86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ra33it's 91 22re 4x4 build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a 2010 WRX. Me and my girlfriend are the only human beings who have pushed the pedals. We love it like a child.

The WRX seats bolted in ok, 2 bolts line up no prob, third bolt required some bending to get it to line up. To get it perfect would require some cutting on the rails and a bit of welding to make a bracket. Its not a big deal for me how it is now, but once I get everything else done, I'm hoping to fab something up. I just have too many projects cooking to bother right now.

I will say, the pass seat is not height adjustable like the drivers side, and people who are approaching 6 feet will probably be pretty smooshed into the ceiling. Me and the lady are both short and small, so it isn't a problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Holy Crap. Brian from front range just called, my order is shipping!
He's not the best at emailing updates, he's not the best at answering the phone, and he totally sucks at getting parts out on time.

Brian only sent my rotors and brake lines, he didn't tell me that when he sent me my tracking info. I requested the updated tracking info for the additonal packages and he conveniently had a "computer issue" and had to call me back. Weeks go by. Still no word on the rest of the parts. This guy is totally worthless. He flat out lies about time frames, calling you back, emailing. He hasn't replied to a single email or voicemail, and I've sent several of each. I will never do business with him again. I'd suggest you avoid him as well. I'm so beyond pissed, because I'm sitting in Hawaii right now, unable to determine if or when this junk is hitting my porch. Today is Feb 20th. I ordered my parts on Dec 15. I paid for them 3 weeks ago. Still missing the bulk of the order. This sucks.

Last edited by dropzone; 04-20-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: censor picked up on langauge
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
seems like your head is in the right place with this build... i really like it...

curious tho, you gonna lock the rear while its apart?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM

I thought about it, but I don't have the dough for an ARB, and i don't really want detroit or full spool/welded spiders etc... The current plan is to take the 4.10s out and get em rebuilt, maybe the ARB fairy will visit...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Today is March Fourth. I'd LOVE to install my full float kit from front range, but it still hasn't arrived. I ordered Dec 15. I paid the first week of Feb. It is March 4th and I still don't have the flipping stuff. If you thought you wanted a Front Range Off Road Full float kit, let me assure you, you don't. This B.S. is over the top. I've been nothing but nice, communicated often, and I get unfulfilled promises. I ask for tracking numbers on the phone, in email, I don't get em. 2 packages have radomly shown up, one with rotors and brackets, the other with spindles...but the bulk of the kit is still MIA and I have no idea if or when they're coming. I might have to give VISA a call.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Yup you guessed it. Still no axles.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM

HO LEE COW! Axles are heeeeeeeeeeere! WOo hoo!

I just gotta go pick up my bearings and seals and I finally do my rebuild.

Woo hoo!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 PM

passenger side tire came off today. T bar is off. caliper is off. ball joints, hub cover, steering knuckle, shock, half shaft...all out. It only took me about an hour to get it all disassembled. In the process of repacking the hub and bearings. Tomorrow the sway bar and control arms are going to come off, get new bearings and a coat of paint, and I'll start on the driver side.

Pretty stoked to be finally tearing this thing down. Everything that has come off has been a piece of cake so far, with the exception of the lower ball joint which was a) fused into place b) very notchy/blow out. It held grease fine, but def. needs to be replaced. upper seems fine.

I'll wait to go to the parts still till I get the other side off, see what else I need.

Air tools make this job easy as pie. I can't imagine doing it without, especially the bolts connecting the cv to the diff...long extension and an impact socket made my day.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM

All control arms are off, pressing in the the bushings tomorrow.
Diff is off, need to replace one bushing on that, and the new one goes in tomorrow.
Front end is 60% complete. Then on to the rear.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Hubs are ready.
A-arms are not. Couldn't get those damn staked 27mm bolts off, no leverage with the arms off the truck.
Had a buddy stand on em, made all the difference. Bolts are off. Hitting the shop tomorrow and pressing the bushings out (finally).

