86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Update time!

Got some work done. Painted and installed the bumper and winch. I also found some goodies at the dump which I think are Toyota parts.

It's a transmission and a transfer case and I would love if someone could identify them.

My Hilift Jack arrived too.

[Img][/Img]

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM

I also got my hands on another parts rig.

I'm after the frame to build suspension properly from the ground up without having to have mine off the road.

It will be a good time to lift the drive train for a flat bottom. Suggestions here would be really appreciated. Still so torn on SAS or long travel IFS. It's not a hard core rock crawler as I want it for fun and expedition adventure. I think the Blazeland ones look really promising.

This is the 4Runner I already got the fenders from. The glass alone made thiswreck worth every penny.

My next step is to gut the interior to get ready for the roof rack and we are going to try and fit a 1st Gen roll bar in the back. Has anyone done this and make it work? I want to be able to separate the cargo area from the rest of the cabin. The sliders still need to get welded on too.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-04-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow nice upgrades so far. im glad you have a winch with that bumper. see too many tube bumpers with no winches is kinda pointless. good job and the tire size makes the front end look mean!!

if you wanna flat bottom without a body lift. cut into the body and raise everything up into the cab other wise a 3inch lift will get you a flat bottom
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM

It came with a 3" BL so it should all tuck nicely between the rails.

I've really enjoyed this learning experience. Thanks for the kind words.

Your thread really sold me on the Blazeland LT. All up how much did yours cost incl all the odds and ends?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 PM

yea this is my 1st off road rig so like you it was too a learning experience

from blazeland. $1387.60 taxed,core,shipped. thats including the $200 core. i wont be sending me old stuff back. since his shipping cost was around $70. i would only be getting like $130 back. oh well. than i got some t-100 axle from O Reilly. i got new ones with my discount for $59.99 each.$129.46 taxed. than i order Bilstein 5100 # BIL24-185745 $172.74 taxed (i think)from summit racing. free brake fluid, alignment, and labor for install lol
$1387.60
$129.46
$172.74
my grand total $1779.80
than i was able to sell my old bj spacer and front ome shocks to a co work for $200 so it dropped the total price to ~$1579.80
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Was it quite a drastic change from the BJ spacers? Did you also have your T-Bars cranked?

Another task I have coming up is some body trimming.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Action shots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhSzZ36pVLg

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM

More photo's of the day up.

Had a great time out in the bush.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM

the biggest difference i have noticed since i went from bj spacers to LT was how much better the front end soaks up the bumps. i love it. the rear on the other hand is still a little stiff. im gonna leave the rear alone for now for the payload and towing ability. with bj spacers i did not crank the t bars. with the LT i had to since im still using the stock t bars because they flex that much better.

nice wheeling pictures. i just posted a few on my page if you wanna see the LT flexed out
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM

I saw those, very nice!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM

I rearranged the pics to be a sequence of the awesome day we had.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work on the runner, I love the looks of the frontend with the new bumper! Nice wheeling pics too!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM

She looks so mean now. I get less rubbing now too.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER

Action shots!

Sick rig! There's nothing like bogging through muskeg up here eh? Get's pretty sketchy at times, but it's all in the fun.

I scanned over this thread pretty quickly, but I wasn't able to find out what kind of backspacing you're running for those 35s? Also, have you done any tubbing to fit them? How much rub do you see? You're only running 1.5" BJ spacers for lift, or a body lift as well?

I've got a '92 pickup project I'm getting started on. Just got done fixing all the minor issues she had, and finally getting to the upgrades. Finished the 3" bodylift + all the extensions this weekend. Waiting on the BJ spacers to get here from SDORI... So all in all, I'll end up with 5" of lift. 3" BL + 1.5" BJ Spacers + 0.5" T-bar crank. I'm trying to figure out what all I'll need to do to run these 35s. Luckily, I haven't bought the rims yet, so I'd like to find a good number for backspacing that I don't have to do too much cutting...

Again, awesome truck! The wheeling looks amazing up in the NWT.

-Kyle
Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Brudda... that is ONE SICK RED WAGON! hahaha... Sorry bout the timing thing with Addicted... That's the 3rd time I've heard that lately. I know he was on a longer trip/show/expo thing not too long ago..... He was discussing it on this thread someone started on here, complaining about them... WOW, ... that happened to me with Rockyroadoutfitters.... Waited like 6 weeks for shocks and they still weren't close to getting shipped.. So I called ARB and they dropped shipped it that day, ... 2 days later I had my stuff.

