86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ironmaidn23's 1989 yota 4runner build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: HUNTERSVILLE/CHARLOTTE/LINCOLNTON, GOOD OL NORTH CAROLINA!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironmaidn23's 1989 yota 4runner build thread!

hey guys im transfering over here from the 4runnerforum.org , the 4runner forum guys dident give me alot of feedback and were kind mean so im transfering my build thread from there for you guys to see! all this stuff and pictures i posted is from a one to two month period of mods thanks guys hope you like it!

heres everything ive done to my ride in the past month or 2!! starting with the first 2 weeks of mods down below then all the rest of the posts for the other weeks of mods....

im new here im 17 my name is Hilton and ive been upgrading a VERY clean no rust! 89 4runner i got i sold one of my guitars to be able to afford to do my supin up to it, the engine part they did right before i go it. my step moms dad owns a shop and bought it for cheap and fixed up everything and i traded my 89 GMC siarra for it. i thought the would be ALOT better and its great i LOVE IT! The whole top part of the car, engine, and everything new head gaskets have been redone and fixed/polished and checked out at a machine shop, whole top of the engine has been rebuilt, new clutch, alternator, and alot of other work too much to list. and now runs perfectly and flawlessly now! its a 5 speed stick shift runner, in the pictures i put up below you can see i added the eight ball shift knob lol. the interier IS VERY clean and the car has virtually no rust. the outside paint is faded and my dad is going to pull out $1000 dollars (and were not rich so were gonna have to work for it haha) for macco to get a legit paint job. im getting it painted close to ferrari red. ALL controls on this thing work except the cruise control. Its got 2 aftermarket switchs one does a security thing you can arm the car i still dont know exactly what it does. and the other mght be a nitrous switch (just kidding) i dont know lol, i havent figured out what it does yet. i put alot of money in his thing in 2 weeks time lol

THE UPGRADES SO FAR:
.WHOLE top engine rebuild, gaskets done, altinator,cluch and to many to list!
.THE WHOLE SEAT COVER PACKAGE for rear and front seat.
.Eight ball shift knob
.DUAL 4 inch Burnt tip muffler BIG AND LOUD!
. CHROME euro tailights
. Brush guard refinished black (WAS RUSTY!!) BEAUTIFULLY REFINISHED BY ME HAHA
. RED LED NEON interior Lights
.AFtermarket KENWOOD fm/am/cd/ipod player (glows red)
. F1 MIMOUSA nifune steering will
.Adapter hub
. WINDOW Streetglow decal (red)
.BRAND NEW BLACK LEATHER REAPOLSTERED MIDDLE CONSOLE
.NEW SHOCKS
.PANTERA BACK WINDOW DECAL
.new clutch
.got iPod cord connecter

THINGS TO BE DONE:
.MACCO $1000 ferrari red paint job coming soon (in the shop getting painted as of april 1st 2011 will get pics soon)
.WIndows TInted
.Maybe a lift or zuk mod
.new rims maybe preferably pacers
.buying new perment black dash pad/cap
. BF good rich tires
.new speakers
.bushwaker cut out fender flares with a matching red finish

THANKS FOR CHECKIN THIS OUT YOU GUYS ROCK!! -Hilton
HERES A VIDEO OF THE NEON LIGHTS IN MY RUNNER:
YouTube - LED RED NEON LIGHTS INSIDE MY CAR (1989 TOYOTA 4RUNNER)
HERES SOME PICTURES:

My exhaust getting weilded on soon with a 2.5 inch straight pipe from the catalytic convertor back

Last edited by ironmaidn23; 04-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Here they are: watcha think?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 PM

NEW RIMS , they came off this yellow Toyota who the guy said he ran with the rims for a year , here's what they looked like on his truck and the rims by them selves, they been professional powder coated black I scored them for 90 bucks off craigslist

Here they are On his yota truck just so you can get an idea what they look like on a truck:

Old 04-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Here's the video If you have a computer watch it on there the speakers will make it sound more like it does in person this thing is freakin loud! Deep tones and was noticed by the whole parking lot lol it's way better than I expected $70 for instillation with cat back 2.5 inch pipe
Video:

YouTube - My 1989 Toyota 4runner new cat back exhaust plus new ebay m

And pictures:

Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Here's another close up video of the exhaust

YouTube - 1989 Toyota 4runner new exhaust plus muffler
Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Hey guys I got the new rims today! The rims were already sand blasted black but needed some touch up. So I went to autozone and picks up dupli color premium auto paint in black red and a clear coat best spray paint for anything auto period. I plan on doing a red lip around the rim but today I only got to the touching up. I sprayed 3 or 4 coats of this stuff all over the front of each rim and they look a millions times more blacker and better. sorry pictures don't show it that well I'll get some better ones tommarow. The red lip around the rim will look very cool I might do that tommarow, then I will spray the clear it's gonna be killer. What you guys think? I know it's been sandblasted and it looked great before minus some imperfections,now they just look perfect!
Here's some pictures like I said before pictures suck! but in person daaaammnnnn they look goooooooooddd!!! dark shiny black!!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Got my new cold air intake today!!! I just need to make or buy a heat shield. It's gonna be awesome, it's gonna improve sound acceleration and maybe miles per gallen, it's a $50 dollar intake from a eBay store called chrome intakes I've seen videos from stock intakes to these put in and man what a difference. I'll take a video of my stock sound and with the new intake! when I'm done putting it in this weekend! PS pictures of the intake below! This thing is huge! And I also finished the rims!
Heres pictures of the new intake:

[IMG]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ironmaidn23/0544ebbe.jpg[/IMG
Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM

I got the new rims on $40 bucks at this country bumpkin tire place and I'm going back tomorrow to get the right sized lug nuts put on and they will be chrome haha awesome! Right now the lug nuts are on and stay on but not fully on so tomorrow they are gonna put them on for free when we bring em by. The rims in these pictures are waaaaaaaaayy glossier and shiny my picture thing sucks :/ here they are tell me what ya think!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Here's some pictures of the new intakes I just installed. this thing has made my truck a whole new vehicle it's given it slot of power and sounds! You guys who say it wouldn't do anything were wrong!!! And I'm glad u were! Here's pics:

Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM

heres the video of the intake and mufller/ catback exhaust i will get a better video tommarow but this is all i could do today becuase of rain!

HERE IT IS:
YouTube - 1989 toyota 4runner with new cat back exhaust and muffler With cold air intake!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM

(this doesent matter now its getting painted by macco now)

Ive been meaning to do this for a while, i painted the trim around the sliding windows today their was some rust just a little bit, soo o touched them up to look brand new
Before:

During and after:

Old 04-03-2011, 03:36 PM

as of right now aprail 1st 2011 89 runners at the macco in hickory nc getting the $1000 paint red with a black top with all door jams and trunk jam and here threw in under the hood for free. i was debating hard whether to get red on red or red with the black top, the macco guys suggested black n the top because one it would look good and two it would look better considering the top of the top is messed up a little. but it should look great i cant wait ill get pics next week! :boxer:

as of aprail 3rd 2011 im going to eventually install blue dash gauge lights with a write up. and im going to VHT nite shades on the corner lights soon, will get pics!!

Last edited by ironmaidn23; 04-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM

no feedback at all guys really?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironmaidn23
no feedback at all guys really?
I think its just that it isnt the kind of build we are used to seeing, usually when someone starts a build here it is things like lockers, tires and other things that get it further down the trail. Neon lights and $1k paint jobs just are not that popular on this site, but to each his own.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Yeah, you turned a capable 4x4 into a rice-burner. What response did you expect?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by James Woods
I think its just that it isnt the kind of build we are used to seeing, usually when someone starts a build here it is things like lockers, tires and other things that get it further down the trail. Neon lights and $1k paint jobs just are not that popular on this site, but to each his own.
when i get the money next comes a 3inch rough country lift, bush waker cut out fender flares painted the same as the body. and some some bf goodrich mud tarrain tires, its all in the process my friend,
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Yeah, you turned a capable 4x4 into a rice-burner. What response did you expect?

ohhh on the contrary , this is just the begining, i plan on lifting it 3 or 4 inchs, bushwaker fender flares and, and off road bf goodrich tires, maybe some shackles. or 4inch blocks.. the only thing rice burner on this thing is the streetglow decal, the neon lights are just sick, and add a cool effect and light up the floor board when you need to red. you look at your if you have them, interior leds, well these are leds my friend not neon. and i got off road pretty frequenly, and try not too destroy my ride like you guys. as destroying a very rare perfectly running first gen should never happen, they aint gonna make them a 2nd time... this is only the begining, when i get more money there will be more mods toward the offroad aspect of this ride. trust me dont worry
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 PM

ohhh on the contrary , this is just the begining, i plan on lifting it 3 or 4 inchs, bushwaker fender flares and, and off road bf goodrich tires, maybe some shackles. or 4inch blocks..
I suggest you read this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
If you don't read that, the people who did will chuckle to themselves when they see your rig.

the only thing rice burner on this thing is the streetglow decal, the neon lights are just sick, and add a cool effect and light up the floor board when you need to red. you look at your if you have them, interior leds, well these are leds my friend not neon.
Umm, there's a LOT more rice on that rig than just that decal.

If you love your neons more power to you, but when you grow up a bit you'll probably kick yourself. Enjoy it until then!

I don't even know what that last part means. I suggest you use better grammar. People can't help you if they can't understand you .

and i got off road pretty frequenly, and try not too destroy my ride like you guys. as destroying a very rare perfectly running first gen should never happen, they aint gonna make them a 2nd time...
...which is a good incentive not to put ricer crap on it.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you bumped the thread for opinions. Apparently, Yotatech's truck values are different from yours, and the sooner you learn them the better your stay will be!

If you want a really brutally honest opinion of your rig, I suggest you post it on Pirate4x4.com. You may get a straighter answer from them than you would from us !

Last edited by Zelephant; 04-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM

RICER! clean truck, but not really what a 4x4 is meant for.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant

I suggest you read this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
If you don't read that, the people who did will chuckle to themselves when they see your rig.

Umm, there's a LOT more rice on that rig than just that decal.

If you love your neons more power to you, but when you grow up a bit you'll probably kick yourself. Enjoy it until then!

I don't even know what that last part means. I suggest you use better grammar. People can't help you if they can't understand you .

...which is a good incentive not to put ricer crap on it.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you bumped the thread for opinions. Apparently, Yotatech's truck values are different from yours, and the sooner you learn them the better your stay will be!

If you want a really brutally honest opinion of your rig, I suggest you post it on Pirate4x4.com. You may get a straighter answer from them than you would from us !
well yea that one part i said i dont even know what i was trying to say.. but anyway,, im not even trying to be a ricer... the tuner muffler sounds real good and its real cheap... looks pretty cool on a truck becuase of the big inlets.. i have a catback also.. 2.5inch pipe... and i think if i got some t4r or TRD decals it would make it less ricerish dont you think? trust me im not looking for the ricer look.. give me another chance if you think this thing looks ricerish by this weekend when i post pictures, ill just have to take some drastic measures....man im 17 haha what do you want from me bro?

Quick Reply: Ironmaidn23's 1989 yota 4runner build thread!