86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES I finally got logged in again

I installed the inclino finally! Big thanks to irab88 for helping me locate a bracket and even shipping it to me.

OH and I've discovered a minor exhaust leak.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 PM

yeehaw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swv_84qpDN4
Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like my old John Deer! hehehe. Still a beauty.... Tell ya what, ...I'LL TAKE IT, ....no really, it's ok.... Drive it over and I'll take you home in mine, so you don't, you know, waste your time with it any more hahahaha.

Cool video.... I think mine is doing that at the front side of the muflfer, lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM

thats ok i love my truck... oh yea! I also installed a viper alarm I got for free. chirp chirp allll dayyy
Old 08-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Really nice truck. Could you post your paint code? I'm seriously thinking I'll paint mine that colour when the time comes.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM

get your own paint code! I kid but seriously I have no idea.. I gave the truck to some friends I know and said, paint it gray but just a little darker please.. I'll have to ask him when he gets back from Sturgis.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Thanks, would really appreciate whatever info your buddy could give me.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
thats ok i love my truck... oh yea! I also installed a viper alarm I got for free. chirp chirp allll dayyy
Hey, ... did you do any write up on the alarm install? Door locks and all? Remote start? Yadda yadda, blah blah? hahaha.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM

no write up :/ I'm sorry.
It had the lock solenoids in it.. and a used car at my dealership had an older viper system installed so i yanked it out..

I can tell you where it is though.. I installed the computer..reciever deal into the left kick panel.. My dad said when he was a yota tech back in the late 80s early 90s thats where they always went... put the speaker in the engine bay.. took maybe an hour or two.. no big deal its scary looking.. but realistically power and ground for everything. This one has door locks, alarm and kill switch.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 PM

you guys should add me on facebook if you have it!
Sometimes I can't log into yotatech.. but I'm always on facebook... updates for all my vehicles go there. facebook.com/blake.fogt
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM

dude you got one of the best looking 4runners out there. very nice work
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM

thanks boss! I hated that sound so much, I ripped the tail pipe off completely.. Little stinky but sounds good
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

couple issues that I need to clear up whenever I stop being lazy..

1. I see coolant leaking out the bottom of the Throttle Body.. but starting above the hose.. Does this mean the TB needs to be replaced? If so, any thoughts on dropping the 300 and getting the big bore?

2. Upon Initial Cold start up.. (not having run for 2 or so hours) If I don't give it any gas, it will start and die instantly. When if i do give it some blips from the gas pedal it sounds like it bogs down or floods.. Does that sound like the IACV to you? should I just hit up toyota and try to buy a brand new one?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont know much bout the big bore but i heard its not much gain. the MAF is so much more restrictive. i would see about using a larger one from a different toyota model before doing anything else after it

imo i dont think 2 hours is enough to be considered cold start. after 2 hours with mine it doesnt even idle up as if its a cold start. i could be wrong but dont throw parts at it till you know for sure.

little stuff like what your having can take a while to figure. most just throw parts at it till its gone.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 PM

What happened to your bezel? its missing the pieces around the headlights
Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 PM

mine are chrome.. and I dont have any chrome on the truck... so until i paint them, they look fine in my garage :p

Last edited by blakefogt; 08-16-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
dont know much bout the big bore but i heard its not much gain. the MAF is so much more restrictive. i would see about using a larger one from a different toyota model before doing anything else after it

imo i dont think 2 hours is enough to be considered cold start. after 2 hours with mine it doesnt even idle up as if its a cold start. i could be wrong but dont throw parts at it till you know for sure.

little stuff like what your having can take a while to figure. most just throw parts at it till its gone.
ok.. so let me know when you come up on an 82 supra and I'll do the swap.
and ignore the 2 hours, i was just throwing a number out there. I mean dead cold. like starting after work.. or when i wake up.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
what color did you paint your truck? just the factory color?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM

the body shop was trying to match factory... So pretty close to it. Lots of sparkles :p
Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by blakefogt
couple issues that I need to clear up whenever I stop being lazy..

1. I see coolant leaking out the bottom of the Throttle Body.. but starting above the hose.. Does this mean the TB needs to be replaced? If so, any thoughts on dropping the 300 and getting the big bore?

2. Upon Initial Cold start up.. (not having run for 2 or so hours) If I don't give it any gas, it will start and die instantly. When if i do give it some blips from the gas pedal it sounds like it bogs down or floods.. Does that sound like the IACV to you? should I just hit up toyota and try to buy a brand new one?
I would not think the IACV has anything to do with that.... If anything, it just get's out of the way when it's caput(Meaning; It will just no longer "IDLE UP".... rather, it will just start at 750rpm and stay there).

The IACV basically bypasses the preset throttle stop plate when cold. It does this by staying open between the 2 large vacuum hoses attached to itself, front and back. That arm inside is controlled by 'coolant temp'. As the coolant is heating UP to 96*F(somewhere around there)... it slowly closes that arm/closing the gate that's allowing more "AIR" to be pulled in through to the plenum(the front big hose) through the IACV and then into the plenum, directly(via the REAR big hose). I wound up with a new one only because mine failed all the advanced tests... And basically, the 'bi-metallic arm' controlled by coolant temp had worn out(There is also a small spring inside that pulls on that gate... As there is also a small diameter hole in the gate, even once it's closed). I have some pics of this stuff in my troubleshooting thread or build thread.... SOMEWHERE, being the key word! lol.

That condition you're experiencing when cold could be many things, but doubtfully the IACV... Could be IGN related, EFI related or even Sensor related/via either the EFI loop. Even the AFM can malfunction related to Ambient Temp or other readings it's getting. Also, ...remember the AFM gate/flap, as it opens, activates the fuel pump when the key is turned over(maybe even in STA position).

How's the fuel filter?

Gotta start doing a decent Process Of Elimination, Blake. Bust out the Troubleshooting section of the FSM, homie.

Quick Reply: blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread