86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Pistol_Pete's '91 Runner (for the misses) Build-Up WITH LOTS O' FUN PIX!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pistol_Pete's '91 Runner (for the misses) Build-Up WITH LOTS O' FUN PIX!

Hey all -

We have been here for a few months, sort of browsing around, geeting some really good info from all of you (especially since we have the 3.0 in our runner....*gulp*...just waiting for that blow)
I love these types of forums. You guys all have great real-world info that is so useful and practical.

So anyways. Had a tacoma some years back and loved it. Stupidly dumped it. Now we just got a good little deal on this runner and want it for the Sierra Nevada's to do a little trailing and drive daily. So a small build-up will commence for the little lady to have a little fun with....
The current state of the 5 speed, 3.uh-0 runner:

A little history -
The misses kicks a$$. she is a public safety employee and can hang with the boys. Has been screwing around on quads and dune buggies, rhino's, etc currently down to dirt bikes and this little project.

Some past/current toys:

custom buggy at sand mountain

the rhino

Us at the Dunes in Oregon

Her Xmas present two years ago:

My bike:

Her Bike:

the ol' 63 with SBC 350:

the past 78 shovel (RIP..)

'ol BLUE, fishin -

the '70, 351 Cleveland

a SMALL part of the Home security system after the recent break in and theft - (a$s holes...)

and the little lady (desert storm vet)-

Ok, enough of that. Back to the Runner -
so thanks to advice from some of you, water pump bracket fixed and new belts on.

While we were at it, new shocks all around, pitman arm, etc, etc for front end work

Some interior stuff for comfort done, blah blah.

Got thirsty while we were working, but couldnt get it to budge...

Got to reading all about the 3.0 HG issues...was considering a swap for the engine below out of the mustang.....

BUT....maybe we will just keep chugging along with our 3.0 and take the chances, fix it when it blows....(just turned 189k miles, new timing and water pump done...unknown HG....Toyota service records have no record of it being done/V06)

Ok, so...Ordered some fun stuff with the payout from the last job i quit -

Winch, front tube bumper from low range, rack off ebay...others, what else...i forget. It is getting going.

So, we'll start with that and go from there. May have Lots of questions for you all as it gets going but gonna make this fun for her.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Research a 3.4 swap for the 4Runner... Dont pull the mustang's motor...
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
... Dont pull the mustang's motor...
Never!
(Was just screwing with ya!...that mustang is actually gone now, recently sold her as she wont handle the off road very well...)

Have been looking at the 3.4 swap and reading ALOT of what you guys say... Will just wait for this one to go and decide then.

So this is a small rendering of our inspiration for her light trail/daily driver rig -

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Im not generally a fan of the tubed bumpers on a 4Runner, or any SUV for that matter. I think they belong on trucks. Go ahead and look at my build thread if you want an idea. I have plated bumpers all around, sliders, lockers, gears, tires, rims.... currently saving to do an SAS
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM

Love the bumper! Should be s sweet runner.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Nice G-locks
Old 01-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

That's a great start. Welcome to the family!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM

Yeah, its gonna be fun.

So we are suppposed to be FINALLY gettin some snow over the next few days so we are taking her out to see what she has got up near Donner. Will put some pix up later. In the meantime...Just sold our enclosed trailer so mo' money to build with! Yippee!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM

So i got to take the new girl out for a spin this morning to run some errands in Auburn...Runs great after the new water pump and belts. Also, new brakes all around - now she stops straight instead of a quick veer to the right followed by a jolt to the left. Ahh, the little things in life - good working brakes.

Note the "fancies" (prepare for sarcasm and bad jokes...)

"New Floor mats for my dirty feet..." - she says

What is this? a steering wheel cover? "there was a sticky substance on the steering wheel" she says...uh, ok. yeah, better off just covering that stuff...

Is the Cup Holder SUPPOSED to do this?...

"Maybe we can use this to paint it?" - she says

Note the previous owners' "Custom" exhaust...need more throaty sound? Just cut it!

Urban camo paint!

ANd yeah, a tape player? What are those? Anybody have any 80's hair band tapes laying around i can use?

I pushed it but couldnt get away from the soft rock...

Halfway there to "yotatech"

"Awww, look at me! My first Crawling experience! Look Ma, I can do it!"

Big brother in the parking lot -

yeah yeah, stupid, i know. We are getting to the good stuff. Going to play in the mud and snow (hopefully) tomorrow -
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just got done going thru your build. Just got done building a runner for my wife. Her dream car is the 69 firebird you have in a previous post. I like the old hot rods myself. I have an orginal 72 Cutlass Supreme.

Dont worry about the 3.0, I had a 2nd gen myself witht the 3.0 and loved it. The rust got ahold of it and just wasnt feasible for me to fix or able to for my abilities, and that is saying something.lol

Looking forward to your build. Enjoy hunting and fishing myself so this should be a great thread for me to follow. Welcome to Yotatech.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 AM

Oh yeah, the old firebirds... The green one in the previous pix was my buddies second. He built himself a cherry red '68 for himself that is gorgeous...I'll try and find a pix. He is currently just finishing a '67 now. Love the old muscle too but it was just too impractical for where we moved to two months ago. Not much street/strip up here...

Ah, here is his other '68 -

But the memories of "Black Betty"... 351 cleveland full roller motor, dual Weiand high Rise and 750 Holleys, Headers dumping into Flowmaster weedburners, C6 with (cant remember the rear end gearing?...) 9 inch rear...oh the sweet noise that would make!?!?!
she was a mean little mofo....

AH, but i digress....
Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

We got a little snow up near Donner Summit...Just enough to make a little trail time extra fun. Couldnt get the camera to work for some good pix...next time. But She handled well enough for what we will be using her for so all is good!

BONUS! - Went by a friends house who gave us a Honda 3500 generator free ninety free! (May just need a little work)

While leaving we came across an old 'camp' and found two treasures - a spare tire/rim with a Toyota bolt pattern (Sweet, needed a rim for a spare!) and a great condition OE skid plate.

Seeing as I already have a skid plate, I figure i will offer it up to the karma gods of the yotatech site in pre-payment for all the advice that i will receive from you all...So if anyone wants a skid plate, let me know. It's all yours for shipping. I dont think i have enough posts yet for the classifieds so i'll stick it there once i reach the limits!

More wrenching and installs once the weather starts to clear as the garage is still packed from the move........

Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Pete, nice on the fine. I like the zombie safety removal tool in the back of the Toyota (axe)...lol
Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Pete, nice on the fine. I like the zombie safety removal tool in the back of the Toyota (axe)...lol
Oh yeah, found that too along with the rim and plate.
Was a good day!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Yea, I got one in the F-350 with a chain saw you never know if you will need it, but it's there if you do.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM

So we finally got some snow up over the pass. Found some nice fire roads and went exploring for a few miles.
It was a good day...didnt have to use my axe on no zombies...
Stuck once, had to dig out after plowing the front down a hill and into a ditch.
Then blew up the compressor with one tire left to re-fill.

Got home and figured the winch would be nice to have for next weeks adventure.

Started a spray on the bumper -

'BEFORE' PIC - (Does anyone know what bolt size is needed for the front winch plate mount onto the square bar between the stock bumper and the skid plate?..On this picture, i am talking about the two small threaded holes just to the left of the bottom corner of the license plate)

'AFTER' will be coming.....
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM

During:

No big issues, fairly easy mod. (i know, not as exciting as a full build off road rig)

Got some help from an unlikely friend.

All good and first trip through the Sierra's without incident.
AFTER:

Next project paint and roof rack if weather stays nice!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM

Pretty bumper, me like
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM

Got it from Low Range out of Utah...good price too
Needed a little OOMPH to get her on by myself but she's on and working.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Good lookin' lady pistol... thank her for her service on behalf of all of us here at YT...

the 3.0s have a bad rep but it's undeserved... as long as you take care of them they are fine... if Toyota service records can't say if the head gasket recall was done then they should do it for you... there is also a recall on the steering center link that may be outstanding get it checked...

I'm not a fan of the tube/stinger bumpers either but if it floats your boat...

I have the same floor mats for my money they are the best you can get... almost nothing gets around them they fit so well...

welcome to the family

Quick Reply: Pistol_Pete's '91 Runner (for the misses) Build-Up WITH LOTS O' FUN PIX!