86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1987 4Runner Cyber Dude

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coryc85
Junk, I don't have any good advice. 200 does not sound bad for a crank and bearings.
I don't have any good advice for myself as well... Actually I think I typed that 200 in haste. I would say that a re-manufactured crank for a 22re is about $275 plus shipping which includes all bearings and thrust washer. There is a company here is Florida that re-manufactures crankshafts and wholesales them through most major auto-parts stores I think they are called Crankshaft Re-builders out of Sanford, Florida.

I personally would like to have this one grounded. There is a mechanic near Palm and Taft I used once way back, he may be able to get it done for me or have someone he knows that have a good machine shop. I also emailed a company called Internal Engine Parts Group or Falcon Gobal who sold me a crankshaft for a toyota 4AFE motor and that worked out like a charm, but I'm sure they would want about $300 for it.

Also, I think National Autoparts Inc also may offer a 22re Crankshaft, I saw them on the bay, but if I deal with them they would have to respond to my questions as where it was made.

Well, I haven't given up, I just need to find a machine shop as I mentioned before, I have the engine I took out this one and the one that is currently in the 86 4runner that I would like to rebuild soon.

All said and done, I have to decide soon to which way I will want to go with this. sure wold like to hear from others as to which way to go.

Last edited by junk4u; 05-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Oh if anybody is curious as to what time it is... It's 1:45am EST. I'm in one of those dreded moods and can't sleep thinking of what my next move is.

And boy I wasn't kidding about my sig... Flirting with Disaster....LOL
Old 05-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
When it spun the bearing, did it cause any damage to the bearing holder? (cant think of correct name at this time) My machine shop, if I recall right said it was $110 or something like that to line bore the crankshaft bearing area. I have 3 blocks and my machine shop guy showed me with would be the cheapest to rebuild. I did have one that will need that done if I ever needed it.

Hopefully you have a good machine shop in your area that can help with your decision and which would be the better route to go between more machine work or a new crankshaft. I am lucky to have a great machine shop guy to go to with my questions. If you find a good one in your area, it is well worth the time to get to know them.

I know your frustration, but it eventually this repair will get done and it will just be a bad memory. Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
When it spun the bearing, did it cause any damage to the bearing holder? (cant think of correct name at this time) My machine shop, if I recall right said it was $110 or something like that to line bore the crankshaft bearing area. I have 3 blocks and my machine shop guy showed me with would be the cheapest to rebuild. I did have one that will need that done if I ever needed it.

Hopefully you have a good machine shop in your area that can help with your decision and which would be the better route to go between more machine work or a new crankshaft. I am lucky to have a great machine shop guy to go to with my questions. If you find a good one in your area, it is well worth the time to get to know them.

I know your frustration, but it eventually this repair will get done and it will just be a bad memory. Wishing you the best of luck.
Hey Terry,

Thanks for chiming in...

The bearing cap seemed fine as a visual inspection, but looking at this picture, you can see the gap between the bearing and the cap.

I took a good bearing and placed it in the bearing cap and it popped in really snug. As far as visually it fit perfect with out any visual gap, play or movement. Still even so, it will be measured just for my surety.

I would like to say i know of a good machine shop, but the last time i did was back in the early 90's and they are long gone. I am looking for one, I kind of know that there are a good amount fly by night mechanics here in Miami, so the last time I had a real serious car issue I had it towed to the next county which was about a 40mile tow.

I guess I'm not to frustrated, just a little upset at myself for taking certain things for granted .
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Just a little update. Did some searching on the web, I found a crankshaft on the bay and the price was pretty inexpensive.

Cory advised me to contact ted (really nice guy) at engnbldr.com and I did. He responded with help information, but could not provided me with a crankshaft. He also said that shipping would up the cost if I wanted to send him mine, so he suggested not to.

I asked him about the one on the bay. He reviewed it and said that he's heard of the company, but doesn't know anything about them. Based on the model number it is a topline product and the product is Chinese, but not to panic there, so were all of the OEM shafts from circa 1991 on up. He mentioned he has used several and they were fine except for needing to be balanced.
He mentioned that the price is good and it being below normal dealer cost and noted that the added S/H is a tad high unless the distance is clear across the country. He mentioned he can buy from Topline the bare shaft through them.

All that helpful information in hand I emailed the company directly to find out if this crankshaft has been balanced as it includes all the bearings and is considered a kit. Which usually means you just drop it in, but don't get me wrong I should double check it myself... I have experience with that issue already that's what has gotten me to this point...HAHAHA

Last edited by junk4u; 05-19-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Crankshaft

Okay, a little update as what I am going to do about the crankshaft.

I finally got a reply from the company about the crankshaft kit through the bay. Though i have not heard from directly through their website yet.

It seems that these are made in china (which I've just learned so are all of them since 1991), but they are used worldwide and because of Teds comment on these it makes me a feel a lot better.

