84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

boxxerace's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the guys email. I kind of don't think I'll go that route since I have not sold the BB yet.

Do a quick search on Craigslist, he is on Bainbridge island.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boxxerace
I have the guys email. I kind of don't think I'll go that route since I have not sold the BB yet.

Do a quick search on Craigslist, he is on Bainbridge island.
I would but I cant afford it right now plus I have nowere for it. Thats to bad it sounds sweet
Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

I hear yah... my wife would flip with another chassis hanging around
Old 02-01-2008, 01:19 PM

I hear yah... my wife would flip with another chassis hanging around
ya I already get ripped everyday for having mine in the driveway. Damn the home owners too someone complained about a non moving truck with all the windows down rain or shine. We asked to be mosre specific and ther wrote back the black one and we told them it doesnt need windows and we like the rain haha they never wrote again
Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
ya I already get ripped everyday for having mine in the driveway. Damn the home owners too someone complained about a non moving truck with all the windows down rain or shine. We asked to be mosre specific and ther wrote back the black one and we told them it doesnt need windows and we like the rain haha they never wrote again
dude you have windows......dont you?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Sounds like a cool project. Hopefully I will build something like that someday. I don't have enough time. I am on the pit crew fo a 2 wheeler pulling truck. The guy toasted the motor last year($20.000 mistake) and we are in the process of going through it. I guess that is what you get for turning 11k on a 2000 hp alcohol blown/injected big block but for now I'll just have to subscribe.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
dude you have windows......dont you?
I do but it was parked and I never rolled them up and had just about all the wiring apart. I was just lazy. Its got windows
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM

After some careful measuring I have decided on a direction for the drivetrain.

I am going to go with a doubler setup from either Offroaddesigns or NWfabworks. I am leaning towards the latter since the NWfab doubler allows more clocking options and has a bad arse shifter. The doubler will use the 32spline NP205 that already own and the reduction box from an NP203. Cool thing about the doubler, it is the same length as a stock NO203 and it allows both 2:1 and 4:1 reduction (or 6:1 with the lowmax).

Check out this shifter, oh so sweet:

Going this route adds a little bit of weight, but it is strong enough to run 54" tires and a big block, which in simple terms means that it can be ignored.

I am still trying to decide if I am going to sell my TH400 for a TH400 / NP203 output or a TH350 Output. The TH400 is a few inches longer (24" total), but it might push the setup too far back and make the passenger seat too high.

You can see here how the floor is cut and how the cage ties into the seat mounts. I might have to cut the passenger seat mount and modify it with the doubler setup. Roughly speaking the NP205 will sit right in the center of the skidplate. I am concerned that the output for the front driveshaft might interfere with the inverted 4-links, but only time will tell.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM

P.S. That is a Dana 300 in the picture. Note how it is more forwards than what it would be with a doubler setup. No biggy, I just have to cut the entire floor out

P.S. the previous owner of the body, mocked up some suspension before deciding to go the buggy route. Check out that flex!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 PM

It might take a bit of work to roll it over with it this low!
Let me drive it! Pretty sure I could have it on it's lid in less than 2 minutes. lol
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

wow i love that ill get there some day
Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 AM

updates?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
updates?
I wish I had something substantial to share. I did pick up a decent NP203 needed for the doubler.

I may be plumbing some long chevy leaf springs under the truck for the summer so I can sink into getting everything else working and bought. I am going to run full Hydro steering and probably a transfercase brake as a backup braking system.

I just bought the 8 gauge copper that I need to run 50 amps of juice to the welder and plasma. Once this is wired I'll be all hot and heavy to get cooking up some fun stuff! The game right now is dealing with a lack (although improved with daylight savings) of daylight and time. My wife and children will always come first, followed closely by my obsession to build things.

I admit, I have been out landscaping my yard instead of working on the truck. I guess I need a good flaming and I'll at least begin the project. I did find a nice low mileage 03' 4.3 liter chevy which would bolt in with zero modification to my existing engine mounts. I kind of wish I could find a turbo 4.3 liter and really put the hurt on the small block guys however!

P.S. Does anyone need a good low mileage Chevy Big Block with multipoint fuel injection?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. Does anyone need a good low mileage Chevy Big Block with multipoint fuel injection?

Wrong side of the country but ya i need one for a 63 chevy II project
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Looking sick. I love the seat mounts. I only wish I had a tube beder already so I could work on the cage. If I saw that before I did mine I may have changed the design. Mine should work good also and I will tie it into my internal portion of my cage for sure. Great flex you have BTW and I like the belly pan.

Cant wait to see some more. and as for chevy blocks My chevy 1500 gets decent mpg. Not sure on the actual millage but its good. No V8 will really be great for the millage or atlest any easily swapped. One if you know what I mean I bet youll find what your looking for. and lookin good
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Weres the updates at???
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. the previous owner of the body, mocked up some suspension before deciding to go the buggy route. Check out that flex!

You couldnt send me some more drawings/pictures/whatever you might have on that suspension setup... I'm going to 4-link mine and that amount of flex is around my goal... No need to reinvent the wheel! I'd REALLY appreciate anything ya got! (sorry to threadjack... nice build!)
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Not much of an update, especially sad considering it once had links and axles underneath.

I did what I could do on a whim, I started painting the body. Not that it really matters, it will end up nice and polished by our trees in the PNW. While it was warm I figured I better coat everything with a layer of something.

I painted the outside OD green. No, it is not the color you want to pick if you want to show up in a magazine. Since I don't really care, I went for the natural look. Besides, washington is full of greenies. Inside got a coating of bedliner. I still have some touch up to do here and there, but it is a start.

Note the tiny 10.5" ring gear, 14 bolt in the background. It sure is fun to move by yourself on gravel and dirt. Time to bolt her up I think.

I know, I win the lame update award. I blame my good priorities.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
You couldnt send me some more drawings/pictures/whatever you might have on that suspension setup... I'm going to 4-link mine and that amount of flex is around my goal... No need to reinvent the wheel! I'd REALLY appreciate anything ya got! (sorry to threadjack... nice build!)

I don't have much useful information right now. The fellow who designed the suspension in the picture had some very specific, rock-crawl performance goals. I, however, have more general goals while maintaining the same level of slinkyness.

I am probably not going to use the link mounts on my center transmission / rock slider mount. Instead, I think I am going to go with a more conventional 4 link with the uppers being angled, and the lowers being nearly straight. Both of which will use new frame mounts. Naturally, all of your links have to fit in and around your engine, drivetrain and anything else hanging down.

I am still sticking with keeping it low, wide and flexy.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Reality bites sometimes. Here's this truck, for sale. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f189...bed-wa-261996/

Quick Reply: boxxerace's 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread