86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, great work, man! Crazy how them rust holes hide like that! hahaha..

Im just really glad that was the only one hideing. what I found more crazy is all but one of the floor pan plugs missing. who takes them out and for what reason doesnt put them back.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 PM

well I was able to get a little donr today, I got most of the new interior put in even if its just temporary.

the new to me carpet

the rear seats installed for the time being

and most everything else back together

as you can see the seats are not perfect but Im happy with them for now and atleast the are the correct seats so I have somthing to work with latter on. I also grabed the shifter cover and again its not in grat shape but atleast there is somthing there now.

I also was able to grab another roll bar pad which was great becouse I used the first one I got in my 97 when I installed the roll bar in it.

I mentioned yesterday that I reworked my asin hubs just thought Id throw up a pic of them.

I still need to reinstall the but I had to order the new O rings and gaskets the should be here wed and I head back to work tom so it will be a few days.

Last edited by jason in tn; 08-20-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You got all 4 gaskets, right?

BTW, .... GREAT WORK! Wow, man.... seriously... NIGHT AND DAY!

PS> HUBS LOOK GREAT! hahaha... I KNEW you were gonna do some 'matching' Yellow for some reason, haha.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
You got all 4 gaskets, right?

BTW, .... GREAT WORK! Wow, man.... seriously... NIGHT AND DAY!

PS> HUBS LOOK GREAT! hahaha... I KNEW you were gonna do some 'matching' Yellow for some reason, haha.

yep 4 gaskets and two O rings. thanks for the props Im really happy with how it looks now although not perfect Im not embarassed for people to see it like this. and hey its the little subtle changes like that that will make mine stand out when cruiseing the mall LOL, you lucked out with you red dials on a red truck I had to work to get mine to match LOL. thanks for stopping by buddy.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Even though you are going to have to take it to paint, it will give you a big jump in its progress and putting it back in isnt bad. It will go quicker and easier the next and FINAL time. Wahoo!! when you are done. Great job.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 AM

Hello Jason in gods country lol. Havent been in to check on ya lately but the runner is looking good. I havent driven my old 1980 in a few weeks. I need to get a t/c case seal for the rear. Oh well maybe this weekend.. Later
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Even though you are going to have to take it to paint, it will give you a big jump in its progress and putting it back in isnt bad. It will go quicker and easier the next and FINAL time. Wahoo!! when you are done. Great job.
This is the best the interior has looked since I bought this thing however many years ago, I'm just glad to have it its a big step to getting my runner the way I want it. I'm really gonna have to do a better job of keeping it clean and not just throwing spare parts etc in there.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bigdady
Hello Jason in gods country lol. Havent been in to check on ya lately but the runner is looking good. I havent driven my old 1980 in a few weeks. I need to get a t/c case seal for the rear. Oh well maybe this weekend.. Later
Hey bigdady how ya been. I noticed while working on the exhaust on this the out put shaft seal is leaking so I will have to get after that to good luck with yours. Just wondering do you still have the propane kit for sale that was in your sig awhile back? I'm on my phone and can see your sig.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM

nothing really to update, spent most of the weekend working on the boys truck and I need to get an axle seal changed on the 97 before I leave out but Im hopeing to get a little time in on this one before I leave back out I got one more day at home so theres still a chance tho a small one Ill let yaall know if I make any progress thanks for checking in.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Hope you get time to hit'r'with some love! lol. I know how it is, man... I'm right here with the dang thing and can barely find time to 'commit' to projects, ya know? (once I start, most of them will leave the rig immobile for a few/couple days, ..... uhg! lol.)

Thanks for stopping by.... need to shoot the bull soon, k?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Im so happy with the progress I made todayas you can see from the pic above the back window is up which means it works yeah me LOL, this tailgate has turned into more work than I care to admit. Like an idiot I cut the wireing, gave away the relay box and decided to use a gate that had been hacked on before I got it. I got the harness put back together, and it wouldnt work my expert on these was unavaliable "TERRY" but I checked everything I could remember him telling and decided the new to me relay box was probably the culprit so on a wim I called the guy I gave my box to and he said tep I still have it ended up not useing so come get it pluged it in and shazam it worked. thanks terry for all your advice before I started this part of the project.
I started sanding the black paint off the gate as well, that has to be the hardest paint I have ever delt with but its looking a lot better. hopeing to get to the filler work tomorrow and maybe have it primer before I leave out.

first time since I bought this gate that I have seen the glass I love the sticker on it

If I get anything productive done before I head back to work I will try and post up some pics. thanks for checking in.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
That's where I went! Go Fins!!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
That's where I went! Go Fins!!

I wasnt aware it was a real school. thats cool.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Man, great work! I'm so glad we have 'THE TERRY' factor on our sides! hahahaha....

Yeah,.... I'm a lil intimidated by the tailgate... And I have a problem I'll have to get to here, sooner or later(gate locks and window goes up but the door doesn't seem to shut all the way on the passenger side of the tailgate. I can push it in and out... Looked at one at the yard... Seems like it might be the latch that slides ON TO the Ring mounted on the body...which means I think I have to take the glass up with the gate down... then get in there and replace or repair it?) Anyway, meh, lol. Just saying, I KNOW Terry will have the answer... THANK GOD! lol.

Gonna be nice, man... and nice sticker, indeed!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Hey mark really the mechanical part of these gates is nothing to be intimidated by, the regulater comes out in one peace and its only 4 bolts hold in. Terry is a wealth of info for all of us tho.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM

OH, ok.... the regulator... is what? hahahaha... JK.. What I'm talking about is the latch on each side of the gate..... It grabs onto that u-hook to keep the gate shut/locked even. Mine seems like it's latching on the left but not on the right. Seems REALLY up in there, too... and can't be removed from the outside. Just saying I don't know the first thing about what's in there.. NOT TOO worried.. lol... But not liking the 'hunt for parts' factor if I screw something up... And DO NOT want to have to get a NEW oem part for it, ya know? hahahaha.

Thanks, Jason.... You're right... anything can be done with the right instructions/sometimes just enough CAREFUL fishing around
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM

The regulator is the main part the window mech and everything is one big part, my guess is you have a frozen or sticky release cable but if its more than that its still gonna be fairly easy and really nothing to break. You can do it man I got faith in ya.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Hahaha.. thanks... Right on, well... I better get it sussed... It can't be good to leave it not operating like that, right?

Thanks, Jason.... Dug in there, did ya? lol. JK, I know you did... messin.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Jason the runner looks good with the top and glass on. Bet that was a boost in your build. Looking good. Give me a call when you get a chance. Things are getting back to normal here again. Tooth, drill,.... Urgghh!!

Mark, I will be working on my runner in the morning. I will see how it is to adjust the latch assembly. I will also try getting a video of the ground wire up as I think it will show alot better on what I am talking about on having to ground the wire to the front tab. When Jason was out my way, I showed him and it really doesnt make sense about why it only works on the front tab and I had to do the same on my 88. With the jumper wire in you can have the tailgate down and makes getting to the latches sooo much easier. You wont need to worry about it falling out, but when the tailgate is down and the glass is all the way up, I do like to give some kind of support for it like a stool or something for the glass to rest on.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Jason the runner looks good with the top and glass on. Bet that was a boost in your build. Looking good. Give me a call when you get a chance. Things are getting back to normal here again. Tooth, drill,.... Urgghh!!

hey terry yep it was a big step in the rite dirrection.

Quick Reply: Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread