86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

85Toyman's 1994 4Runner Build up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not alot of stuff done. I have completely removed the engine wiring harness. It is complete and sitting on the shelf. I removed the tranny/transfercase.

The engine is still sitting inside the rig with the fuel line still needing to be removed and then unbolted from motor mounts. Should be out next week.

I have decided to go with the 5 spd bell housing and stick with the tranny I have. I had a couple of prospects on cars but everybody flaked out on me so I will just put the engine in and use the KS racing housing.

I have a shop that is going to build the wiring harness for me as soon as the engine is in the rig I can drop it off for them to do the work with getting all the hard stuff done. Wiring, sorry guys just isn't my cup of tea. Give me a welder and metal and I can build you some awsome stuff, just not good at wiring and I would rather pay for that and have it done right the first time.

I have been looking at other builds and I really don't want to have to do a body lift. I am going to cut and channel the oil pan so that it won't hit on the steering relay rod. I am hoping that with the 1" diff drop and the channel, it fits without hitting the hood. If it does I will do the hood scoop mod and just weld the factory scoop off of the 3rd gens to my hood and then have it repainted. I have some clear coat that has flaked off as is and it could stand to be repainted anyways.

I will post up some pictures of progress as soon as I can.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Well got some movement on the project. I finally got a 1uz picked up. Engine has 120,000 miles on it. Complete wiring harness and starter. Motor came out of a 1993 LS400.

I need to pickup a p/s pump, a/c pump and afm and ecu unit. The install now gets started.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice man have u decided on how ur going to go with the engine mounts? And good luck I hope u don't have as many distractions as I have had. I wish I could be working on it rather then all the other stuff I get stuck on.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM

I think I am going to use the 3.0 rubber isolators and then weld some tube to that then plate the end and bolt it up to the motor. Not sure yet, I still haven't decided yet.

I hope that the distractions are at a minimum as well. I hope that it comes together as well as yours has. Time will tell I guess....
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM

wow thats one clean motor. did it come that way.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM

o an you should check with rma about a new throttle body to get rid of that tracs.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Looking good!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by SHAGGY21
wow thats one clean motor. did it come that way.
Yeah I picked it up from the yard and put it on the stand the way it sits. I have not done any cleaning to it. The guy at the yard said the rig that the motor came out of looked brand new except for the rear where it got smashed.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 PM

I thought that the motors with the tracs had a black box that sat on top of the motor just behind the throttle body? Not to sound like a noob, but how can you tell if the motor had a traction control unit on it?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanks Dunkin really happy to be starting this project. I would like to have this done within 6 months. We will see.

I am putting a clutch into the 2000 4runner and then selling it. That should give me enough to but all the parts I need for the swap.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 85toyman
Thanks Dunkin really happy to be starting this project. I would like to have this done within 6 months. We will see.

I am putting a clutch into the 2000 4runner and then selling it. That should give me enough to but all the parts I need for the swap.

I can't believe the deal you got on that 3rd Gen 4Runner! And a 5 speed to boot! Damn, I never come across deals like that. It should net you a pretty penny.

Do yourself a favor though, when you have the intake manifold off, rebuild or replace that starter. I neglected mine and I think it's going to have issues.
I am not looking forward to another intake pull when it completely fails.

I can't really tell from your pics, but it does not look like your engine has TRACS on it. I can say for sure with a better shot of the t-body.

Also, I noticed your sig. Do you have any shifter boots in blue? (long shot I know)

Last edited by Dunkin; 03-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 PM

yeah thats what i was gonna say is the a butterfly in front of the one that is attatched the the tps. if so it dose like dunkin said its hard to see front the pic. but when i looked at it i thought i saw it on the throttle body.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 PM

Dunkin- Sorry I don't have any blue shifter boots.

I do have two tps sensors and two butterfly's, so I guess I have the tracs. RMA is hooking me up with the throttle body that only has the one sensor and butterfly so i can eliminate the tracs.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM

you can take the tracs off that throttle body and have the holes welded up. but if your like me i want my engine to look clean with no clutter on it and unused plugs. and rma is a awesome guy. i got my throttle body from him and i currently have a set of heads in the mail from him that should be here on the 30th. i cant wait.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM

HA! I just noticed that you got it from B&R. Did you deal with Smitty by chance?

We get a ton of Subaru stuff from them, mainly transmissions and axles. But I did get my LS oil pan and Tundra manifolds from him. Great company!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM

The guy I delt with was Kevin, Nice guy. He asked me what I was doing with the engine as I didn't look like a lexus owner. Ha Ha, I told him it was going into my 4runner. He just laughed and said that he had heard of guys doing that, but I was the first one that has come and got an engine.

I have bought stuff from them in the past and have always been pleased with the items I got. When I called and asked about the motor, he said that they couldn't guarentee that the wiring harness would be intact. I was happy when I got there and the whole harness was uncut. Hot usually the case when dealing with wrecking yards. I have only found one black wire that is cut and it looks like it was pinched and broke. The engine is clean and looks to be in good shape, albeit a few items I am picking up from RMA like the throttle body, ecu, dip stick.

So far I spent

$ 325 engine
$ 65 Cat
$ 40 tranny mount
$ 550 wiring harness built for me
$ 485 KS Bell housing
$ 216 2100 lb Marlin Clutch
$ 75 Tundra Manifolds.

I am going to keep a running total so I know how much I have spent on this project, hope my wife never looks at this forum and finds this post. Ha Ha

I just finished the clutch on the 2000 4runner, it is now going up for sale on craigs list. Hope to sell it and pay for the rest of the parts I need for the swap.

Last edited by 85toyman; 04-14-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 85toyman
The guy I delt with was Kevin, Nice guy. He asked me what I was doing with the engine as I didn't look like a lexus owner. Ha Ha, I told him it was going into my 4runner. He just laughed and said that he had heard of guys doing that, but I was the first one that has come and got an engine.

I just talked to Smitty and told him you bought from Kevin. He said "Damn, that guy is our worst salesman." Haha.

Talk with Smitty next time. He is awesomesauce.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Ha Ha Ha, that is funny. Next time I buy from them I will ask for smitty.

Thanks for heads up.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 PM

Ok, First I want to say thanks to RMA for getting me some parts I needed. The guy is great to deal with, hope that everybody I deal with feels the same way after a transaction.

Second, it feels great to make some progress. I got the 3.0 pulled out tonight. It is sitting on the garage floor, big hole where the boat anchor was sitting. I really want put some holes into the thing with something that goes bang, but I don't want to waste perfectly good lead. Now I can lower the 4.0 into the bay and start taking measurements.

Yay!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 AM

Awesome build. You've inspired me to do a quick CL search for some cheap 4runners to make some $$ on. I hope I'm as successful as you!

Quick Reply: 85Toyman's 1994 4Runner Build up Thread