86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1UZFE into my 95 runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed!
Wow! What a great job you have done of documenting all of the steps to this swap. I have been researching this type of swap, and your thread is one of the most informative. I have almost built up the courage to shell out for a 1UZ, but am still collecting all of the tools necessary to do most of the work.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

thanks chef looking back on some of it i really dont think i did a clean enough job on some of it and i would like to go through and redo some of the stuff. like i forgot to take a plug out of the harness for the tracs so there is a lone plug just hanging fout all on its lonesome. so i will go through and take care so all the stuff i am not pleased with down the road.

csc89 thank you that was kinda one of the things i was going for is to have as much info for everyone as i could. so they wouldnt have to read through thread after thread to find the small details. but i still dont think i have covered everything and missed some of it. and there is so many ways im seeing to mount the engine its kinda hard to put some demintions out there for mounts. its kinda one of those things that one has to figure out on your own. but i still like where i put my engine i dont have any driveline angle.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM

well i have a little more info for all of you. i was having a fuel problem. i said something about it on dunkins thread, and sorry for that dunkin.
so when i would rev it up it would fall on its face. i was looking into the tps and maf for a little bit. then i pinched off the return line and it got better. so i then started looking for a new pump. i found a 255lph pump on lc engineering. and talked to one of my old service managers who now works for the lexus sdealer that is next to us. they couldnt find a spec on how much the factory ls pump flows. and nither could my friend over at toyota. and i couldnt find anything on alldata. i know its out there somewhere as i did a fuel volume test on one of my runners back when i was going to trake school.

so today after work i put a fuel pressure gauge on it. here is what i got.

turns out when i wired it. i wired it to the slow speed side of the pump circuit if i am reading the diagram right. so i just swapped the pins in the connector for now. i will recut and solder them. as it will drive me nuts for the wires to be the wrong color.
so now that it was running as it should i was i little bad and left 3 feet of rubber behind my stall. i only hope the cameras didnt see me. and talk about some put you in the seat power. 85toyman you are gonna love it. i cant wait to get her on the highway.

Last edited by SHAGGY21; 08-30-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 PM

Good work dude. I thought about the two speed pump wiring, since you mentioned the pressure drop in my thread, but didn't come back to the forum to post it. Now I feel like an ass, lol. Oh well, you found it quick.

I'm glad you got it! You are going to love it.

Last edited by Dunkin; 07-18-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Thank u. Yeah I was looking at the fuel pressure and thought a pump that can't keep up wouldn't pick back up like that. So I pulled the pump access and checked voltage. Sure enough the the pressure dropped so did the voltage. And was talking to a friend at Toyota who put a 2uz in his taco and he started saying something about it as me an another tech were looking at the diagrams and it kinda clicked.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great news. I bet you have a grin that will last a week now.

I really hope that once all of us are done we can have a get together for a weekend of wheeling.

Now on a question you all. Sorry to hijack, but I installed my stainless fuel feed line. The return line is over by the brake booster. Does anybody see an issue with cutting the return line over on the passanger side and connecting my hose there rather than running another line over the back of the motor. From what I can tell the return just snakes it way over to the driver side but doesn't connect to anything else along the way from the rail over.

Any info would be appriciated.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 AM

Great news!!! Might see ya cruzin it around town soon?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 AM

Hey 85 I'm a little confused. The return should be on the passenger side right next to the charcoal box. And the return should ne on the passenger side on the 1uz as well. I had to snake a hose across the firewall as I swapped my rails. When I get to work this morn ill have a look for u.

Yeah z. All I need for that is a fan. But things once again are not lookin to good on the money flow. I'm trying to move again. Bit we will see. As im not doing the a/c just yet I could run a pusher fan. My friend has a few Volvo s40 fans I could just wore it the other way round an.I'm sure it would work for a little bit.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Yeah my feed and return are both in the passenger side. So unless I'm reading it wrong I have no idea what ur.talking bout man. U got a pic?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Shaggy,

Thanks for the reply. But unless I am confused and not seeing what I think I am seeing this motor is backwards. Ha Ha what isn't.

Here are some pics of what I am looking at.

First pic is of the return line coming out of the fuel rail on the passanger side front of the motor.

Sam shot further out so as to see context of what where I am talking about.

After tracing the line back it dumps on the passanger side of the motor right behind the driver side head almost into the brake booster.

Further away to see context again..

This is where I want to cut the line, on the passanger side by the wiring haress. I should be able to plug the return fuel in right there. I just want to make sure that I wont hurt shortening the factory return line by shorting it. Like back pressure or anything.

Sorry to be so long winded. If I am wrong on this being the return please let me know. I have everything else hooked up and only need to finish this off for my plumbing.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Sorry one more question. What did you guys do about the temp sensor?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 85toyman
Sorry one more question. What did you guys do about the temp sensor?

The water temp sensor? It is wired into the main harness. You will find the sensor on the right front side of the intake manifold. You just have to tap the wire for the temp sensor into the wire for your temp gauge on the dash.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

That is what I was looking for on the temp sensor, did you see the pics I posted about the return fuel line?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 85toyman
That is what I was looking for on the temp sensor, did you see the pics I posted about the return fuel line?

I don't remember the wire colors off hand, but I can check my "as-built diagrams" when I get home tonight if you like. The Lexus sending unit and the Toyota gauges are completely compatible, with the exception of the V6 tach.

I did see those pics, and I still can't figure out what it is that you want to cut.

On my engine, the fuel return was on the rear of the drivers side fuel rail, then loops down and back up near the back of the drivers side valve cover/cam plug. It is just a steel hose end ready to accept bulk hose with an F.I. clamp. I ran the bulk hose from the drivers side fuel rail over to the return pipe on the passenger fender.

Here are some pics... this is just a section of bulk fuel injection hose I got from NAPA to connect the two.

Drivers side fuel return pipe and new hose.

Passenger side inner fender, return pipe.

Last edited by Dunkin; 07-19-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 AM

I think I get it now. I think the older cars the rails are different to mine. Dunkin from what I get out of it is he dose not want to have a hose running across the firewall. And no 85 it shouldn't mess with anything to make it shorter. Just make sure its the right ur cutting. In my opinion at least what do u think dunkin. The wire for.the temp sensor is green going to the ecm and brown going to the tps according to the diagrams I got from RBX.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by SHAGGY21
I think I get it now. I think the older cars the rails are different to mine. Dunkin from what I get out of it is he dose not want to have a hose running across the firewall. And no 85 it shouldn't mess with anything to make it shorter. Just make sure its the right ur cutting. In my opinion at least what do u think dunkin. The wire for.the temp sensor is green going to the ecm and brown going to the tps according to the diagrams I got from RBX.

Haha, it looks like all three are different then. To clear some things up, mine is a 1993 SC400. But, I wouldn't see a problem with cutting the return, so long as you can flare it or put some kind of barb on it so that the line can't slip off when you are done.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I am suprised at such differences. Yes I don't want another line running accross the back of the fire wall. My motor came out of a 93 ls. I wouldn't have figured on so many different fuel rails.

The feed side is on the driver side fuel rail rear, and the return line is on the passanger side rail front but snakes around to the driver rear by the cam plug as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Yeah I was trying to look on alldata for some pics. But no luck. Mine is a 95ls and the way they are ment .to be is the feed is on the drivers side rear an the return is passenger used rear an my rails are round not square.

Yeah like dunkin said something on the end keep it from coming off. Or.maybe just double clamp it the return pressure is never to high.unless the regulator craps out.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

O an 85 I don't know if ur ecm is smart enough to pick it up bit on mine it popped a code for the sub throttle sensor for the tracs. I'm working on how to turn it off. I got rid of the tranny codes an all I have left is that code.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Shaggy congrats on getting the truck started !!!!im sure that gave you the little pep you needed to keep going

85 toyman the 1uz engines ive seen sc and ls all have the supply and return on the drivers side .. yes they do snake thru the engine but end at the drivers side . you shouldnt have any problems with shortening the return line ..

shaggy you wont have any problems running the fuel pump on high all the time my black one and the maroon one are runnning like that with no issues at all .. now the grey 4runner will be running the 2 speed sc pump on 2 speeds .. just because i want to see what or how much more different the fuel milage will be running the pump on 2 speeds , since that is why lexus did that .

good luck man ..

Quick Reply: 1UZFE into my 95 runner