86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a kick a$$ build. I love the amount of travel you have.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
I've got progress on my center mount diff build. The driveshaft from a 1986 4 Runner doesn't have the ability to extend over and down for this geometry. The good news is I have a driveshaft from a T-100 SAS sitting around that does. It has a much higher angle as you can see in the photo. But nothing is that easy..... turns out the 4 banger transfer case output flange has a different bolt pattern than the T-100 V6. So I had to machine in the correct bolt pattern. FYI- Marlin Crawler has a replacement one with multiple patterns for those of you without access to a mill. That said the T-100 driveshaft works great.

The next order of business is to mock up a longer CV. I placed a few CVs side by side. Stock, T-100, and the Center Mount. The mock up C.M. CV is just a PVC pipe, some couplers, and hose clamps. I cycled the suspension and found the proper length. The angle of the CV is much reduced as is the plunge in the inner tripod barrel. Lastly I sleeved a set of CVs with steel tube welded in place. Today I will be doing a road test. I'll post the results in a bit.
I use the stock drive line with my set up. It had flex and length to spare.One thing i have found is that the front ifs drive line fills like it is maxed out when its not.It gets a wear grove from being in a fix position for so many years. what we do is work it down and or side to side with a considerable amount of force.we have done this on sevrale straigt axle conversion. I do relize are set up could have the diff flang at diffrent angles and diffrent heigth or drop. I took out my motor drop when I rebuilt it last month. my front drive line specs 15% down slope .80 % pinion angele{No spec on crossover angle }?? Top of pinion flange 4.75 inch from bottom of tranny bellhousing IF i new factory pinion angle I could figure out how much i turned my third up??? any one know this?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats some good information on the wear groove. The front driveshaft from my 1986 4 Runner didn't seem like it could achieve the down angle with the added crossover, but maybe it could be broken in? Anyway, the T-100 drive shaft had plenty of angle so I am just going to use that. FYI- Tim Lund did a write up in 4WD Toyota Owner Magizine on some drive shaft specs a while back. I couldn't find it in my back issues; I am missing a few issues. Anyone out there who can find it please let us know what issue it was in?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM

I blew apart those sleeeved CV axles I mocked up! The wall thickness was only 1/16" so its not like it took much. They tore apart on the second hill climb on last weekends offroad outing. I am glad it didn't come apart on the freeway at 70 MPH durring the high speed test run I did a few weeks ago. Anyway they served their purpose- to determine the length and geometry limitations. I am having the new custom shafts machined out of 4130 and then heat treated. I'll have the pictured CV assemblies torn down and rebuilt with the new shafts. These were the original Toyota CVs so they should hold up much better than the aftermarket junk from China.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
mmm taffy, lol
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

In order to achieve 15 plus inches of wheel travel you must modified the tripod cup.I used a 4.5 inch grinder with a worn down wheel to remove the material.now my axle can drop to 28 degress befor contact with outer cup.Some of the pics are pure mock-up.
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-254.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-253.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-281.jpg  

Last edited by ccraviotto; 04-19-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM

A few more pics of modified cups.I tried to shorten one. That did not work the axle falls out when suspension is compresed.I put it in a band saw, Those cups are supper hard it took like an hour to cut in two.Any ways I hope the pics show what needs to be done.
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-015.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-016.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-11-22-10-cv-build-017.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 AM

That is just what I was thinking about doing! I am not needing the full 28 degrees so I may dial it back a bit from what you are showing. I estimate to get 14" of travel I would need about 25 degrees on the angle. Currently I am getting 13" of travel at 22 degrees. Are you getting 15" of travel with the +5" LCAs or with the +3.5 LCAs? I am trying to get my design standardized to work with the Blazeland Long Arm Design so others can follow. Keyword Search: Blazeland2011

Last edited by BlazeN8; 04-20-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice. love how the front end looks with longer arms
Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 PM

That is just what I was thinking about doing! I am not needing the full 28 degrees so I may dial it back a bit from what you are showing. I estimate to get 14" of travel I would need about 25 degrees on the angle. Currently I am getting 13" of travel at 22 degrees. Are you getting 15" of travel with the +5" LCAs or with the +3.5 LCAs? I am trying to get my design standardized to work with the Blazeland Long Arm Design so others can follow. Keyword Search: Blazeland2011
with the 5.25 LCAs.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ccraviotto
In order to achieve 15 plus inches of wheel travel you must modified the tripod cup.I used a 4.5 inch grinder with a worn down wheel to remove the material.now my axle can drop to 28 degress befor contact with outer cup.Some of the pics are pure mock-up.
If you look at the pics from post 86 you will see that it is before center diff.I had my droop stops set so the axle was maxing out at 28 degrees.I never did check what degree the LCAs were at when at full droop .By my pictures they look close to the same degree of the axle.Today i put a degree finder on my tuned setup with center mount.My lower armes now droop to 34 degrees and my cv axle are at 25 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-center-build-angel-051.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-center-build-angel-019.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-center-build-angel-002.jpg  

Last edited by ccraviotto; 04-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
that is totally awesome man. So how long until Total Chaos and the other mans. start this up as a kit. If Blaze land keep going at the pace it is. No one will even consider the other Mans. Blazeland kit rules in my book. Ho and good job sharing on all the info. with your center mount diff ccraviotto
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 AM

I am picking up my custom cv axle shafts on tuesday. Because this a prototype and a "One-Off" its going to cost a pretty penny. If I order a quantity of (10) pairs the price per pair comes down a bit. Don't hold me to this price but whan I factor in profit, and return on R&D, the price will be about $600 per pair. I cannot front $6,000 to establish an inventory. Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Cassidy thanks for the photos of the latest on your findings. I am curious as to how you modified the Blazeland UCA Extension Brackets. It looks like you bolted an extension onto the extension? With +5 arms and 37x14.50 tires the extra leverage and weight would make me nervous. That is so impressive your sleeved CVs are holding up. You should go into business sleeving CV shafts. I could send you my specs on the ones that work with that standard length Blazeland Long Arms. Also think about offering the sleeved shafts assembled and rebuilt, so we (the users) don't have to farm out the rebuilding. Contact me off line and we can talk shop.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Wow what an amazing thread I am impressed
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 AM

subscribed...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I am picking up my custom cv axle shafts on tuesday. Because this a prototype and a "One-Off" its going to cost a pretty penny. If I order a quantity of (10) pairs the price per pair comes down a bit. Don't hold me to this price but whan I factor in profit, and return on R&D, the price will be about $600 per pair. I cannot front $6,000 to establish an inventory. Any thoughts?
I'm a bit interested....

What diff would these be designed to use?

I intend to stay IFS, and would love to maximize my travel. Although I think the oil pan on my 4.3 would make center-mounting the diff fairly difficult. Doable, but I doubt I'll be ready for that step any time soon.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 PM

I was thinking that I would use a Long inner axle from a straight axle truck. The 27 spline end locks into a IFS berf like it was built for them. The axle looks like it could be cut and splined for the tripod end.The Tripod end has funny splines. Did your axle builder have any problem cutting them?
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-converting-stright-axle-ifs-018.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-converting-stright-axle-ifs-017.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-converting-stright-axle-ifs-013.jpg  

Last edited by ccraviotto; 04-27-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Cassidy thanks for the photos of the latest on your findings. I am curious as to how you modified the Blazeland UCA Extension Brackets. It looks like you bolted an extension onto the extension? With +5 arms and 37x14.50 tires the extra leverage and weight would make me nervous. That is so impressive your sleeved CVs are holding up. You should go into business sleeving CV shafts. I could send you my specs on the ones that work with that standard length Blazeland Long Arms. Also think about offering the sleeved shafts assembled and rebuilt, so we (the users) don't have to farm out the rebuilding. Contact me off line and we can talk shop.
Yes I did bolt a plate to your extension. A few small welds also.I wanted to try this set up before building a different a arm. I used 1/2 inch flat plate . my plane was to place the top ball joint as close to the tire as possibly {deep backspacing 4.25 I think}I also moved the ball joint back some.I had to grind on the ball joint some for clearance see pic.I fill that there is so much separation with the 4 inch lift that the top ball joint and A arm has a lot of mechanical advantage. I started making a jig for a cleaner looking top a arm.
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-center-build-angel-053.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-blazeland-ext.-018.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-blazeland-ext.-006.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ccraviotto
I was thinking that I would use a Long inner axle from a straight axle truck. The 27 spline end locks into a IFS berf like it was built for them. The axle looks like it could be cut and splined for the tripod end.The Tripod end has funny splines. Did your axle builder have any problem cutting them?
after some closer measurements it looks like the 30 spline end is to small to be splined for the tripod end.Looks like i will be stayinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQUQdUdk9E with my sleeved axles. They hold up anyways.
Attached Thumbnails ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-sleeve-test-009.jpg   ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread-sleeve-test-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: ccraviotto's 1987 4Runner Long Travel Build-Up Thread