86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1989 Single Cab SAS Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1989 Single Cab SAS Build

Hey everyone! New to the site but not these trucks. Have 2 89 22re 4x4 pickups.
First one was Originally maroon and it got wrecked so me and my buddy did a little backyard paint job on it. sits on 31" BF ATs. Nothing special.

The second one was recently purchased. It came with a solid front axle and a rear axle with matching gears, leaf springs, high steer, and other misc stuff.
starting to work on breaking down the front axle now. Once i got into it i noticed it is slap full of what appears to be Grease. would their be a reason someone would deliberately fill it with grease? or is it just that old and has water mixed in that the oil got to that consistency?

got the front on jack stands
axles and stuff out
yummy

like i said its like grease. bringing all the parts to work to clean in the parts washer to see whats all good and if anything is unusable. will be updating with pics and what not as i get further into it.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmmm mmm mmm looks like Birfield soup . could be whoever had it kept adding grease to the knuckles with a bad seal? letting the grease and gear oil mix . your is a lot thicker then what came out of mine though .mine was actually missing the driver side seal ....just not there ??? sometime people use heavy thick grease to mask problems like loud bearings or slow a bad leak . or maybe they thought moly fortified grease goes in the third too ?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looks like you got grease on your big toe
Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
looks like you got grease on your big toe
Yeah i might have. That pic was taken after i took everything apart. i didn't disassemble the axle with no shoes on lol.

I have sand blasted and painted most of the parts (knuckle and such). Was looking for advice on using my IFS calipers sense the pistons on the ones that came with this axle were frozen. Trail Gear says i can use the vented rotors they sell but you have to do some grinding.... How much and on what spot exactly is my question.
says grinding is needed to fit on solid axle