86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

22Rob's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22Rob's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Hey guys, I started this thread over in the "Check Out My Truck" section of the forum but I decided that I really wanted to get feedback and utilize some of the knowledge available on this site. First things first, I don't really know if you would technically classify this as a "build-up" thread...I'm not planning on a SAS, lifting the truck, running huge tires etc...this is simply a restoration. While most young boys dream of Corvettes and Mustangs, my dream vehicle has always been a first-gen 4Runner. With this thread as my inspiration http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=54630 I hope to be able to breath new life into this vehicle and own it for many, many years to come.

Well, now that the lame part is over......I got my 4Runner on September 5th for $800 dollars. Right away I had to get a new battery (yeah the PO wanted his battery back...I wasn't going to argue). It has the 22RE w/ automatic transmission. I REALLY want to ditch this thing for a 5-speed. Rust is an issue but after seeing the pics of my "inspiration" I am undaunted. Right now I absolutely have to get my timing chain replaced...I can hear it slapping around in there. Anyway, on with the pics!!!

Here is a sideview...

and a shot of Pop's '95 Tacoma, my 4Runner, and my Buddy's '09 Tundra

Old 09-26-2009, 04:06 PM

This is probably the worst (that being the most obvious) case of rust on the whole vehicle...nothing fiberglass fenders wont fix... that will be a while down the road I'm afraid.

There are a few other spots, such as inside the door jams...

Last edited by 22Rob; 02-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 22Rob
This is probably the worst (that being the most obvious) case of rust on the whole vehicle...nothing fiberglass fenders wont fix... that will be a while down the road I'm afraid.

try Photobucket your pic did not show up
Old 09-26-2009, 04:40 PM

I got it man, thanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sexy truck, the rust doesn't look bad at all. Looks like you got yourself a good deal my friend.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks man, well...I wouldn't say "sexy" yet. hahaha I'm getting there though.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM

cant wait to see what you do with it
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 22Rob
Thanks man, well...I wouldn't say "sexy" yet. hahaha I'm getting there though.

I would. A good cut and polish and that thing will gleam in the sun.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys, yeah 22RUCRAZY...I'm ready to see what I do with it too. haha
Old 09-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech. Nice 4Runner.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome and compliment Wabbit. I have a quick question. I read the FAQ about posting pics and I understand you click the "insert image" button to include images, however, when I click the icon, the box asking for the web address does not appear...its really aggrivating because I want to get this thread started.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM

*NOTE* Hhhhmmm...now it seems to be working again...nevermind the help.
9/06/09

Didn't really do much that day. I cleaned my interior pieces/trim and thats about it. Here are some different pics of the interior, taken before I did any cleaning or anything. It was pretty dirty...something I can't stand! haha

This is pretty much what the mileage read when I bought it. Not too bad, considering the only major problem I am aware of currently is the timing chain.

Yep...my front seats have seen much better days...I don't know many Toyota seats that haven't come to think of it...

The PO hauled tools around in the very back...I'm convinced he might have hauled off a body or two judging by those sketchy stains.

My super sweet, FUNCTIONAL...lol...inclinometer. Quite the conversation piece...and I really don't understand the pirate sticker...but I can assure you it is now in File-13.

Also, this was inside one of the door jams...anyone ever seen anything like this?

Last edited by 22Rob; 02-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 PM

9/09-9/14

Between September 9-14, I fought a series of electrical related problems. First my brake lights went out and thankfully my buddy (who owns an '88 pickup) came by and in about an hour we (well...him mostly) got it fixed. Following that, I decided to change the bulbs for my license plate lights, since they weren't working...well, that didn't work...turns out the cable in the back (inside the tail gate) was unplugged...easy. Next my horn quit working......at least it was just a fuse.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:39 PM

9/15/09

I pulled my smelly, dirty carpet out of the back! It made a pretty huge difference! (I will have pics up) I'm seriously thinking about putting a spray in/roll on bed liner in the back instead of putting carpet back down. Hhhhmmm...that'll be a while down the road I'm afraid.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 PM

9/20/09

I had the day off from work, and I finally got my top off! Let me tell you something...my Dad (he and my Mom owned an '86 back in the day) warned me against taking the top off...he might have been on to something. It was pretty darn aggrivating! I broke one of the stupid bolts off...and trust me, I'm not exactly He-Man...not to mention it was kind of uncomfortable back there...however, I finally got it off and it was very cool! Atleast for a little while...

She cleaned up pretty good!

Told yall I pulled the carpet! Only to find...GASP...more rust...imagine that.

Part II of this story tomorrow....

Last edited by 22Rob; 02-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Lookin good!! Nothing like seein a 22 year old with her top off!!! Bummer about the bolts, guess I was fortunate when I took my top off for the first time(in 23 years...lol!) that I didn't have bolt problems.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 AM

Thanks man, it was kind of a bummer, but I'll get it fixed later on down the road.

Now for Part II of the is story....

With the top off, naturally I decided I had to show her off to the rest of the world. So I filled it up with gas and decided to head out to Burger King for a bite to eat. People couldn't keep their eyes off of us...all the guys stood in awe as we drove by and at a traffic light three girls hopped in and we all cruised down to the beach....OK....maybe that's not what happened exactly.

Anyway, I got home and decided to put the top back on since it was looking like rain. After a brief struggle, I reconnected everything to discover my back window wasn't working. With the help of members from this forum, I thought I had finally found the problem...that bolt, or the button that it pushes really, that tells the 4Runner the top is back on. However, my friend looked at it, and decided that the problem was actually my window switch (the one in the center console up front). So, I went to a junkyard that just happened to have an '86 4Runner and voilą! Replaced the switch...problem solved. Now, this thread is finally up-to-date...I'll keep it updated.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Alright guys, long time no speak. Nothing new right now, but I plan on replacing the timing chain in the VERY near future, with the help of my dad. I'll be putting up pics and probably start a separate thread. Anyway, I've been doing my homework, and it seems like the engnbldr kit (steel guides) is the way to go. However, I was just wondering if this would contain everything I needed for the job? I was also hoping to get a factory service manual...I was too little, too late for an '87 manual (in PRISTINE condition) that went for $31 this morning...I could have shot myself for forgetting about it...

Thanks for the feedback fellows...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts
The manual is certainly good to have, but not a necessity. 4Crawler's webpage has a very good writeup on timing chain replacement. Also there are some link's floating around to the different FSMs. It is nice to have the book in your hand though...I have an '85 manual and it works fine for my 88.

Engnbldr's kit comes with pretty much everything. You probably want a new waterpump and oil pump, so add those from him. Also, it might be a good idea to order his sleeve-n-seal kit, which will keep you from having an oil leak if the crank pulley has a groove worn in it. You don't know if there's a groove till you get it out, so I have always just ordered the sleeve anyway.

Other than those things, you will want some good RTV, maybe a new t-stat, and a new valve-cover gasket. If your guides are broken, then you will definitely want to consider dropping the oil pan to retrieve the bits of plastic.

Good luck.

Last edited by coryc85; 10-02-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM

9/15/09

Well, its been a long time since I've made any updates. My computer is almost on its last leg, so I can't get on the internet much anymore. Anyway, I bought the timing kit from Engnbldr (awesome guy to deal with btw) complete with timing cover, water pump, and oil pump. The plan is to take Thanksgiving weekend and get the whole thing done. Assuming my computer cooperates, I'll keep you updated with pics and any questions that may come up. haha I've owned my 4Runner for about 3 months and I have completely fell in love with it (not to say it isn't aggravating at times, with all its little quirks). There is an 1985 pickup SR5 EFI for sale about 15 minutes away...if I had the money...it would be sitting in the driveway right now! Oh well...can't have it all.

Quick Reply: 22Rob's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread