today and ran out of paint so that's all I got to paint today. I thought I had a few more cans in my cabinet, but I was wrong...

Lots of rust to take care. Rockers & quarters filled with bondo, except the D/S which I pulled out to see how bad it is.

Debating about what to do to fix it. I'm thinking about cutting out all the bad metal and replacing it with new sheet metal purchased from Lowes or Home Depot. I was going to make a template out of cardboard and use it to cut the sheet metal. I don't have a welder so I was going to use that 3M panel adhesive. I read on YT somewhere that someone used it and it works good. I plan on putting on some Bushwackers so it doesn't have to be pretty and the entire body is getting Durabak.

As far as the area behind the rear bumper ends, I may just rivet some sheet metal in there just so it looks OK behind a MC or TG rear bumper. I never did any body work before so this should be interesting when I start.

Since I only have maybe 1000 miles on the new HG, etc, I'm thinking about getting the exhaust done first, then body work and wheel it all summer. It will give me more time to get the rest of the parts I want for when I get the RV head installed, which isn't much, but I can have the head installed over the winter, but I don't have a heated garage so body work/painting/Durabak will be a "no-go" with low temps. Hmmm......it's going to be tough though to look at that head & cam all summer without wanting it in immediately!...lol

Ruskymx
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Wow those rocker panels are a heck of alot better then mine are.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM

I saw the pics of your frame so i can only imagine how bad the rockers are. I think I should get working on mine so that doesn't happen to mine.

Ruskymx
Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM

oh yeah I forgot to mention, I got more bracket bling then you. Stainless steel hardware baby.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 PM

I switched my brake line today and it may have helped a little but not completely. I guess I need to get my seized bolts on the LCA's fixed so I can get it properly aligned. The sooner the better so I don't ruin my KM2's.

My dealership traded in a 92 Toyota Xcab with 251k on it. I need to confirm it but from what I can tell, the head gasket may have been done last September. It's a 3.slow 5-speed. Here are some pics:

It's in my driveway now and my pocket is only $585 lighter plus T&T.
$500 for the truck plus $85 for my service department to thoroughly check it out.

I don't plan to use it much, but it ran very good and only need tail light lenses, a few bulbs and rear brakes to pass inspection so I couldn't let it go to an auction for what I could buy it for.

I'm going to see if I can make the flares work for my 4Runner. The fronts will work fine, but the rears may take some tweaking. I'll get into that after Rausch Creek this weekend. I delayed some mods to my 4Runner by buying this, but oh well....I got another Toy!

Ruskymx
Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM

I ordered some more parts today. The exhaust is my next project. I'm communicating with Dave's Offroad about his tail pipe and head pipe. I'm most likely getting those from him and sourcing other stuff from eBay and my tech coworker will fab the rest if needed.

I bought a Flowmaster 40 from eBay for $58 shipped and my new Super High Flow Cat!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Ruskymx
Old 06-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Still planning on doing the herculiner on the inside of the 93 4runner? Curious how it'll turn out! Looking good so far man!

Quick Reply: Ruskymx's '93 4Runner Build-Up Thread