86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Reluctanse's 1992 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$Free g58 and tcase. Tranny needs an input shaft but the tcase is supposed to be g2g. Got from a buddy with a sweet 2nd gen.. more on that later.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 AM

Well swap is basically done. Didn't take any pictures because it was a pretty hard scramble to get it done this weekend with family duties and everything, but as of 7pm last night new case is in. Didn't drive it today but will tomorrow.

One thing, if you are going to swap just the transfercase by itself, overall its a pretty easy job, but my rig is low enough to the ground and I didn't have it on jack stands, so the tranny jack I borrowed was rendered useless. After laying under the rig and wrestling with the tcase in a few hard-mode methods for the better part of an hour, I came up with a plan that I thought was pretty clever. I didn't take pics but wish I did...

The tranny was supported by a bottle jack so I could raise/lower it as needed to align it. I attached the tcase to the crossmember and set the crossmember below its mounting points on jackstands, with my floor jack supporting the output flange to level/adjust it. Using that method I able to line it right up and incrementally work it back into place... actually really easy once I got my system worked out. Best option I could come up with by myself. Next time, I'll probably just jack the whole rig up about 6" so the tranny jack can clear.

Did throw new tranny output and tcase input seals in while I was there. Turns out, they are the same seal! Bad news, there was only one to be had in my town, so I had to drive 25 minutes one way to get the 2nd one.... that was part of my delay. Oh well, so it goes.

Related/unrelated, sitting at my buddy's house is this little gem, supposedly it was "running when it was parked" about 3 years ago. Once the 4runner is stabilized and I get some junk cleaned up at home, this will be coming to live with me and we'll see if I can get it running. I've always wanted a 3rd gen turbo supra! It will DEFINITELY need some love though...

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Well.... new transfercase also leaks. Also can't see where from... not either of the outputs. Input has a new seal.... hmmm............ leak isn't as bad so I'm just going to keep an eye on it for a bit.

Did install my new speakers today.... BAM huge difference! The 4" Pioneers someone had replaced the stock ones with in the front were blown and sucky, so it's a whole new world.

I cut alot of corners on this project, not proud of it, but in the name of just getting it done because I don't have time, here's what I did:

First I bought these: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CeLI55y...und-RPOD6.html for $50 shipped. Thought about building a plywood deal like Corey had on one of his old rigs, but this was easier. Remember, quick and dirty project.

Interesting, looks like they'll work:

And bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about $35.

Pulled the old speaker wire loose, extended it, and screwed the RetroPod to the door panels....

All hooked up and ready to go

Both installed

It sounds GREAT there is actual bass. Obviously nothing like a sub would have (maybe on the to do list...) but an enormous improvement over stock.

I'm overall happy with the outcome, especially for the investment of about an hour and $85. I don't love how the speaker wires are just hanging around out there, but I can live with it.

Long game will be some new door panels with a rubberized diamondplate or something, with the pods installed at the lower front and the map pockets moved back. For now, there's a tiny bit of interference in your knee space, more so on the passenger side, but I'm a smaller dude at 5'8" and I didn't really notice. It will work for now until door panel project some time... I can live with this for a couple years though I think.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Well, went ahead and finally got the heck outside with this thing.

Went to La Dee Flats, a newer trail outside of Estacada - lucky for me about 30 min from where I work! Never been there and wanted to check it out. Turns out it's pretty cool, some decent trails. I think the gatekeepers were the hardest parts for me but that's what's great about even a stock Toyota, they just work. I did drag butt a LOT though, could have used a locker more than once, definitely need to get some armor going. Other than a few new koofs on my skid plate, and some rock rash on my trailer hitch, no real damage done. Must say, it's awesome wheeling with A/C!

Went with my buddy who's got a similar 4Runner, similar as in 2nd gen.... he's SAS, leafs all around, OM617, dual cases..... etc etc... but no AC and some cooling issues - but it was pretty hot out today!

Didn't get much for pics as we got out there late in the day and were just out to check the place out. Only ran 1 real trail, which was pretty cool, but I'm sure there's more. Getting too old to go night exploring these days when I don't know the area, wife expected me home sooner than dawn, so we called it off at dark and headed home.

Only pic of the trip:

Buddy got a shot of me in the gatekeeper

I took a video too but it ended being of nothing. There's a short trail that's really just a mud pit play area we went down. Neither of us had much heart to attempt the mud holes....

Might need to consider a lift sooner than later after tonight's journey.

Last edited by Reluctanse; 08-26-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM

In related news, did some axle rotation counts yesterday - and was able to determine current truck has 4.10's in it - not bad. My spare chassis doesn't have 4.88's like I originally thought/hoped, BUT, it does has 4.56's by my rotation counts, which is still excellent for my needs. Saving pennies for an ARB installed in the rear at some point and then I'll swap them over - presuming the 33's will already be done
Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM

Think I'm going to pull the trigger.....

"But honey, I have to buy them now, the sale ends tomorrow!"
Old 08-31-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Do itttttt!!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Backed out on the wheel/tire order.... really want some better rims but need to keep saving it will be worth it. At least, I keep telling myself that while rolling on 235s

Old 09-06-2016, 03:13 PM

So if anyone is interested, I've been keeping record of my milage since I bought this truck.

One thing of note that has come up over (and over and over) is regarding EGR delete and fuel milage before/after.

This is hardly conclusive data, but I've seen posts with people stating milage will drop, etc. Now I don't know what a fresh rebuilt motor would get WITH an EGR still in place, but here are my numbers. EGR has never worked on this truck since I've had it FYI.

Odometer Trip Gallons MPG Notes

196,634 purchase milage
196,821 187.0 9.2 20.4 partial tank, milage is estimate
197,036 215.0 13.2 16.2 partial tank, milage is estimate
197,317 280.8 14.2 19.8 first full tank
197,606 289.0 14.6 19.9
197,895 287.0 15.6 18.4
198,176 281.0 14.9 18.9
198,437 ENGINE REBUILT
198,723 285.0 15.0 18.9
198,985 262.0 13.4 19.6
199,274 289.0 15.0 19.3
199,437 1ST OIL CHANGE - 10w30 el cheapo
199,548 274.0 13.8 19.8
199,813 265.0 13.3 20.0
200,248 derp
200,338 287.7 13.1 21.9 added 1/4 qt oil, cleaned O2 sensor
200,611 273.7 13.5 20.3 added 1qt Lucas oil stabilizer (est milage)
200,906 213.6 10.9 19.6 NEW FUEL PUMP, partial gas loss
201,120 294.7 14.2 20.8 added 1 qt oil
201,393 272.4 12.4 21.9

It's still using more oil than I would like, which is starting to concern me, but otherwise it runs pretty good and seems to be getting pretty decent milage. I'll keep posting updates by tank.

PS, sorry not the best data formatting, excel doesn't like posting into the message boards... I can put it up on a google doc and share it if people really want the data, just let me know.

Last edited by Reluctanse; 09-06-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 PM

And also still fighting a leaky transfercase. Might tear the old one apart, re-seal it, and swap it back in. This is getting stupid.

Had a leaking valve stem on the passenger rear tire, getting that fixed and was told the passenger rear axle seal is leaking.... the one I didn't replace when I did everything else.... fine, I'll add it to the list.....

I really want to source some rear interior panels that aren't shot and finish up the back....

As is today..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM

Drove downtown last night, ended up sitting in a bunch of traffic for about 45 minutes. Towards the end of the drive, I look back and noticed LOTS of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Thought, well, there goes my new motor with all of 3k miles on it... then it stopped smoking and was fine. Thought I blew the headgasket already, but not sure how that would have happened. Anyways after that it cleared up and has been fine, at least on the drive home and this morning. Runs fine, temp's have been fine, oil pressure is fine.