The place I'm going to is Nameless Performance...they're fitting a new prototype exhaust on my WRX, they're trading me some time on their press in exhange for a 2010 WRX hatch to test fit their new exhaust Its possible I'm going to come home with my bushings pressed, and a new axle back!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool build up. lot of the same stuff I've done, but your truck looks a heck of a lot nicer.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM

Nameless performance hooked me up! A-arm bushings came out with some swearing, I got a new -bomber- magnaflow axle back that sounds amazing on my WRX, and they are actually going to be building me some custom headers for the yota... I'll be sure to post some video and photos this summer of the exhaust build. Tomorrow I will start re-assembling my front end....nervous about those elliptical lower a-arm bolts and getting a proper local alignment.

I simply can't wait to drop the rear diff, swap out the axles, and bolt up my supra calipers!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Well, the truck drives awesome.
I found a frozen caliper piston when I was replacing my pads, so I ended up snagging a pair of refurbed calipers for about 80 bucks.

All said and done since I bought the truck I have replaced or refurbed essentially every piece of the front suspension, except the pitman, which seems fine. Every other thing is new... plus the 4.88 diff and axles. It drives like BUTTER. Alignment came out sweet. Front is a little raked still, need to crank on the T-bars a bit more, but I couldn't be happier with how things came out.

I tossed in some Marlin bushings in the shifter and T case shifter today, and went for a spin.... turns out I need to bleed my Master Cylinder, because the pedal got pretty soft and required some pumping at one point... I capped lines when I swapped calipers and power bled, but I def. need to go higher up to get it dialed...

I'm pulling the truck into the garage tomorrow to attack the rear diff, swap out the axles, and add the Supra calipers and solid axle hubs/flanges aka full float magic. Once its done, I'll bleed the whole system.Stoked.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Happy New Year!

Updates:
I thrashed my clutch. Rather than just replace the clutch, I figured what the hell, and i replaced the whole motor. KB Long Block. Boy what a difference. 240k on the clock and it was time.

While I was in there, I tossed in a SR5 cluster w/ Tach so I could be a little more aware of the motor (oil pressure, volts, better temp meter + tach!).

Truck is running well. I've been mountain biking, steelhead fishing and elk hunting and i haven't had any issues so far. Love my Yota.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 AM

Did you even get any pics after you got the suspension done? I was wanting to see them.

I figured you had sold the truck since your last post. Until now.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Couple quick snaps...not sure if these images will share, let me know. I need to go around the whole thing and document lots of stuff...like the beautiful new motor

Last edited by ra33it; 01-11-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: stupid photo linking
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ra33it
Couple quick snaps...not sure if these images will share, let me know. I need to go around the whole thing and document lots of stuff...like the beautiful new motor

Nice wheel, that's what I was looking to put in my toy, thank for the pic, now I know what it will look like.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Reviving this. Nice truck (and suby, I'm jealous) I am about to install my OME kit on my 93 Pickup. I have a part-time topper but other than that this thread was a great reference for me as far as what it'll look like when all is said and done. I'll be running the same tire size as well. Quick question for you: I don't want quite as much lift as the kit offers. Instead of 2-2.5 I'm looking for more like 1.5" You think leaving out one of the overload leaves on the Dakars would be my best bet? and just cranking the t-bar down to match. Every other leaf pack alternative I've researched seems to be cheapo JC Whitney stuff and I really want to stick with OME. Bottom OL leaf my best bet to leave out?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM

So, I find the rear end pretty stiff. I have the Tbars pretty jacked WITH BJ spacers to get it flat. I'd say you'll probably be happier if you pull one out, though I've not done it myself. Maybe someone else can pipe in. The other option is to just put a tool box or a couple hundred lbs of crap in your truck bed

Love the Yota.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM

I asked ARB about pulling a leaf from my spring pack (4 main, 2 overload) to soften the ride, and they said:

"You will want to remove the third leaf down from the main, this will reduce the spring rate about %15"

My guess is that would get you down to the level of 1.5 to match BJ spacers without cranking your t-bars.

Quick Reply: ra33it's 91 22re 4x4 build-up