The shaft does not require balancing and the included bearings in the kit are from either Federal Mogul and ITM. Seems to be the way to go for me. I'm estimating the cost to be around $237 delivered. Can't be to bad...

Last edited by junk4u; 05-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

On a side note, I thought I'd throw this in there:

I have a vegi garden small one didn't think it was going to go out of control but it did.

First, i caught this over the weekend and it seems we've got a ton of them running around the neighborhood right now since the weather is hot and humid. It's a green iguana... not domestic to Florida that i know of.

Here's my banana I'm going to have soon. I have three of these busting out like this.

Name:  IMG00645_zpsa51bb0a2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  163.2 KB

Here's a squash plant, but can't seem to get any squashes. I've tried hand pollinating, but that does seem to produce anything so I'm letting it go wild in an 2' x 8' space and keep it bundling up to see if any of the bees will help pollinate it.

Name:  IMG00647_zpsbae01b95.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  96.4 KB

My broccoli is done, i didn't think they were going to get as big as it did the plant itself, but its practically spread it self out about 5' x 5' instead of staying in a 2 x 5 space.

Name:  IMG00640_zps22c54f0d.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  145.3 KB

Finished up the cabbage that was good, but most of it the cabbage worm took care of, i use neem oil and one other organic, but the cabbage worm

doesn't seem to care. i might have to dust next time with food Grade DE.

Name:  IMG00590_zpsa4a13f9d.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  180.7 KB

I have Bell Peppers, Tomatoes as well, and those 2 are now taking over most of the garden. Didn't think they grow as crazy or as big as they did, but some are telling me its the compost, which is comprised of grass cutting, vegi scraps and coffee grinds by the ton from starbucks. Must be something as the banana tree is three times the girth at the base as the original trees that it came from which my moms house. The banana tree is growing next my compost pile.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Update on Crankshaft

Okay, i ordered the crankshaft earlier today and just received confirmation from UPS that a shipping label was created. So as soon as the carrier has the box in hand, they will give me an idea as to its ETA. now it just a matter of camping out and waiting till the part arrives.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Paint Primer

Hey all got a question about painting. I was thinking of doing a little bit of body work and priming to minimize body rust. terry maybe able to answer this question, but I'd like to know if I can use that green airplane primer as I maybe able to get enough to prime most of the truck. The thing is I've actually been looking at some of the epoxy primers or just regular automotive primer, but my neighbor maybe able to get a little of this airplane primer to start priming it.

I know that this airplane prime has Zinc Chromate in its chemistry and bond very good, but at the same time, I understand it bonds better to straight metal and doesn't like oxidation.

Terry if you're chiming let me know what you think.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Your garden is looking great. One of the best meals we ever had one time was when we had an all vegetabe dinner we made from picking the things out of our garden. Right now we havent even been able to start a garden. Still having to grow the tomatoe plants in the house. Hoping everything else will have time to grow when the weather gets better and stays better.

I have never used airplane primer and dont know what it will or wont do. You can use primer for a temporary protective coat for a period of time. But it will let moisture in eventually and can cause rust to take off again. It will last a while but it isnt necessarily water proof.

Also if you use primer and it sits out in the atmosphere, it will need to be sanded back off again before painting as it will get alot of contaminates out of the air. The 64 Chevy I have posted on my 85 build has been in primer for a couple of years, and I can tell it is wanting to take off in rust again soon if I dont get in and take care of it. Seems like when it starts surface rusting, it can almost happen over nite.

I would suggest trying to get the rust off and then give it some good heavy coats of primer until you can get to it at a later time.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM

Received 202 Likes on 143 Posts
Junk - your garden looks great. I need to get one going in our new house. We do have some mango trees in the back with some good fruit on them, but I need some vegetables! Your soil looks pretty good there, so I'm guessing that is not in the ground, do you make garden beds?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Junk - your garden looks great. I need to get one going in our new house. We do have some mango trees in the back with some good fruit on them, but I need some vegetables! Your soil looks pretty good there, so I'm guessing that is not in the ground, do you make garden beds?

Hey Cory,

Thanks for chiming in... Yeah, that soil is a pain to keep up with it, but it really didn't cost me much. It's mostly compost with a about 100lbs of sand mixed in. The compost is comprised of grass cutting and coffee grounds from starbucks (I get 30-50lb bags every other day) plus egg shells are the white stuff you see (calcium for the plants). The reason its a pain, every week the raised bed sinks a little because the worms love it. The worms are eating up the compost and love the add coffee grinds. The worm casting are great because it makes the soil rich and fertile.

Here's a pic of my pile of compost about 2 months ago. It's a lot larger than that now and will be a lot more large once I get my mower part and cut the grass again. Needs a good cutting again considering all the rain we've gotten.

Name:  pile_zpsd37e5bb3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  70.4 KB

it took me almost a year to fill the raised bed, as I only added the compost and 100lbs of sand. I let the worms work on the raise bed for about 10 months before planting anything in it. It's a 5 x10 space, about 16" deep, the worms came on their own we didn't have to buy them. Here's a picture way back of the worms, we dug up the soil to see if there was actually anything happening inside there and we where surprised that worms were there and the amount of worms in a 2'x2' part of the bed.

Name:  worms_zps77d006c1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  89.9 KB

Once most of the vegies are done, i have turn the soil again, but I need another 6" of compost just to fill it back up as it has sunk that far.

The bad part of the whole thing is the bugs, I don't use strong pesticides mostly organic stuff... Neem and spinocad and a little mineral oil pesticide depending on the plant, but those cabbage worms could careless. So I may have to use Food Grade DE next time.

Last edited by junk4u; 05-22-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Just found some rims basically the original Stock rims for the the SR5 models, I believe this set came from a 2nd gen truck, but fits the 1st Gen.

I borrowed this photo from another posting to use as an example of what they look like.

Name:  sr5_zpsd258bb42.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  66.3 KB

What do you guys think is the best price I should offer for these?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junk4u
Just found some rims basically the original Stock rims for the the SR5 models, I believe this set came from a 2nd gen truck, but fits the 1st Gen.

I borrowed this photo from another posting to use as an example of what they look like.

What do you guys think is the best price I should offer for these?
Those are the same wheels I have on my sr5 first gen. Unless the PO of mine put them on, I would say they came off a first gen. I wouldn't give much for them but I don't know what they're worth.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DillonC
Those are the same wheels I have on my sr5 first gen. Unless the PO of mine put them on, I would say they came off a first gen. I wouldn't give much for them but I don't know what they're worth.
Hi DillonC, Thanks for chiming in here. I believe that these rims where originally install on most SR5 4Runners and Trucks from 1986 to 1995.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 AM

Update 5/29: Finally got my new(not re-manufactured or ground) crankshaft and it looks very good. Looks like it was balance during production. The bearings included with it are from federal mogul - Sealed Power Bearings and the thrust washers are from ITM. I've heard good things about both companies. Since my 86 is hogging the space in my garage and is incapacitated at the moment, i won't start working on the engine for a while. You ask why, weather stinks right now all I see is water. Rain for the next 10 days or more, hope is not 40 days and 40 nights, not only will it mess with me working on my engine, but it will reek havoc on my vegi garden too much water. I'll get some pics up of the crankshaft soon.

I also got my the mower starter re-coil in at the same time briggs and stratton charges an good amount for these parts, I haven't cut my lawn in 2 1/2 weeks and the grass is 4 inches high. guess I'm going to work on the replacing the mower starter re-coil today and possibly cut a little grass in the rain, cause if i wait 10 days, I'm sure the grass will grow another 6in with all this water.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Just thinking about I thought I'd give you all how I made my decision when I purchased the crankshaft.

1) Searched the web for crankshaft including epay and located a few retailer for the items.

2) Contacted the company and asked questions to see how they were answered.

3) Contacted a few individuals and asked about the company as well as asked what do they think about the product.

4) Rounding up all the info I got, I made my choice.

One of the selections was from a company called Japanengine.com, There prices seems cheaper and were also brand new not re-manufactured. I read the reviews of for this company on various sites. They seem to have a good price for a lot of things, but some how or another it seems everyone that got a great deal ended up paying more later. Poor service and it seems poor quality of workmanship and possibly seconds quality of material being used. With all the info gathered from this company service and quality, i would recommend staying far away from them, just my thoughts
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 AM

Tow Trailer

Need a little help here with this answer as i have only pull a enclosed trailer loaded with boxed cargo.

I need to know what is the minimum trailer length a 1st or 2nd Gen 4Runner can be towed on? Please help with answer as I have a chance to get a trailer, but I think it is really shorter than i would require.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 202 Likes on 143 Posts
Junk, the first gen wheel base is 103inches, or 8.5feet. If the truck has 31" tires on it, you'd also need 1/2 of the tire diameter added at both front and rear, so add another 31" to the wheelbase to get 134 inches, which is 11ft . So that is the absolute minimum. I think 12ft would really be the size you would need for a first gen to fit.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Junk, the first gen wheel base is 103inches, or 8.5feet. If the truck has 31" tires on it, you'd also need 1/2 of the tire diameter added at both front and rear, so add another 31" to the wheelbase to get 134 inches, which is 11ft . So that is the absolute minimum. I think 12ft would really be the size you would need for a first gen to fit.

Hey Cory Thanks for that info, I was looking for my original 86 4runner Brochure that I have and it states the overall exterior length is 176.5 or more like 14'+/-. I'm guessing you are correct, but i wondering how far off the trailer the truck would sit if it does exceed the over length of the trailer.

Quick Reply: 1987 4Runner Cyber Dude