86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kicker72's 1992 4Runner build up thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicker72's 1992 4Runner build up thread.

Thought I would do a build up thread to keep track of all the mods going into the 4Runner.

Some background on the runner. I purchased it back in March 09. Got her real cheap with a blown head gasket. Had it rebuilt and also added in new water pump,thermostat,timing belt,radiator, plugs, plug wires.

After everything was finished it ran like crap. I did do a lot of reading here and various forums, so I knew the 3VZE didn't have a whole lot of power,but it felt like I was pulling a trailer. Had no Passing gear, no umph. Checked TPS,EGR and so on. Up the timing 5 degrees and low and behold I now had power.

After I had the Runner running right. I started with some mods. First and easiest mod. CB radio ashtray mod. Didn't take pics of this but it looks just like everyone elses on this site. I used a Midland radio and a firestik doorjam mount on the tailgate. Used a KB40 whip antenna which is somewhere in Big Bear after wheeling and scraping some really rough schrubbery. Using a cheap sub right now till I order myself a firestik.

Here is the day I got the Runner.

Then I was looking at all the bumper pics and thought hey why not make one.

The building has commenced (not me in the pics. My cousin's a welder)

and more

and so on

and then there was.....

another shot...

Next up I found a really good deal on some Aisin hubs on ebay, so I bought em rebuilt and painted and put those on. I did mine black on black something different. The orange stuff was a sealant that got on the black paint I wiped it off after the pic.

Better Pic...

Next up came some LC springs out of a 97 Landcruiser, and some Procomp ES9000 shocks (model 926513)

Before Pics...

During....

and after.....

Last edited by kicker72; 05-31-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:44 PM

Next mods will be ball joint spacers and new front shocks. Custom rear bumper with swing out tire/jerry can carrier, will also be adding an auxillary fuel tank and aux battery. Want to get some 33x10.5's ,aussie locker and probably re-gear. I'll squeeze a paint job in there some where.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 PM

lokkin good man. where did you find the lc coils?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by runneroffroad
lokkin good man. where did you find the lc coils?
Hey thanks. I found them on craigslist. The other pair in the picture in the box are for a 3rd gen.The guy I bought them from gave me a whole set.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 AM

Did some more mods on the runner. Added a sleeping platform to cargo area, not finished yet. also added cages to windows in the rear carg area. Gives me more tie down locations to secure equipment and get stuff out of the way. also added a Rola vortex roof rack Saturday night. And added a J hook with butterfly nut to hold the tire in place. Tire holder was aquired from a 95 Bronco. It was a inside rear cargo tire holder. Pics below.......

Pic of rear cargo area. Got this idea from one the members on here. Didn't want a drawer system. so went with this. Used 3/4 inch plywood. Sealed top of plywood with Rustoleum Bed liner. Then carpeted with indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot.

Cages are bolted in.

Pics of the Rola.

Didn't get the roof rack finihed. Gonna add some c channel and some bolts to the rack to attach the Hi-lift, and ax and shovel to the other side.

Last edited by kicker72; 12-12-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added captions
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking very nice. Where did you buy the roof basket? I have been thinking about getting one for my rig.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Looking good, like the wire crate over good idea for storage. Like the roof rack too but the trails here don't allow it had a thule bar with my CB annetena ripped clean off. You rigs coming along.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 AM

85toyman Thanks! Got the roof basket at realtruck.com $174.95 shipped. They got it to me in one day. good service!! The rack is very nice, and locks down nice and tight. Thinking of throwing a rotopax up top in front of the tire, to have an extra 4 gallons of fuel.

muddpigg Thanks man. Yea the crate thing seemed like a good idea, and it's working out pretty good so far.

Still need to add sliders, BJ spacers, new front shocks. Lights to roof rack, locker, rear bumper/tire/jerry can carrier. New tires and re-gear if necessary, but it's coming along slowly but surely.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Did the basket come with the light tabs or did you weld those on?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Are you planning to make the basket removable or fixed?

What's you plan how the use of you rig?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 PM

85toyman we did weld on the tabs. The basket just came standard.

muddpigg I'm gonna leave the basket removable, with tools. As it is, it's to easy to remove just by hand. Lights will be attached via quick disconnect in case I need to remove the basket for any reason, I won't have to snip any wires.

Primary use will be for off roading. I've been doing lots of looking around the net and got a lot of ideas from here and Expedition portal forum. Going to also add an auxiliary fuel tank in the spare tire carrier underneath for extended trips. The runners tank is just too small. Also going to add an aux battery to run all my lights lol. 4 on the bumper and 7 up top., five front and two rear. Lots of juice.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by kicker72
Also going to add an aux battery to run all my lights lol. 4 on the bumper and 7 up top., five front and two rear. Lots of juice.
i would consider a bigger alternator too..that is a huge number of lights...are they all Halogen? I am converting some of my off road lights to HID...less draw amp wise and better light output...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM

might want to look at some of the marine connectors for the lights. Got the idea from another member on YT. Water tight connection that is screwed secure and has a cap to seal the connector when disconnected. Military uses a similar connector for many applications, both small and big.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 PM

Yeah my question is how to wire lights up top anyway. I can't seem to figure out how to run the wiring up there without looking funny running down the side of the rig. I have the rear brake light and thought about drilling a hole thru the top side and running the wiring down that and then along the basket. What are your thoughts about wiring the lights up?

I second that on the fuel tanks being too small. 15 gallons is rediculous for a rig that gets the mileage these V6 motors get. I have thought about pulling the tank off a 4runner that has the factory swing out tire carrier. There fuel tank is supposed to be under the rig where the rest of us carrier our spares, and it's bigger.

Last edited by 85toyman; 12-22-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 PM

http://www.boatelectricals.co.uk/con...in-23-amp.html This is what I was planning before the Thule bar was ripped off. Of course you will have to put a hole in your roof but its water proof and sealable.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 AM

ocdropzone definitely gonna be running a HO alternator just slipped my mind and didn't add it to the list. Right now all are halogen, haven't got the lights for the rack just yet. I was thinking of upgrading all of them to HID. I haven't ran prices to see how much it will cost to upgrade yet.

muddpigg that is something that i'm going to look into. If military is using it. It's gotta be pretty good. I'll stick it right where my rear wiper used to be. Looks like it'll fit perfect.

85toyman Lot of guys are running the wires under the weather stripping through one of the rear passenger doors and under the paneling. I'm going to run the wires through the rear window wiper connector. I removed the rear wiper anyways and figure it will be a cleaner install. It should take me right into the rear paneling so I can keep all my wiring hidden out of sight.

I didn't know about the gas tank being in another location on the runners with factory swing out. Maybe I'll need to look into that for an aux tank.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM

general question about a cb install I have a galaxy dx 919 its a fullsize cb i want to install it under the radio in my 97 4runner should be a 2 runner its not 4 wheel drive but any way i think it is to big has anyone install one with the same measurement as the galaxy dx919 if so can i see a pic