86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Looking to Buy - 85+ 4x4 22RE Engine 100% Factory Ext Cab Truck – Looks & Runs Great

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking to Buy - 85+ 4x4 22RE Engine 100% Factory Ext Cab Truck – Looks & Runs Great

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, which I have been digging and digging through for information, this is one of the best sources I have found yet related to Yota's. Great job.

I'm searching for a very well maintained factory original 85+ 4x4 full loaded 22RE engine extended cab pickup truck.

Not sure what else to say here, I do not know all the year options available with the 22RE engine, from the little I know it's one of the best 4 banger's made and still made it seems. I own a 88 DLX 4x4 with 22 RE

So other than that, I would also like a rust free body, mine is and yet in PA, not sure how that happened, so in other words a almost show truck from the 80's or maybe even 90 idk which models have the 22RE in them? Searching that is not easy, at least not yet.

So now that I asked for the world and and I'm sure I will get slammed for asking for so much on my first post, thanks for any help and direction of where to look, did eBay, Craigslist, Auto Locator and so on, maybe someone here has one they would like to sell.

Also please move this if I have the wrong forum, I can't post in the classified yet, I'm too new

Have a great weekend.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your best bet is going to be to continue to search Craigslist, eBay, and forums until you find something.

Some of us , myself included, have been searching for what you are looking for for a very long time. It's been about since 2006 for me that I have been seriously looking for a clean ex cab 22re.

22re ex cab and 4runner would be able to be found in

85-88 second gen pickup
84-89 1st gen 4runner
89-94 2nd gen 4runner
89-94 3rd gen pickup.

And this should be moved to the classifieds section
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
I think your best bet is going to be to continue to search Craigslist, eBay, and forums until you find something.

Some of us , myself included, have been searching for what you are looking for for a very long time. It's been about since 2006 for me that I have been seriously looking for a clean ex cab 22re.

22re ex cab and 4runner would be able to be found in

85-88 second gen pickup
84-89 1st gen 4runner
89-94 2nd gen 4runner
89-94 3rd gen pickup.

And this should be moved to the classifieds section
Yeah I could be a long search, my current Yota is an 88 but it has a Chevy back end, no AC, some issues, heater is on a toggle switch, odd sounds and yeah, so it's a FrankinYota

But we still love the freak

Thanks for tips...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108/ or search on Craigslist for a while. It took me 6 months to find mine. Just be patient. Those of us on the east coast have a much more difficult time finding Toyota trucks because they're all rusted out.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM

X2 on the rust. I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and EVERYTHING is rusted. Now out in Iowa/Nebraska, stuff is still rusted. Haha. I keep telling my dad to find me a rig where he lives in Moab!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Ok guys, maybe I will get lucky or get ripped off, what are your thoughts on this one? What should I pay? 206K miles timing belt replaced, fully serviced.

Title search is clear...

This truck is fully loaded with power windows / locks / antenna, tilt, cruise, A/C, factory moon roof with sunshade. Seats & dash have always been covered and it shows. Not smoked in, cigarette lighter & ashtray look brand new. Original factory paint that still shines with a great clear coat. The undercarriage has never been repainted. Still have the original spare tire, it was never used. The bed liner was purchased from Toyota and has been in it since new 1986. The truck has never been abused or driven off the road. No leaks of any kind. It drives straight, tight and quiet. Shifts through all the gears easily. 4WD is perfect. Original books, window sticker, purchase order.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM

X2 on the rust. I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and EVERYTHING is rusted. Now out in Iowa/Nebraska, stuff is still rusted. Haha. I keep telling my dad to find me a rig where he lives in Moab!
Yeah rust is a killer on the East, may not been even possible to find a Yota on the East without rust or rare, I have one already, but like I stated it's not 100% Yota, so we call it our FrankinYota / Frank for short =)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM

That one is a beauty and a one owner. Around here and where I'm from that thing could potentially go for 7-8k with the right buyer. Maybe more who knows.

How much are they asking, and how much are you willing to pay
Old 04-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ingenuitor
Ok guys, maybe I will get lucky or get ripped off, what are your thoughts on this one? What should I pay? 206K miles timing belt replaced, fully serviced.
That one looks pretty dang perfect from what you described you wanted. Will you get ripped off? I don't know, I wouldn't go there drooling all over like its you dream truck. Just act like you're looking for any ol' small pickup. Nothing jumps out as bad spots that you could negotiate on price over so be sure to drive and try to find SOMETHING wrong with it, no matter how small. Check all the steering rubber (cv boots, tie rod boots, ball joint boots). Do a compression test. Make sure the engine is cold when you show up and not prewarmed. Ask where its usually parked and look for any leak spots. If the engine looks like it's been cleaned recently the seller may be trying to hide something. Somethings gotta show signs of age.

I always have luck making a low-ball offer with a wad of cash to back it up. Don't be afraid to walk away if they won't agree on a good price. Go grab lunch, come back in an hour and try again. Bring no more cash than the most you would pay.

Whats the asking price?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM

It even has the sunroof cover!!!!! I wish I could find one of those
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM

That one is a beauty and a one owner. Around here and where I'm from that thing could potentially go for 7-8k with the right buyer. Maybe more who knows.

How much are they asking, and how much are you willing to pay
Yeah he is asking 5K, he will not budge, I tried, let me tell you I tried, he says it's worth much more, so maybe I will get lucky then, good price? See I don't know the value, as far as willing to pay, that subject to what it's worth and what comes for the price. It's so hard to say, but 5K is not out of my range. Just don't want to over pay, you know how that goes.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by derockus
That one looks pretty dang perfect from what you described you wanted. Will you get ripped off? I don't know, I wouldn't go there drooling all over like its you dream truck. Just act like you're looking for any ol' small pickup. Nothing jumps out as bad spots that you could negotiate on price over so be sure to drive and try to find SOMETHING wrong with it, no matter how small. Check all the steering rubber (cv boots, tie rod boots, ball joint boots). Do a compression test. Make sure the engine is cold when you show up and not prewarmed. Ask where its usually parked and look for any leak spots. If the engine looks like it's been cleaned recently the seller may be trying to hide something. Somethings gotta show signs of age.

I always have luck making a low-ball offer with a wad of cash to back it up. Don't be afraid to walk away if they won't agree on a good price. Go grab lunch, come back in an hour and try again. Bring no more cash than the most you would pay.

Whats the asking price?
5K, he will not budge, I tried, he says it's worth much more, seems he only needs a bigger truck or he wouldn't even sell it, so maybe I will get lucky then, good price? But I can't test drive it, it's not on the East Coast it's on the West Coast. So it's a gamble at best, maybe a good one, seems anyway, or is it a hmmmm whats wrong with it scenario. Thinking about having a shop on location put it up on a lift and do a full check?

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-12-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ingenuitor
5K, he will not budge, I tried, he says it's worth much more, seems he only needs a bigger truck or he wouldn't even sell it, so maybe I will get lucky then, good price? But I can't test drive it, it's not on the East Coast it's on the West Coast. So it's a gamble at best, maybe a good one, seems anyway, or is it a hmmmm whats wrong with it scenario. Thinking about having a shop on location put it up on a lift and do a full check?
Ah, so he already knows your REALLY interested if you're shopping 3000mi away. Unless you're willing to fly out and do your own inspection I'd probably have someone else (shop or another yotatech'er) take a look at it. ChefYota4x4 is a CA member in Palos Verdes. I don't know him at all but he posts up here ALL THE TIME and I think he's been known to do favors for folks. Maybe you could ask him to give it a once over if he's close by.

$5k is a lot to pay sight-unseen especially when you factor in shipping it cross-country. I might keep looking if I was you...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by derockus
Ah, so he already knows your REALLY interested if you're shopping 3000mi away. Unless you're willing to fly out and do your own inspection I'd probably have someone else (shop or another yotatech'er) take a look at it. ChefYota4x4 is a CA member in Palos Verdes. I don't know him at all but he posts up here ALL THE TIME and I think he's been known to do favors for folks. Maybe you could ask him to give it a once over if he's close by.

$5k is a lot to pay sight-unseen especially when you factor in shipping it cross-country. I might keep looking if I was you...
I found a shop with great reviews in the area and they are going to go over it with a fine tooth, better safe than sorry and the owner drives the exact same truck lol, same year and all. So this is either fate or I lose some time and $40 for the full inspection, which is nothing compared to owning a 5K problem child. So yeah we are excited, how can you not be, it's Yota's People, these trucks are better than most, did you see the sad video on how to kill a Toyota.

[YOUTUBE]xnWKz7Cthkk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xTPnIpjodA8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]kFnVZXQD5_k[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Well guys, the shop looked everything over and came back with a it's the best truck they have seen and they live in Cali, so I bought it. I paid 6K he had other offers and I wanted to just get the deal done, before spring was over, which i know 6K is at the top of the scale, but it was a 16K+ when it was new, so it's all perspective I guess. And here in PA if I wanted to I could prob sell it for 8K maybe 10K on a really good day when the sun was shining just right and the right buyer, so I have been told.

Anyway, thanks for all help and direction. Another Yota on it's way to a new home...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
6k is a lot but not for the right truck. I would probably pay 6 if I had it in my hand and say her for sale
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM

I think you did good. You will be hard pressed to find another one that clean. Especially in PA. Happy to you man.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
6k is a lot but not for the right truck. I would probably pay 6 if I had it in my hand and say her for sale
I'm please to see that it was a fair value for the condition. Now I just have to play the waiting game....
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM

I think you did good. You will be hard pressed to find another one that clean. Especially in PA. Happy to you man.
You know their is someone out here holding out, low miles and kept 100% clean, the key issue is finding that and at a fair price before, so finding one around here with anything like what I bought that will prob not happen at all, that is rust free anyway.

Good luck on your search as well, consider shipping from another state, DAS seems good so far, do what I did and it should workout.

I will let you know, until it's in my hands and I'm driving it, it's a calculated risk, but at least it was verified by a ASE mechanic that owned the same truck.

Which by the way he did not charge me in the end, that never happens. A fellow Yota owner, I guess, either way that was too cool.