86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
thanks man...yeh..we got plenty of corn out here. sorry about yours. maybe the hurricaine can water you guys a bit.

searching a part # without success. a told it's the pressure side fuel line. can't see it or find it on any diagrams on toyotapartseast.com so i will continue looking.

we'll get it. just very frustrating for Joe. but tank goodness it all worked out the way it did and nobody got hurt.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
It's good you were with him when the trouble occurred. I'm pretty sure you have a fire extinguisher mounted in there and besides, he's a firefighter. Bummer. I guess he won't have his ride for the first day of school.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM

yeh...we got out quickly and had the fire extinguisher out too. would have been like peeing in the ocean though, it was a LOT of fuel.

he takes the bus to school anyways....so, no loss.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DAANNG! Great save, pops! I hope he's FOREVER grateful for his resourceful dad(Shhh, don't say anything, Joe, just puffing old pops up a lil bit ) hahahaha.

Seriously, SO GLAD nothing like poor "Mighty Mouse" happened!!!!

Take care, guys...and btw... he takes the bus until?????????? Is that to save GAS? So unfair, right Jerry?(not him taking the bus, just the prices he's gonna have to pay for SO MANY THINGS! ) When we were in HS, gas was what, 90 Cents a gallon? I KID YOU NOT, JOE!(And this was in 1984 for me, not 1934! hahaha).... I would take trips to Mammoth from L.A.(395hwy for 6.5 hour drive)..... MAYBE 20$ in GAS! Now the same trip costs me around 80$ or so to get there! I remember when Gas hit 1$ a gallon, Jerry.... WE FLIPPED! I actually remember the "GAS SHORTAGE"(and the movie, "GAS", hahaha).... THANKS JIMMY! lol...
Old 08-29-2012, 02:42 AM

school is about exactly 2 miles away...bus picks them up at the end of our driveway. no point in risking any problems with the truck sitting at the school. there will be days he wil take it when he stays after school for honor society stuff and other stuff.

Mark...wasn't exactly a save...as much as we were lucky...VERY LUCKY. with the amount of gas that was pouring down, I am surprised we are all still here and the truck is still here. and YES indeed, before we had even come to a stop, MIGHTYMOUSE was in my thoughts. the fire extinguisher would have been a feeble attempt and the thing would have been a total loss.

I am thankful for a lot of things right now and have to keep telling myself that.

I need part #'s though. and I wish the PNW crew was here with me too.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 AM

searching my pics, found a nice pic of just how much precaution I had taken.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 AM

some additional pics to show what a close-call this was.

the 4runner is super clean and the mud flap shows the results of gas washing away dust

and more evidence on the down-pipe portion of the header

very thankful none of this found a spark.

it's parked out in the back yard until we can wash it all down so it's not flammable any more.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 08-29-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM

so...blah-blah-blah

hosed it off and pushed it in the garage.

been trying to brainstorm and figure out how to fix this without taking the intake plenum off. but, unfortunately, it looks like we are gonna have to just replace the whole hose.

I just happened to have a connector from work here. I's something we use to extend oxygen or suction tubing. and being that the gas cans and gas tanks for the mowers are plastic, I couldn't see why this shouldn't work.

here's a pic of it...

this is the culprit section of hose. about 1 inch.

this idea hit me looking at the in-line filter on the lawn tractor. I think the concept is sound, but I'm not sure I trust the connector.

so, really, it's just sitting like this. the battery is out and at least it can't leak out the hole any more.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm very grateful for you as well!

Makes sense on the school stuff.... too close to risk things, I agree! Terribly jealous creatures the HS folk can be, .... they put sand in the tank in my 66GT/K Mustang!!!!

Best wishes on the solution hunt! Sorry you're going to have to pull the intake plenum.... but hey, at least there's an intake plenum worth removing still, right? lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM

thanks Mark. yes, at least there's something to work on.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys just caught this, wow lucky indeed. I had a pickup burn to the ground on me years ago electrical issue not gas like yours, it was just an old work truck that I didn't care much about but none the less a total loss. I would bet finding that fuel line is gonna be a pain, any chance of have some thing made maybe a little more heat resistant? Any way good luck with it I'm sure you will get fixed up better than new.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:23 PM

hey man...thanks. this could have been sooooooo bad. vry much reminding myself of that.

messing around with the idea of using this ...but in the 1/4'' size http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...a#.UD6VmqCd6So
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 AM

so...that's what I used. a double male 1/4'' barbed piece and 2 hose clamps on each end and it worked fine. just got done fixing it.

Joe and I ventured out last night to get the stuff and the store we were at did not sell header tape or anything like it. for now, i have several layers of aluminum foil providing protection.....just for the purpose of test running and letting it run a bit in the driveway. won't return it to normal duty without the header tape.

had a concern because we saw smoke coming from the passenger's side rear of the engine compartment. the one picture I had posted with what I thought was remnants of gas on the exhaust pipe was, I believe, actually the glue from the self-adhering heat wrap. I'm thinking that the gas spray released the glue and that was actually what I was seeing on the pipe and the reason for the smoke. when i pulled that piece of shielding off, the smoke stopped.

all in all I am feeling pretty good about it. just a bit hesitant to call it done and perfect.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM

alrighty. header wrap is on the whole mess of wires and fuel line. I had so painstakingly moved it carefully away from the header, but now with the whole big wad of foil and header wrap, it's right up against it again, but flameproof and well protected.

off to get a state inspection now. was supposed to do that tues or weds, but lost a few days here.

header wrap....$32, stainless zip-ties $8.....ouch.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
header wrap....$32, stainless zip-ties $8.....ouch.
yeah, but a new 4runner costs a little bit more...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Can't reroute all that stuff in a much safer location, eh? Wow, that stinks... And I'M SURE you have thought of everything you can.... Not criticizing.... I'm actually not quite sure where all this goes and comes from... But you scareded me saying "It's right on it again"....

Anyway, I'ma get me some good connectors and such when I do my breather extensions and replace a few fuel lines(mine are 25yrs old... CALIF> born... but still, it's DRY! lol).

Man, Jerry.... it been hot out there like here? SUX!!! lol. NO, honest, I love it, especially now having GREAT A/C.... but just working on them when it's such high humidity and heat.... Kinda stinks, right? lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
yeah, but a new 4runner costs a little bit more...

edzackary

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Can't reroute all that stuff in a much safer location, eh? Wow, that stinks... And I'M SURE you have thought of everything you can.... Not criticizing.... I'm actually not quite sure where all this goes and comes from... But you scareded me saying "It's right on it again"....

Anyway, I'ma get me some good connectors and such when I do my breather extensions and replace a few fuel lines(mine are 25yrs old... CALIF> born... but still, it's DRY! lol).

Man, Jerry.... it been hot out there like here? SUX!!! lol. NO, honest, I love it, especially now having GREAT A/C.... but just working on them when it's such high humidity and heat.... Kinda stinks, right? lol.
well....it's a wadded up ball of foil and header wrap and it's not doing anything. I imagine those headers don't get to 1000 degrees and that stuff is rated for 1000 direct and 2500 radiant.

as far as rerouting goes.....a very wise Russian friend suggested bending the hard line up and pointed in a different direction. possible but not do-able because I don't have a bender. my other concern was that I was going to be asking 24yr old tubing to bend the other way or so. so, I vied that down for a few reason....that one i already mentioned, and also because I was able to wire-zip-tie the whole thing closer to the fender well. I also feel it is secure against heat too.

just did about a 40 mile trek in it and it was fine.

will keep everyone posted.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 AM

well. hello.

all is well and life is chugging along.

Joe's driving skills are pretty darn good and his 4runner is running fine.

realized today that I have been quite neglectful in keeping current with many of the guys who kept current with me during my builds and wanted to try to reciprocate for that.

Joe will be 17 next month. so that means it will be 4 years since he bought his 4runner. still look at it and can't believe all the accomplishments we achieved with it.

some tweaky issues that need to be addressed with his, such as some rumbling when it's in 4wd and additionally when the hubs are just locked. day-to-day, that does not mean anything, but of course it's a concern now that the cold weather is here.

anyways hope all is well with everyone.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 AM

hiya.

just looking for a bit on insight from you guys.

Joe's 4runner is running fine. just looking for a bit of guidance on what to check.

in 2wd, runs fine, no noises or vibrations.

lock the hubs....vibration at and above 25mph...so bad, that it's mostly prohibitive to go above 45. engage the 4wd and you can only go about 35mph at most.

again.....nothing wrong in 2wd and without the hubs locked.

my questions:

how and why would someone need or want to rebuild the 4wd hubs? is this a symptom?

CV's....I've read that I should be hearing noises when turning and such or that a dust boot would be torn or that grease would be visible. we have none of the above.

front UNIVERSAL: what should I be looking for? play? we hit all the grease-points in the spring thinking that perhaps something was dry. did not improve.

this is NOT a big deal to me for several reasons because Joe is a new driver and I really don't want or need him to be driving in snow etc.

I know with my truck, I can go 55mph in 4wd if I need and there is only a slight rumble or vibration....which, after driving the same vehicle for 21 years, I know this is normal and expected. and driving with the hubs locked only has a slightly noticeable rumble and vibration.

I know that rebuilding the hubs is a very do-able project. but I don't want to start disassembling things if I am going to be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
hey jerry,

the front driveshaft on joes truck is not a u-joint. its a CV joint. that would be my first place to check. there shouldnt be ANY play in it. in fact, if you remove it there should be a little resistance when you move it. if it just flops around its not necessarily bad, but probably needs grease. if it takes anything more than human strength to get it to move it should probably be replaced. take it to a driveshaft shop. Toyota Ujoints/CV joints are notorious for being a PITA due to their design.

as for the hubs, while they can take abuse, they do need to be cleaned periodically. its a simple job and costs all of $15. if youve never done it and dont know the last time it was performed, id do it anyways for peace of mind. most of the time they get some dirt or water leak past the old dried up seals and it washes out the grease. no bueno. theres a link in my sig for the write up i did.

im definately leaning towards front driveshaft tho.

did joes truck come with manual hubs from the factory or does it have the ADD option? (check to see if theres a vaccuum line coming out the front dif.)

Cheers!

Quick Reply: 8T8 4RUNNER's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread