86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93 pickup cheap truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 pickup cheap truck

Hi ya'll my name is Cody. I've been a lingering guest on here for a little bit but I finally signed up since I look on here so much. But anyways a little info on myself I'm a newer Toyota tech and Toyota enthusiast. I've always been a jeep guy. Yeah I know I might catch some crap on here bc of that but oh well. Anyways I was introduced into the offroading world back when I was in highschool when i bought my first jeep and have been addicted ever since anyways I bought a fishing boat and the jeep just wasn't cutting it on pulling it all over the place so about a year ago and I had to sell it... but i bought a 2002 Toyota tundra. Completely stock and below is a pic of what it looks like after 3 month's. I need a more recent pic anyways I then picked up a completely stock 93 Toyota pickup this past January at work. Its a 4x4 5 speed with the 22r and it had a low 65xxx when i got it. I picked the truck up for 500 bucks from a customer at work bc the frame had a hole in it and the control arms were almost rusted in half. So he did not want it anymore bc it was not safe and didn't want to put any money in it. He was also the original owner. So I got this thing for a steal in my eyes. Below are pictures of when i first got it.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130512_234207.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130512_233028.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130512_233056.png
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM

But soon as I got it I ripped off those old people running boards

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130512_235013.png

I then was able to get a set of control arms off of eBay from a salvage yard in Washington I believe and they assured me they were 100 percent rust free. So i ordered 4 at $60 a pop. And let me tell you I was so beyond shocked how clean they were they looked brand new. I wish I would've taken pictures here in Ohio you can buy used parts without rust on them. So i was happy to replaced the arms then. And man was it a pain. the lowers bj due to the nuts that attach the Bj to the control arms were so rusted and corroded away I had to cut and use an air hammer just to break the lower nuts off. I didn't replace the lowers at this point bc I didn't think they'd be that hard to get off and the bj had zero play so i was trying to save money but looking back that was stupid since I just replaced them this past weekend bc the one had a tad bit of play after I used an air hammer and pickle fork on it to remove it.

I then drove it a little bit, then I wanted to fix the frame and the whole truck frame had only one soft area wish i took pictures of it sorry. But it was on the drivers side right at the rear cab mount. The truck had an after market exhaust on it. So i suspect the exhaust leaked for awhile and it blew on the frame for some time and accelerated the rust.it took me about a month to fix it and paint it all up. Due to the weather and temperature fluctuating so much. But here it is without the bed.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130512_235735.png

Also has my newer taco wheels on it I like em. But about a month ago now I went and bought some 265/75/16 Kenda mt tires due to them being cheap and reading some good reviews and hearing good things about them. Also painted the wheels black. I have now been driving it for a little over a month trying to work out and fix all the quirks and makes sure its safe to start wheeling since I'll be driving it to and from the trails and off-road parks.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130513_000009.png

The same day I took it thru my buddies property and went thru our mud pit we made couple years ago just to try out the new tires. But thats about where it sits now. Oh I also picked up a free smitty built rear bumper on it to. At this point I've got about 1500 into it now. Which I think is great.

My future plans which is gonna be happening over the next couple weeks are crawlers 1.5 Bj spacers then I'm gonna get AutoZone shackles for the rear and do a u bolt flip and rear shock relocation. also I need to get some new shocks all around. I'm gonna go to southington off-road at the beginning of June so I need to get some stuff done. but I hope you all enjoyed this thus far. And stayed tuned! I'll start taking more pics now that I've started a build thread.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Well i just ordered my bj spacers from 4crawler tonight pretty excited to get them. So once I get them I'll figure out the shock length I need and how high I need to raise the back to make level or higher. That offroad event is getting closer and closer and i cannot wait for it.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post more of that Tundra!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:51 PM

500 bucks for something with that little rust is a steal in my eyes! you should see my 85 i picked up for 500 , would love to see the control arms before and after

Last edited by mrbcyota92; 05-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM

I wish I would've taken pictures of the old control arms the only part that was holding the uppers together slightly were the top pieces of the control arms the sides on both tops were wasted and the lowers didn't have a bottom anymore. But I'll take pics of the newer ones. I wish i lived down south after I got the arms. The only bit of rust they had were where someone scratched where the ball joint went in. But i was able to remove it with a scotch bright pad. I got them from b&r auto wrecking search them up on eBay if you want great priced rust free parts. And I'll post more pictures of my tundra and pickup tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Well everytime I work on this thing I forget to take pictures but i'll update pictures soon hopefully. Anyways I got my bj spacers installed front sits a little higher then the rear now... so I have some extended shackles to put on it but I also got a set of newer Tacoma leaf springs I think I'm gonna put on due to the fact that I can't get the bolts out of the stock leaf springs. I did everything but heat em. So i hate to put bushings in a pair of old leaf springs especially when I got the taco leaf springs that are practically brand new. So i gotta get those on I also need to try to get all of the tie rod sleeves loose so i can do an alignment. Thats gonna be fun. I just need to get the torches back from my uncles or use the small propane torch.... but i'll update pictures soon. I also ran into some extra funds so i have started the task of taking my clutch out. But i promise will update with pictures soon.

Oh I also got two new Rancho shocks for the front only reason I went with them is they seemed to have the right compression and extension length I needed like exactly. So hopefully they'll work good offroad. I don't really care about ride quality thats why I got the tundra if I want a nice smooth ride.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 PM

Well I went to southington off road this weekend and it was such a blast I only got stuck once and almost made it up a hill where they recommend 33's but this was my first time wheeling this truck and ifs since I come from a jeep background. But oh I took a vacation day Friday so I could have a 3 day weekend for memorial day then work 3 days and have another 3 day weekend it was nice anyways so Thursday afternoon I replaced my clutch which actually wasn't to bad besides not using a lift like I do at work. But I put a new Napa clutch and flywheel in it. Just bc it still had the original one and it made a noise when I took off. But anyways southington was awesome the little truck impressed me. It was my second time ever there first time I took a 95 Cherokee that was lifted with 33's. But yes I was very surprised by this little truck pictures will follow.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212626.png
as it sits now. I got the roll bar from work never been a huge fan but it was free and I wanted a light to light up the bed and the road/path ahead of me better so it works.
Also the diamond plate bed side rails I got from a guy at work that use to wheel Toyota's he just wanted them out of his garage I don't think they look to bad.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212651.png
the group for the day bunch of nice people as you can tell I'm the only Toyota in the group I did a few more things the the 2 stockers did.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212741.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212714.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212827.png

3 pictures below this are pictures of the only place I got stuck. I need lockers and bigger tires already.. put lockers would've gotten me past this at least one in the front.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212848.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212913.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212947.png
cool picture of the back of my truck on the trail called wall crawl.
Attached Thumbnails 93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130602_212811.png  

Last edited by tundup93; 06-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM

title should be called 93 pickup "reliable toyota 4x4" truck instead of cheap hehe
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice truck you found. And a steal of a price. I bought one just like that in the same condition with frame rot and paid 1100$

You need a "your jeep sucks" sticker for your window. Haha.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrbcyota92
title should be called 93 pickup "reliable toyota 4x4" truck instead of cheap hehe
Yeah I'm not afraid to take this thing anywhere but I did get it cheap as dirt and have less in it then most people buy their rig for and mines more capable but i get what your saying. Haha
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Very nice truck you found. And a steal of a price. I bought one just like that in the same condition with frame rot and paid 1100$

You need a "your jeep sucks" sticker for your window. Haha.
Yeah i was very lucky I was able to talk the guy into selling it that cheap to me but to him it was an kinda a inconvenience since it wasn't safe to drive at all. So I'm happy about it. And yeah i could I wish I was SAS'd though if I was rocking that sticker.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha. I hear you. I like wranglers and old cj's (used to have a 76 cj5), but I am a full blown toyota addict. Haha
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Haha. I hear you. I like wranglers and old cj's (used to have a 76 cj5), but I am a full blown toyota addict. Haha
Haha I like about any jeep except for the patriot and compass those sissy ones. But i feel like I'm getting there it really helped wheeling my truck and seeing how much I could actually do with it.

Well here's an update tonight I was about to install the leaf springs I got but i measured from eye hole to eye hole and i came out with 53 inches and my stock ones are close to 51ish does anyone know if I can still use em? I was really hoping I could cut I don't wanna cut my old bolts and leafs out then not have anything to put in. So anyone know? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Nevermind I think I'm just gonna keep the main leaf in for now and just replace the bushings and just replace the other two leaf springs and put new shackles on. Along with a u bolt flip kit from lowrange but hopefully I'll get that done soon.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:01 AM

Well I started making these yesterday instead of buying them anyone guess what they are?

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130606_095840.png

I got them all the way done just not installed yet. And i also started on some painting on the truck to eliminate more rust. But now I also have two small holes that were covered by rust...

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130606_100110.png

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130606_100049.png

Idk why they are upside down. Idk how to fix it on my phone but oh well.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Well I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and I've decided to start collecting parts for a sas I have a few things I will be selling to help fund the project. And I'm beyond excited to start it and get out on the trails. The truck did great out on the trails don't get me wrong but this doesn't have to be my DD and I'd love to have a more capable rig.

So I do have one question about the sas that I really haven't found anywhere. But will my stock driveshaft for the front work or will I be needing the driveshaft from a straight axle? Thanks for any info!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Well i may be going and picking up a straight axle Thursday. I got a set of mid 90's Tacoma wheels I'm gonna be trading the guy for. Hopefully it'll be in decent shape. Once I get that I'll sell a couple more things and will be able to buy the trail gear ifs elimination kit. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible since it is my cheap truck. So I've been selling tires I've got here at the house and other toys to fund this project. So hopefully I can get everything done soon. I won't go nuts with it right away just get it in and drivable. Then slowly build it up From there. but soon hopefully I'll be saying bye bye to the ifs.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Here it is. Beyond excited.

93 pickup cheap truck-forumrunner_20130628_211544.png

Quick Reply: 93 pickup cheap truck