Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!

-RONI-
Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks buddy!

I think I'll send some into magazines for kicks. Especially in a year or two when I've done the projects I hope to start soon.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 PM

So it looks like I've lost my clutch.

I can't get it into gear. My next update will be interesting. When its broke upgrade!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your clutch. Incredible pics. This is exactly what I want to do with my truck when it's done. Nothing but smiles in every pic, great to see.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks Dutch. I want to flat bottom mine like you've done.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, sick pics! I always love checking into your build, man, sick rig! Hope you're doing well, stay warm, hahaha
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM

So my pedal bracket is cracked wide open.

It's getting welded right now by a friend.

My camera has died though but I'll see if my camera phone can get a few of the welds and reassembly.

Thanks for the complements Chef! Staying as warm as I can up here.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM

nice outdoor shots you got there! you ever HEAR/SEE any sasquatch's on your journey's???
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks but no sasquatch. I don't know if that would be cool or not. Depends on how close I was to it and a truck door.

I see you are doing some interesting things soon. Do you have a build thread yet Rocky?

Where did you get your engine. I really badly want to do a swap. Especially for the experience I would get.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

no build thead YET but i took plenty of pictures so far. i work for toyota so i ordered a new short block and heads(along with everything else that was worn out) after hurricane sandy put the salvage yard that i was gonna get used motor from underwater.....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Look forward to seeing it.

So, my issue seems to be fixed with my pedal bracket. When I got home today though I smelt burnt brake or clutch. Seems to come from the front right tire.

Also, when the brakes where being bled at the shop. (By myself couldn't bleed the brakes so had to get help) He split brake fluid over the master cylinder and we heard air movement from somewhere on it. Does it need replacing you think?

Also it looks like I lost an axle seal on the opposite side of the one I replaced. Been in and out of there so many times it's an easy job. Just need some help getting the tire off and some of the heavier lifting. I've got a disk injury from work so any lifting until I am healed is out. It's painful AND frustrating as hell.

It is getting better though finally. I've been in pain since late August.

Anyway,

I ground that a bit smoother and reinstalled it. Went pretty well. Then I cleaned the inside of my rig to a spotless shine. Armor-all wipe and she looks pretty. I even cleaned everything I took off before putting it all back incl the inside of the ducts.

I do think I need to do some fine tuning of my pedals though.

Below are some pictures I had on my phone which lead to upcoming plans I've mentioned. We where picking parts off her enough which led to me buying it outright. I plan on cutting body panels off it where I have rust and cleaning it up. Once it's repaired I plan on cutting my rusty bit out and the fixed bit I'll weld in. Then I want to paint it.

I've also been saving for some sort of LT kit. I am leaning towards Blazeland because it is solid enough for what I do. Plus getting to the frame on my parts rig means an engine swap and SAS. I just need to fabrication skills first. I do not want to pay for something I really want to learn to do myself.

I've already got missing interior parts and the interior is much cleaner than mine. I'll replace mine with it. My buddy already got the front seats for his 1st Gen but not before I was in at the wrecker and got his seat tabs which where missing in mine.

This was before I bought it and took it home though so first in best dressed!

I had already pulled the front quarter panels as they where clean. Once I'm down to frame and learn to weld the possibilities are endless. Once thing I want to do that is a bit unusual is get it ready for a driver side swap when I do the build. Have tabs ready and holes through the firewall with a blanking plate. My soon to be wife is Australian and will make me move back there in a few years.

I'm not leaving my truck, period. I also managed to win the last name debate not too long ago. No idea why I didn't think of it sooner. I said to her that if the ˟˟˟˟ hits the fan and we struggle I know I will have to stay in Australia most of my life. If I can give up family and friends to make you happy surely it's fair to ask that you take my family name. She looked me dead straight and said "actually, that is fair". I didn't know what to say, it's been a tongue in cheek fun debate for years and I ruined it. I did win though!

Anyway, I'm taking it with me. This leads to interesting engine and modification options. I need to keep it as Toyota as possible. Australia has Toyota stuff EVERYWHERE. I like the look of my 4Runner more than the Landcruisers. What engine should I choose for ease of parts and an SAS with Landcruiser axles could be cool. Easy to find parts for them over there.

Ideas?

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DUDE!

AUSTRALIA?

OMG Toyota heaven! You can throw in a turbo diesel.....come to think of it...your truck is bad a$$ and all but you might want to trade it in once you get there lol. You could be rocking a diesel powered Toyota yute! Or 70s series Land Cruiser thst u csn never find here...

Im jealous bro...

-RONI-
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Everyone has Landcruisers there. Mine will stand out. I could get axles etc there to make an interesting build.

I also like the smaller size of the 4Runner.

I also took my dad out for a day on the lake. I have him with me for a year to help him move back to BC from the East Coast of Canada.

temporary-19.jpg?t=1358376225

temporary-21.jpg?t=1358376255

^ We have Polar Bear license plates!

Buffalo Air, just 10 minutes from my house.

Name:  temporary-18.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  547.2 KB

Name:  temporary-22.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  621.3 KB

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM

Oh and Roni, I'll bring one home when I return to Canada. I've been thinking about import/export of cars to and from Australia.

American muscle cars are VERY expensive down there.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Holy Cow! I just spent the past hour reading and looking at the amazing pictures through out your thread. Dude i cant believe ive never taken a look at your thread. Someday I would like to go out on a trip like you did. Wow, Canada is such a beautiful place. I love your progress throughout the thread Great upgrades. and that roof tent is AWESOME! i think this has become one of my top favorite threads as far as adventures go. Really sweet dude. wish you lived closer to us. or We'd definitely join you in some off-road club fun!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks!

One of our next road trips will be in the USA. My missus really wants to see as much as America as possible before she makes us move back to Australia.

I think I've set myself a solid build goal.

The best part is that I got the green light from the missus. She thinks it would be a blast. So, I think I'll get that Blazeland kit but after that it will be saving for parts. I want to get a new engine and do an SAS.

I will go bigger than a 3.4. Seeing as I have that frame I can make anything fit really. Once I learn fabrication anyway. I'd like it as low as possible while still being able to make it through the UA. If I even get a spot that is.

It will be a couple years away. It might be a last hurrah trip before I move to Australia. So if I get a spot I'll do the Ultimate Adventure then go on an American road trip. If I don't get a spot I'll still go on a massive road trip finishing in LA. At that point I will load the 4Runner onto a ship to send it to Oz.

Then I'll have to find a 4Runner wreck to do a drivers side swap.

With this in mind I will do my build keeping ease of drivers side swap in mind. Right down to holes in the right spot of the firewall and anything else I or anyone else thinks up.

Vehicle/Driver Requirements

There will be a tech inspection at check-in. Your vehicle will be inspected for all of the following equipment and paperwork. You will not be allowed to join Ultimate Adventure if your vehicle fails this inspection.

Vehicle must be road worthy and capable of sustained highway speeds of 60 mph and a fuel range of at least 150 miles.
Vehicle must be street licensed and insured, and driver must have a valid driver's license, current registration, and current proof of insurance.
Front and rear axle lockers (limited slips do not suffice)
Must be self-sufficient (bring your own spare parts, fluids, tools, food and water)
Front mounted vehicle recovery winch, and controller
Winch accessory kit (tree saver, snatch block, clevis, chain, gloves)
Rollbar with safety handles or grab bars (rollcage preferred)
Adequate first-aid kit per Red Cross requirements
Seatbelts for all occupants, always worn when vehicle is in motion
Adequate recovery tow hooks and/or shackle/clevis attachment points front and rear
Secure battery hold-down
35-inch minimum tire size and adequate spare tire
Functional parking brake
Properly working CB radio
Fire extinguisher mounted in reach of occupants
Snatch strap/recovery rope-without metal hooks
Adequate jack and jack points
Spill kit and PETT kit

Read more: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/ultimat...#ixzz2IekzKJem

The above are this upcoming years requirements.

I wonder if with some strong CV's and a centre diff if the Blazeland kit could pull off the Ultimate Adventure?

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Wow that's a ton of requirements. but i can see why they'd want everybody to be really prepared. nobody wants to wait on the guy who came unprepared. Sounds like it'll be a blast dude!

I just checked out those CVT roof rents. those things look so durable compared to other tents made out of that windbreaker material. Your's almost looks like canvas material. Went on the website and was amazed at how pricey they are. but i guess the quality is what you really pay for huh. Awesome tent dude. I WANT ONE! but i really doubt my fiberglass top would ever be able to hold one of those along with the roof rack, and both mine and my girlfriends weight.
I think a 2nd alternative for me would be one of these
https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/...product_id:40/
https://us.napieroutdoors.com/store/.../product_id:3/
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM

I want to put the tent on a trailer. Something I can extend higher to keep clear of bears in remote areas.

Having the tent up there also means easy wheeling only. Mild trails really and no mud bogging.

It is awesome though for the trip we did. Really cozy even in heavy Pacific Northwest rain.

Those requirements are going to make me learn a lot.

I want to keep as much stock Toyota stuff as possible. I'm thinking of a Toyota v8. I read something about an all aluminium engine. Honestly I've never torn into an engine before which is why I want to do a swap. Also perhaps Landcruiser axles. Not sure how well the 84 axles will hold up if the rig ends up heavy. I also don't know how common that axle is in Australia if I need parts.

I do know its Cruiser paradise there. You see them rust free all over the country. They hold their value well too. My 4Runner will stand out there. Most don't bother with an SAS if you have all those Landcruiser options.

Advise and thoughts welcome from anyone reading.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM

I Wonder if an FZ engins has gotten into a 4Runner?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FZ_engine

After an internet search it looks like a fair few 2UZ swaps have been done. So much more power though I wonder if i would be able to use my gear driven transfer case i found or my current tranny?

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-22-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM

I think I'm starting to get somewhere with research. Quite a few 2UZ swaps have been done as well as FJ80 axles. In threads I have found many tried to encourage domestic axles but if I take this to Australia like I intend I'll be better off with Toyota axles.

Frame off will be the way to go with this build.

I hope to make it as road comfortable as possible. I want to do A LOT of exploring when it's done.

Now to start looking for parts and engine information leads.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-22-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.