86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

PowerstrokeJoe's 1990 Ex.Cab 4X4 "Toycedes" Build-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowerstrokeJoe's 1990 Ex.Cab 4X4 "Toycedes" Build-Up

Hey Guys,
I figured I should go on and start a build up thread for my truck. A little back story on it. I bought it in March 2011 at a local dealer because I wanted a commuter truck for college as I have a pretty good commute. I have always loved these trucks and this one seemed to be in pretty good shape and for the most part rust free for this area. Needless to say it followed me home. It had 212k on it. It was a 3.0 5 spd DLX. Here it is a little after I got it.

Not too long after I got it I had an unfortunate accident with a trailer and ripped the factory rotted mess of a rear bumper in two. Around here the cops don't play too well with not having bumpers so I threw this one together in a few days out of some scrap steel we had laying around the farm. One of the things that will happen in the near future will be to re mount it closer to the body. I really don't like it that low but it gets the job done.

After that I left it alone for a while and drove it, but I hated the mileage it got. My 1 ton Ford got better mileage. So being a diesel nut, this happened over the winter.

Thats an OM617 3.0 Mercedes Turbo Diesel. I completely rebuilt the engine from the ground up before it went in. It's no rocket ship but gets fantastic mileage which is partly why it got put in. The swap thread is in my signature for anyone who is interested. It's still alive and well and I am still tweaking the engine.
As for the interior: It is still mostly stock, but I really want to change that as well I plan to add buckets soon and some other things. Here are the gauges I installed to go along with the diesel. Top to bottom: Oil pressure, EGT, Boost. I also added a water temp gauge because I hate the whole C-H thing. The button below the clutch cancel is for the glow plugs. Here is the truck as of today sorry for the crappy pics I lost my memory card for the camera. The trucks a mess. I haven't gotten it in for a wash in a while.

My plans were to finish the diesel swap and leave the truck as is and drive it. Well I have been bitten by the bug and I can't stop here. So here are my future plans. Mind you I am 21 and on a college budget and doing this between school, work and the farm so progress will be slow and as I get funds. Anyhow the plans:

Flatbed- My bed is starting to rust pretty badly and I am strongly leaning toward building a flatbed for it this winter. Time will tell on that.

Lift- I am thinking about doing a small lift and retaining the IFS, but an SAS is not out of the question. I hardly ever off road this truck and what off road it does see is here taking tools to the field or something like that.

New Wheels- I hate the wheels that are on it. I'm thinking Classic II's or Black Fuel Revolvers. I probably will stay with the same size. I have 35's on my Super Duty and they aren't cheap haha.

Tires- They will have to be replaced in due time.

I am going to have the truck repainted the same color and the rust repaired at some point. I have a cab corner that's getting pretty sketchy

The interior- Cb, Buckets, some form of center console, different stereo, Mag lite holder, and whatever else happens.

So that's about all I can come up with for now. I know this will get crazier as time goes on. I hope you all will bear with the slow progress because I really appreciate input and if you all have any suggestions feel free to let me know. So with that let the building begin!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Great job with the OM617, I too have a ford f350 diesel and Jetta TDI. But keeping my 87 pickup and 89 runner gas. I see a turbo in the Toyota nice....keep us posted....Bill
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 PM

I to am a deisel guy I have a 7.3 IDI non turbothat I love great milliage for what it is you know. the idea of a deisel in a toyota is awsome just out of my reach at this point, great job on the swap look forward to the rest of the build.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have been following your diesel build and one day plan on hitting you up for some tips and such. Got get my project done and have been looking for a diesel donor. I like diesels myself and want the mileage and horsepower. Your truck is looking great.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A 617 Merc powered Yota, you've done a fantastic job, cant wait to see more progress on your build !!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks guys! Progress will be slow but steady I guess. It's one of those things that never gets finished.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM

WEll joe Loved your Motor thread might as well watch this one too. good luck homey
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Thats a great looking bumper man! It compliments the diesel nicely!! Im planning a motor swap too but im taking a different direction.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM

B- yodaful- Thanks I'm looking forward to getting going on this.
streetlancer- Thanks! I wasn't sure how it was going to look after I built it but I am happy with it.

I really don't have any progress to report. I have been fine tuning the engine, but I am going to try to get over to the local parts yard and find a pair of bucket seats soon. I got a chance to take some pictures of the truck outside today so I figured I'd post them along with a quick video I made of it. So here it goes.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/3F3dl1ZwL2M[/YOUTUBE]

I'll post more updates as they come. I am starting back to work for the summer so it should free up some money.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Truck is looking great. I had a 91 extended can and used seats from a 93 runner and liked them well. Now instead of V-6 on the grill dont you need I-5?? jk, one day if get up that way I would like to look at your truck. I think you have gotten me talked into it here in a year or so. I have been scanning c-list for a Mercedes, maybe one will pop up at the right time.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-23-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 AM

What brand is the gauge pod and bran of gauges ?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Terry- You are welcome to take a look any time. I think it would be really cool to have a gtg of all the Yota guys around here sometime. I actually have a "Powered by Mercedes Benz" sticker off a sprinter van ordered for it if it ever gets here.

Mike- The gauges are Glowshift tinted 7 color in their universal pod. it fits very well with a little trimming.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Ok guys I need your opinions on some wheels. I ran over a rock on my way to the field last night and ruined one of my tires. Instead of dropping the money on tires I am going to put a set of all terrains on that I took off my Dodge. The problem is they are 16's so its new wheel time. I was going to replace the wheels on it anyhow. Any suggestions you have would be awesome! I am debating between the Fuel Revolvers.
and the Classic II's

Let me know what you all think and if there is another wheel you think of let me know. There are so many wheels out there I get a headache thinking about the choices haha.

Last edited by PowerstrokeJoe; 05-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm.... they both look the same to me.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Me too on the looking the same. But I like them both if that's the case haha
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Oops good call I didn't notice that. I'll fix it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I should of been born in the 50s as I like the Chrome and bright paint. As for myself I like the chrome but the black wheel style.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Terry- I am with you on the chrome I really like it. The black wheels are really growing on me though. Plus the one behind my exhaust is already black haha. It is probably going to come down to whatever I can get here quickest because I need the truck back on the road. Thanks again for your input!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM

I just ordered the Classic II's. Apparently the Fuel wheels do not come with the correct center bore for the hub. I'll be sure to post pics when they get here.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 PM

The wheels finally came in. It took forever to get them here because the tire shop got my order wrong. I only have a couple of crappy cell phone pics but I am going to take some more tomorrow.

The new tires are slightly larger than the last set, but I didn't notice any power difference. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out.

Quick Reply: PowerstrokeJoe's 1990 Ex.Cab 4X4 "Toycedes" Build-Up