86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the engine compartment, its clean and organized. Looks amazing.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
looking great man! get-er-done!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
THANKS BLEEDER!

Yep, I intend to, tomorrow! I'm calling AAA tomorrow morning at 8:30am PST, and they'll have it over their drop bay by 9am. He said, "Yeah, we're working on two REALLY pita cars today, a Viper and a AC Cobra, and if you came now, it'd not likely be done till tomorrow anyhow.....You come at 9am and we'll have you out in an hour or so, max.....Plus, I got you a 2.25" Higher flow CAT, but that will still allow you to pass smog in CALIF.....and if you don't, I'll install another for free within a year". (which is good, considering I just smogged it in May! hahaha).

I installed the Clutch Slave and Master just now, Hood, and asap, after I test run it, I'll do the fuel filter(I KNOW, I KNOW....but i had to cook that day, so I figured, "the old one worked, plus, I think I'm more concerned about having a brand new clutch and pressure plate and bearings.....with an old arse leaking master and slave". Eh? lol.

By the way, I LOVE that video you did, Bleeder! Pretty Professional looking, too! No one answered me as to how I can load a video from a Digital Tape Camcorder to a disc or PC or something, .....so I guess I'll just use my Coolpix....hope it's ok, lol.

ANYWHOOOOOOOOO, DANG I'M NERVOUS, but more so, ....excited, I guess!hahhaa.

Take care, Guys, I'm out for the night, most likely.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
chef.....is today the day.

let me tell you how gooooooooood it felt to turn the key. real good.

it was nice and very important for me to have some help right there at the end by XXXTREME22R helping make sense of the vacuum lines and setting the valves for me and telling me what to do to build oil pressure by cranking it with the coil wire off until my oil light (dummy lights only) went out.

then, with a quick turn of the key, she started up...a quick poof of blue / white smoke, i assume as the assembly lube on the cylinder walls burned off and that was it.....2 small water leaks of hoses i neglected to tighten up (at all) and then a few tense moments as the system purged the air through the radiator and loped the idle a few times because of the air....but as i had pointed out to XXXTREME22R, i felt i was in good shape because of my double-valved thermostat allowing air to pass it by.

good luck today and i will keep watching. thanks for the encouragement too during this.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-21-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to hear the results!!! I havent commented much, been consumed with work and training, sucks, but hey, I got a paycheck coming in now!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
It's your turn Chef. Lets get this sucker running today!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Well, I"m a bit, ...NO, HUGELY upset, lol. The wrap around pipe that goes into the rear firewall, wraps around the passenger side of the block, bolting into the bottom of the head? LEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!! Not horribly, but I'm sure, under pressure, IT WOULD get worse...and I'm curious........is that an oil pipe? I could have sworn it was a water pipe, and at this point, guys, I'm not sure if I'll have to tear down the intake again, or if I can get to it from the pass. side.

Sorry, hoped to have had a video for you guys by now, but I guess it's good that I found it before running it on initial break in for 20 minutes, possibly running it dry!~

ANY IDEAS? PLEASE?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM

is it this PITA one.....is it leaking from this joint?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:14 PM

under and between injectors #2 and #3 right???
Old 05-21-2010, 02:16 PM

no oil in that pipe...it's a water pipe..runs parallel with a pipe fro the exhaust to the REED valve.......the one i have pictured runs from the head on the passenger's side to a water hose going up and eventually into the firewall.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

i had no gasket for that one, as i've heard others say...i just spooged some black rtv on there and squeezed it together good with the vice grips as i could not get both bolts in at the same time..1 or the other but not both.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

It looks like some coolant, too, and I'm just going to step back and take a breath, man....I'm SO THOROUGH, but some things just don't cooperate, ya know? I'm going to put some black rtv on it if i can get it off enough to get some stuff on there.....I REALLY don't want to tear this all down again. DANG!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:32 PM

it's a tight G-D fit there....you might be better off (don't kill me) taking the lower manifold off again????......not sure if you can bully that pipe down much if at all since it is bolted to the back of the head.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM

SORRY, had to go back a page, .......hadn't seen your posts. Ok, so, why is there what looks like oil leaking from there? It could be that it's all coolant, just clean to I've not noticed till it started leaking forward a lil...but my motor is a lil different. I do have one that goes around the other side, from near the same spot in the firewall, to the back of the timing cover....and then this one, yes, on the intake side, below the injectors. I got a new o-ring for it from toyota and everything,.....and FUDGE if it's not leaking! Under pressure, it'd leak like a pig I'm sure, so I guess I have to try and get it down enough to get some crap on it. Ya know, ....why would there be coolant in that, at this point? I've not turned it over.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:39 PM

good luck...i will keep tuned in
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 PM

IT'S NOT oil, thank god. The no detergent oil smells like a AZ dump site, lol. The coolant is thinner but lil viscous, because of the solvent in it.......OK, so, I guess it's just clean 50/50, I PRAY, because i can figure why OIL would be in that pipe!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to try, 92, to do it where it is, and I can loosen the pipe on the back of the head, ....I figured out a method with a special wrench I bent, ....but IT WOULD be a PITA, no doubt! HOLY CRAP this sucks......but I suppose, i should be happy that it didn't just spontaneously combust or WORSE......."if I didn't notice"....nah, I'D NOTICE, lol. Like you, I've LEARNED this motor, pretty well, and I KNEW, right off, it was something like that STUPID pipe!

Sorry, I don't mean to bitch, just ticked.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:47 PM

nope...no prob....i'm still like crippled-sore from 2 days ago...so i know how hard it is...

some reference material so you don't have to look

Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM

thanks, man! I got one bolt out, working on the other, and that second pipe, on the back of your block? I don't have that one. It's for post 88 or something.

WISH ME LUCK, ima need it, and I have a HUGE DAY tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Chef you're so close!!! You can do it!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Ok, I have a half of an update! BUT FIRST, I WANT TO ASK......PLEASE PRAY! lol.

The bolts came right out, and I dried it up pretty well, THEN..........'DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNNNN', LOL.....I SLABBED on some rtv, because toyota bud of mine,.....he's been there 20 years....SWEARS there is no gasket in the catalog for that one....and just that rubber-o-ring seal. Soooooooooo, thennnnnnnnn, DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNN, lol, the bolts went right back in! I loosened the bolt on the back of the block just barely, popped it off, once the bolts were out, then used a handle free ratchet to sling them up in there as QUICK as possible......(PRAYING I got it as dry as possible).....then snugged them down with a shorty ratchet.
>
>
>
>
>
NOW, ....I WAIT........................ AND IN THE MEANTIME, I might as well post my WAY TOO EARLY video of where I was, earlier.........

and some pics, lol........

The empty Garage syndrome I've heard of from 92, and now relate to......

And the lil "NOT READY TO START IT YET" video.........

Quick Reply: ChefYota4x4's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread