86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

DCorvin's 93 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCorvin's 93 pickup

So this is my first truck, I got it for 1200 and I love it. I never want another truck besides toyota again!

I havn't done much too it, but I've got 1500 saved up and I want to fix it up and make it nice. Unsure where to start, I guess I'm just gonna get an exhaust system but I figured I might as well get a set of headers while I'm at it.

The only real thing wrong with it is where it was slid into a pole when it snowed real bad and I hit a sheet of ice. Bent in my valance, dented the bumper and cracked the grill. Oh and the hood is now a pain in the ass to pop open, usually takes two people.

I'd like some ideas on what to spend my money on so any feed back will be great. I got some Volution 17" rims for free to go on it, I was gonna spray paint em black. But I think one of them is bent and I can't find any online.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Oh and my o2 sensor on my exhaust is messed up. It isn't in and comes out, sometimes it doesn't start when its out. Does that effect my MPG any? It seems like it defiantly has.

I bought this truck with around 162,000 miles on it, and I've got around 187,000 now. I dont think the PO has done anything to the timing chain, but I'm unsure how to tell if its messed up. I called a garage(since im not good with vehicles but I want to learn) and they said it'd be a few days to do it and it cost bout a grand. I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

I was thinking bout headers, exhaust system, buy some new bumpers and a grille(really like a billet grille) camshaft. Everyone has told me I might aswell buy a rebuild kit if I'm getting a new cam, know where any good ones are? I checked out Engnbldr but I'm not sure bout any of it.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DCorvin
Oh and my o2 sensor on my exhaust is messed up. It isn't in and comes out, sometimes it doesn't start when its out. Does that effect my MPG any? It seems like it defiantly has.

I bought this truck with around 162,000 miles on it, and I've got around 187,000 now. I dont think the PO has done anything to the timing chain, but I'm unsure how to tell if its messed up. I called a garage(since im not good with vehicles but I want to learn) and they said it'd be a few days to do it and it cost bout a grand. I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

I was thinking bout headers, exhaust system, buy some new bumpers and a grille(really like a billet grille) camshaft. Everyone has told me I might aswell buy a rebuild kit if I'm getting a new cam, know where any good ones are? I checked out Engnbldr but I'm not sure bout any of it.
You can check the timing chain by pulling off your valve cover. Then you can visually inspect the chain guides, see if they are broken or missing. That's usually a good indicator if your timing chain needs replaced, if the guides are broke or missing, then the chain is most likely wearing grooves in the timing chain cover.

As far as rebuilding your motor, personally, if it's not smoking or using any oil I'd do the timing chain, and maybe the header and call it good. If it's running good, there's no reason to rebuild the motor (yet) when you could easily get another 50-70,000 miles out of it. Thats just my opinion. You could always find another motor and rebuild it in your spare time, learning as you go, that way your truck isn't down for a long time, then when the original motor goes you'll be ready to rock the new one.

Just my 2 cents, nice score on the truck. That's what I like about the 2wds, you can pick them up pretty cheap. I think my next yota project will be a X-cab one like yours, then I'll SAS it!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'd like to find another truck fairly cheap and make it my project truck and for learning that way I dont screw up mine.

Any guides about timing chains on here? I'm completely new at working on cars so I wont even know where to start to check it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Pull your valve cover off and you can get a flashlight and look down the timing chain and see what condition it is in.

As far as your O2 sensor, I get mine at www.sparkplugs.com and get the factory recommeded one. Most exhaust shops are so used to having to cut out the old one and sticking in the new one it is reasonbaly cheap. I can get it done for about $25. The sensors are so rusted and burnt into the pipe, it is easier for me to have it done, unless you have the tools to do it yourself.

Engbldr is great. Ted will do his best for you. A rebuild will take alot of time, I would suggest having another source of transportion as it can be a slow and expensive process.

Rusted has some good advise and I just repeated alot of it but that is coming from experience.

As far as your hood being difficult, post a pic of the core support inf ront of your battery. Might just need to get a come along and a good tree and pull it out just a little bit. Ebay has all or most of the parts that got bent for a good price. (bumper and valence).

Try taking them off and on the valance it might pop out alot of it just by using the palm of your hand and the bumper, try using a small block of wood and tap it with a hammer.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Ok, I'll try and get some pics up later, I'm packing for the beach and may not have enough time!

I've looked at engnbldr and I like what I see, not very motor savvy so it's a little hard for me to understand, but hey thats why I'm here. To learn. I've seen alot of good things about their cams and heads though. What kind of setups do you guys have on your trucks?

I think I'm going to put an exhaust on it with some headers to begin with. I hear LCE has some nice ones, do y'all have any opinions though? I've seen some flowmasters on toyotas and a few magnaflows and I dont really know which one sounds the best.

I know this boy who had the exact same model truck as mine, just 4x4 5speed and he wrecked it awhile back. He said the axle was broke and there was some front end damage. I think I'm gonna try and buy it off of him to learn on, or use parts for my truck. Maybe make it a project so I can still drive my yota.

I got an automatic btw, its a little disappointing, I'd love a 5 speed.

Oh and as far as bumpers go, do you guys think black grille and bumpers would look nice on my gray/silver truck?

Last edited by DCorvin; 04-06-2012 at 09:44 AM.