86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all looking great nmtoy, always gets exciting getting new parts, dome light cover looks good, and all the other new parts. I got new turning signal lense today from dealer, Right side was weathered, left side looked fairly new, now both look good on bullbar.

Keep up the great work, I look forward for more!!!! :}
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You are moving right along on this truck. Every repair just makes it that much more enjoyable to drive. Looking good.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM

So my truck has been running well but my temp guage never got very warm and my heater didn't get very hot.

The throttle body fixed the fluctuating idle but it still wasn't perfect. I started thinking about the thermostat. I bought one from Toyota about a month ago and it's been sitting in the garage.

Today I decided to install the new thermostat and when I took it apart here is what I found...

Why would someone put that back in? I don't get it.

So in went my Toyota thermostat and some new radiator hoses from Napa. I filled the system, drove it up on my ramps and bled the system with the heater on and the cap off until the bubbles stopped.

My temp guage now sits right where it should and the idle is at 800 rpms.

My steering box has a pretty good leak. I think I am going to replace it with a remanned one. I priced a seal kit and after looking at the FSM a rebuilt seems like a better way to go.

Last edited by nmtoy; 11-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 PM

well I assume the thermostat went bad, and they didn't have or couldn't get a new one and didn't need heat so to be able to use the rubber seal in the housing so it would seal right and not leak the PO cut the outside off and put it back together, it worked it didn't leak!!!! Did you get a dual thermostat from dealer?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Another reason for them not replacing the thermostat is if it was overheating. Doesnt look like that is your problem, but by doing what they did, it keeps the water circulating and can stop overheating. The downside is that the water can never sit in the radiator and never get cooled down.

If you was to experience some over heating, more then likely your radiator just needs a good flushing. I take mine out and the radiator shop I use charges $25 to power flush it. These have alot of build up in that a Preston kit wont get loose. I freaked out the first time I had mine done. I had flushed it myself and the junk that came out was surprising.

I was looking at your previous pics and seen you still wanted to clean your carpet. That is another surprise in the making. If you have 1 or 2 hot days for your carpet to dry, take it out and go to the carwash with it. It isnt to hard to pullout. The junk that will come out and the amount of sand that a regular vacuum just cant get out.

You are doing a great job on the truck.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:52 AM

I understand why they took out the thermostat. I am just irritated that they did the cheap "fix"

I have been a bicycle mechanic for the last 25 years and work on alot of very high end bikes. I find it easier to do things right the first time.

I now have a completely new cooling system, radiator, Toyota 180 degree themostat, hoses, coolant and the truck runs like it's supposed to. I have installed a new radiator in every toyota I've ever owned, it's just cheap insurance.

the wife and I drove the truck to work in Santa Fe yesterday, 160 mile round trip and it did great. The temp guage sits where it should.

My wife told me she will be taking over the truck now. Her first new car was an 87 SR5 singlecab 4wd so she loves old Toys.

Terry, I will probably get new carpet in the spring when I repaint the interior panels. It's getting to cold now for that sort of thing.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Wow, it's been a really long time since I have updated this. Until recently I have not done much work on the the truck. My wife killed our commuter car in Nov of 11 so the truck was our commuter for the first half or 2012.

I bought the truck with 197,000 miles and it just turned 210,000 and it is still running great. I bought my wife a new commuter in June so now I can have my truck back.

I installed ball joint spacers from 4Crawler a few weeks ago after deciding the front of my truck was too low. I backed my torsion bars way off so I got about 1 inch of lift and a better ride.

I found some used 15x8 Outlaw 2 wheels with 4 inch backspace on craigslist for cheap. I didn't want to have to cut on my control arms to clear the tires on the stock wheels. Eventually I will do 33x10.50 and use the stock alloys again.

My throwout bearing was starting to make noise so I replaced my clutch and flywheel with a Marlin Crawler HD clutch last week. I also installed new input shaft and output seals, a new Marlin T case shifter seat and new shifter and T case shifter boots as well. I also replaced the rear main seal with a new one from Toyota.

The install took me a couple of days working by myself and doing lots of cleaning. I am super happy with the new clutch, it works perfectly and the pedal pressure is very light. The truck used to make a noise on take off and I thought it might be the trans but it was the throwout bearing. This is my second Marlin HD clutch and I would highly recommend them.

I ordered a 1" bodylift from 4Crawler this week. My plan is to eventually swap in a 3.4 so I will do the bodylift now. I want to build bumpers and sliders so the bodylift needs to be in place first.

I will get some new pics up next week. I am happy to be working on the truck again!

Last edited by nmtoy; 10-11-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is has been awhile since you posted. I came across an 85 Extra cab awhile back and seeing pics of yours, I can see the potential in mine. I am planning on starting on it this winter and your pictures didnt help with me wanting to hold off on it til then. Welcome back and hope all goes well.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just went thru your thread again looking at your interior for ideas and seen you had removed your rear bumper. From what I am understanding, your rear bumper is one that is no longer available and just sold mine in the exact same condition with the same missing right cap as yours and nearly the same dent on the same side. Just struck me funny at how similar that they are.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM

My 1" 4crawler bodylift came the other day so I installed it yesterday. I also got new Energy suspension bodymount bushings. The truck feels more solid and rides better after replacing the 24 year old rubber bushings

I don't have many pics before the body lift and BJ spacers but here is how it looks now.

I took alot of time to get the front bumper adjusted to the body lift. Roger brown makes nice stuff, everything fit really well.

I also spent some time on the shift boot I got last year. I used the frame from the original shift boot and glued the new boot to it. It fits alot better now.

I took the bedliner out yesterday. I think it has been on the truck for 24 years. This is the cleanest 2nd gen Toyota bed I have ever seen.

Last edited by nmtoy; 10-11-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Terry, I saw your 85 in your 88 pictures, very nice.

My rear bumper was pretty much junk.

My plan is to make a 2x4 rear bumper for the rear and a front bumper similar to the Front range offroad plate bumper.

I haven't used my welder for a few years so eventually I will fire it up again.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Happy new year!

Well once again I haven't been here much lately. I have too many other hobbies that want my time and money.

I did buy some 33x10.50 BFG AT's a couple of months ago. I wanted to put the stock rims back on the truck and get rid of the fender flares. Now I need to find some G144 4.88 thirds to make it happy on the highway again.

Pics are from todays trip up the backside of Sandia peak. I pulled out 2 stuck trucks on the way up...

With the 31's.

I got some Marlin Crawler gift cards for Xmas so eventually I will get the new short shifter they make.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice build so far!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:11 AM

I visit Yotatech pretty often but don't post a lot. It's time to update my build.

Mileage on the truck is now at 224,000, 9000 miles since the last update.

I drive the truck all the time including many 130 mile commuting days to Santa Fe and it's been super reliable.

I'm sorry I don't have many pictures of my most recent improvements...

I got some gift certificates from Marlin crawler for Xmas last year so I got a short throw shifter.
Name:  20140122_143504_zpsf59b0e89.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  20140122_145502_zpscb211f70.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  32.3 KB

I am very happy with the shifter. Throws are short and engagement is very positive.

I added a Boss 8" powered sub under the rear package tray.

I also rebuilt my starter. The contact was worn down to almost nothing.

The brake pedal had started to get pretty low so it was time for new brakes.

I installed:
Centric Powder coated drums and rotors.
Raybestos ceramic pads and shoes.
Napa rear slave cylinders.
All new hardware.
New rubber hoses front and rear.

I also installed new front wheel bearings and seals.

I spent a couple of days on the install. I had a friend come over to help me bleed them and now they work great.

I thought it was time for new motor and trans mounts and I was right. The old ones were pretty worn out. I had to buy a 1/2" ratchet with a flex head and long handle to get to the motor mount bolts...

My truck had some vibration at startup and what seemed like a rough idle. the new mounts cured all of that and it drives really well now. It also shifts better.

The mounts and most of the brake parts came from Rockauto.

When it warms up again I need to redo my AC and build a new exhaust. I still need to get some 4.88 thirds but the truck still does pretty well on the freeway.

Eventual plans are for a 3.4 but that will be a while. I have really regretted selling my 4runner and my 90 extracab so I will be keeping this one.

Last edited by nmtoy; 12-05-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Cant believe how good the bed is in your truck. Has to be one of the cleanest ones I have ever seen. Truck is looking great.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:32 AM

Thanks Terry.

The truck was originally bought in New jersey and then the guy moved to Phoenix where it lived until I bought it.

From your many threads it looks like you must spend all of your free time working on Toys. Thanks for posting all of the repair info!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Hello again Yotatech. I have been gone for the last 3 years but I still have my truck.

The mods to the truck stopped about the time of my last post but the truck kept going until about a year ago. I experienced the dreaded 3.0 blown headgasket. The truck sat in the driveway for the last year until I got motivated to get it going again.

I pulled the motor in may and it sat in the garage on an engine stand until a few weeks ago. I pulled the heads and found that #1 was blown. I bought a Toyota headgasket kit and put it back together and back in the truck last weekend. I had it running by Sunday night. I got and emission test and got it registered yesterday.

It's nice to have it back!

I still see some familiar names since I have been lurking around for the last few weeks. I need to replace my heater control unit since it broke the other day.

I need to start using the mobile app so I can post pictures again. I am still wanting to do a 3.4 swap. Now that I have the truck back I can start gathering parts.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:07 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
You have a very clean Toyota.
The 33x10.5're the best looking tires for these trucks IMO
Old 08-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
New Owner of the '88 SR5

Hey guys. Steve here I just bought NMtoys 88 SR5.
Going to keep the thread alive and keep updating on the little things I do to improve her. Took the dash apart and put the new thermostat controls in. That was fun 🤪 broke a couple of the AC vents while doing so. Ordered them from eBay along with a new dash cover to replace the cracked original. New windshield went in on Friday 8/17/19. I can see clearly now!!

New windshield!
Me and a buddy's '84 FJ 60
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Nice!

This thread has not been updated in a while!

Thanks for sharing and I will be following along.

Quick Reply: nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread