86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

klbeans's 2nd Gen 4Runner Build up Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get your power steering rebuild kit from?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great job, Beans! Loved reading through that...... learned a bit, too, THANKS!

Mark

PS> Best wishes on the rest of the 'BATTLE'! lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good man!
What size tire you running?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 AM

They look like 33x9.50's... Just a guess, lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey I had to ask I've done some more research since this post and learned that the reinforcements need to be removed (spot welded on at the factory), and then reinstalled on the other truck...not sure it makes sense to go down that path.

I don't weld...yet. I want to learn soon so I can build this, do the chevy spring swap, and other fun stuff....Is MIG welding the method I should pursue if I want to eventually do suspension, bumpers, etc? Sorry for the thread hijack.

Great build thread!

Originally Posted by klbeans
I'm holding on to the rear tire carrier. The new door can be retrofitted to accommodate the tire carrier by mounting the receiver on the tailgate. That would require some body work/modifying which I'm not ready to dive into just yet. It does leave me with the dilemma of what I'm going to do with my spare. May look into an under body tire carrier or put it in the back for now.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep the carrier mounting hardware on the passenger side of the truck. I'm thinking of modifying my upper hinge bracket from the tire carrier to accommodate my CB antenna.

Re. reinforcements... they exists within the rear quarter panel. There would be some work involved in getting this to work on your truck. Have you considered building a bumper with an integrated tire carrier?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Mig, Tig, SIG 227.... all good to have! lol... Jk, sorry, I wont highjack again! lol.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Authority
where did you get your power steering rebuild kit from?
Napa auto parts.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
They look like 33x9.50's... Just a guess, lol.
Good guess. Previous owner had these on. They've grown on me.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Philbert
Hey I had to ask I've done some more research since this post and learned that the reinforcements need to be removed (spot welded on at the factory), and then reinstalled on the other truck...not sure it makes sense to go down that path.
yeah. I noticed that. I haven't thrown out my old tailgate yet... in the event that I decide to have this done. I'll have to chuck it out by spring though. Don't want my yard looking like a scrap yard.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM

More work done tonight...

Old door gutted and ready for replacement.

Removed fender for replacement but also to gain access to the driver's door hinges.

Never fails, the bolts located near the bottom of the fender sheared. Lower fasteners are always prone to rust.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM

Sorry to hear about the shearing, .... but nice work, Beans.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Snorkel looks great man.. I've been wanted one for a while, just wish they weren't so damn expensive haha
Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Been a while since I've posted. I have some progress pics...

Returned to investigating the source of my power steering leak.

I think I have found the source although for the life of me I cannot locate the part numbers in the service manual. Hopefully the boys at Toyota will be able to identify them. These are part of the feed lines between the power steering pump and gear.

We tried brazing the brass pipe a few months back while it was on the truck. Now that it's off, I'm going to give it a proper cleaning and try brazing the entire perimeter. Hopefully that'll work. Worse case, I take it apart again and purchase a new one. Rubber tube is brittle and cracked. Probably worth while replacing it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM

Forgot to post my third attempt at fixing the power steering leak. I bought some gas tank/radiator repair putty and some fuel line. Putty dried pretty hard. So far so good although I did find one single drop of ps fluid after I cleaned everything and ran the truck for a while. To date its been pretty dry.

And on to the fun stuff.

Since these pics, I have removed the rear seat heater (blower and heat exchanger). Will be using this space for storage of some sort.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Took a while to get here but finally completed the relocation of all the wiring inside the truck. Also cleaned up the floor for bed lining.

And the beats. Picked up this 6 year old deck with iPod adapter. Perfect for this truck. Also wired 2 external speakers for the CB and placed these speakers in the stock front speaker location. Will install the stereo speakers on the front doors. Only fronts going in this truck.

Finally, going to install this amo box for additional storage. Will make some brackets to lift it up a bit to act as an arm rest. Will bolt the brackets into the threaded holes left over from the centre console / rear seat heater.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 PM

lotta good work enjoyed the read
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM

It's a work in progress. Going slow but I'm making sure to do things as right as I can.

Glad you enjoyed the journal of my build.

This is my first build ever so I'm really enjoying it every step of the way.

Last edited by klbeans; 01-26-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM

No offense but I sure hope you didnt pay too much for this rust bucket. But you have done a lot of good work repairing it.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dras16
No offense but I sure hope you didnt pay too much for this rust bucket. But you have done a lot of good work repairing it.
I paid $10,450 CDN for it. I think I came out winning. The OP even threw in an extra bucket of rust.

If you have to preface a sentence with "No offense", better to keep your comments to yourself. Thanks for the kudos in your second sentence though.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone has access to 20 year old rust free vehicles especially where the snow flies and roads are salted. This is pretty much what you're looking at for a 20 year old truck in my region.

And if you didn't catch the sarcasm in my first line... for the record, I did all right on the purchase cost. Thanks for your concern.

Last edited by klbeans; 01-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by klbeans
I paid $10,450 CDN for it. I think I came out winning. The OP even threw in an extra bucket of rust.

If you have to preface a sentence with "No offense", better to keep your comments to yourself. Your subtlety overwhelms me. Thanks for the kudos in your second sentence though.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone has access to 20 year old rust free vehicles especially where the snow flies and roads are salted. This is pretty much what you're looking at for a 20 year old truck in my region.

And if you didn't catch the sarcasm in my first line... for the record, I think I did all right on the purchase cost. Thanks for your concern.
mine wasnt quite as bad as yours rust wise probly could have found a body in better shape but I thought hey I own this one Ill just go with it , we all have our reasons for working on the progects we work on, and like you said some time you kinda have to take what you can get. keep up the good work man. p.s. I way overpaid for mine when I bought it but it was ahat I wanted lol.

Last edited by jason in tn; 01-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: klbeans's 2nd Gen 4Runner Build up Thread