86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the first day I have had off in two weeks. Needless to say I don't have much of an update. I have been ordering parts though.

I purchased a stud eliminator kit for the diff from Slag Factory. When I was taking things apart most of the studs came out anyway. I'll feel good about knowing that thing is buttoned up good and tight.

I ordered some rather inexpensive bell cranks for the e-brake. $50 got me new bell cranks, rubber boots, bolts and springs. I figure some extra rust preventative on those and I should be in good shape for a good while. Plenty of grease, too.

I also started researching getting my gas tank back in action. A quick visual inspection of the tank revealed a very rusty inside. A few good whacks on the tank broke some rust loose and there was just more rust underneath. So... Lots of reading on treating the rust and coating the inside of the tank. I decided on what methods and products to use- vinegar, phosphoric acid, Red-Kote sealer and several days- added up the costs and figured I'd be spending $75 - $90 to do the job. Not bad, but then I found a new tank on eBay, shipped to my door for $105. Well dang. After thinking about all that rust in there I opted to just put a new tank in. WAY easier, cleaner and less risk of crud making its way into my new motor.
Remember all those months ago when I put this in this truck?

I've cleaned all the fuel lines already, so now the whole system will be in great shape.

So the plan on Saturday is to spend the day working on the truck!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work man! I've been in the same place of struggling to find time to work on the truck and all... But I really applaud you for still taking the time and effort to do a thorough job of everything, especially that rust that you've been fighting.

There is an end to it, I promise! Just keep up the good work and the attention to detail and you'll definitely thank yourself later!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
Great work man! I've been in the same place of struggling to find time to work on the truck and all... But I really applaud you for still taking the time and effort to do a thorough job of everything, especially that rust that you've been fighting.

There is an end to it, I promise! Just keep up the good work and the attention to detail and you'll definitely thank yourself later!
Thank you. I always appreciate your encouragement.
I just had your build open because, like you, I had to cut off my leaf springs and cannot reuse the sleeve for the front leaf spring pin. You were able to find some hardware at Lowes that did the job- do remember what size exactly the bolt was and/or what size pipe you used as a sleeve? Maybe save me a little time.
I found a replacement pin but it seems most folks have had no issues just using a good quality bolt instead.
Sooner than later I want to put these new springs on and that will be an important component.
Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2016, 02:40 PM

I started the day by pulling all the rear brake lines. They were bad in a couple of spots so I've decided to place them all the way back. I've been looking at the nickel-copper lines. The guys at Napa said a lot of garages around town are switching to those. If they don't rust then they're good in my book.
Then, I cranked up some punk rock, did a final round of cleaning and slathered POR all over the frame:

You can see my pile of dirt and rust and bolts there in the foreground.
I found a few little spots that I missed when scraping and cleaning the frame- I'll have to come back to those.

Next, I turned my attention back to the rear end. Cleaned out the axel housing, scraped the old gasket off and started on my stud eliminator bolts:

My new gas tank arrived today as well. Paint it red?
Why the heck not?

Something else really cool about this tank, and I'll have to double check this, but the pinch weld along the outside of the tank is bent up, making clearance for the bolt on my OME spring. I may not have to modify that spring!
Overall it felt like a productive day.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Thank you. I always appreciate your encouragement.
I just had your build open because, like you, I had to cut off my leaf springs and cannot reuse the sleeve for the front leaf spring pin. You were able to find some hardware at Lowes that did the job- do remember what size exactly the bolt was and/or what size pipe you used as a sleeve? Maybe save me a little time.
I found a replacement pin but it seems most folks have had no issues just using a good quality bolt instead.
Sooner than later I want to put these new springs on and that will be an important component.
Thanks again!
What I used was some sort of pipe extension that was threaded on each side, and I just cut the threaded parts off. I used it because it had the exact same outside diameter as the sleeve it needed to replace. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but when I found it, I was basically searching all through Lowes just to find something that I could use as a sleeve so that I could get the springs installing.

In your case, I'd probably just order the proper part (I know you can find those online somewhere) since you have the time to wait for it to arrive. I was just in a pinch and couldn't have the truck just sitting in the garage waiting on the part since I needed it to take me back to school the next day!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:52 PM

I would bet toyo used black iron piping found in the plumbing and gas piping section.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Today was one of those days where I stayed busy almost all day but I feel like I have nothing to show for it. I know that's not true, but it's how it seems.
I dropped off my axles yesterday to get the new bearings pressed on and I was able to pick them up today. Then I started on cleaning and painting the back plates and cleaning all the brake hardware.

Other little things, too. I got the new inner seals put in the axle housing.
The rest of the "studs" for the diff.
I took a wire wheel to the skid plate that goes under the gas tank and then cleaned and prepped that for a coat of POR.
The weather was beautiful, the kids were well behaved as they ran between me and Nana, the country music was cranking and it beat the heck out of being at work (I used a vacation day today).
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Still working on the rear brakes. I realized that between both rear ends I did not have the e-brake cables that actually engage the brake. I couldn't find them online either, so I made them. For under $4 I made two cables that look like this:

And then install like this:

And one side is done:

Other side is curing and will be ready for assembly next time I get over to the shop!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 PM

Brakes are a good thing.

Now i need you to make me a y cable for my passenger seat sliding mechanism
Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Brakes are a good thing.

Now i need you to make me a y cable for my passenger seat sliding mechanism
I have to make one as well, I have some dirt bike clutch cables I'm gonna try
Old 05-27-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
I have to make one as well, I have some dirt bike clutch cables I'm gonna try
I was thinking of making 2 one for each side and crossing them underneath so opposite hinges activate them individually
Old 05-28-2016, 05:19 PM

I also have a broken cable on the passenger seat.
I am planning something along these lines: how-fix-broken-4runner-passenger-seat-cables-cheap
Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Nice updates!
May I know if you have done anything to the gutter rust? I've started to work on mine. Just not sure what seam sealant to use.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I used 3M seam sealer from Advance Auto Parts when I did my 4Runner. I used just over one tube. After the first one ran out they didn't have any more 3M brand so I used a generic one, I think it was labeled Dynatron or something similar. The 3M stuff was a bit thicker and dried faster. The Dynatron was thinner and took a lot longer to dry, about 24 hours. I'd pick the 3M if it was available but realistically I believe either one will work fine.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Oh, and I used just over a full tube on all the bodywork I did, not just the rain gutters.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Nice updates!
May I know if you have done anything to the gutter rust? I've started to work on mine. Just not sure what seam sealant to use.
Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
I used 3M seam sealer from Advance Auto Parts when I did my 4Runner. I used just over one tube. After the first one ran out they didn't have any more 3M brand so I used a generic one, I think it was labeled Dynatron or something similar. The 3M stuff was a bit thicker and dried faster. The Dynatron was thinner and took a lot longer to dry, about 24 hours. I'd pick the 3M if it was available but realistically I believe either one will work fine.
Thanks guys. I have not yet ventured into the body work up top.
Rad4Runner, I was going to suggest checking out the work that arlindsay1992 has done so far. I've been reading through his posts for inspiration and ideas, especially where the gutters and such are concerned...
I will post specific materials and parts that I use- as well as pictures- when I get to that part of the truck. I guess what I end up doing utlimately depends on what I find when I get to grinding away at that area.
Good news is I'm expecting my fiberglass panels from toyotafiberglass this week. Getting the rear axle and springs installed will make for a feeling of progress and I'll start to really dig into the body work that is ahead of me. I have good doors and soon I'll have new quarters and fenders installed. I know there will be some work on the tailgate and back end of the rig- and of course the gutters and windshield sill, etc. We'll just see what happens as I get into that part of the project.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
I used 3M seam sealer from Advance Auto Parts when I did my 4Runner. ...but realistically I believe either one will work fine.
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
..I have not yet ventured into the body work up top....
...I will post specific materials and parts that I use- as well as pictures- when I get to that part of the truck.
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys, and best wishes on your builds.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
In your case, I'd probably just order the proper part (I know you can find those online somewhere) since you have the time to wait for it to arrive.
Yep, that's what I did. 4Crawler set me up with hangar bolts, sleeves and bushings:

The theme of this entire build has been time and a severe lack of it. I have not worked on the truck for over three weeks until today- and even so I only had about two hours. But I have been ordering parts and getting everything I need to put the rear end back on.
New shackles (with part number if you're in need):

I bought a set of ARB u-bolts:

And I have a set of Bilstiens coming for the rear.
Today I'm going to pick up a roll of the nickel-copper brake lines and fittings to get that job finished before putting the rear end back on.

I still need to reassemble the rear end and clean it up and paint it, but I'm getting close.
My short project today was getting the right side brake assembled:

And, the fiberglass panels are en route- somewhere in Illinois right now...

I'm hoping for Father's Day I can get some time to work.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:57 AM

Just read through your thread. Fantastic work, your tenacity in giving your 4runner new life is impressive! I also live in Boone and just happened to come across your thread when I was researching some rust repair ideas for my 1983 LandCruiser FJ60. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 PM

Man, I love a clean rear end... Lol, good work!

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner