86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Here is the 4runner I picked up off of craigslist:
NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-01010901030301040020080905d4a0570a03b7e2301a0095ef.jpg

NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-010106010302010412200809055f16e434ed6990bbd700e010.jpg

NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-010202010308011602200809052c2ed1ef2c8c1e525600b8be.jpg

1994 5-speed with the 3.slow, 4x4 IFS. Came with 2" ball joint spacers up front and 2" OME HD lift springs in the rear and rancho shocks. Not to mention a magnaflow exhaust (well, it looks like a custom bent jobber with a magnaflow muffler - I probably am going to have to redo part of it for a spare tire - but more on that later). The previous owner also had the genius idea of putting crap PVC piping in place of part of the intake, so thats gotta be swapped out... The way it was set up forces the valve cover breather hose to bend before getting to the intake. I got a longer hose and put a few hose clamps in the middle area to keep it from bending, but thats just a band-aid. I just purchased a S&B intake, which got here incomplete, so I'm waiting on the last few pieces for that. The intake looks great, but I'm not planning on putting this truck in the middle of a river, so I dont need a snorkel. I also don't have any SAS plans for this truck for east coast trails that require solid axles, I have a K5 blazer back home on NY for that. I'm out here in southern california and I plan on putting the total chaos gen II caddy kit on the front end. In the short term I'm planning on retrofitting a 90-91 front bumper and tire carrier to my truck, the bumper on mine is in pretty rough shape and I want to remove the lower half of the bumper for clearance sooner rather than later. also coming up is an order to sonoran steal for their bumper insert and bulletproof IFS brace. If this sucker is getting air, their brace is a must. When I finally gather all the coin for doing the total chaos kit, I'll also be doing a rear axle swap for a Rock Assault rear housing because its a clean slate from which to build a suspension and I can order an axle 2" wider (to match the longer T100 axles the TC front end uses) and ready to accept the toyota electric locker I'm trolling the internet for. More to come!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 10-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM

Question spare tire:

I have an under-bed tire on my 'runner. I wanted to know if I can fit a 33" tire under there. I have a 31x10.5r15 under there now. 33x12.5 if possible, but I'd be willing to get an off-sized spare to get me off the trail, like a 33x10.5. It looks to me like it should all fit. my 'custom' exhaust looks like its less than an inch from my spare as it is. I was going to do the retrofit for the stock 90-91 swing out carrier anyway, so if it wont fit its not the end of the world, I'll just have a spot to relocate my stupidly placed gas tank. If it WILL fit, I'll have my welder buddy fab up some mounts onto the stock carrier for my hi-lift jack and a pair of jerry cans, depending on weight limits and keep the spare under the butt of my runner. Also, has anyone done the rear swing out conversion? Do I need the old tailgate as well? Where is the locking latch?

I also have a pair of stupid electrical gremlins that are chapping my ass. I did just get the 1994 factory repair manuals, and I am in the process of looking into both issues, one being my temp gauge only working very intermittently, and the other being my reverse lights wont light up. I suppose the reverse light could be the switch (in the transmission shift assembly?) or a fuse. I checked the bulbs already. The temp gauge doesnt work 90% of the time and then every now and again it jumps up to the normal temp range. I assume thats a lose electrical connection somewhere, because I would think if the gauge itself is shot it wouldnt work at all. I also figure the same about the temp sending unit - if its shot its shot. Both of these things arent too serious, but if anyone has had the same problems and fixed them, let me know. With these toys it seems if I'll have the problem 1000 other people on yotatech have already had the same one.

Happy wheelin!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 10-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 PM

'lectrical gremlin 1: toast! My valve cover gasket was leaking, so when the mechanic pulled the intake manifold to do the job, I had him replace the silly little temperature sending unit. Damn thing is about the size of a piece of the internals of a clicking pen, but proved to be the weak link in the most important gauge on my cluster! I recommend that if you take the intake manifold off for ANY reason, replace this little $40 bugger before it gets a chance to leave you stranded from an overheat you shoulda seen coming!

Last edited by NYChopshop; 10-27-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:02 PM

swing out

Yeah, you'll need the whole tailgate for the swing out. As well as the reinforced 1/4 panels. The latch is on the swinging arm itself it's a pull type thing. I can take some pictures for you if you like (during the day). You can easily mount a high lift on your carrier but as for the gas cans;they may block your reverse lights
Old 11-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Dont care bout the tails

I dont care in the least about blocking those reverse lights. I am looking at a set of tail lights from ebay.co.uk (even though they are like $130 shipped) for the 'hilux surf' of the same year that have reverse lamps built in, so I'd be moving the lights (or splicing in and upping the fuse) anyway. I'm not entirely sure about the swing out tire carrier conversion anymore, because I realized that it wont fit with the marlin crawler rear bumper I fully intend to purchase and install. I'll probably just man up and cough up the money to have someone fab up a can carrier and weld it to that bumper when I get it.
Attached Thumbnails NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-tail-light.jpg  

Last edited by NYChopshop; 11-08-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding image and correcting typo
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM

pics with new tires

got my xterrains and intake installed. woo hoo.
Attached Thumbnails NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-ximg_4159.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-ximg_4171.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-ximg_4178.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sweet rig!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Intake install 1/2

The install for this was a little bit of a pain because of the air flow sensor. I had to tear out the intake (previous owner had put a cheapo pvc pipe between the MAF sensor and the intake manifold doing all of nothing for the truck) and remove the sensor. I then installed the sensor in the S&B intake box, bolted that in, and replaced all the hoses. Everything I need was installed - okay thats a lie, my box shipped a few parts short, but it SHOULD have. The problem was quickly rectified by the intake company, so no harm no foul. All of the hose extensions and even a zip tie. The best part of this intake is that it removes the stupid restrictive airbox and the matching cold air baffle that directs what little cold air the 3.slow already gets. This intake sounds great. Adds a whole new level of ballsy grunt on the throttle, and I get 3mpg improvement over the stock filthy filter. I got 16, I now get 19. LA traffic ridden highway miles. I can feel some real world horsepower, but I really feel that my truck can actually breathe at highway speed and at RPMs over 3k which felt restricted before. I highly recommend this specific intake to anyone with this engine due to our stupidly designed air flow sensor which must be retained in order to use an intake like this.
Attached Thumbnails NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4163.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4165.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4166.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM

S&B intake install 2/2

More pics of the installed intake
Attached Thumbnails NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4168.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4169.jpg   NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4170.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 PM

parts ripped out during install

This is the idiot tube made of pvc the previous owner seemed to think would improve performance by a billion times im sure. Also removed was the stupid OEM baffle that restricts the air going in to the nice fat new intake hole in the S&B airbox. The S&B filter is an oiled element but unlike K&N's elemets, its has a very fine particulate filtering capability. The problem with K&Ns are that the filters allow big chunks of dust etc into the combustion chamber, damaging everything moving, especially things like piston rings. S&B explains all about the particle filtering as well as providing downloadable pdf files with the installation instructions. Good thing too, as they dont include instructions with their kits!

http://www.sbfilters.com/

EDIT: Over the last better part of a year I have learned that my so-called 'idiot intake' was the ISR mod. It seemed pretty crappy to me at the time, but seeing the resonator box that was there from the factory, I assume it did a world of good. I can now say, however, that the S&B intake rocks the ISR mod in just about every way but price!
Attached Thumbnails NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread-wimg_4185.jpg  

Last edited by NYChopshop; 08-29-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM

marlin rear bumper hack

I'm thinking about hacking one side of a marlin crawler rear bumper in order to fit my 4runner and still do the OEM swing-out tire carrier mount. Any opinions?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That S&B Kit is $200 though...is it worth it when I could spend a little more and buy headers or something really worthy of HP upgrades?

It literally just looks like it plugs into the stock intake you are only replacing the box/elbow piece and the actual filter box.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 11-21-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by NYChopshop
I have an under-bed tire on my 'runner. I wanted to know if I can fit a 33" tire under there. I have a 31x10.5r15 under there now. 33x12.5 if possible, but I'd be willing to get an off-sized spare to get me off the trail, like a 33x10.5. It looks to me like it should all fit.
Do a quick search on here to get the very technical answer but basically....

33X12.5 will rub
33X10.5 will fit and not rub

Depending on the gearing the truck came with (check your door jam) possible recommendation of re-gearing.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM

He was talking if a 33" tire would fit under the Runner, BoostinChicky. Ya know,where his spare tire is...... lol
Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 PM

response

In regards to the air filter, I'd say that because of the considerations of the cold air routing, the hose rerouting, and the way the 3.0l air flow sensor is designed, its totally worth the money in my opinion. I have a magnaflow-based exhaust (sure aint mandrel bent, but it works and sounds alright) that came with my truck, but nothing has given me more real-world-skinny-pedal feel than the intake. It really gives more power - in my particular instance - in the mid-range of RPM, from 2-5k ish, I don't quite remember without seeing the tach in front of me. It also sounds great, not too loud but it deepens the whole shebang! From a 'hmmmmmmmmm' to a 'whooaaaaaaaaaa'. Also, with your catback exhaust this really should help your truck in particular feel and sound better. I dont have a ton of disposable income (why else would a $2000 vehicle be my daily driver?) but I would buy this intake again at $185 shipped any day of the week and twice on sunday. I also have to pass california emissions. My buddy who lives in philly has a 5.0 mustang and tells me about how lax it can be on smog out there, but putting headers on my engine would cost a bunch, take more time, probably effect more greatly my smog emissions than the intake, and so far as I understand, not necessarily correct one of the more severe weakpoints of the vehicle. The 3.0 can be harmed more than helped by dropping the backpressure in the exhaust too low, and my cat-back (maybe even a hi-flow cat, its new... I cant tell) exhaust does a good enough job at helping the engine breathe on the back end.

I should also add that the best parts of the intake are what they remove or eliminate vs what they add. They do give you a larger surface area of air filter because of the shape, but they also eliminate the front air baffle (the stupid 3" hole all the air has to come through to get into the airbox!?) and the matching hole on the airbox, and the stupid secondary filter for the breather hose is also gone. The air horn is upgraded because it needed to be, but the stock accordion piece that goes from the throttle body to the air horn is as good as it needs to be and isnt a weakpoint of the system. The real part that they can't fix is the fact that the air flow sensor is a stupidly small and restrictive size. The air intake has been designed around making the system work as well as possible with that piece.

All I can really tell you about the intake that can really speak for the effects is my opinion on the real world feel, and my gas mileage improvement. The 2-3 mpg on the highway will buy back the intake in shorter and shorter order every day. When I got my RPMs over 2k before I did the intake, my truck felt held back, really like it was restricted somewhere. It had me worried that there was a problem. I'm sure my dirty paper filter didnt help the situation, but when I went from fairly dirty paper to the new intake, that problem and sensation totally went away.

Also, I just got spanking new 31s for the meantime, I cant bare upping the tire size without regearing. When that time finally comes, I'll probably go 33x10.5. I recently checked my doorjamb and the sticker didnt have 31x10.5r15 as my tire size, so I feel like mine came with the 4-spares option, but my spare is a 31 and looks stock. What do I know. I'll check with my toyota dealer when I make sure my truck isnt still effected by the steering shaft recall and see what my gear ratio was from the factory.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 11-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Makes sense thanks for the clarification. I checked the instructions .pdf here:
http://www.sbfilters.com/pdf/install...06%20REV-B.pdf

This explains a lot of my questions about the install. The only thing that would be different in my case are the two OE vac lines, the one to the pair reed valve. Since my EGR is blocked off I just capped it. My guess is I would just not put the 90 degree barb in (shown in step 16)?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Makes sense thanks for the clarification. I checked the instructions .pdf here:
http://www.sbfilters.com/pdf/install...06%20REV-B.pdf

This explains a lot of my questions about the install. The only thing that would be different in my case are the two OE vac lines, the one to the pair reed valve. Since my EGR is blocked off I just capped it. My guess is I would just not put the 90 degree barb in (shown in step 16)?
I'd either block off the elbow (under the air flow sensor behind the filter, right?) or use it to run a breather hose to like the axle or somesuch. Put the barb in for sure, from there you can just cap it or run something else to it. Since the airbox is plastic, I wouldnt want to damage it putting in something like a metal bolt to block the hole in case its not the same thread pattern. Plus, you never know when you're going to add another widget or gizmo under your hood that needs a breather!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Shift knob

I got myself a genuine toyota shift knob. My old crappo stock one was ratty and torn.

The leather had apparently begun to decompose and felt weird to hold on to for long periods of time.

So I got myself the TRD one, and couldnt be happier! Screwed right on!

It's a bit heavier than the stock knob, and I feel a very slight difference in the firmness of the shifting. Hell, I just like the way it feels!

Same shift pattern as any 4runner I've ever seen.

Bright california sun light makes the shiny black leather look more like the plastic gray transfer case knob (which will be swapped out when the transfer case is divorced).

Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whered you get that knob? From the dealer? How much was it? It looks great.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
whered you get that knob? From the dealer? How much was it? It looks great.
Its toyota part #PTR04-00000-05
It comes on everything, even a factory option on the scion! (leaves vague possibility of a junkyard find)
MSRP $75 or so, I got mine on ebay for $70 shipped. You can find it anywhere, just look for TRD shift knob. My buddy was looking for a used scion Xb as a city car and hes a computer-mowron so I was helping him. I came across one with the exact shift knob on it a few years old and the leather on the knob had been damaged on the top right portion. When I contacted the seller about the car I found out it was a girl, and as my girlfriend wears many rings on her fingers that wind up taking chunks out of me on occasion, I asked her if she drives the car with rings on her hands. She said she never thought about it but wears a lot of rings. I suppose that wouldn't be much of a problem for the majority of yotatech members, even the girlie ones - we're too busy gettin our hands muddy and oily to adorn them with precious trinkets! Imagine grounding out your battery via a wedding ring. ouch. Anyway, I digress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NYChopshop's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread