86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

22RE Distributor "Cotter?" "Pin?" "Dowel?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Distributor "Cotter?" "Pin?" "Dowel?"

I have only been able to find traces of info out there about what I have heard called a "cotter pin" or a "distributor dowel." But basically, I think it is a pin that goes through the gears on the distributor and keeps the gears on the distributor and the distributor drive gear in line with each other.

The distributor rotor fails to rotate when the engine is turned over. So I suspected a broken timing chain. However, upon removing the valve cover the timing chain is intact (***). By manually turning the crankshaft I can see the timing chain turn, the camshaft functioning, and the distributor drive gear rotating. I can also see that the gear on the distributor is not engaged with the rotating distributor drive gear. I can see a hole for a "cotter/dowel/pin" to go, but no trace of the actual "pin."

Second thoughts about it - If the cotter/dowel/pin broke off it would be in my oil pan. I foresee possible problems there.

But, my distributor looks fine other than that (no mashed gears), so I was hoping to be able re-install a new cotter/dowel/pin into my distributor and save some cash. Think I could do that? Know how to ask for that part?

Any thoughts? Or maybe I missed a thread on this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

***My left, when facing the engine, timing chain stay is snapped (also in the oil pan most likely). I thought that usually the right side (which mine has an aftermarket metal stay) broke because that is the side that carries the tension? How important is the slack side chain stay? But like i said - the timing chain is rotating and at good tension so I dont think that is the root problem of the distributor rotor failing to rotate.