86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

my TOYOLET build

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my TOYOLET build

So about a year ago I picked up a 93 cpi 4.3 motor and ecu with plans on swapping it to my toyota in place of the 22re for 2 reasons. one, im a power junkie, two i want to be able to better pull a small/mid size tent trailer for off road trips.
The engine that was in the truck was no sloutch of a 22re- 2.7 stroker built by custom machine usa, with cam, injectors and all the goodies.
Well over the last year i have been gathering various little parts to complete the swap and over the holiday weekend decided it was time to tackle it.
In 3 days I have it about 90% complete and hope to finalize everything by this saturday. Pics to follow starting this evening.

Who else here is running a 92-95 4.3 cpi?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM

nice man! sounds like a good build! subscribed.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM

let me know how it pulls the trailer mine has a time of it with my jayco 10y baja , when fully loaded water food and such it weights in a little over 3200 and even with my 2003 4.3 in was down to 40 going over the pass on the I 15. I WAS THINKING MAYBE I NEED A BIGGER TRUCK
Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by samiam39
let me know how it pulls the trailer mine has a time of it with my jayco 10y baja , when fully loaded water food and such it weights in a little over 3200 and even with my 2003 4.3 in was down to 40 going over the pass on the I 15. I WAS THINKING MAYBE I NEED A BIGGER TRUCK
what is your setup? gearing tire size? etc
Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Well im uploading pics to photo bucket so ill start with a run down.

Truck is an 85 extra cab that started its life as a 2wd. 5 speed
As it sits now it has a custom RUF pack, marlin 5" rears with the 2 little lower leafs pulled, bilstein 5150's all the way around, marlin duals, locked front and rear with a lock-rite up front and detroit no-slip in the rear on 33" mudders

donor rig was a 93 s-10 blazer 2wd with the "W" engine vin

started by stripping the motor down to the long block and replaced all the gaskets, the timing set, fuel spider, changed the oil filter to fit direct to the block

used the AA conversion bell housing, universal mounts, went to a local clutch shop and got a chevy 153 tooth flywheel, a tacoma 3.4 clutch disk, and chevy 10.5" pressure plate

raided a local wrecking for some astro van tube manifolds

picked up a new land cruiser slave from the local dealer

picked up some fuel line, AN fittings and hydrolic line and AN adaptors for the steering

some new toyota a/c lines, and some chevy adaptors for the a/c

summit 150 aluminum radiator, flex fan, and a few different length fan spacers.

a hand full of j and u bends in 2" and 2.5" a 2-1 y collector, and 2-2" v bands kits and 1 2.5" v band kit

i really wish i took more photos but i had my hands full. I pulled this from memmory real quick so ask questions if you want to know something specific.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM

update with photos and quick descriptions on some

packing up to head to the shop.

before swap

22re is out in about 2.5 hours
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM

here is a shot of the fittings used to adapt the toy oil pressure sender for the guage and the extra fitting where we pulled the plug from the water pump to have
a line provision to the heater core
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM

motor is out, stocker mounts cut off, and rails cleaned up for welding

mocking up the mounts. with the conversion mounts centered there was a .25" gap to the frame on each side. we used this to make a plate/gusset that ties into out shock towers. allowed us to drill and tape the plate, and bolt in the mounts to make things easier to service. using grade 8 hardware and the top bolt got a nut on the outside of the plate for good measure.

the extra length of the the engine side mount was removed to clear the frame
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM

engine is in and sitting great. its a little high at the front where the iac valve goes into the intake. but there is a ton of firewall clearence and lots of room in front for the radiator, fan, and acc's

took a moment and test fitted the hood, i do not have a body lift and sure enough it hit a tiny bit on the cross brace. so i flattened it out took the time to re glue the cross brace to the skin and threw some primer on it. i will likely be painting the truck next year.

so my pops went to work mocking up the crossover y pipe i took the time to take care of some small stuff.
cut and reflared the fuel line with an AN adaptor fitting.

cut up the chevy pump carrier and weld the bottom to the toyota carier and wire in the chevy pump
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed. Looks like this will be a great build!
I want to see if you have any troubles with the VSS. I am doing the swap with a 97 CPI and thats the only problem i think i might run into with wiring it.
I have the complete wiring diagram for a 97 CPI, im not sure how different it is from your 93, but let me know if i need to scan it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM

i had grabbed a pair of astro tube manifolds because they are easier to modify and some people said none of the cast manifolds cleared the toy rails. these were not even close.
so we cut the flanges off and bolted them up to see what we had to work with.

drivers side hung over the rail quite a bit and didnt leave alot of room to work with, but a bit of torch and persuasion we made it clear enough to get a decent bend on it then made a little flat spot on the extention to guarentee it cleared.
passenger side had lots of room to work with

Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM

header extentions and y pipe in progress. now both my dad and I cant stand gasketed exhaust flanges since they always seem to leak. so we sprung for v bands on everything.

after quite a bit of trial and cutting and tacking, we got it in with the clamps, made the final tacks, then back out again for my dad to burn it all in. (he is a much better welder than i am.

Last edited by socal85sas; 12-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM

the "pebble crawler" in process

now we used the summit cross flow 2 row radiator that had very similar dimentions to the stocker, just with switched inlets and outlets. only issue was the upper inlet pointed in sharply, so we cut it at a 45* and re welded it to point more out and around the alt.

one cool thing is the donor rig had lots of parts from an astro van with the same motor, for the power steering pump the astro's used a additional resivor but some also had a hydroboost return so we plugged that, got an AN adaptor for the pump and box and plumbed the lines with standard hydrolic hose and AN fittings.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM

This weekend I hope to get some more pics of the rest of the stuff we did as well as pics of the wiring.
if you have questions ask away as i am pullng this from memmory and if you ask about something specific it will be easier to answer.

After this is done its on to the other huge pile of parts i have that need to go in.
winch, bumper, e lockers, ifs rear wide axle, high steer, late model 4x4 steering box (the dinky 2wd box blows!)

I hope to get the motor in work out the kinks and have it reffed for cali smog nazzis soon.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Subscribed. Looks like this will be a great build!
I want to see if you have any troubles with the VSS. I am doing the swap with a 97 CPI and thats the only problem i think i might run into with wiring it.
I have the complete wiring diagram for a 97 CPI, im not sure how different it is from your 93, but let me know if i need to scan it.
i hope I have the vss issues figured out. the cpi motor used a 60 tooth reluctor wheel in the tail shaft of the trans that signal went to the (drac) a digital converter piggy backing the ecu and split the signal to the engine and cluster in the factory truck.
acording to what i have read the ecu is looking for a 2 pulse signal all the other is for the cluster. I used the cable driven 2 pulse vss from jags that run and wired that direct to the ecu speed sensor imput. completly bypassing the drac.
The since i have duals i already have a speedo cable extention i installed the vss between the extention and the factory cable. JTR claims their vss's are carb eo# so hopefully it gets me around the smog police and the engine computer likes the signal.

my main concern is the cpi never came with a manual trans for these years. i hope the smog ref will not mind since it is still just a 4.3 and the tbi motors had manual behind them all the time.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

Thanks thats a big help!
Would you happen to know the symptoms of leaving the vss disconnected?
I would assume erratic idle, but anything else?
The vss has been the hardest thing to figure out about my swap,
Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Thanks thats a big help!
Would you happen to know the symptoms of leaving the vss disconnected?
I would assume erratic idle, but anything else?
The vss has been the hardest thing to figure out about my swap,
With your newer engine you have the big black ecu that was mounted in the engine compartment correct? I am not sure if they also require a 2 pulse or even have a DRAc like mine does. but most likely the ecu will require a 2 pulse sensor/ although it may require a 4 pulse, also available from JTR with fittings that will fit it inbetween the factory cable.

From what I have read some ground out the signal for the speed sensor and have no check light or issues. others have stated problems like; stalling or eradic idle on decel or off throttle situations, lack of egr function, poor fuel economy. and a few other small problems but those are the main ones that seem to be common across several people
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

I stayed up late last night reading up on this and got 5 hours of sleep lol.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what i read about. Although it seemed that alot of people using the CPI had no problems without it. Atleast nothing to keep them from driving it.
I am going to do the swap without it, but i will be adding it soon after, to keep the emissions low and fuel economy high.

Thanks for the help socal, its always nice to have a second opinion

Geat job on the build too. You are really doing it the right way and paying attention to the slightest details. One of the better 4.3 write ups i have read.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM

i had to seach to find the tread. moderator, its cool you moved it, but the truck is an 85, you may want to stick it in the pre 86 section
Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by socal85sas
i had grabbed a pair of astro tube manifolds because they are easier to modify and some people said none of the cast manifolds cleared the toy rails. these were not even close.
so we cut the flanges off and bolted them up to see what we had to work with.
My cast manifolds cleared the toyota frame with no issues. (sorry, only the one pic of the driver side)

Here is the 4.3 Vortec I installed with a carb setup instead of EFI.

Quick Reply: my TOYOLET build