ANYWAY, ... I kinda chuckled... cuz I REALLY WANT that bumper and not the tall stinger...... Now I know that the one you have on there ships cheaper, you say? haha...

LOOKS SICK! Sorry it's not the one you wanted... but I mean it, I think that is one of the sickest 2nd Gen 4Runners I've seen in a while! GREAT ACTION SHOTS of it, too!

Enjoying the read so far... SCRIBEDEDED!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM

Thanks fellas.

dkyleb, I will have to do some trimming of the body. The tires have already been helping with that a bit. I think my backspacing is 3.75. They are pretty deep. On top of the 4" lift in the rear and BJ spacers I have a 3" body lift. I want to relax my tortion bars though and trim fender to keep clearing the rubber.

Have you regeared for the 35's? You will want to for sure. I had stock gears with the 33's and she was gutless. BIG change with the new gears and my spedo is accurate too.

My roof rack and rails arrived yesterday from Diamondrax. It looks great and my roof tent is on the way. I also installed new battery terminal connections. I'll get photo's of them up when I get back from the mine.

I need to look into the front end too. When I corner there is a clunking since I put in the new steering stabiliser and idler arm. No idea where it is coming from? I hope it's not the steering box from tightening it. It feels like something is binding and then letting go.

Any ideas?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Oh yeah Kyle, muskeet bogs are hilarious. At least it so soft if you flop over it shouldn't cause too much damage.

Chef, thanks for the nice words. I love my Yota.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dkyleb, I will have to do some trimming of the body. The tires have already been helping with that a bit. I think my backspacing is 3.75. They are pretty deep. On top of the 4" lift in the rear and BJ spacers I have a 3" body lift. I want to relax my tortion bars though and trim fender to keep clearing the rubber.

Have you regeared for the 35's? You will want to for sure. I had stock gears with the 33's and she was gutless. BIG change with the new gears and my spedo is accurate too.
How much clearancing will you have to do to be able to tuck them? Is it pretty close? I was thinking 3.75" backspace would work, but looking closer at your rig I'm thinking that may be too much... You're running 15" wheels, correct? How close is your rim and tire to the UCA? I've heard anything closer than 4.5" will rub on the UCA.

The problem is finding that sweet spot where you're far enough out that you don't feel too tipsy, but close enough in that you're not too wide and don't have to trim too much. It's hard balance trying to find the right mixture and still being able to tuck at full lock and compression.

I'm running 4.88s right now, and plan on gearing to 5.29s and detroit for the rear in the spring. Luckily, the truck isn't my daily and get's to sit all winter while I work.

Oh yeah Kyle, muskeet bogs are hilarious. At least it so soft if you flop over it shouldn't cause too much damage.
Do you guys call it muskeet up there? I'm from central Alberta and everyone here calls it muskeg LOL. But yeah, they do get pretty fun sometimes. That is, until you're stuck enough to have 3 trucks trying to pull you... We've had a truck buried up to the window sills in that stuff. It took a CAT with a winch to get it out of where we were. That's the good thing about wheeling in the oil patch, there's always some big boy toys to pull you out somewhere!

On a side note, I got my BJ spacers in today! They're a lot bigger than I thought they were! Thanks SDORI+TRDParts4U.

-Kyle
Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 PM

It is pretty close. To clear I just need to get at the pinch welds and hammer them down. I also need to trim the rear fender closest to the tire at the part closest to the front. It hits a bit and tore up some metal. The rubber never hits up top so I hope to relax my tbars a bit.

I've never measured how much clearance I've got to the UCA as it doesnt rub. The lugs can lightly hit the idler arm at full lock though. If I fix the gouge out where the steering stops have been rubbing it wouldn't even do that. I just don't fully lock the steering to avoid that issue.

Muskeet, muskeg same thing. Everyone is from everywhere up here. I'm from Surrey BC and the fiance is Australian!

If you got up to the window sills bogging up here you are in some trouble. There is a spot where we tried to rescue some trucks last year. Both of them are still there smashed up and burnt out now. You can see where the first got stuck his buddy went to get him out and became part of the landscape.

Do you have a build thread up yet?

Last edited by Red Wagon; 08-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 AM

All the Cascadia Rooftop Tent suppliers in Canada are flaking out on me. So annoying. My trip is in a week and two days........

So choked.

Why couldn't companies be more like Diamondrax? They had a drama with my roof rack so got the welder in on the weekend to crank my rack out and get it to me in time. The dudes there are awesome so if anyone is looking for a roof rack give them a shout. They are based out of California.

Greg Steffens from Diamondrax even sent me a follow up email today asking if everything went alright.

That's customer service.

Quick Reply: 92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.