86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

cr@ves4wheelin's 1991 Hilux Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cr@ves4wheelin's 1991 Hilux Build-Up Thread

Anybody feel free to give me ideas for my truck as I go along with this thread.

I have a 1991 Toyota Hilux DLX.

My dad bought it when I was like 7(?), it came with a 4" bracket lift with blocks in the back. Then when I turned 16 and started to drive, it was passed down to me.

At first I was really stupid with how I used my money that I regret it to this day, but I learned my lesson as I got to know more about offroading and trucks. So quickly here are the evolutionary stages of how my truck looked over the past two years.

Most Recent:

Here's a compilation of all the offroadin I had done in the two years, and I didn't know that rear lift blocks were dangerous until not too long ago. I thought why would they sell such a dangerous product, so I never was too worried back then.

(Here's the video, you have to click it)

So after all that, and some new toyo M/T in the rear, my suspension is in pretty bad shape. So at the beginning of this summer I decided that I need to do something about it before heading off to college where I won't be able to anymore. Couple days ago, I ordered a Blazeland LT Budget Kit that is estimated to be ready in mid-July. And I also was thinking about swapping the rear blocks with 2" lift AAL. Then maybe far into the future coilovers in the front to add on the blazeland kit lol.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 06-29-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you put on the blazeland, ditch the trailmaster lift,, put it on craigslist and use that money for more upgrades.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM

I was thinking back and forth about that actually. I don't know if the front shocks will fit after I put the blazeland on and take the bracket lift off.

Then I'd have to get a stock one of these in the picture below (steering knuckle I think it's called?)

Plus I like how the skid plate that I made for it looks. So idk yet, I'm just gonna go slow and see how everything comes together.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 06-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Yesterday, I thought about it all day (at work), and decided that I'm gonna take off the bracket lift while putting in the blazeland kit.

Today was a nice day and I had the day off, so I went to the junk yard to get stock steering arms (I found out what they were called from the nice guy at the junkyard). They cost me $20 bucks a piece, and I took 'em off of a '90 4runner.
Tie rods were easy to get off with the pickle fork and BFH. Made me sad that the 4runner was in decent condition and the engine must have gotten hit in a collision.
Really was tempted to take the skidplate, but I controlled the urge. I'm gonna make another one to fit with the bumper.

Had threadlocker on the steering arm bolts, if I didn't have my breaker bar with me I'd have been screwed.

Also I found a face plate thing for the ac control panel. I broke mine.

Even though it don't look too different it was worth it, plus it was free.

Gonna buy T100 CVs later, when the Blazeland LT comes soon.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Did some after party wheelin at the riverbar today. Haven't been offroadin for a while so it was good. I know its not good to not roll with a buddy, but nobody ever goes with me. Besides, its a toyota. Goin about 45 in some gravel and sand, and muddin in some mudpits, it all fun. Still can't wait to do the suspension soon, the bumps won't feel so damn harsh and everything in the cab won't go flyin everywhere.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your Blazeland LT kit is underway. The LCAs are the outstanding item but they should be ready next week. Then off to be powdercoated. I think pulling off the Trailmaster kit is an excellent decision. The shocks from the trailmaster kit will work fine when the Blazeland is installed.

I am looking at your current wheels and must warn you that once the Blazeland is installed they will stick out really far. They look like they might be a 15x10 with a fairly shallow backspace and a 33x12.50 tire? I'd recommend you go back to that salvage yard you got those steering arms at and get a set of stock SR-5 aluminum rims. They shouldn't be to much, maybe you could get a trade discount? The SR-5 rims have a deep backspace (4.5") and are only 7" wide so they wont stick out too far. A 33x12.50 will mount no problem! The rim design is hub centric and the square shank lug nuts are strong. Toyota builds awsome stuff including these rims.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 10-04-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 AM

Thanks BlazeN8, looking forward to it. Also, thanks for clarifying my shock question, really wasn't sure how they were going to fit. After selling my trailmaster lift I'll look into those toyota rims.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Happy Friday

Went to Kragen to get T100 cv axle shafts, but they wanted $200 each because of the core charge. I thought that was crazy, so I went home and ordered T100 CV Shafts from Kragen's website for about $69 each lol.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

I think you should do a SAS!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Oh and i like the fenders man!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Thanks dude, You have a nice lookin truck yourself. I've thought about SAS, but I'm more of an IFS guy myself.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Well i was to untill i got more into trails and started getting close to flipping my truck in holes. I got everything i need except a few hundred buck just incase anything goes wrong so it wont be long.!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM

lol Yeah I keep a few hundred bucks for the truck just incase too. Nothing too major has happened yet [knock on wood]
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Eureka

Nice rig!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 PM

Thank you. I'm diggin the flatbed you built for your truck. Thing looks sick.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Came home for lunch today to find the t100 axles sittin at my front porch. Delivered way faster than I thought they would for standard shipping.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 07-25-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Took off the old swaybar today. This thing has probably saved my @$$ more than once. The truck is definitely more fun to drive now, still I'm goin to have to be more careful with my driving around corners now.

Here are the trailmaster swaybar brackets, Gonna keep them and clean em up a bit to sell later on.

BlazeN8 shipped my kit friday, and UPS says it should be at my doorstep on tuesday. Here's a picture he took for me.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Man its been a busy week. Got the kit tuesday. and pulled an all night getting everything on. It was a long process getting the brackets off and putting the long travel on. Right now the driver side cv axle is still stock because i couldn't get the damn cone washers out of the hub. Plus when I was trying to put the upper ball joint back in, it pretty much broke. I was trying to tighten it to make it pop in but it didnt happen. U-bolts are being a pain to back on, because the threads are all messed up, but I'm passed the point of no return and slowly but steadily i got 3/8 on. Anyways here's some pics.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a bummer about the hubs, the upper ball joint, and U-bolts. Those complications always seem to flare up don't they! Call me if you need some customer service, I know a few things about working with the IFS. Installing and un-installing various lifts is something I'm too familar with. Save yourself some hassle, I'd be glad to help.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks man, its just those little time consuming things are the most stressful. Right when I'm ready to drive it, I break a balljoint. Putting the old U-bolts back is the worst idea ive ever had. The threads where the plate rubs against were all messed up but i figured a long breaker bar might do the trick, regretting it now though. I have no idea what to do with those cone washers, thinking about taking it to toyota and have them deal with those lol.

Quick Reply: cr@ves4wheelin's 1991 Hilux Build-Up Thread