86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build

Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, got some stuff done getting ready for a potential cross country road trip in August or so. Installed a Cobra 19 cb I'd been kicking around every time I've moved since before I owned my Runner, happily it fit well in the ashtray location like many more people have done before me, so no real tech there. Also mounted the antenna just above the taillight with a door jamb mount, got a 5' antenna so it would clear the body by plenty. Got it all on, and the mount was flexing more than I'd like, then I looked online again and found that the mount was only rated for a 4' antenna. Oops. So I figured I had nothing to lose and fabbed some reinforcements for it. I was reminded again how bad of a welder I am, but I guess it'll get the job done and paint can hide bad welding a little.

I'll get a pic of it reinstalled when the paint dries and stuff.
Then stuff fell off

And stuff came back

Just waiting on the paint to dry on my Marlin, finally did it right with primer and everything

Edit-Done for the day
Here's the reinforced, booger welded, painted antenna bracket now

And my Marlin made it back on tonight, too

Looks better to my phone not being in direct sunlight, I guess.

So that leaves the door handles(I'll probably remove and paint mine, not sure if I'd need a new key if I got new ones), mirrors(I'll buy new, they're fairly jacked up anyway, motors don't always work, vibrate around like crazy), the trim on the tailgate, which is apparently missing a couple letters of Toyota, and if I really wanna get picky, the radio antenna.
Thanks for looking, if anybody has tips to paint the chrome better or weld better, I'm all ears!

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 05-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome 2nd Gen. Wish I could swap out my 3.slow!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Nice job.

-RONI-

Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna assume you're not talking about my welds, but thanks Rocker.
Not quite done yet, though...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sup Johnny? ........Sick lil Yota

Hey, is that pic in the creek one of those creeks that come out of Mt. Whitney Portal, etc.?

Also, in that pic of you flex'n.... Seems the front right stuff's pretty well. I know with 33's it will appear to stuff a lil more, but still, it's stuffing up there a lil more than I seem to be able to get it to.... and nope, it's not my bumpstops... Still had some room. I know it's mostly the Torsion Bars that limit flex... PERIOD! BUT, figured I'd ask if you've done anything else up there aside from BJ spacers? Pretty much the same suspension up front as my 87... I have my t-bars relaxed, too.

Anyway, enjoyed reading that....... pretty sweet rig... and LOVE the bumper! I've been wanting one without the huge stinger... Kinda like my push bar thing is set up. Half up the grill.

Stay safe UP there, man! haha... Seriously, I mean it.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM

That pic in the creek is actually Oak Creek, about where it goes past the North end of the runway at the Independence airport. Oak Creek is the one that goes past the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery, if you're familiar with it.
Nothing really done to the front to help it flex other than the ball joint spacers and the sway bar is long gone. I think part of it flexing more than yours(if it in fact does) is that I was headed downhill so more of the vehicle's weight was on the front, as well as the fact that I have the slightly heavier v6.

An update to the masses as well(as if that many people are reading through my garbage), a new style rear Marlin bumper is paid for and should be on it's way to Indy soon.

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 07-12-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Nice build
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks Solidaxle

Once again, not much of an update as far as the build, will have more when the Marlin rear shows up tomorrow or the next day, but I got to drive my rig for the first time in a month. Man if feels nice compared to our 25,000 lb work truck I've been cruising around for that month. Feels alot safer to drift, too!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 PM

OOOH, she's getting a retainer for her grill, eh? hahaha... PICS of the Bumper, asap! I've been dying to do front and rear bumpers... But ..... I really seem to get closer on the 'SLIDERS' application more often... So I should probably do that first. Like 1000$ for all 3... So yeah, that's gonna have to wait til other stuff is done.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Already have the front Chef, a no stinger Marlin. I get closer in the slider area more often as well, but I need a hitch since mine got lost. So sliders soon, but I've also got some big suspension plans to try and get done this summer.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

And BOOM goes the dynamite!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM

So, primed, dried, painted, dried, and took a little time on lunch and into work for just a bit...and it's installed.

It took a little bit to squeeze it on, the part that goes around the frame had to spread almost an inch. Also had to trim my exhaust a little, but that's no big deal. Not sure why, but also 1 of the nuts that goes inside the frame was already welded to it's bracket, the other side wasn't. A buddy of mine was filling in for me since I was on a mandatory day off, though, and he's better at welding than me, so problem solved while I ran to town for more primer.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM

I'm not sure if you are too familiar with the stock tire carrier but according to Marlin this bumper will not interfere with it, would you agree with that? I really like how it cuffs under this sides as well
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Dang, Jonny.... looks great!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Stew- I no longer have a spare under there, or a spare, period, for that matter, but I really don't see how it would interfere with any size tire that will fit under there. You can see in the close shot of the turtle when it's unpainted, the back end of the receiver doesn't protrude much more than 1/2" or so. I don't think it even goes directly under the tailgate. I'll get a pic at a better angle to show it installed if you'd like.

Chef- Thanks man, but I'm pretty sure yours is still nicer, cleaner, and has more work into it than mine! Plus it's more original. I wouldn't have minded still having the stock bumpers and just having some reinforcing tube frame put behind it, if possible, but the rear was a little messed up when I got it, and hitting a deer at 45 mph or so pretty much took care of the "clean" look up front.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Stew- I no longer have a spare under there, or a spare, period, for that matter, but I really don't see how it would interfere with any size tire that will fit under there. You can see in the close shot of the turtle when it's unpainted, the back end of the receiver doesn't protrude much more than 1/2" or so. I don't think it even goes directly under the tailgate. I'll get a pic at a better angle to show it installed if you'd like.

Chef- Thanks man, but I'm pretty sure yours is still nicer, cleaner, and has more work into it than mine! Plus it's more original. I wouldn't have minded still having the stock bumpers and just having some reinforcing tube frame put behind it, if possible, but the rear was a little messed up when I got it, and hitting a deer at 45 mph or so pretty much took care of the "clean" look up front.
I think stew is talking about a Tailgate Tire Carrier... that sits against the tailgate/swings out to the side? 2nd Gens had them pretty common from what I see at the Pick-Your-Parts. Maybe he's asking so he can sport one of those bumpers with his tire carrier and have them not getting in the way of each other? DON'T quote me,...I could be wrong on what he's asking, haha.

Well dang, thanks, man! I have tried to build it up a bit while keeping that 'semi-stock' look. With the 32's and outlaw2's on there.... it doesn't seem to pull it off as well, haha. But I'll have the 31's back on there when I go to do the CV boots/possibly CV's if needed and slap on those Aisin Hubs I just got I had a bad rear bumper too........ Ended up having to really bang away and shim and manipulate to get the 'new' replacement to sit plum, ya know?(also had to get a cornerpanel piece, too... cuz the original had been bent down so long it couldn't be bent into place, haha..... The bumper isn't as cool as those types you guys have.... But it's nice for 80$~! I have a spare front... so I will eventually put on an aftermarket one, and then the one I have on now with the holes can go to someone who has more damage(It has holes in it for the Downey Grill guard, on top/through the bumper mounts). I appreciate the compliments, Jonny... It can always use more work, but I like it

Cant wait to see it with both bumpers on there, man!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-19-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 AM

I gotcha Chef. Stew, post up a pic of your Runner at about the same angle as my installed pic, and maybe even give me a measurement for how far out the hinges stick out from the body and I'll see if the bumper is that far away at least from the body.

And Chef, I do already have the front Marlin installed, but it's on page 1 of the thread. So here you go, this is just after I started the complete dechrome/blackout and repainted the bumper in front, too.

One day I may even have a winch residing in it, who knows?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Hey man thanks for the reply! Yea i'm talking about the swing out carrier and I just looked at Marrlin's site and I think they are talking about the spare under the car. But here are a couple pics, maybe you could give your opinion. . .

Sorry if that's a lot of pics, but looking closer, I don't think it'll fit. I was originally going to cut out a chunk of a bumper where the hinge is so it wouldn't interfere with the swing out.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 AM

I love that bumper, man! I like the not so aggressive stinger ones, too... kinda squared off? Right up to about the hood level? Like the bigger ones, but don't like having them in my way. Even my bumper guard is in my way when working on the front end... I would not like that on the trail if I had to swap in the spare fan-clutch or something, ya know? haha... Looks GREAT, JONNY!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Saw this one today and really like it as well........

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3109463925.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build