Wondering if maybe its over full on oil.... and some blew into the intake....? Or I keep thinking my rings still aren't quite fully seated as it burns a bit of oil still, and all the idling I was doing caused it to "load up" somehow??

Made me sad.... trusting my rebuild less and less, but not sure what would have been done wrong either... used an OEM HG, etc. Hasn't overheated at all.... In my mind while it was smoking I just spent another $1200 on a reman'd engine and moved on with my life.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Reluctanse; 09-09-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:50 PM

21.5 mpg on fill up tonight-
Old 09-11-2016, 12:56 PM

nice build
Old 09-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
IDK about the smoke. Has it slowed?

Notice you're still missing the grey rear panels. Not finding any eh?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM

Smoke is completely gone, been gone since 5 min after it started. Dunno, bizarre....

Yeah need to source some rear panels, haven't put a concerted effort in yet to do it though..
Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Everyone has a different philosophy around oil changes so I figured I would share mine-

I get the cheapest oil I can find (usually from Wally World) in the right grade. Everything is API graded pretty much these days. Having read all about it and heard different opinions forever I still stick with this method. Even thought this is a "fresh" engine I see no need to do anything different. No plans to run synthetic in it at this time. So bought this "SuperTech" 5w30, after reading about the "w" rating number.... it only applies when cold, and lower is better. In fact, if they made a 0w30 conventional I would run it but that's pretty much a Synthetic only grade. Anyways, also running 1 qt of Lucas Oil stabilizer to see if it will quiet down my valves at all. Normally don't even do that. Just cheap API oil in correct grade.

Also running a Napa Gold (Wix) 1068 filter. These filters, once upon a time, were what Napa had listed as the filter for my 82 pickup. As you can see, they are MUCH larger than the Toyota filter. Wix is a good filter by pretty much all reports, I've been running these a long time in my Toyotas. Gave the OEM a shot on the last change but the size of the filter just makes me feel better

Total Cost:

Oil: 5 qt 5w30 "SuperTech" - $12.20
Filter: Napa Gold 1068 - $7.29

TOTAL: $19.49

Yes, for about $30 Jiffy Screwb will change my oil and I don't have to do it, but its about a 15 min job, and I have peace of mind that it was done right. PSA for those who have their oil changed, just do it yourself! Yes, you have to deal with disposal, but most cities offer curb side pickup. Please please just change your own oil, heard way too many horror stories.

Also found a coolant leak while I was in there, this sensor was loose, like way loose!

Tightened it up, no leaks... weird that it came loose.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:12 PM

21.7 mpg last tank - starting to closely monitor oil consumption after Monday's change, so far so good...

Teaser for my next upcoming project on it:

Old and busted:

New and sexy (but wrong color...)

Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 PM

21.3 mpg...

Well hope the old girl is up to the task and ready for duty.... got about 500 miles to drive tomorrow.

Main concerns:
  • weird smoking (hasn't happened since the once incident)
  • tires (had 2 flats repaired now in the last 3 weeks...)
  • rear axle seal is leaking
  • valve cover is leaking oil (not bad but can smell it some, it's annoying)
  • oil consumption in general
Wish me luck... I think it'll be fine, I'll keep everyone posted maybe take some road trip pics!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
two flats, that brings the suck.
always have a little extra gear oil to refill the pumpkins if the rear axle leaks..hopefully it doesn't leak onto the rear brake shoes.

hope you made it fine. I have yet to baptize the 4runner on a long road trip.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 AM

She made it!

Rear seal seems holding OK. Drove about 600 miles, burned about 3/4 of a quart of oil. Not sure what is up, at about 4k miles since rebuild.

Everything else behaved itself. Lot of miles though. No more weird smoking.

Weather was great though!

Quick Reply: Reluctanse's 1992 4Runner