86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rcrandy's 93 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcrandy's 93 pickup build

I bought this truck about 5 years ago for $3300. It had around 130k miles on it. None of the gauges worked. It had no a/c or stereo and the hi beams didn't work. But it was in damn good shape and had a brand new set of 32 11.50's. lol

Last edited by rcrandy; 01-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM

I installed a cd player and the gauges started working lol. Also swapped out the battery with an Optima yellow top. Since the hi beams didn't work I picked up some cheap fog lights and cut the grille out.

I got bored with it and added a toolbox "freebie" and removed the factory side decals.

My old Gt
Old 01-03-2012, 06:03 PM

I had the truck about a year and the starter went out. Then it needed a fuel filter and a few other things. Around year 3 it blowed a head gasket. I went ahead and replaced the timing chain as well. I left the front skid off and removed the front lower valance. A friend I used to work with built me a rear bumper. Ive been waiting for someone to test it out. I came across an old camper top "freebie". I ended up down grading to 31 10.50's.

Now something just doesn't look right here.......

YOTER CANCER

I thought it stated riding funny.lol Not one spot of rust anywhere else on the truck. I later got that fixed.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Now its at 184k miles and still kicking! I plan on driving it till it can no longer be driven. Still haven't figured out whats up with the hi beams. I haven't really put much effort in to it. The horn stopped working. The drivers side sun visor wont stay up and someone broke the antenna off. lol I added some old KC lights to the top of the camper. I plan on adding a Safari rack. I'm a hiking and camping enthusiast so it'll come in handy. I need to get a spare tire and a hi lift jack. I also need to do some interior work. The seat and carpet are alittle rough but every thing else looks brand new. I working landscaping so I get pretty dirty. I thought about pulling the carpet out and rhino lining the floor. But any ways there will be more to come. Please share your thoughts and tips.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Truck looks good. The cap looks a lot better paintedm
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM

It does! I need to do some more work to it. Ive been thinking about removing the bubbles beside the side windows and replacing them with plexi glass. So each side would be a single piece. Then tint the inside and cover the outside with metal mesh like in this pic. Id still be able to see out and it would give it a tougher look. It would also be zombie proof.....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:55 PM

I like it the way it is. Kinda old school. I vote leave it. But she's your truck.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 AM

I believe ill get some of the Bed liner and paint the complete shell, rear bumper, front grille, and possibly the front bumper. Oh and those plastic pieces in front of the rear tires. I cant remember what they are called. Im not a fan of chrome. I plan on building a new front bumper anyway.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM

So I'm checking out lockers and I need to know what size i need. B03A is 8" 4.10 gears Do I have that right?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BO3A? Was your truck made in the U.S.A.?

But yes, BO3A is 4.10:1, 2 pinion

Also, your truck looks great IMO, you should get a skid plate for it.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 AM

Heres a pic. I have the stock skid i need to get around to cleaning it and painting it. I had to replace the head gasket, timing chain and a few other things just never got around to putting it back on.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Hello rcrandy.. Truck is looking great. I see your high beams arent working and horn. In my 88 build on my first post I have it listed on how to fix these two items. The dimmer switch assembly is around $40 in a bone yard. But it is usually just needing a little filing to get the contact clean. Wifes fingernail kit works great. hehe. I went and looked up and it is on Page 8 #199.

Your horn issue is more then likely the brass ring on the back of the steering wheel isnt making contact witht the brass spring loaded tab at the 11 or 12 oclock position. I just take a small flat blade screw driver and pry the ring up some and put a little gasket material or something similar to hold it up. Dont try and bang the steering wheel off of the shaft, you will bulge the shaft and not get it back togther. You can usually rent the tool from most majot parts store for free. I just pull the horn cover and pop it loose in the parking lot and just make sure I have it snug enought to get home and then fix it. Welcome to Yotatech.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Dee

Zombie proof is always a good thing! I do like your truck. =]
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello rcrandy.. Truck is looking great. I see your high beams arent working and horn. In my 88 build on my first post I have it listed on how to fix these two items. The dimmer switch assembly is around $40 in a bone yard. But it is usually just needing a little filing to get the contact clean. Wifes fingernail kit works great. hehe. I went and looked up and it is on Page 8 #199.

Your horn issue is more then likely the brass ring on the back of the steering wheel isnt making contact witht the brass spring loaded tab at the 11 or 12 oclock position. I just take a small flat blade screw driver and pry the ring up some and put a little gasket material or something similar to hold it up. Dont try and bang the steering wheel off of the shaft, you will bulge the shaft and not get it back togther. You can usually rent the tool from most majot parts store for free. I just pull the horn cover and pop it loose in the parking lot and just make sure I have it snug enought to get home and then fix it. Welcome to Yotatech.
Thanks i'll try that this weekend!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
Zombie proof is always a good thing! I do like your truck. =]
I have seriously thought about zombie proofing it. I had a list of things. I even found some of these stickers for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zombie-Outbr...item256b477e76
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM

How do you like your tires? I was thinking about putting them on my 2nd gen 4runner.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have the same question as Brandon54. Are those Wrangler Authorities any good? I know it is a special tire sold specifically at Walmart and come in limited sizes. I haven't read too many reviews on them though. How do they compare to other ATs?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM

I have nitto tara grapplers now and I hate them. The wranglers looked like they had a little more tread. Im in so cal so the most of the wheelin I do is in the desert sand which im sure the tire is more than capable of. I was wondering how the tire would preform on deep mud and snow, or if it would be better to save up the more and by a real mt tire.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I haven't really heard much about the Terra Grapplers. The Wrangler Authoritys look like they have a much more aggressive tread pattern. As for the performance in deep mud and snow, the basic rule of thumb is that All terrains perform good in snow, rain, and on pavement but are horrible in mud, while Mud terrains aren't that great in snow, rain, and pavement but are excellent in mud. So, most of the time, it is one or the other, snow or mud.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM

I like these tires. I have had them about a year. They do great on pavement and in rain. We dont get alot of snow here where I live but last year we had about 6 inches and I didnt have any trouble in it. As far as mud goes I dont get to play in it as much as id like too. But it had no problems in 6 inches of mud. Anytime anybody around here gets a good mud pit started it gets ruined with drunks and there trash then filled in. I had these Adventuro M/T

http://www.onlinetires.com/search/ve...ds/page_1.html

Quick Reply: rcrandy's 93 pickup