86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Project "Striper" Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Looklng good and making me envious. Cant wait to see how it comes out.
did you consider having the whole assembly balanced? I had the 22re in a Celica GTS
balanced when it was rebuilt and it felt amazing afterward.
Thanks!! You know, if my machine shop bill wasn't already what it was - with boring, light decking, turning all the lobes on the crankshaft and reconditioning the rods - I might have done just that. I paid on the high end for my machine work too but this is the only reputable shop in my city. Gotta love New Orleans.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I got the engine back from the machine shop (again) today. All is good. I had the compression rings swapped in their lands on the pistons. Pistons are in, only snag I hit was on the 4th rod where, after tightening the cap, the crankshaft was bound. Luckily I'd been checking as I went and knew the problem was on the 4th rod and doubly lucky I put maker's marks on my rods during disassembly. So, it only took a few seconds to diagnose that the rod was rotated on the piston and a few minutes after that to pull the piston, yank the wrist pin, rotate the rod, reassemble and reinstall.

The oil clearance on the rod journals checked out as well:

Up next, oil strainer, main seals, oil pan and sensors on the outside of the block.

Thanks for stopping by!