86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1990 Hilux import and build page

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are any floorboard modifications required with the USA spec R151f? I was thinking no since the Surf's use the same R151f forward shift but mount to a different T-case.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello,

There is no floor mods needed to fit the US spec R151 into the Hilux. If you have anymore questions, post up. I am happy to help. Your welcome to post a pic of your rig here too. I would love to see an many Hilux's that are imported here state side.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:58 AM

Below are pictures of mine. 1991 Hilux, open front & rear diffs 4.30, G52 Transmission also with the 3L NA diesel engine, It was bone stock when I got it minus the roll bar. It's the first vehicle where I am doing all the work myself. So everything is a learning experience.

Other than basic maintenance (changing all fluids and filters) I've added:

Old man emu suspension system. Heavy duty in front/ Medium in the rear
Pro comp Adjustable drop drag link
31x10.5r15 tires and new rims which widen the stance. (not sure if that is called more offset or less) The tires don't scrub but it comes incredibly close when turning at full compression. So I think I would have to move the front axle forward If ever going to 33's.
Harrop Elockers front & rear that I have hooked up to a land cruiser dial. I might run additional toggle switches after dial so I can lock the front and leave the rear open. I would have done lockers last but I got a really good deal on them at the time.
Rebuilt the front & rear axles with all new bearings and seals.

When I first got the truck it had clouds of white smoke when going up steep hills. I ran an injector cleaner through a tank one tank of fuel then switched over to using some Diesel Kleen and Lubricity Formula with every fill up. Now I get a tiny bit of black smoke going up inclines but I read that is pretty common. I was looking at adding a Turbo but read on an Australian forum about the Turbo'd engines destroying the G52 and slipping on a stock clutch. So I'll probably try to follow in the footsteps of what you are doing with your build.

Right now I'm checking out salvage yard for stock toyota 4.88 3rds, plus searching the internet for a USA r151f and JDM turbo bell housing.
Down the road. I'll look at going to go to a water less coolant, high flow thermometer, having the injectors rebuilt, and hopefully a turbo.
Options for that would be a dead 2l-t(e), Turboglide/Denco/DTS kit, or getting a turbo manifold and hooking up something custom like a Garrett GT2052.
Not exactly sure which would be the best route in quality vs cost.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by hilux106
Below are pictures of mine. 1991 Hilux, open front & rear diffs 4.30, G52 Transmission also with the 3L NA diesel engine, It was bone stock when I got it minus the roll bar. It's the first vehicle where I am doing all the work myself. So everything is a learning experience.

Other than basic maintenance (changing all fluids and filters) I've added:

Old man emu suspension system. Heavy duty in front/ Medium in the rear
Pro comp Adjustable drop drag link
31x10.5r15 tires and new rims which widen the stance. (not sure if that is called more offset or less) The tires don't scrub but it comes incredibly close when turning at full compression. So I think I would have to move the front axle forward If ever going to 33's.
Harrop Elockers front & rear that I have hooked up to a land cruiser dial. I might run additional toggle switches after dial so I can lock the front and leave the rear open. I would have done lockers last but I got a really good deal on them at the time.
Rebuilt the front & rear axles with all new bearings and seals.

When I first got the truck it had clouds of white smoke when going up steep hills. I ran an injector cleaner through a tank one tank of fuel then switched over to using some Diesel Kleen and Lubricity Formula with every fill up. Now I get a tiny bit of black smoke going up inclines but I read that is pretty common. I was looking at adding a Turbo but read on an Australian forum about the Turbo'd engines destroying the G52 and slipping on a stock clutch. So I'll probably try to follow in the footsteps of what you are doing with your build.

Right now I'm checking out salvage yard for stock toyota 4.88 3rds, plus searching the internet for a USA r151f and JDM turbo bell housing.
Down the road. I'll look at going to go to a water less coolant, high flow thermometer, having the injectors rebuilt, and hopefully a turbo.
Options for that would be a dead 2l-t(e), Turboglide/Denco/DTS kit, or getting a turbo manifold and hooking up something custom like a Garrett GT2052.
Not exactly sure which would be the best route in quality vs cost.

That is a very clean Lux! Congrats on getting one. You won't regret it.

I would not recommend the stock Toyota 4.88 thirds. The ring gear is much thinner and there is no aftermarket support for a replacement should it snap. You would need another complete diff. I would just replace it new gears for the diffs you have already or just find a set of regular 4.10 gears and re-gear them to 4.88. The R151 is a little hard to find. It looks like there are only 2 yards that might have 1. Brush Auto Salvage in Brush Colorado, and Barneys Used Car parts in Sioux Falls South Dakota.
The JDM bell housing I got off ebay UK. The sellers in the UK seemed much easier to deal with then anywhere else and they had lots of the R151's over there. The down side to non US R151 is the T case was chain and not gear driven, so don't buy a non US R151 or you will be disappointed. If you decided going Turbo let me know. I would be happy to help you get one. I am a dealer for Turbo Glide for here in the States. You can see more on my website.

We also have a facebook page your welcome to join. Just search North American Hilux Club on Facebook.

Again, congrats and keep in Touch!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the Advice. Yes, you are right on the gears. Most of the factory 4.88 have come across are pretty high mileage by now and everything internal is likely worn. Being in the rust belt I see high pinion cases and V6 4:10 gears everywhere because they don't rust out as quickly like the frames and bodies. I'll look into those yards for the transmission. I'll let you know when i'm ready to bite the bullet on the turbo.

I see you have a snorkel on the white one and factory setup on the red. I had a pretty terrible resonance around 2000-2500 rpm on my factory setup. I was able to reduce it significantly by twisted the rubber couplings in the joints and re-tightening. Besides cleaner air and the water crossing benefits do you notice any performance improvement, or increased road noise on the snorkeled lux compared to the one with the factory setup?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 PM

There is no additional road noise having the snorkel. I do find that having constant cool air actually helps the engine run better with more hp. That's a nice benefit.

Sounds good. I am happy to help. I have a lot of the OEM Toyota parts available for these old diesels available to me, so if there is anything you need just yell.

On a side note. The buddy I sold the red diesel too called me the other night and needed assistance..... Diesel wasn't running right. Yeah he was about 2 hours from home had been running down the highway about 60 mph. The ute was smoking under acceleration or load. He pulled over and smoke started rising under the hood!!! Popped the hood and lower radiator hose was completely off and hanging onto the radiator side only. So no coolant. He had 2 gallons of water in jugs. When he poured it into the radiator it boiled out. He let it cool down for a bit and added water and it stayed without boiling. Engine wouldn't turn over. Ouch..... Waiting about 1 hour and engine started again... Not seized yet. After running for about 2 minutes the radiator hose popped off again... He called a tow truck to get it off the highway. He was close to his parents house and just had it taken back to their place.

I got the call and hitched up the trailer and went to retrieve. Definetly popped a head gasket. Time to tear down the diesel and do it over. It has 300K on it so not surprising. He is thinking about adding a turbo when we build it back up!!! I will let you know if I get the go ahead to turbo the rig.

Headed home!

Last edited by 85toyman; 09-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Had the 1uz 4runner and the Hilux together out snow wheeling this Christmas. Took this photo before the day began. I also had a chance to build a set of rock sliders for the Hilux as well over break. So nice business was slow this season compared to most. I was able to do a few things for myself for once.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Any plans to put high steer on the white truck?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Any plans to put high steer on the white truck?
yeah I got the first set of zinc plated RHD high steer arms, lower caps and 25mm pin kit from marlin crawler. The RHD IFS box is here and ready to be installed. This will be the first thing I tackle in the new shop.

I also have a HP front diff and 4.88 gears along with the wife axle kit too.

Been sitting on the parts for a while....
Old 05-18-2018, 07:28 AM

The "Boss" was perched on top the hill looking over his crew today! Wanted to make sure his new home was coming together correctly!!!

The crew have arrived!!!

The floor is done! Time to get the steel delivered. Hopefully soon
Old 05-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Is the shop close to your house?
great to see this progressing
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 PM

Rob,
It is a 5 min drive. So very nice.

thanks bud. Can't wait to have you down to visit
Old 05-29-2018, 02:01 AM

Here to help not hijack...

I operate a vehicle consultation firm on the Canary Islands Spain focusing on 4x4 diesels. Parts, sourcing, exportation, forwarding and importation services worldwide since 2015. Toyota, Mercedes, and Land Rover. Left hand drive. Direct exportation from private sellers enables great savings.

I have driven and owned nearly every Toyota series (currently LN65, LN105 and HJ61 in my stable), and I would love to share my knowledge with the North American audience.

Peace and Toyota on!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Hilux help needed!?

Hey I’ve very new to this comunity and I have so many questions.

I have a 1990 hilux surf, 2.4 Lt-e. I’m looking for parts, like at the moment I’m looking for a power steering pump and all the lines. Is the 2.4 4x4 pickup PS pump, the one I keep finding online, the same as my 2.4 diesel??
Old 09-07-2018, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Espitiahilux
Hey I’ve very new to this comunity and I have so many questions.

I have a 1990 hilux surf, 2.4 Lt-e. I’m looking for parts, like at the moment I’m looking for a power steering pump and all the lines. Is the 2.4 4x4 pickup PS pump, the one I keep finding online, the same as my 2.4 diesel??
Hello,

I am happy to help you with your rig. The mounts are going to be different. Do you not have a PS pump or does yours need just rebuilt?

your welcome to check out www.northwesttoysllc.com

we can get most all Toyota diesel parts. Your welcome to call us as well.

M-F 9 to 4:30 Pacific.

503-569-5739
Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks for responding. Needs replaced or rebuilt. The pully is sezied up. Should rebuild or just replace if I can find the parts?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Espitiahilux
Thanks for responding. Needs replaced or rebuilt. The pully is sezied up. Should rebuild or just replace if I can find the parts?
Happy to talk with you.

we have used units and rebuild kits available. Call us Monday and we can get you the parts you need.

thanks

-Don