84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

MCTacodriver's 1985 Pick-up Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCTacodriver's 1985 Pick-up Build Up Thread

Well, I have an 09 Tacoma that I had been wheeling for a while with, and after a couple months I realized I didn't like tearing up a $28,000 truck. So a couple weeks ago I went out and bought an 85 4x4 pickup for $1000. It has it's issues, a good amount of rust, won't start at the moment, definitely needs tires. So for right now I am focusing on trying to get it started. Replaced the fuel filter, next will be the fuel pump, and I'm going to try rebuilding the carburetor. I have never really done more work other than basic maintenance on vehicles before, so this is a learning experience for me. (read: involves a lot of me staring at engine scratching head)

Unfortunately/fortunately, I am an aircrew member on KC-130J's in the USMC. This means I spend a lot of time out flying to far off places, which means work will often progress slowly. For instance, I just found out yesterday I may be leaving for a month on Tues, and in Oct I will be headed out for about 3-8 months. The good part about all that, is per diem will for sure be helping with the build up of this truck!

Plans for this truck are as follows:
Get it running, reliably. On top of performing the necessary repairs to get it running, I will also change out all fluids, spark plugs etc. Then new tires shall come. Sand off any surface rust, and weld patches over the rust holes. After rust treatment, will paint it a flat rattle can black. I'm hoping to get all of that done before deploying in Oct.
After returning, I will start getting it ready for the trails. A 3" lift kit, armor, and lockers. Not sure on specific products for all that, I need to research more into what companies make quality products for these yota's. (Other than Marlin Crawler, I know nothing)

Now that you know the back ground story, here is the truck:

[/QUOTE]
Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It looks like its actually in good shape, once you get it running, lifted, tires and all that it will be a nice truck.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Good luck man. I have two jobs and know how it is on time. Money is no issue though, i just bought Longfields for my front axle. Locked up front and rear with dual cases. What other plans do you have for the rig?

Yukon for your gears, and possibly for your Rear locker, i'm running a Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear.

Trail Gear makes a ton of products for your truck. However their tech dept could use some help, dont call with questions. You better just figure it out on your own.

All pro offroad makes a rear disc swap that I installed and highly recomment, that and their tcase brake is nice.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Well, pretty much figured out that it was the carb keeping it from running. I rebuilt it and most of the valves were completely stuck closed. It also came to light that the idle compensator valve was missing. I have tried several junkyards, auto parts stores, and even Toyota and no one has that individual piece for sale, so I guess I'll be getting a new carburetor.

Thanks for the tips Horunner, I'm gonna start looking into those parts right now. I've been looking around on the internet at different lift set ups for these trucks, and what tire sizes you can fit on them, but haven't been able to find to much though. Definitely like the price of a lift kit for this thing versus the Tacoma, hell of a lot cheaper! What are the brands recommended to look into by this forum?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM

I recommend All pro off road, their 4in lift in the front and 5in lift in the rear is very popular. It comes with a front axle rebuild kit i beleive. With that lift they say you can run 38s. Which is true.....but...i wouldnt go flexing it out. They will definetly rub fender wells. I am running 4in front and 5in in the rear, sticking with something smaller than 36's. (22R wont like 38s anyways) I have 35s on it now with no problems rubbing at full flex. You will definetly want to go 1in smaller lift in the front, keeps the vehicle level.

Some prefer Trail Gear lift kits, i prefer All pro their springs seem to last longer. Alcan makes some of the best spring packs available for 1st gen yotas.

Hope this helps. I've done tons of research on these 1st gen yotas so if you have some questions let me know i can help. I've been wrenching on mine for about 6 months now and have learned alot. All i can say is dig in and do it yourself, its fun when its not a daily driver.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM

I wasn't planning on going with that much lift, wanted to keep it 3" and below. The stock leaf springs are done though, they are just a flat line. I wish I could wait until after getting lockers and armor to go ahead and get tires and a lift, but dry rotted tires and dead leaf springs change the priority list a little.
The only thing I wasn't going to tackle alone was an engine rebuild (225K on the motor, figure it could use it). Don't have the tools, engine stand or know how to do that alone. Fortunately my friend has an engine stand, tools, and the knowledge.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM

They do make a 3in for the front and 4in rear. Some prefer that with 35's and below. I have heard some say the 4in is waay to tall. Center of gravity gets awful high.

I was going to suggest moving rear springs up front and getting chevy 63's for the rear but if they are shot never mind that. Its a cheap way of getting around 3in of lift up front and 4 in in the rear.

Mine is needing and engine rebuild also. Unfortunately i dont have anyone with engine stand or the knowledge to do that. So i'll get it rebuilt around tax time. 196K on motor that blows oil by and is losing compression.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Ya, biggest size tire I was running would be maybe up to a 35, most likely a 33 at first though. May have to go hit up some junk yards for the chevy 63's, had read a little bit about those...

Tax time is a great time to do anything for the toys!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM

Tax time is also bonus time at work. Last year bonus was 4K!! This year has been awesome at work. So expect another 4K bonus. I think i see a paint job and motor rebuild soon.....
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My 86 4Runner has a total of 16'' of lift, probably a little taller than you want to go. It has 5'' trail gear springs in the front, 63'' chevy lift springs in the rear, and 37'' tires. I have duel cases and 4.88 gears, detroit locker in the rear and a high pinion front with an ARB

Old 09-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Well, while waiting on the new weber carburetor to come in, I decided to line the interior with some bedliner. Stripped our the bench seat, seat belts and rubber matting that had been there. Put down 2 coats on the floor, 1 coat on the back wall. The back wall ran a little bit, but since there will be a bench seat there I'm not to worried about it.
Forgot to take a picture before starting to spray, but both floorboards are in excellent condition.

Bench seat is in all right condition, has a hole going on the drivers side.

Took these friggin steps off the truck as well

Taco and the Toy!

And this is a sick ass old school dually 1 ton toyota that is parked behind my yota in the storage yard.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to get my hands on a yota dually like that.

Looks good. When I started out I told myself 3" and 33's was plenty big... well that didn't last too long. You'll get the bug too once you start getting into it.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Awesome. I love the tan 84 85 trucks. Looks good. Ima subscribe to this one.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

nice truck... I just came into a backyard find like that myself. everything is fine on mine except the weber carb...gotta tweak it. I was a hard core chevy man but i like the lil yota's so ima get into em i think.... nice truck though.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 AM

I was a ford man til I got my 09 Tacoma, now I've got two toyota's and I recommend them to anyone. Where are you stationed at? Lejeune or Cherry Point? I'm up in CP myself
Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Well, looks like I'm going to get a new carburetor, trying to decide between getting a weber 32/36, or the weber 38. The motor is going to be rebuilt while I am deployed by my friend, and will probably be with the 261C cam from engnblder. Would it be worth it to get the 38, or will the 32/36 cut it? And if I just decide to rebuild the engine and keep the stock cam setting, will the 38 be to much?

Last edited by MCTacodriver; 09-12-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 AM

For what it's worth, my 85 was in the same condition when I bought it: just wouldn't run. So I bought a 32/36 Weber, truck ran again, and with decent power but dieseled when I turned it off and it wouldn't smog... So, I had the factory carb rebuilt and now it runs, starts, shuts off and smogs. It's also way smoother than the Weber too, if that matters. I wish I'd just rebuilt the stock one to start with...
Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Wish that was an option, but my stock carb was just completely useless. It was missing multiple pieces, and while trying to take it apart, several screw heads separated from the body of the screws. When that happened I just said screw it and threw it away...Thinking back there was probably something better to do with it then chuck it, but I live in a military barracks so I have very little room to store anything.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM

you still got the steps? i just got a 85 and it is lifted got it today and is real hard to get in lol ill have a build up thread soon need to take pics
Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM

I do, they're sitting in the bed of my Tacoma right now. PM me if you want them, I'll give em to you dirt cheap+shipping.

Quick Reply: MCTacodriver's 1985 Pick-up Build Up Thread