86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4RunnerKid's 1993 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Your moonrocks pics in this thread aren't working for me right now.

Did you use a torch or hole saw for the shackle tubes? Did you move your steering box? Got any pics of the D-shaft? What joints did you use (modified from the IFS shaft?) Wish you'd done anything differently?
no idea why the pics aren't working...

anyways, i used a holesaw for the shackle tubes, didn't need to move my steering box, and as for the d-shaft... i'll try and get pics for you ASAP clint. i just ended up using standard toyota u-joints (one off the IFS shaft i think and the other off another d-shaft we had lying around) with a High Angle V6 flange at the t-case end.

only thing i would have done differently would have to be the springs. i just wish they had a higher spring rate... oh, and maybe mounted the front hanger a little farther forward.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
only thing i would have done differently would have to be the springs. i just wish they had a higher spring rate... oh, and maybe mounted the front hanger a little farther forward.
I mounted my hanger about 1.75" forward, but x2 on the higher spring rate....the 5" TG springs are way too soft (and now starting to get saggy).
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks Mike. I have thought about moving the hanger forward some also, but I'm not sure how much further to go. I am thinking maybe just 1/2" forward for a total 2" forward of stock loction. I'm not sure how this will affect the shackle angle and whether or not I'll need to move the box. What do you think? Should I go for more?

TG is making those HD 5" springs now for V6 folks. Maybe if you called and complained enough about your current springs they would swap you. I'm sure someone from TG will be at the Jamboree this year. We could swap the leafs on the lakebed haha. I've got OBA - we can just hook up the impact and go at it.

Hope your Christmas went well. Look forward to seeing your driveshaft LOL.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Thanks Mike. I have thought about moving the hanger forward some also, but I'm not sure how much further to go. I am thinking maybe just 1/2" forward for a total 2" forward of stock loction. I'm not sure how this will affect the shackle angle and whether or not I'll need to move the box. What do you think? Should I go for more?

TG is making those HD 5" springs now for V6 folks. Maybe if you called and complained enough about your current springs they would swap you. I'm sure someone from TG will be at the Jamboree this year. We could swap the leafs on the lakebed haha. I've got OBA - we can just hook up the impact and go at it.

Not that it makes a bit of difference, but mine is 1.25" forward. I welded up an FRORF frame brace to the truck first, then welded my FRORF hanger in the 1" forward position. Steering in the stock position barely clears...

I wouldn't mount the Marlin SAS hanger any farther forward, to be honest. If you want the option of moving the spring mounts forward, I'd make your own similar to BoogerWelds on PBB... One of the best I've seen for flexible mounting position and frame strengthening at the steering box.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:57 PM

i've talked to TG, and they said they'd send me a set of HD springs, so hopefully they do. mine are just too soft. as for the hanger, i wouldn't go too far forward. no more than an inch, i would say. those marlin USAs should give you a good shackle angle and hold their height just fine.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 AM

rockota, I gotta agree with you on Booger's crossmember being a cool design. I am not sure yet what I'll do with the hanger, but I don't think I want to make another one from scratch right now. Are you going to post up a build thread for whatever it is you're working on?

Mike, glad to hear TG is going to replace the soft springs. Did they help you out with the knuckle bearings too?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:23 AM

redid the shims and i haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 PM

Mike, can you measure your truck's body highest point?

I'm still trying to decide wich tires run when I swap mine... As it's my DD I don't want it being higher than 2.00 meters.

David
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Mike, can you measure your truck's body highest point?

I'm still trying to decide wich tires run when I swap mine... As it's my DD I don't want it being higher than 2.00 meters.

David
i'll measure it tomorrow for you, david.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 AM

Thank you a lot

I've opened a post for asking some combo measurements:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7#post50380117

Sorry for the hijack

David

Last edited by Blizzard; 01-02-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 AM

redid the shims and i haven't had a problem since.
Any tips on setting up the shims? Did you need any special tools? I'll be honest - I haven't looked very hard into rebuilding my axle yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You talking about the shims on the knuckle? I used one thick shim and one thin shim top and bottom...both sides...that is what came in the knuckle service kit and it has worked out flawlessly thus far. I read it on Pirate some where that setting it up like that gets you close enough w/o having to have the SST.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM

i think i have just a thick one on all but the problem bearing on mine... on that one i added a thin shim too. i have the tool to measure the preload you can borrow if you like. not sure if i'll be in town by friday... if not, i'll mail it to you.

david, i'm somewhere between 74 and 75" at the highest point.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 PM

You talkin' about the spring scale? I'll see if I can find one of those locally otherwise I'll let you know.

It looks like my IFS lift is sold and on its way out this week, so I'll be working on hanging the axle pretty soon. I probably wont rebuild yet though. I have a geared third with lockrites on its way, so there aint much else to get other than your inners and a torch.

I am still planning on the hammers in April if I can manage it. You know you want to go. I need someone to show me how it's done.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM

nice clint. glad to see things are coming together. yeah, that scale was like $10 at big 5. i'll drop those inners off once my rear leaf swap is done. hopefully by next week sometime. if you need them sooner let me know. and i'll get you those d-shaft pics ASAP. sorry it's taken so long...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM

UPDATE 1-12-07

5.29s have been in for a while now, and they are amazing. completely different truck now...

trail-gear HD springs showed up. they'll go in once the rear leaf swap is done and i find some more time...

rear leaf swap has begun. old suspension is off, ready to send off to the buyer. axle is free of brackets and ready for perches. panhard mount is cut, but i'm not sure how exactly to finish that up... kinda trying something out. next up is cutting off the lower control arm brackets and driver side upper link bracket... then i get to put it all back together. it won't be done until the d-shaft is lengthened and rear axle is rebuilt though... no big deal though. on to some pics:

axle

panhard bracket... or what's left of it

casualties of war... one of many

*EDIT*
can one of the mods rename this thread to a build-up of some sort??? that'd be awesome... thanks.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 PM

panhard mount is cut, but i'm not sure how exactly to finish that up...
I removed the entire crossmember, then used the /\ shockmount as the new structural peice. It doenst need to support any large forces anymore, and I bet the tubing is just as strong or stronger.

Last edited by AH64ID; 01-12-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM

i thought about cutting everything out, but i really don't feel like cutting that much... if i had a plasma, it'd all be off by now. angle grinder is a completely different story...

oh, forgot to mention... the axle is going back 1.5" or so. and i'm using 6" all pro springs with 14" shocks.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

i thought about cutting everything out, but i really don't feel like cutting that much... if i had a plasma, it'd all be off by now. angle grinder is a completely different story...

oh, forgot to mention... the axle is going back 1.5" or so. and i'm using 6" all pro springs with 14" shocks.
Yeah, I had a plas... it was nice....

I centered my axle in the wheel well, not sure how much it moved but the 33 TSL's I had only had about 3/4" clearance on either side, so I am glad I centerd it.... I used 4" Alcan springs...and 13" Ranchos, with the /\ I never come close to bottoming or over extending the shock...
Old 01-12-2007, 06:44 PM

that's going to be sick mike!!!

Quick Reply: 4RunnerKid's 1993 4Runner Build-Up Thread