86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

cr@ves4wheelin's 1991 Hilux Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4:88s!!

Well those torsion bars never came lol, I guess it got canceled and money never came out of my bank account so it's whatever.

On the bright side, I went to the junkyard today and looked at a 92 4runner with a G144 Gear code. So I'm getting them to take it off and I'm picking them up for $400. Getting back from kragens today, the engine starting running rough, so I think I need new spark plugs. No big deal, I'll fix it all up this weekend as long as my truck lasts that long lol.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM

The reason why they could not align the truck is because they did not know how to setup the alignment machine. Since the track width is wider in the front, the wheels sensors they put on will not see each other, front to back and this is the problem that they most likely would have had. All they had to do is select your truck and go under two wheel alignment instead of 4 wheel alignment and they would only have to use the front sensors. I know this because I used to work as a mechanic and I had a two wheel drive Toy with the Fabtech Ivan Dan lift kit and I did my own alignments and that is what I had to do to set up the alignment machine. I hope the other place did your alignment with the factory specs. No reason whey they could not use the factory alignment specs. Also I HIGHLY recommend investing into an adjustable shock with that long travel suspension.

James
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
Was the lesson for me today.... Anyways, I'm back in town, and went offroading with a friend, and I was going fast and what not, before getting on the highway, I always check for damages, then I found that one of the axles had sheared off or something and the other axles clamp had fallen off making the boot loose. So don't buy cheap axles unless you're really on a budget.....like me lol.

So another pair coming tomorrow, I also ordered sway-a-way torsion bars a week ago from poly performance because the stock ones are starting to sag, as forewarned by BlazeN8. So Yeah, Happy Holidays everyone.
Looks like it came apart due to it extending too far out. The boot does not hold the CV shaft together and what most likely caused that is the design of the aftermarket axle shaft not being the same specs as a factory OEM Toyota one. I guarantee if you took an OEM Toyota axle shaft apart and then your aftermarket one apart you will notice some "short" comings of the aftermarket one. Or another possibility is that Nate fugged up!!

James
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks for explaining the alignment issue, that makes sense.

Originally Posted by JamesD
Looks like it came apart due to it extending too far out. The boot does not hold the CV shaft together and what most likely caused that is the design of the aftermarket axle shaft not being the same specs as a factory OEM Toyota one. I guarantee if you took an OEM Toyota axle shaft apart and then your aftermarket one apart you will notice some "short" comings of the aftermarket one. Or another possibility is that Nate fugged up!!

James
I already put my money on it being the aftermarket one not being according to oem specs, which is why i suggested not buying cheap aftermarket ones lol.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 01-05-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

4:88s installed

Name:  IMG_20110107_201203.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20110107_205726.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20110108_041545.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20110108_122628.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  54.9 KB

Sorry for the blurry pics, I was tired, excited, and couldn't hold the camera still lol.

Why didn't I swap the non add tube? Because I rounded off one of the bolt heads connecting the non add tube, then my grinder wasn't working. So I just did the band clamp mod and put it all back together.

I had to do the rear diff twice because i didn't use enough sealant, then one of the studs broke when I was using my torque wrench, for some reason it wasn't working great either. Used lots and lots of sealant. No leaks so far.

Anyways it was totally worth it, when I took it out for a drive it had better acceleration, it felt awesome. Now I gotta take my truck to Toyota and see how much it's gonna cost to get a coolant leak from the coolant outlet on the engine block fixed. At least, that's what I think it is. When the engine warms up it stops.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
James your right it looks like it extended out too far and just popped out? Did I "fugged" something up? Hmmm.... if I did its the first occurrence I am privy too? How high was the jump?

Originally Posted by JamesD
Looks like it came apart due to it extending too far out. The boot does not hold the CV shaft together and what most likely caused that is the design of the aftermarket axle shaft . I guarantee if you took an OEM Toyota axle shaft apart and then your aftermarket one apart you will notice some "short" comings of the aftermarket one. Or another possibility is that Nate fugged up!!

James
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM

I didn't really jump it lol Don't CVs break sometimes on the trail?
Maybe it was because i was going 45 mph on the whoops in 4wd. Or it was probably when i decided to go up a little atv ramp, and i didn't look before i went, but there was a pretty good drop at the end of the ramp. Or it could've been when i ran over a stump going pretty fast. lol I don't know, too many variables
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm just teasing, but it sounds like you are wheeling fairly hard so stuff is likely to break. Mobbing through whoops at high speed in 4WD complicates things. Unlock the manual hubs and keep it in 2WD for mobbing it. I would carefully inspect the differential attachment points. It could be something has loosened up which might allow movement in the diff. When you took the drop bracket kit off and put the differential back into the stock location did you have all the OEM brackets and hardware? Even something as simple as a missing washer might compromise the assembly. Anyway, look it over and let us know. Hopefully it was just a fluke occurance!

Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
I didn't really jump it lol Don't CVs break sometimes on the trail?
Maybe it was because i was going 45 mph on the whoops in 4wd. Or it was probably when i decided to go up a little atv ramp, and i didn't look before i went, but there was a pretty good drop at the end of the ramp. Or it could've been when i ran over a stump going pretty fast. lol I don't know, too many variables
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM

lol oh okay. Yeah I'm pretty sure I did have all the oem stuff on there and I dont usually go on the whoops in 4wd, i just wasnt thinking about it. It's just one of those things that are bound to break.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Coolant leak fixed, turns out it was the water pump. I went to the Toyota dealership. Other stuff like timing belt, idler pulley and a couple other things needed to be replaced. Damage was $1500, huge dent in my wallet.

Also updates on 4:88s, they aren't as great as I originally thought they were going to be. On highway, rpms are too high. I should've gone with 4:56 I think, but whats done is done.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
What size tires? I would think that 4.88's would be perfect. You could always sell the 4.88's.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 AM

Tires are 33x12.50, I think 35s would be better for 4:88s and my manual tranny. I could sell them, but honestly I don't even want to deal with them right now. I'm going back to chico monday, and the bill for the coolant leak set me WAY back.

I put my opinion on this thread too, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...-chart-227589/
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
If you do decide to sell, let me know.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know someone who would probably jump on that rear 4.88 fast.

They wouldn't need the front though, i don't really know anyone with ifs anymore
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks man, but I just don't wanna deal with it now that I'm back in chico going to school. Besides that, when I got back from eureka I actually got the same gas mileage than before because all the hills on 299. So for the sake of that I'm keeping them, it wouldn't be worth doing all over again.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Yea, its a pita dealing with changing diffs. The rear ones, not so much.. the ifs ones.. definitly
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM

how do you like the blazeland with stock tbars? im thinkin bout buyin one. truck looks dope man
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks man, I like stock T-Bars because they make the ride soft and my front end isn't too heavy, but it's recommended to upgrade to sway-a-ways because the stock ones will begin to sag. Although I haven't upgraded them yet so I really can't compare the two on performance.

I've actually ordered sway-a-ways, and poly performance took the money, but I never got them. I e-mailed them two days ago, I'm gonna e-mail again, or call them.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Update

Soon to come!

Coilover Conversion...

Name:  IMG_20110421_145837.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  130.2 KB

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 04-30-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM

yesss, those coilovers are going to be sweet

Quick Reply: cr@ves4wheelin's 1991 Hilux Build-Up Thread