86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Its fun designing new stuff, keep up the good work! I am interested in seeing how you will interface the factory crossshaft with the poly bushings into your new arms. The way the bushings fit into the factory steel shells is unique. Creating custom bushings may not be an option. I approached energy suspension to have some reproductions made for the discontinued Rancho arms and unless I was ordering them in the thousands it was a dead end. You might want to press the steel shells out of a pair of factory UCAs and weld them into some tube? Or find some universal bushings and design the fitment around the universal bushings. Maybe forgo using the factory crosshafts and use some some hiem joints and weld some tabs to the frame? I was wanting to tear into the Downey or TC design and see how they did the bushings on the factory crossshafts but decided to stick with the factory bushing design to keep cost and ease of servicable / replacable componants user friendly.
I plan on using the stock arm. I am just going to build off of it to make it the desired length. At some point I would like to make a new set of arms.Your knowledge on the bushing set up is a good thing to know.Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 PM

I was looking at my CADD file of the UCA Extension Brackets and could revise it to meet your specifications. I drew a +4" UCA a while back that turned out nice. Drawing a +4.625" with a .500" back and a 2.000" drop shouldn't be a problem. I would charge you the standard $200 for the brackets themselves and a CADD drafting fee. My CADD rate is $85 an hour. It should take me about an hour to draw it up and another hour to convert the file to work with the laser cutter and to do the coordination.
I was wondering if it was fie-sable for you to build an ext. to specs. I know i would be way ahead on time if i had you make them and I will keep it in mind. would there be a cadd drafting fee for an + 4.652''extension bracket that is your specifications ? At this point I am having fun cutting and welding on stuff that I can send to the recycle if it doesn't turn out. Thanks .
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me to stray away from anything different than the standard Blazeland UCA Extension Bracket would require a revision of the cadd file and some converting and coordination with the laser cutter outfit that I do business with. I am confident in the modifications you specify will achieve a favorable performance outcome but it would be a "One-Off" creation and I doubt it would be a sell-able item. The +5 UCA Extension Bracket also means a redisign on the LCAs and Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves. I think a +5 width isn't realistic for streetability for most people. Also the +5 width means custom CV axles. I concede your creation outperforms the standard Blazeland design in many ways but in terms of cost effectiveness and simplicity it may not be viable for the average joe.

I think building a completely new UCA is the way to go for your situation and it will open many options for shock upgrades and strenght improvements. Consider building a coil over conversion or coil over assist to take the load off the UCAs. A +5 UCA Extension Bracket bolted to a stock arm (especially when using T-bars) may even be pushing the limit? At some point the fulcrum arm gets too long, and without beefing it up, it will break.

Originally Posted by ccraviotto
I was wondering if it was fie-sable for you to build an ext. to specs. I know i would be way ahead on time if i had you make them and I will keep it in mind. would there be a cadd drafting fee for an + 4.652''extension bracket that is your specifications ? At this point I am having fun cutting and welding on stuff that I can send to the recycle if it doesn't turn out. Thanks .
Old 07-03-2011, 07:39 PM

I had a crazy idea to install the 4" DB lift bracket further forward to stretch the wheelbase a little and greatly improve approach angle from stock IFS. Might be worth doing if you're doing all this custom fab for center mount already.

It would require a different extension bracket though to move the top of the spindle forward. Also, some custom shock mounts, but that's to be expected.

I have a DB lift on the way and might mess around with the concept some
Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by drew02a
I had a crazy idea to install the 4" DB lift bracket further forward to stretch the wheelbase a little and greatly improve approach angle from stock IFS. Might be worth doing if you're doing all this custom fab for center mount already.

It would require a different extension bracket though to move the top of the spindle forward. Also, some custom shock mounts, but that's to be expected.

I have a DB lift on the way and might mess around with the concept some
I am working on a very similar idea. I like to run 37 inch tires with extra caster to help with street characteristics. At first i was moving the top ball joint back for the added caster.The draw back was that i was pushing the tire back into the fire wall. I started thinking I could build a lower a arm that would move the lower ball joint forward and see if blazeland could build me a longer extension bracket with standard ball joint placement but the cad fees took the price up to 370 dollars. Back to the drawing table. I am going to build a lower a arm that places the ball joint 2 inches forward and a top a arm that is 1.5 inches forward. You may need to move steering forward.That is done daily on straight axle trucks prity straight forward.I have a lot of ideas for my ifs trucks I would like to hear more of yours and others.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:49 PM

any updates. the silence is killing me. watching you guy build is the only thing keeping me going. Blazeland what was the final specs and cost for a customer to go brracket lift, uca, lca and axles from you.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by eric924run
any updates. the silence is killing me. watching you guy build is the only thing keeping me going. Blazeland what was the final specs and cost for a customer to go brracket lift, uca, lca and axles from you.
i am geting ready for a 3 day wheeling trip in the tillamook forest, bent up a rack for my spare and coolers. i have ben driving the ifs truck almost every day and have some plans for some changes.will post soon.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM

You would want to buy the Long Arm Kit at $999. I do not sell bracket lift kits, Shocks, TBs, or CV axles. Those items are widely available through other suppliers. I would just be a middleman if I were to sell them.

Originally Posted by eric924run
Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 AM

Running up to a 37" tire with a drop bracket kit and Blazeland Long Arms is feasable in the present form. To go with something larger then moving the whole assembly forward like your proposing makes sense. If your going to modify a stock LCA perhaps lenghtening the rear leg longer will angle the spindle forward. You will have to do some trigonometry and geometry to calculate the lengths and angles. I can redraw the UCA extension bracket to move the upper forward as desired or you can build your own completly new UCAs. Like Cravottio said, steering linkage needs to be addressed but is possible. I can help out if you privide me the specs. I enjoy doing this kind of R&D but unfortunatly I need to make it worth my time. I am not in a position to volunteer my time for free. And when it comes to having my prototype designs laser cut my vender is booked up and charges a premium. I am small potatos to him, especially now that he has military contracts and large volume customers. I would invest in a small CNC plasma cutter if I had the funds and space but I don't.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM

...I can help out if you privide me the specs. I enjoy doing this kind of R&D but unfortunatly I need to make it worth my time. I am not in a position to volunteer my time for free. And when it comes to having my prototype designs laser cut my vender is booked up and charges a premium. I am small potatos to him, especially now that he has military contracts and large volume customers. I would invest in a small CNC plasma cutter if I had the funds and space but I don't.
Would you be able to pass the modified CAD drawings along to my fabricator down here?

I can sign a non-compete, non-disclosure or whatever if you're worried about someone else manufacturing them

Last edited by drew02a; 07-05-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM

The more I think about this the more I am not wanting to get involved in modifieing the Blazeland UCA Extension Brackets in this way. Five inches extended out, forward two inches,and drop it down x inches is asking to much for the factory arms and for the Bracket Design. These kind of modifications require completly new arms. There are so many other issues to consider as well to get the geometry right.

Originally Posted by drew02a
Would you be able to pass the modified CAD drawings along to my fabricator down here?

I can sign a non-compete, non-disclosure or whatever if you're worried about someone else manufacturing them
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Probably a good idea, lol
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM

I started making a spare cv axle for my center diff build 4 runner so i thought it would be cool to takes some pics and share.Cut the shaft in two with a cut off wheel. Than start building up the axle using 120 wall dom tubing.The axle Is a approximately 1.25 outside diameter.so my first piece is 1.50 out side diameter.also I leave it long so me end weld is on the inside of tubing.I put 3 plug welds to help ,[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ccraviotto; 07-13-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM

My next step is to slide a piece of 1.75 120 wall dom over the 1.50.if you look at the pic you can see that the 1.50 is welded to the end of the axle.The tubing fits tight so it must be clean of slag and grind the plugs smooth.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ccraviotto; 07-13-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM

I drill for my plug weld with my second sleeve in place drilling through both.I use a larger hole for my plug than this.[IMG][/IMG].
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM

More of the same. when i add the second sleeve I make it longer than the first so when i weld it the weld connects with the axle first sleeve and outer sleeve. To sum it up when i am done welding there are four welds all the way around the axle and 3 plug welds holding sleeve to axle. I hope the heat don'tkill the axle??[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM

This is what it looks like with both sleeves burned into place[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Now its just like building a drive line. my final extension tube is 2 inch 120 wall dom tubing.I am debating on welding the ends or welding ends and pug welding. Any thoughts?[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ccraviotto; 07-14-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Very cool!

Any reason that you're bumping up to that much larger diameter for your actual extension tube? Seems to me that the added complexity of the 2 sleeves would just create more failure points, but I'm definitely a rank amateur at that kind of fab work....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Numbchux
Very cool!

Any reason that you're bumping up to that much larger diameter for your actual extension tube? Seems to me that the added complexity of the 2 sleeves would just create more failure points, but I'm definitely a rank amateur at that kind of fab work....
Thanks.My buddy builds a lot of cages using 120 wall DOM, all those pieces are from the scrap pile I get for free. I felt that any thing smaller than two inch 120 wall would not be strong enough. I see your point on more failing points. I would like to try and sleeve a set using 1.75 250 wall DOM but not ready to fork out cash at this point. my sleeved axes are starting to earn some respect from our group but still a lot of speculation.

Quick Reply: ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread