86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
What year is that? '86?

Fink
it's an 87, when i bought it, i did not know much about the toyota world, i just got a great deal on it, so i didn't know i should have bought the 85 efi next to it instead , but it does have an 86 tan sr5 interior
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved to the Build-Up section.

Fink
Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
well, i am a slacker and don't update as much as need, but i think i am going to turn this into a build thread i guess. I am getting ready to lay down the money for a bunch of new motor parts and would like opinions on some things from you fine folks on yota tech.
here is a list of where i am starting at.

getting a bare used block, having it machined and bore over .20
engine builder prostreet head with the 261c crawler cam
lc adjustable cam gear
lc crank
lc header kit
going to send the injectors to witch hunter for an overhaul
and i am going to order the main build componets from ted at engine builder as well.

i am kind of stuck on what to do for connecting rods. is there a place to get new ones that anyone would reccomend, i know i can use the stock ones or get reconditioned ones but i am trying to take my time with this build and am trying to keep the down time on my runner as little as possible (i am lost with out it lol) If recons. are my best bet, reccomendations on where to purchase them? i have seen a few places on line but nothing i am familiar with. Input is greatly appreciated and i will try and be a little better with the pics on the motor build

What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? If you plan on doing mostly mud bogging then I would say you're on the right track. But if you plan on mostly trailing or rock crawling I would suggest you use the money for suspension and traction upgrades. This of course is my opinion... I've spent bulla money on horse power "gains" but it didn't help me at all in the trail until I upgraded the suspension....and then I put a rear locker.... it's like driving another vehicle... it just makes a world of a difference. I've seen so many stock motors go everywhere because of the traction they had. Good luck on your build!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4runr
What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? If you plan on doing mostly mud bogging then I would say you're on the right track. But if you plan on mostly trailing or rock crawling I would suggest you use the money for suspension and traction upgrades. This of course is my opinion... I've spent bulla money on horse power "gains" but it didn't help me at all in the trail until I upgraded the suspension....and then I put a rear locker.... it's like driving another vehicle... it just makes a world of a difference. I've seen so many stock motors go everywhere because of the traction they had. Good luck on your build!

I don't plan on a lot of mud, more of crawling and overland type stuff, and i agree with you on the lockers and gearing, however, i have a 22re with 250000, that is getting a little tired, and instead of a stock quick swap i want to build something a little beefier. I am going to attack the lockers and the sas and gears in one swoop, i guess i just have a problem with wanting to do everything at once. I am going to take my time with the build as my runner is up and running, but i want to have the motor ready to put in when i go to bigger tires and get gears ect.

Thanks for the insight, truly appreciated
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey nice truck!!

I like the work on the bed too - Herculining is on my to do list and I want to replace my plastic bed siding with something like you have (diamond plates, lockable).

Do you have any info/pics you can share on the sides you installed?

The LCE Header is a great upgrade - love mine
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Lookin forward to this one, keep up the excellent work
Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Hey nice truck!!

I like the work on the bed too - Herculining is on my to do list and I want to replace my plastic bed siding with something like you have (diamond plates, lockable).

Thanks for the compliments! As for the bed sides, it was pretty easy for the most part, i bought a 4x8 pieces of the alum. diamond plate since it was long enough to run the lengh of the bed and tall enough as well. I then used the stock panels and just outlined it on the diamond plate panel (keep in mind that you want to cut on the same edge, so you have a straight edge toward the top of the bed and the side you cut towards the floor) and then cut it out with a jig saw using a metal cutting blade. The jig saw tore right through the diamond plate i choose to keep the entire length of the panels in one rather then the 2 like they are from the factory. After it was all cut out i cleaned up the edges and rough fit them in place. when i got to the point where i thought they looked the best, i drilled out holes on the stock "framing" of the truck bed, and used aluminum rivets to hold them in place. The lockable doors are just a square that is 1" larger then the whole i cut out. I then bought some standard hinge stock and locks and riveted it all together.

I like the way it turned out, but if someone really wanted to get into those doors it would not take much to just bend them since it is aluminum, but its a little more of a PIA

this is just a quick run down of what i did, i will try and get some pics for ya in the next day or so, and if i can help ya out with any questions, post up or shoot me a pm!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by graduatedpine
Lookin forward to this one, keep up the excellent work

Thanks! i will try and keep it up to date
Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
Thanks for the compliments! As for the bed sides, it was pretty easy for the most part, i bought a 4x8 pieces of the alum. diamond plate since it was long enough to run the lengh of the bed and tall enough as well. I then used the stock panels and just outlined it on the diamond plate panel (keep in mind that you want to cut on the same edge, so you have a straight edge toward the top of the bed and the side you cut towards the floor) and then cut it out with a jig saw using a metal cutting blade. The jig saw tore right through the diamond plate i choose to keep the entire length of the panels in one rather then the 2 like they are from the factory. After it was all cut out i cleaned up the edges and rough fit them in place. when i got to the point where i thought they looked the best, i drilled out holes on the stock "framing" of the truck bed, and used aluminum rivets to hold them in place. The lockable doors are just a square that is 1" larger then the whole i cut out. I then bought some standard hinge stock and locks and riveted it all together.

I like the way it turned out, but if someone really wanted to get into those doors it would not take much to just bend them since it is aluminum, but its a little more of a PIA

this is just a quick run down of what i did, i will try and get some pics for ya in the next day or so, and if i can help ya out with any questions, post up or shoot me a pm!
Wow - that sounds easier than I thought, thanks!

I have a 4.5" cutoff tool/angle grinder so I may try this soon. Maybe a dumb question but, where would one get diamodn plate or something similar? Does Home Depot sell that in sizes that large?

How did you addres the curved part that leads into the tailgate opening - did you bend it?

Last edited by Philbert; 03-18-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: forgot to ask a question
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Wow - that sounds easier than I thought, thanks!

I have a 4.5" cutoff tool/angle grinder so I may try this soon. Maybe a dumb question but, where would one get diamodn plate or something similar? Does Home Depot sell that in sizes that large?

How did you addres the curved part that leads into the tailgate opening - did you bend it?

you should be able to pick up a sheet at any metal supply shop, i am not sure if home depot would have it, but if they do it will be a pretty penny! If you know of a place that does metal recycling, they should have/be able to point you to a shop that sells it.

The tailgate curve was bent, simply by taking the handle out of a floor jack, lay the sheet of aluminum flat on a work bench and use a vice grips or some sort of clamp to hold the floor jack handle where you want the bend, then just "fold" the long end of the aluminum up to create your 90 degree bend. On mine, it works great, not so form fitting to the top of the tailgate corner but it looks clean,

still working on getting those pics for ya, i will try and get them up tonight, sorry for the delay!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM

Hey nice truck!!

Philbert,

I got pictures for you but my computer is being a pita, it should be good to go today, i am still working on getting those pics up for ya.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:34 AM

just a quick update, i am going to look at a short block today, guy said he would have it torn down on monday, didn't happen, so he said today it will be done, if all goes well, it will be picked up and taken straight to the machine shop for:

tanking/magnaflux
bore .20 over
and if it needs it some resurfacing.
pic will be up tonight if the block is in decent shape and i buy it.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Can't wait for the photos of ALL of those things!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Can't wait for the photos of ALL of those things!

Still having issues trying to post pics, i dont host on photobucket or anything like that, just on y/t but for some reason it wont let me do it, says i am missing security token. i did pm Corey and am waiting see what he suggest, but the photos are on my computer
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Update:

Got a good short block yesterday with oil pan, pick up tube, block (duh) crank, rods, pistons ect. Droped it off at the machine shop for all the clean up and balancing and decking if needed. I am having the machine shop order a master rebuild kit for it but me and a buddy will be building it ourselves. I am however having the machine shop connect the rods to the pistons, so they can mic the rod bearings as needed. I forgot the camera when i picked up the block so no pics of the before, but i will have some when i get it back before paint and build starts!

Last edited by OrRunner; 03-25-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM

looks good so far my plans all head in the direction, its nice to see the finished product befor I ever start lol.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
looks good so far my plans all head in the direction, its nice to see the finished product befor I ever start lol.

Thanks man, i wish it was finished, working on the motor getting a new motor built now, then I go to the sas/gears/lockers and bigger tires
Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Well i got my synthetic rope on the winch yesterday, and now i am waiting for my winch isolator block from daystar, i think i am going to run a d-ring off of the winch cable instead of a hook so i can just pull in tight and let the dring rest on the isolator. i will carry the hook in my recovery bag, but prefer the look of the dring.

I am still waiting on the call from the machine shop, i suppose it could be a week or two, just waiting to hear back from Corey to see if there is problems with uploading pics, when i find out, i will get some pics up
Old 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM

finally got the pics to load, my bad, file size was way to big, so here is some quick pics:

diamond plate

this is the back corner someone asked about,

Warn 8000 winch:

had a little fun in the snow:

next up...pics of the motor, when i get it back from the machine shop!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the photos of the diamond plate -looks great!

It was me who asked about the corners

Seems like you used 2 pieces of plate (one black on the bottom part) for each side - can I ask why you did it that way? Is that bottom part of the D plate covered in herculiner or something?

Truck looks at home in the snow

Thanks again for the pics!

Quick Reply: OrRunner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread