86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

I found this truck on Craigslist in Phoenix last week. I flew in and bought it on Saturday and drove it home the same day.

The truck is an 88 Extracab 4WD Deluxe, V6, 5 speed, Cold AC, Sunroof.
The body is very clean, it has some small dings but no big dents and is completely rust free.

The interior is really nice, the seats are perfect. It had seatcovers most of it's life. The console cover and shift boots are worn out but I am having new ones made out of leather.

This is my old 4runner, check out the sweet console cover in this one.

The motor just got the top end rebuilt. It's hard to say if they did a good job or not but it pulls well for a 3.0. There is an issue with the idle fluctuating when it's cold but I will sort that out.

My plan is to build the truck to do some mild wheeling and be fun to drive.

My build list is:
33x10.50 BFG AT on the stock alloys
1" 4crawler body lift and poly body mount bushings
Possibly BJ spacers and rear lift springs if I need more tire clearance
OME or Bilstien shocks
New CV axles
New U joints
Pioneer head unit and 4 alpine speakers from my 2wd truck
Grant GT steering wheel from my 2wd
New Duralast gold battery from my 2wd

That should be a good start. I will be sorting small issues before any thing really fun happens.

I ordered CV axles U joints and a new coolant overflow tank last night. I took the console cover to the upholstery shop and tomorrow I will get an emissions test and get it registered.

Here is some junk I pulled off after I got it home.

Here is a pic of my old 4runner, it was sweet but I wanted a truck and more power. This is me and Junkers88 before he got his 4runner.

Last edited by nmtoy; 09-20-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM

Here is a pic of my other toy, 98 Mustang Gt with lots of suspension goodies. Really fun to drive.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
looks good man, nice start...im kinda wishing i had a truck with nice interior...
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM

I got an emissions test and got the truck registered today. Passed emissions with great numbers. I also got my recovered armrest back from the upholstery shop.

I also started on my rear speaker panels.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 PM

I was looking at tires today. I think I am just going to go with 31" tires and a 1" bodylift.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a really clean truck. I'm jealous!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Roger Brown makes awesome body lifts - just FYI.

Fink
Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM

Very awesome truck!!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM

I did alot more work on the truck today. My Marlin crawler shifter bushing and seat came so I installed that. The old seat was completely gone and now my shifter works great. I will eventually have a new shift boot made to match the console cover and repaint the console and interior panels.

I am going to sell my 92 2wd truck so I started getting that ready. I pulled out the CD player, 4 speakers and the wiring to swap over to the 88.

I had made custom panels to fit 6 1/2" in speakers in the rear cubbys. The 92 cubbys are much bigger than the holes in the back of the 88. I cut down the custom panels and mounted them in the 88 along with running the rear speaker wiring to the dash.

I went to the the junkyard and got a wiper arm to replace the missing passenger side arm. I painted both arms and got some new Rain X wipers.

The Michelin tires that were on the truck were done. Lots of vibration on the drive home from Phoenix. I had planned to do 33x10.50 BFG AT but after thinking about how I plan to use this truck I changed my mind.

My 86 4runner had 33x10.50 BFG muds, 4.88 gears, BJ spacers, Downey 3" leafs and a 4crawler 1" body lift. It wheeled really well but man was it slow on the highway. I don't want to hassle with redoing the suspension on this one.

33's look great but I plan to do alot of highway driving and The truck has good power for a 3.0. I don't want to have to regear this one for 33's.

I don't really plan to wheel this truck... There I said it!

I have dubbed this truck " The old man truck"

After reading some threads in the tire section I decided on Falken Wildpeak in a 31x10.50. I Bought them at Peerless tire and Like them alot. MY truck is so smooth now...

I still plan to do the " body lift and poly body mount bushings.

I removed the Grant GT steering wheel from the 92 and installed it on the 88.

I had Husky floor liners in the 90 and the 92 so I decided to see if they fit, not perfect but pretty close.

I had a pretty new Duralast Gold battery in the 92 so I swapped it into the 88. 800 cold cranking amps... That is not rust by the battery. At some point there was a leaky battery in this thing. The brown stuff washes off, it just takes some effort.

The windshield washer tank had a big hole in it and the pump doesn't work so I need to find replacements.

What a productive day, I am really tired now.

I am really starting to like this truck!

Last edited by nmtoy; 09-22-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fink
Roger Brown makes awesome body lifts - just FYI.

Fink
I agree, I have been happy with everything I have bought from Roger.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM

very clean truck man nice find
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Seen where you were talking about your shifter boots and Nervo posted this on my thread. Maybe this will help you out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

On my truck, the water pump on the bottle was froze up. I ran a two wire straight from the plug and switched polarities for a couple of seconds at a time from on direction to the other straight to the battery. If you can find a good bottle and bad pump this might work for you. Mine has been working great ever since. It might give you bigger selection on windshield bottles.

You have a great looking truck.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-22-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Nice truck. Good luck with it!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Terry, Thanks for the link. I found one from them in grey and ordered it.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I took my Pioneer headunit and Boston Acoustics 4" front speakers out of the 92 and got them installed.

I connected a USB cable to the back and ran it to the center console.

Yesterday I bought some Procomp ES 3000 shock and an ES2000 steering stabilizer and installed them. I didn't take pics of that.
I also painted the window trim on the passenger side window that had rubbed off.

I had to replace the radiator yesterday as the old on started leaking. I'm glad I made it back from Phoenix without it failing.

I installed new clear corner lights and turn signals.

I took off the winch mount grille guard.

I found a used windshield washer bottle and pump to replaced the broken one it came with.

I will get some new pics up soon.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 PM

I ordered the shift boot that terry gave me the link for but they sent me a console cover instead. I contacted them and hopefully have the right one on the way now.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM

So I was still having problems with the fluctuating idle on my truck. I finally took it to a little Toyota repair shop. They checked it out and told me they thought the throttle body was shot.

Even with the idle screw all the way in it would still run and idle between 1200 and 1700 rpms. I went to a mini truck dismantler to see if I could find a used throttle body, I knew it was a long shot...

I was told " We probably don't have one but if you're willing to dig you can" I was taken to a huge pile of carbs and throttle bodys and turned loose.

The sixth one I looked at looked promising, I took it out and compared it with the one on my truck. Jackpot, the part numbers matched!

I paid $30.00 and went home and spent about and hour cleaning and then switched my TPS and dashpot over and installed it on the truck.

My truck now idles at 800 rpms and runs great! I can't believe I was so lucky.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Hey nmtoy that happened to me too, TB went bad and it would only idle at 2000 RPM's with screw turned all the way down and I went and got a used one off a 92 wreaked truck and made new gasket and put it on and idled at 1500 cold and slowly went down to around 1100 when warm and turned screw down almost 1 turn and now truck idles at 750 RPM's and just purrs and I only paid $30 also, same truck I also got MAFM and full guage cluster, Check out my build thread...
I have a JVC dual USB KD-R900 stereo with USB in front and a cord like what you have routed to the console, but I routed mine to the glove box in my current DD B2300 and when I install it in the toy I'll do the same, I have a bench seat.
How do you like the one you got? I love my JVC and not have to worry about CD's and I have around 1000 songs on both memory sticks ;}

Subscribed!!!!

Last edited by john4wd; 10-12-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice score on the TB. Doesnt happen often enough but when it does, it is nice. Great job.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Hi John4wd,

I was following your idle thread and was encouraged when a new TB fixed your problem.

I like the Pioneer deck pretty well. I have the same head unit in my Mustang and it's nice to have all the controls in the same place in both cars.

I love having my music on the USB sticks, CD's were a pain.

Thanks for the compliment on the 4runner. I put a ton of work into that thing and wish I had kept it.

Hi Terry,

I love it when things go easily. I was looking at your 4runner build the other day. Nice job on the body work. I need to do that to my truck as it has alot of small dings you can't see in the pics.

Where did you get the door seals and do you have the part number for them?

Thanks
Robb

Quick Reply: nmtoys' 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread