86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

After all this time, I am finally starting a build thread. I am starting with an idea for a Winch mount I plan to build. I will work out the square tube bumper after I finish with the Winch mount plans.

I am curious to see what other YT members have to say about my Winch mount design. I drew it up on Google sketchup.

So what do you all think so far?

There will be more to come shortly. I have all the parts I need to start the 63" chevy swap and the new to me Blazeland LT kit.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overkill. Not understanding the horizontal plate behind it? Looks like trail gears, might consider just buying it?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Finally... this build thread has been long overdue.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM

I know you got the big body lift but having the winch that high puts even more stress on the weak front x member. Higher you go the more leverage your giving the mount to bend that. Bring the mount lower and angle your bumper up to match the body.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Keith, I agree it's much cheaper to just buy the TG winch plate and build off of that. Look at how much plate steel costs these days and calculate how much time/energy you're gonna have to put into making all those cuts and welds...sure you can say you did it, but definitely gonna cost more than the $140 they want for one. The fab shop guy i know can get discounts on TG stuff since he's a vendor, so that's an option for you. I was gonna pick one up from him once I figure out my garage/shop configuration and buy a welder for myself.

And enough of all this Sketchup already...we need to see sparks and metal being cut
if you need any help with something hit me up, i'm only down the street
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thread with a blazeland kit I'm in.... good luck man take tons of pics
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hells frozen glad you finally made one of these haha gotta catch up on all your past mods.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM

pics of the truck? i also got a 86 longbed
Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd post pictures of it but its his thread.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I'd post pictures of it but its his thread.

tease!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Any plans for a rear bumper of some sort? I think your definitely in need of one
Old 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
Overkill. Not understanding the horizontal plate behind it? Looks like trail gears, might consider just buying it?
To clear up what the horizontal plate is. I placed it there to mount to the front body mount. I would have to trim a 1/4" off of the body spacer for it to work. I understand what your saying drew, when you mention about he leverage on the mount. the horizontal plate should help with this issue. I have been thinking of tying some plate down towards the idler arm and steering box bolts. I am still working on the plan.

Yes drew the mount should look vary similar to a TG mount. I measured a TG mount so I could adapt the dimensions to what I want to build, so it can fit the body lift I have.

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Keith, I agree it's much cheaper to just buy the TG winch plate and build off of that. Look at how much plate steel costs these days and calculate how much time/energy you're gonna have to put into making all those cuts and welds...sure you can say you did it, but definitely gonna cost more than the $140 they want for one. The fab shop guy i know can get discounts on TG stuff since he's a vendor, so that's an option for you. I was gonna pick one up from him once
I figure out my garage/shop configuration and buy a welder for myself.

And enough of all this Sketchup already...we need to see sparks and metal being cut
if you need any help with something hit me up, i'm only down the street

I understand the TG mount is cheaper and thought for a long time of building off of the TG mount. We do not do this because it is cheep and It would be cool to take the skills I have accumulated over the year and build a custom mount I can call my own.
Originally Posted by B-yodaful
Any thread with a blazeland kit I'm in.... good luck man take tons of pics
Thanks man. I will be getting more pics up soon. Like a few have said, this thread is far overdue. I built my truck in a non conventional way. I planed my build over an eight year period of reading.
Originally Posted by stockwell45
Any plans for a rear bumper of some sort? I think your definitely in need of one
There are plans for the rear bumper in my head. I will actually fully build the rear bumper before I do the tube work for the front bumper. I have a winch now and I need to mount it. That is the reason I have started working out the plans for front. The front mount may change some as I work out he issues. I willbe building a 1:1 scale model out of cardboard and wood.

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
pics of the truck? i also got a 86 longbed
here you go mate.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM

its nice to see a non bobbed longbed, i hate the looks of bobs, your is what i want mine to look like
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 AM

I agree. I hate bobbed beds. The more space I have the longer I can stay out camping.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 AM

exactly, and with a bobbed bed you cant fit other toys in the back. check out my yota if you get a chance, got big plans for it
Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM

If you're bobbing a bed you generally aren't concerned with hauling anything, its for a performance gain while retaining the look of a truck and street legality.

Everyone's prerogatives are different. my rig isn't for camping its for trailering to the trails and wheeling all day and going home lol... my 85 is for hauling n camping and more Dark's interests.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM

And I see what u wanna do with that horizontal plate but I still think its a bad idea'r. You can lower it and still make a bitchn bumper
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Here is an update. the supports on the back of the mount is set up to bolt to the inside of the frame where the idler-arm and steering box are bolted to the frame. Please give me your insights on this plan.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
damnit! i keep trying to grab and rotate it!!

it looks a LOT like DIRTCO's winch plate he built... beef for sure... and drew, i dont think you know fairy that well... he wont build something unless he's SURE its beef enough and will work flawlessly...

and, keith, MOAR PICS!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 AM

thats good idea'r! id just eliminate the horizontal and the lil triangles all together.. its not neccessary.

use the two factory front xmember bolt holes (that are threaded in already) ..the factory upper gussets ontop of the xmember or cut em off and put stiffer ones... and your frame extensions ur set dude..

you dont even really need the frame extensions but if ur going that high i would add em.

Quick Reply: dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread