86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

iamsuprman13's 93' Toyota Pickup Extracab 4x4 V6 AT Frame Up Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuprman13
thanks space-junk, i will look through it as soon as it finishes downloading...I have always used a haynes manual, but I am learning quickly that they just aren't in depth enough, I hope these ones are way better...
hehehe... They SHOULD be better than a Haynes manual... It's the Factory Service Manual... It's what the Toyota service techs use to work on the trucks...
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took a quick look through the FSM at things that I have been looking in the Haynes for...my god...what a difference...I don't know that I will open my Haynes again after having this...maybe just for reference. Thank you again that is going to be invaluable for me!

Thanks yotasavg, I hadn't yet found out. I figured it would be something like that given that is what it looks like, I just didn't know for sure.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM

So it has been over a month now since I have updated...and sadly all that since I have even touched the truck...the sad truth of being military is the random field exercises you have to do every so often, this one including a week of prep that had me working all hours into the night then two weeks of the actual exercise, and then a week of recovery which had to wait for All American Week...so finally 5 weeks later I am getting ready for this long weekend, in which I am hoping to have most of the engine pulled...I don't have a cherry picker or engine stand, so I am going to be breaking the engine down to its most basic components, and pulling it apart that way...so I can lift it by hand, and since I won't be reusing the engine or tranny I am going to be trying to sell whatever parts of the engine are still good, the tranny, the ecu, and the wiring harness....so anyone who is interested look out for that coming up here soon on the classifieds...I can't wait to get back to work on it...working all these late nights and hard days has had me too tired to even think about going out there...but not this weekend...wish me luck guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuprman13

I feel your pain. This is the story of my life. Haha. Keep up the nice work!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Well, excuse me for thinking I would have some time off to work on my truck...instead, no, I have to work through 3 of my "days off" so it looks like I won't have the engine out this weekend either!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
wow, that thing is quite the project..how much did you pay for it?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Okay so I was able to get out of that stupid little detail that would have ruined my four day weekend...but of course the weather wanted to ruin my plans as well...hopefully tomorrow will be better so I can get some real work done on the truck!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM

I paid a grand for it...
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Now this might be a stupid question, but is there any difference between the bed of a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive pickup...i know the front fenders are different, but what about the bedsides...
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Should be the same.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 AM

You definitely are Freakin superman Subscribed just to see you hard your working.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 AM

thanks B-yodaful, I am trying to work as hard as I can on it, I am hoping to have it done, Money Allowing, well before I deploy next year...if not I will have to suffer the whole deployment wishing I could be off-roading! lmao
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Superman ,.... you're my idol~! Forget the flying and carrying buses out of harms way and laying them down gently.... More than that, YOU SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, my Country, and I'm grateful! On top of that, ...you deal patiently with a bunch of broken bolts, rust issues, mod's and swaps that test patience!.... Yeah, you're definitely SUPERMAN! lol.

Best wishes, ...... Watching, and hey, hopefully, while your deployed, .... you'll MOST IMPORTANTLY, 'be safe', .... AND THEN, ....who knows, maybe you'll get to do some off roading during deployment, right? Yeah, I'm sure that's not the relaxing, while fishing, camping, hitting the trails kinda 'wheeling' you had in mind. .... But THEY DO have lots of 4 Door SFA Toyotas over there... I say confiscate one, I'll fly in on a C-130 Hercules and bring SEVERAL back here for Yotetechies abound!! hehe. In all seriousness..... BE SAFE! OOHRAH, HOOAH, ETC!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Well thanks a lot Chef, I was deployed from the end of 2009 to the end of 2010, and I can attest, there definitely is a ton of yotas out there, single cabs, extra-cabs, and four doors, gas and diesel. We used them all the time for FOB trucks, just to run around and move stuff on base...I spent quite a few hours fixing them given my knowledge of toyotas from back here in the states, I could pretty much fix it off hand...lmao...I was very sad to see how many of those trucks were being wasted in that god-forsaken hell-hole! But as you said I did do some wheelin' in those...we had a flight line with a trash point all the way at the end, so it was pretty much 4 miles of nothing but dips, ditches, and whoops...i definitely put those FOB trucks through the paces...broke a couple of them....but there were so many dead ones laying around all I had to do was swap parts...i wish I could have brought a whole container full of those parts back...i would have spares for days!!! lmao

as for the project in my garage, your right...it does take a lot of patience to deal with all the problems...and all I'm doing so far is tearing it down...lmao...but I am so excited about the eventual outcome that it just keeps me going and going!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Okay, so finally I have an actual update on the truck...I spent all day working on it and got quite a bit done...

I got the carpet removed and it was pretty gross under there!

I have the whole dashboard removed as well as I have pulled the rear, cab, and engine bay wiring harnesses out. (still have to get the engine/tranny harness out)

That is when I started putting more work into the engine bay, so I pulled it back into the garage to get out of the sun...lmao

I had already removed the radiator after having drained it...so I started on getting the a/c system removed, condenser and compressor!

After that I removed the alternator, the power steering pump, the fan and fan clutch, the water pump, and started removing the air intake manifold.

I didnt get the intake manifold out yet, I plan on getting that and much more out today...so I will update again either late tonight or early tomorrow!
But here are some pics of how the engine is sitting now...

Also, I am not going to be reusing the engine, tranny, ecu, wiring harnesses, and much more out of this truck...so if you are looking for a specific piece of one of these trucks PM me and I'll let you know...I will be setting up a classifieds thread here soon as well! Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM

There's a lot of progress. How much did you found in change under that carpet?
I hope that, with the life style you live, you won't forget where stuff goes and the project will end up to never be completed. Must have been a pain in the rear to remove the whole dash.

What kind of engine you plan on puting in there? You're swaping someting or keeping it 3.slow?
Keep it up man.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM

I found about 2 dollars worth of change total in the cab...lmao

Yeah, I have been taking a whole lot of pictures of most every step that I am taking and most of the connections and what they are connected too...i have about 400 pictures I am using those to help me remember where everything were to go...however, most of it isn't going to matter because I am changing engines...I am going to go ahead with the 1UZ-FE swap...I have been doing alot of research into it...and seen quite a few trucks on here...like yours for example, and I just can't get over how sweet it is...so that is what I have decided!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Nice, a 1uz . Definetly not a downgrade hehe. You will like it. I also love that you're keeping it a toyota. Take your time, make it right and ill be jealous lol.
You got at least 2 more bucks on the budget lol.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Oh definitely yota all the way! I had always thought of upgrading a better v6 but since I came across people doing the 1uz swap i was ecstatic...thank you, I have a very long list of things I want to eventually do to it...but most will be later down the line...after I have gotten this baby trail runnin'...
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 PM

oh and I definitely plan on taking my time, I am going to rewire pretty much the whole truck myself and re-run certain lines and things in order to make sure that everything looks good...I am pretty OCD about certain things and one of the things that annoys me the most about every vehicle for the most part is how the wiring is run...i would rather the wires be longer and look better than just take whatever route gets it there the fastest...so I am going to be doing the whole wiring harness myself...lmao...I know i know...that is going to be a daunting task in itself...but it is how I am going to make sure everything is perfect!

Quick Reply: iamsuprman13's 93' Toyota Pickup Extracab 4x4 V6 AT Frame Up Rebuild